The Kingmaker (Pathfinder Adventure Path 1-20) (Closed?)

Started by TheScarletBlade, April 01, 2018, 12:37:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saric

Quote from: Vergil Tanner on April 05, 2018, 08:14:47 AM
Aaah, I misunderstood. XD eh, attack rolls don't bother me. ONE of them is gonna hit :P and if you're a half orc with Ferocious Summoning, your Summoned Creatures get Ferocity. And of course, Druids get Wild Shape and Natural Spell, as well as the ability to pay a spell in order to cast Summon Ally again. Suddenly, flying monster spawn point! :P

An alternate route is to go Human, get Fey Magic, choose "Recharge innate magic" as a spell like ability, then work out how to get Summon Monster as a Spell Like Ability...

Personally I prefer using one of the Totem Animal Archetypes to get the Summon Nature's Ally cast time down to a standard action. (Example) You loose some of your wild-shaping versatility but if you pick something like the Saurian Shaman you can find a form for most any occasion anyway. Over all I feel it's a specialization worth taking and nothing is quite as fun as a instant Raptor. :P

Quote from: wander on April 05, 2018, 09:36:28 AM
Seeing as we're chatting optimising, anyone wanna give my Halfling Bard a going over (...phrasing...) and maybe suggest some tweaks I could do before the game(s) start?

Well first of all what is the aim of your character? Are they going to be a Support Bard? Or a Combat Bard? Do you want them casting spells and singing for their buffs? Why a Bard in the first place? It's hard to offer advice without knowing the goal. If all you want to do is buff the party then you could grab the Flagbearer feat and stack it with your Inspire Courage song, the save bonuses are both moral based and don't stack, but the attack and damage bonus from Inspire Courage is competence bonus, so you're 1st level bard could be giving the party a +2 to attack and damage rolls for the beginning!
"I believe in dragons, good men, and other fantasy creatures." - Slovotsky's Law #42

“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”― Neil Gaiman, Coraline

“The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.” - Terry Pratchett (Rest in Peace, Master Storyteller)

wander

Original concept was charismatic archer, decided to weigh heavier on the charismatic side after Vergil wanted to be an archer. Bards are que charismatic. ^^ So, in essence, combat bard really.

Saric

Quote from: wander on April 05, 2018, 11:48:31 AM
Original concept was charismatic archer, decided to weigh heavier on the charismatic side after Vergil wanted to be an archer. Bards are que charismatic. ^^ So, in essence, combat bard really.

Okay so you want a charismatic character that's good at fighting? Why not a Swashbuckler or a Gunslinger?

Just to be clear on terms at 'combat bard' is one that's good at dealing damage personally. If you want to make everyone do more damage that's a 'support bard'.
"I believe in dragons, good men, and other fantasy creatures." - Slovotsky's Law #42

“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”― Neil Gaiman, Coraline

“The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.” - Terry Pratchett (Rest in Peace, Master Storyteller)

Roleplay Frog

Quote from: wander on April 05, 2018, 09:36:28 AM
Seeing as we're chatting optimising, anyone wanna give my Halfling Bard a going over (...phrasing...) and maybe suggest some tweaks I could do before the game(s) start?

A knockout bard? *Chuckles* Optimization always has a prize, for example, as Saric notes, if you want to be optimized for combat you'd likely only dip bard to gain spell or ability X. If you want to fully roleplay a bard and gimp yourself with 'combat focused as best as bard can be' as a roleplay device, that's something different.

wander

I was admittedly wanting to keep to the corebook. I'm keeping on Bard now, purely because going through Gear was a pain in the ass and I don't want to tweak that due to another class doling out different gold coins.

Roleplay Frog

See, what you are doing now is asking for improvements yet binding everyones hands.

-> Make my character better in combat
-> Halfling (Race that's already not so good at damage output)
-> Core book only
-> Stay as bard with the given gear

I dunno, grab improved initative or power attack? *shrug* Those help in combat.

Saric

Quote from: wander on April 05, 2018, 12:30:49 PM
I was admittedly wanting to keep to the corebook. I'm keeping on Bard now, purely because going through Gear was a pain in the ass and I don't want to tweak that due to another class doling out different gold coins.

