Interest check: Skyrim

Started by applesauce, August 09, 2011, 05:30:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kate

well having the PLAYERS god-mode the environment also has its perks

for example

Person x:

Without giving the lancers a second thought the great <whtaver> opened the large ancient doors of the ruins beckoning all to quickly following him .. stating it would be easier to block the doors from the inside than face them on open ground outside...

Person Y:

Agreeing with <whtaever's plans> the witch nodded and before signalling she will be joining them a moment later - within a wink the form of three giant spiders seemed to resolve from smoke from the ground. Almost before they did their ghastly forms leaped on the horsemen galloping towards their foes and with horrid screams saw their fates sealed ... before turning their attention towards he mob of fanatics that had too much zealousness to stop charging now..  as the spiders wraught havock through the mob the witch retreated back to the others .. to have the doors
closed just before the bulk of the mob slammed into its rocky curves.

"Phew that was close... that spell exhausted me ... I cant help blocking the gates .. i need to rest ... now"

The robed figure murmured before slumping awkwardly where she stood, a state all knew would be one she would assume for hours.

Doing this is sooo much better than getting permission / waiting for the storyteller to approve the outcome of actions... or having the storyteller micro-manage a block of "trys" to resolve into something realistic. Its a fantasy setting let us feel we are powerful.

IF the storyteller had "hmm really wanted this to not work for them" ... they ALWAYS have options ..

Storyteller

"Escaping the army hot on their tails at least for the moment was thawted but their pounding on the doors reminded the team that whatever luck they had was going to be put to the test if they sort to leave through the same gates ... All very well and good if other exists appeared .. but once their eyes adjusted to the gloom what faced them was something that made their quick thinking seem futile. Another much more solid set of doors greeted them. And this set didn't show any signs of decay... strange runes littered its surface about a motive that showed a scene that would have one wondering why any would want to dream of entering let alone lingering in a place that surely was not sealed to prevent those entering ... but most likely designed to prevent what is inside ... leaving.

Always the storyreller can change the NEXT thing to return whatever favors or otherwise towards what they had in mind, not caring bout the outcome of one scene but letting the players express themselves as heros in character is what scenes are for ..

Seaweed

So?

Seaweed is okay to be in here?

Kate

Seaweed is cool in all oceans.

Alliance

I'm also interested. My brother informed me of this RP.

Is this to many people?

Kate

the storyteller and details are not resolved yet - it has perked a lot of interest but applesause was the instigator of the idea but it has so much momentum others are welling to storytell it regardless.

This was more a "well while there is intersest discuss ideas / lore / post characters etc" ... and likely one will run with being the storyteller soon afterwards (due to interest levels)

Alliance

I can do my Breton and convert him in here.

Dashenka

Sounds good although I am a little worried on the number of players and the cooperation between them. Also the story plot is not entirely clear to me. Can anyone help me out on that?
Out here in the fields, I fight for my meals and I get my back into my living.

I don't need to fight to prove I'm right and I don't need to be forgiven.

Kate

Concerning the number of players I see some things happening

a) Two separate threads (ie the group is split down the middle) and they go different ways - but may meet up with each other and break off again into three groups of ... or whatever

b) Two separate storys completely indepentant of each other (ie they dont meet / different world0

c) heaps of people express an interest immediately ... but 1/2 create characters .. and 1/3 of them actually post in the IC thread (vs forgetting about it) ... and then some drop out more or less instantly due to rl issues .. leaving a core group of less

Usually many express interests up front but only about 1/3 really end up being part of the core group due to their own reasons (ie dont post that often / real life etc)... so do assume that there will be room.

At least two are keen on storytelling anyway .. phps both will be keen on storytelling for different groups ... (ie point a).

Dashenka

Ok well sign me as interested :) As long as I can be a Nord with a massive hammer.

SargentToughie

Quote from: Kate on August 23, 2011, 07:43:24 AM
Concerning the number of players I see some things happening

a) Two separate threads (ie the group is split down the middle) and they go different ways - but may meet up with each other and break off again into three groups of ... or whatever

b) Two separate storys completely indepentant of each other (ie they dont meet / different world0

c) heaps of people express an interest immediately ... but 1/2 create characters .. and 1/3 of them actually post in the IC thread (vs forgetting about it) ... and then some drop out more or less instantly due to rl issues .. leaving a core group of less

Usually many express interests up front but only about 1/3 really end up being part of the core group due to their own reasons (ie dont post that often / real life etc)... so do assume that there will be room.

At least two are keen on storytelling anyway .. phps both will be keen on storytelling for different groups ... (ie point a).

that is actually a colossal concern of mine, as it seems to be a problem with each and every single RP I've ever been a part of. 8 people express interest, 4 people put in character sheets, 2 people post in the IC thread, and the GM sits around and waits for the other 6 people to catch up, resulting in the death of the RP. If I end up taking command of this thing, I'm going to be taking a page out of the Kingdom Hearts RP that I'm a part of right now, bu putting up separate threads for every region that can be explored throughout the game, giving each region it's own story arc and dilemma. Therefore, everything contributes to a singular story, but it's entirely optional for characters to interact with one another.
If you're reading my RPs from the outside and like my writing, feel free to drop me a line! I'm always looking for new, fun partners. :D
Ons and offs

Dashenka

Can I suggest something?

If we end up with a group of 5 or less people, make the whole game a group effort. That way there is always enough interaction, nobody is left out and you always be in the same 'zone' as the others.

Alliance

I think it's silly to have separate threads. I have run large scale fantasy RPs before with this many members and it worked out. Separate threads causes a problem when people leave, because if let's say three people were in region one and two people left. Well person three would have to one change the region he was in or stay in that region with no human interaction.

