Main Menu

Laurel Or Yanny?

Started by Love And Submission, May 16, 2018, 02:34:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Love And Submission

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaqQ00yvs_8

It's clearly Laurel.

#TeamLaurel.

I haven't been this invested in a debate since "Which Color Is This Dress" Or "If A Dog Wore Pants, How Would It Wear Them?"

Discord: SouthOfHeaven#3454

Nico

I can hear both. Depends on what word I focus on.

It's a really good example of how much the brain influences our perception. It also shows how very subjective perception can be.

wander

'Laurel' for me.

Honestly, I thought upon hearing about this meme that it'd be harder to differentiate.  :D

Oniya

I tried really hard, but I can't hear anything but 'Laurel'.  (I'm one of those people that can make the ballerina spin both ways, and pop a Necker cube between both orientations.)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Blythe

RampantDesires

's Laurel for me as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDiXQl7grPQ

This made me feel a little better about the whole argument :P  Go old ears?

They say best men are moulded out of faults, and, for the most part, become much more the better for being a little bad...
Absences 11/10 ≈ BlindfoldsRequests ≈  On's and Offs
<THIS SPACE PRETTIFIED SOON>
Tentatively Open to a few more 1v1's but also come write with me in Grey Matters--->

Beguile's Mistress

I heard Laurel but after watching the segment on NBC Nightly News tonight I learned the secret.

Spoiler
The secret is the frequency of what we hear.
High pitched sounds like Yanny are heard by younger ears.
Lower pitches are more audible to older ears.

RedRose

Yeni on my comp , Yery on my phone
O/O and ideas - write if you'd be a good Aaron Warner (Juliette) [Shatter me], Tarkin (Leia), Wilkins (Faith) [Buffy the VS]
[what she reading: 50 TALES A YEAR]

midnightblack

Quote from: Oniya on May 16, 2018, 03:35:31 PM
I tried really hard, but I can't hear anything but 'Laurel'.  (I'm one of those people that can make the ballerina spin both ways, and pop a Necker cube between both orientations.)

The same on all of my accounts as well. I've known about being able to reflect the orientation of a parallelepiped ever since my first lessons in synthetic geometry. I wasn't aware of the ballerina until you mentioned it. With an effort of will, I can make her change the way she screws, which I find amusing and a little bit disturbing. Maybe it's a small thing to pull out a Mark Twain on, but the truth of it all is that the world we see isn't really there. There's a very small window of information that the brain focuses on, and then the raw data is sorted and fitted into whatever categories the brain is comfortable seeing (or even wanting to see, really spooky). If we could see down to the root of it all, the weird thing is that we would probably be gazing into a blob of entropic emptiness.

As for the sound, try as I might I can only hear Laurel on several computers and different headsets. Haven't tried on a phone.
The Midnight Lodge (O2 thread & completed tales compendium)
Thy Nightly Chambers (requests) updated!
Amazonia Mythos (world-building details for some of my recurring themes and characters; can always serve as a starting point for discussions of collaborative writing)
Zerzura (albeit short, the best collaborative story I've ever completed here)

Naiah

Laurel

My SO cant hear either, he hears something along the lines of Hear me O.o

persephone325

Quote from: Nico on May 16, 2018, 02:40:38 PM
I can hear both. Depends on what word I focus on.

It's a really good example of how much the brain influences our perception. It also shows how very subjective perception can be.

Laurel is more prominent, and I hear Yanny very quietly in the background.
This doesn't have to end in a fight, Buck.
It always ends in a fight.
You pulled me from the river. Why?
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

Nico

Quote from: persephone325 on May 18, 2018, 03:58:46 AM
Laurel is more prominent, and I hear Yanny very quietly in the background.
Yes!

I've also noticed that it differs, depending on where you listen to it. It sounds different on my phone than on my laptop, for example, but yes, Laurel seems to be the more prominent frequency.

Geeklet

On my comp, No matter how hard I try, I can only hear Yanny. On my phone, its still usually Yanny, but if I concentrate hard on Laurel, I can hear it.

Vekseid

Quote from: Geeklet on May 22, 2018, 04:53:27 PM
On my comp, No matter how hard I try, I can only hear Yanny. On my phone, its still usually Yanny, but if I concentrate hard on Laurel, I can hear it.

I'm the opposite. I can hear the tones that make it say 'yanny' but the 'laurel' sound is overwhelmingly clear.

MasterMischief

I have heard both listening to the same clip repeatedly.  At first I clearly heard Yanni.  Severy times...Yanni.  Then I did not roll the clip all the way to the beginning...caught it in the middle and heard Laurel clear as day.  Repeat...Laurel again.  Repeat, Yanni.

I think I am a mutant and I am ok with that.

RosalindRae

I did the interactive thing with the slider. At first, all I could hear was Laurel. I shifted the slider until I could hear Yanny, but then when I went back the other direction, all I could hear was Yanny. Maybe it is like the ballerina thing for me, dunno.

backlash84

The person who did the recording actually says "Laurel", but added some stuff on top of it that creates the weird effect. I've only ever heard Laurel.

RedPhoenix

I very clearly hear Yanny. I can't even make it seem like Laurel if I try very hard to hear that.
Apologies & Absences | Ons & Offs | Canon in Red
I move the stars for no one.