Both Swashbuckler and Gunslinger get more money (5d6x10 instead of the bard's 3d6x10). So all you'd have to do is buy any class specific equipment with the extra cash. And it's better to put in the work now, and be done with it, then spend the entire game playing a character that's not quite right and feeling underpowered.

That said you still haven't confirmed if you want to do more damage personally or in general.

For that matter are you still using the sheet on page 2? I didn't see another one but that one is using Point-Blank-Shot, when Weapon Finesse and a rapier would serve you better.

@TSB:
Are we going to be keeping track of weight, ammo, and/or food? I've been in games that go ether way on such a regular basis that I figured I should ask before we start. :P

Roleplay Frog

I wanna add that 'being good in combat' doesn't translate to having fun necessarily, like, Frog girl wont do much if thrust into combat without a chance to prepare and even if prepared would turn into a mid-tier supporter, low tier rogue skillmonkey against poison immune things. .. but she's not ment to shine in combat primarly, happy to leave that to others (Unless DM says 'this be combat-heavy, better reconsider-yo')

Even if you are combat focused, what matters is your group strength, any proper DM will gear the challenge towards how you perform together, not stick strictly to what a book says.. because the system is so easy to break. Being mediocre good on paper can be awesome. I, for example, had insane fun with the utterly rediculous combination of Titan mauler and Titan fighter coupled with every 'fuck you if you are bigger than me' feat I could unload onto a str focused halfling using a greatsword bigger than themselfs. (People stopped laughing when they saw what risky striker plus power attack plus reckless rage could do on a hit...)

Petrus02

I'd be most interested in playing a ranger, but seeing as theres no way to start out with an animal companion, and no way but beastmaster to gain access to all animal companions, i guess i'd like to go hunter instead.
backstory would be fairly simple, an outcast from kyonin driven out by false accusations seeking to built a safe haven for those of similar fate. Will submit a charsheet and more complete background on the weekend

Zaer Darkwail

Also GM can form party which supports each other; example my warlord can with swift action provide everyone in party (at 30'ft range) +2 bonus to attack and damage rolls for 1 round. Also we are playing kingmaker so we are not entirely combat focused module; we are building a kingdom and it also involves politics and crafting and even doing mass scale warfare which involves knowledge rolls and planning. Kingmaker has rather wide spectrum of activity what you can do and combat is just one of those things (true, crucial stuff happens at combat but so can happen in other fields as well which can make battles easier or harder to do).

Overall key point is to make a char which you do enjoy the most and need focus on what is central theme/idea behind the char. As mentioned swashbuckler can fill fantasy of charismatic swordsman with witty repertoire (and can be 'bard' by just taking trait which grants you perform as class skill and invest ranks for it).

Anyways as question; are Background Skill rules used and if not would GM allow them? Also will GM use Kingmaker kingdom building rules or rules from ultimate campaign guide (they are different but do same thing and most consider campaign guide version 'fixed' version).

Quote from: Petrus02 on April 05, 2018, 01:18:52 PM
I'd be most interested in playing a ranger, but seeing as theres no way to start out with an animal companion, and no way but beastmaster to gain access to all animal companions, i guess i'd like to go hunter instead.
backstory would be fairly simple, an outcast from kyonin driven out by false accusations seeking to built a safe haven for those of similar fate. Will submit a charsheet and more complete background on the weekend

Hunter is very fine choice; gives feel of ranger with animal companion :).

Roleplay Frog

Frankly, I hope things don't get too combat focused. not because my character is more of a social crafter type, but also because long combat scenes are what kills forum rps the most.

wander

Aye, tis more to rpg than combating. I'm pretty happy with my lil dood, it's not like we're doing full min/max munchkin's delight ala Shadowrun, right?