Revenent

Yeah, I don't think we have nearly enough interested people to warrant separate threads at the moment. I think, as long as the GM manages to keep the story interesting and compelling (and doesn't neglect the game for ages) and people have genuine interest in their characters, it should be fine. I don't see this as being the type of RP where people are just going to come in and try to play with their "epic" fanfiction characters, like another RP I'm sure you were thinking of when you voiced that concern.

Dashenka

Thats why it would need a plot... something we all agree on.

Alliance

Or simply something the GM can write up.

Dashenka, ever heard of to many chiefs not enough Indians.

I think really only one person, The GM, should come up with the plot.

Revenent

Aren't we already using the plot from Skyrim?

Alliance

Quote from: Revenent on August 23, 2011, 01:50:07 PM
Aren't we already using the plot from Skyrim?

I got no idea. The GM should establish this.

Kate

what about a compromise.

The storyteller never waits - there is no reason to - if they feel inspired to progress for whatever reason they god-mode everything.

(If intimacy happens etc ... THAT can branch off ... idea sex scenes can be done in a separate thread - just have the top part of it implying what its about so any involved can skip to ones they are part of and skim over the others. )

Anyway no need to cross bridges until we get to them ... i think its time to post characters !

Revenent

I don't really think DemonWing is the type to just push on through with whatever he feels like without warning everyone first, or take solo total control over the plot, but it all depends on what he decides for now.

And speaking of that, Mr. GM, are we sticking with a one-character limit for now?

Kate

please one character limit - its more believable to other players (no need to have more)

Revenent

Quote from: Kate on August 24, 2011, 09:20:55 AM
please one character limit - its more believable to other players (no need to have more)

Entirely subjective, but I'm willing to go with whatever.

Kate

Name: Sandra Ulun
Focus: Creature Summoner
Race:  Brenton

Nature:

A born talented witch Ulun has always believed the best tactic to staying alive is having more things working for you than whatever else is seeking to do you harm.  She believes no matter how smart an opponent is, their plans will fall flat when juggling too much under pressure. So far she has been right due to her choice of summoning spells she is in a constant state of refining.

Unlike most who focus on complementing their powers with ones which see to their weaknesses, this sorceress has instead focused on mastering summoning to an art at the detriment of other spells areas. Such a focus has given her the ability to manage multiple creatures at the same time. Success is not often far from her doing so for her choices always suit a scene. In this regard she always has something working on her side that is perfectly adapted for the environment, an ace that works wonders. If frightened her instinct is to summon a swarm of wasps which attack anything attacking her. Even though they may not kill her foes outright, so far none have paid attention to her form running away while fending wasps from their eyes.

Her dream is to be able to summon dragons to do her bidding, but her attempts to do so has led her to beleive that the creatures are not summoned
from a place, not pulled from another location but actually created for a short time by will. To gain mastery of such she has begun to dabble in "summoning"
types of life not seen before from her imagination. So far partial success has been realized in the form of creatures with demonic forms.

If such forms were intentional or a natural outcome of a witch like herself attempting such a path - she has not revealed nor would speak of such if pressed to do so.

Talents

Witch: Prodigious Creature Summoner

Favorite spells

Summon Wasp swarm
  Summon Great cats
  Summon Demonic Ally

Personality

Ulun talks in a deep sultry whispering tone that is more distant than engaging and seeks power in ways most do through pure wealth, ancient secrets, rituals or artifacts. She also deeply believes more power can be tapped by adjusting thought patterns, for where else could the first of the great powers come from - other than insight gained by a shift in perspective. 

Possessions

Fine silk dresses.
  Hooded Velvet full length Coat
  Stout Riding boots
  Dagger
  Assorted soaps
  Pouch-of-Gold-coins
  Horse (with saddle bags stocked with food and water)

SargentToughie

Alright, well, let's take a vote on this right now, shall we? How many people want to do multiple characters, vs. how many people only want one? I know that people like me and Rev always seem to pack at least 2 characters in most of our RPs, so I was considering making the limit 4 until I heard the request for single players.
If you're reading my RPs from the outside and like my writing, feel free to drop me a line! I'm always looking for new, fun partners. :D
Ons and offs

Dashenka

Im not a fan of games with too much characters so let's see how much players we get at the start. Then we can always decide otherwise

Aurora Wayland

Name: Onyx "Netheral" Wayland
Focus: Necrotic Knight
Race:  Imperial

Nature:

Onyx Wayland was daughter of a noble family in the Imperial city. From an early age she was raised to be a member of the Order of The Blades, like her father before her. She was a happy child, being full of mirth and kindness. On her 16th birthday she took her vows for the Blades and traveled to Skyruler Temple. Her first mission was to scout a newly found Ayleid Ruins just near the border of Skyrim. Little did she know she would be changed forever.

Onyx and a few dozen other blades went in. Only 'Netheral' came out.  She had changed, physically and mentally. Her skin was pale, eyes ablaze with blue ice. She no longer laughed or loved. Her own desire was power. The weapon she carried bore the name "Netheral". The runes etched into the blade glow with a hypnotic hue.

Netheral's only goal is power.

Talents

Summon Undead
Mastery of 2 handed sword.
Some Necromancy Spells.
Heavy Armor

Favorite spells

Summon Undead
Silence
Destruction

Personality

Onyx is cold and distant. She rarely shows any emotion and is known to be a great listener. She has also been known to be vicious in combat and only a few people have been left to live to tell the tale. Her voice is often quiet, and carried a spark of magical energy.

Possessions

Armor (in Picture)
2 Handed sword, etched in magical runes.
Dagger
Rations
Bed Roll
Pouch of Gold Coins (130)