Zaer Darkwail

Aye, long combat kills RP's and I plan specialize my char do lots of things in his turn ensure fights end fast :). Anyways below is list of charsheets posted so far;

Vergil Tanner: Drazzek Farstrider (Human male fighter/mutated warrior, CG)
wander: Serpico (Halfling male bard, CG)
Miroque: Malekeh Aliisa (Human female sorceress/efreeti, CG)
Deva: Largya Debubloblob (Frog Girl alchemist/bogborn/Toxicant/Vivisectionist, NE)
JoanieSappho: Linde Verena (Human female swashbuckler/Rostland Bravo, LE)
Zaer Darkwail: Chad Rogarvia (Human male warlord/vanguard commander, LE)
persephone325: Aurora DeWynter (Dhampir female druid/mooncaller, N)

Summary; three clearly evil PC's, three clearly good guys (rebel scum!) and one neutral PC.

Roleplay Frog

Lol I never noticed that, we're basically light vs dark side up in this. Now this I'd like to mix and match as DM :P

Or just have a good and an evil team, my money is on the rebels causing more mayhem than the law abiding, yet selfish 'Evil get's things done' groupup.

CG: 'Let's do the right thing in defending this kingdom. But let's make sure everyone gets a say first! I think we should offer them a chance to surrender.'

LE: 'Alright, Frog-girl, you poison their water supplies, then I'll lead the charge on them  where they are weakest. Try to take hostages for latter use.'

Saric

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on April 05, 2018, 02:06:57 PM
Aye, long combat kills RP's and I plan specialize my char do lots of things in his turn ensure fights end fast :). Anyways below is list of charsheets posted so far;

Vergil Tanner: Drazzek Farstrider (Human male fighter/mutated warrior, CG)
wander: Serpico (Halfling male bard, CG)
Miroque: Malekeh Aliisa (Human female sorceress/efreeti, CG)
Deva: Largya Debubloblob (Frog Girl alchemist/bogborn/Toxicant/Vivisectionist, NE)
JoanieSappho: Linde Verena (Human female swashbuckler/Rostland Bravo, LE)
Zaer Darkwail: Chad Rogarvia (Human male warlord/vanguard commander, LE)
persephone325: Aurora DeWynter (Dhampir female druid/mooncaller, N)

Summary; three clearly evil PC's, three clearly good guys (rebel scum!) and one neutral PC.

You missed a few. :P

Quote from: Diabolus Lupus on April 03, 2018, 08:14:31 PM
https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1543897

I got the Tank covered. :D Dorn Sharpaxe reporting to kill things. Let me know if I forgot anything.

Quote from: Saric on April 03, 2018, 03:18:56 PM
Serra Heavensblood

*snip*

Quote from: ThatFantasticBard on April 03, 2018, 12:18:41 PM
Here's my character sheet

Took a wee bit longer than I had expected to get it together, but I should have a backstory put together by tomorrow.

So that's 2 more CN and a CG. :P

Roleplay Frog

Geesh, 10 folks. If I had known there was such a hunger for pathfinder...

Zaer Darkwail

Ah, my bad. Forgot few :P. Yeah, pathfinder and their paths popular because there are lots of peeps want try the paths + the fact that when path based games do start; GM's or players may disappear or not post and thus games which start then slowly die and then players who got in are left with unfinished game and desire complete it. So they apply to new game which shows up after few months or over a year later.

LizzieV

O/O

wander

Honestly, I find 5e more fun going in, just generating characters concurrently (more or less) as I have done. That's just me though. Pathfinder's neat as I haven't done 3.5 in a long time, though I know which of the pair currently I favour.

And looking at the characters... They look like the weirdest gestalt multiclassers when listed out like that... And I just have 'Halfling male Bard'... ^^;

Lizzie; It's made by Paizo, so it should be fine.

Also... Based on above comment from Deva on the split and how we'd do things... You're assuming I'm gonna be playing CG as beta-cuck son?  :D

Roleplay Frog

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on April 05, 2018, 03:21:18 PM
Ah, my bad. Forgot few :P. Yeah, pathfinder and their paths popular because there are lots of peeps want try the paths + the fact that when path based games do start; GM's or players may disappear or not post and thus games which start then slowly die and then players who got in are left with unfinished game and desire complete it. So they apply to new game which shows up after few months or over a year later.

Something to keep in mind then, I was wondering why this got so wild whereas my 5.0 kinda durdles around. I can easily run pathfinder as well, all it is is a bit more work checking out all the different build options on character approval, for the reward of having more building options in the DM-toolkit.
Also, bleh. I'm usually the one who finds players dying off before my interest in a campaign does. *chuckles*

QuoteAlso... Based on above comment from Deva on the split and how we'd do things... You're assuming I'm gonna be playing CG as beta-cuck son?  :D
I'm biased as to how well people can do CG as it's my personal favourite but by all means, impress me. :P

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: wander on April 05, 2018, 03:26:56 PM
And looking at the characters... They look like the weirdest gestalt multiclassers when listed out like that... And I just have 'Halfling male Bard'... ^^;

Did not pick archetype so your vanilla flavored bard :P. Not that vanilla is bad per say  ;)

Roleplay Frog

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on April 05, 2018, 03:48:30 PM
Did not pick archetype so your vanilla flavored bard :P. Not that vanilla is bad per say  ;)

Lots of people like Vanilla as a flavour! You know, senior citizen, small kids..

J/K, vanilla is delicious. :P

wander

There were too many to sift through and in the end I just thought, ah bugger it.  ::)

LizzieV

Name: Trisiel
Sex: Female
Race: Elf

Basic Appearance:
Trisiel stands five feet and six inches tall. She prefers to wear simple functional clothing and ofttimes can appear rather distant from others when lost in thought. Her gaze often seems to figuratively pull things apart as she ponders the inner workings of everything, trying to determine every facet of the world and reconstruct it for her own use. Minor things she needs are often seen floating near her under the power of her magic rather than something so mundane as 'lifting it herself' when there was a better way. She does have quite a bit of the old Issia in her though and is rarely satisfied without either a good book, some good wine, or a companion to while away time with if she’s not collecting some more treasure of her own.

Basic Background:
From the area of Issia before it formed Brevoy with the young elf takes well to the roots of the former pirate kingdom. Her family was an ambitious one, although family is rather loose term considering everyone in their clan is ‘family’ as far as they refer to it. Tales of the former glory of the kingdom, although at least the same clan as the former pirate lords has claim to the Bevoy throne, fueled her attention and ambition. Lust for riches and land were heavy, a place for research and to gather materials with gold for the taking was more than enough for her to take the trip south away from the colder lands towards what was on offer.

The Stats and Saves, Overview

Class: Wizard
Archetype: Exploiter Wizard
Alignment: Neutral Evil
Level: 1
EXP: 0 / 2000

HP: 6
Str: 10 (+0)
Dex: 16 (+3)
Con: 11 (+0)
Int: 18 (+4)
Wis: 10 (+0)
Cha: 12 (+1)

Attacks:

Stern Look - No mechanical effect

Shortbow +3, 1d6, x3, 60'

AC: 13
FFAC: 10
TAC: 13
CMB: +0
CMD: 13
Speed: 30ft

Senses: Low-Light Vision

Initiative: +3
Fortitude Save: +0
Reflex Save: +3
Will: +2
Notes; +2 vs Enchantment Spells and effects, immune to magical sleep, +1 on all will saves vs mind-affecting effects

Skills:
Appraise
Craft
Fly
Knowledge (arcana) +8
Knowledge (dungeoneering) +8
Knowledge (engineering) +8
Knowledge (geography)
Knowledge (history)
Knowledge (local)
Knowledge (nature) +8
Knowledge (nobility)
Knowledge (planes) +8
Knowledge (religion)
Linguistics
Perception +7
Profession
Spellcraft +8

Feats, Race, Traits and Class

Languages: Common, Celestial, Draconic, Elven, Orc, Sylvan

Racial Bonuses:
- +2 Dex, Int, -2 Con
- Immunity to sleep and +2 vs Enchantment Spells and Effects
- +2 Racial to Perception
- +2 to CL to overcome spell resistance, +2 on Spellcraft to identify magic items
- Low-Light Vision
- Proficient with longbows (inc composite), longswords, rapiers, shortbows (inc composite), elven weapons become martial

Feats:

- Scribe Scroll
- Eschew Materials

Traits:

- Issian: +1 on all Will saves vs Mind-affecting affects
- Hedge Magician: Reduce required gp cost to make magic items by 5%
- Seeker: +1 on Perception and Perception is a class skill

Drawbacks:
- Hedonistic: Must gain 10 gold pieces or more worth of treasure or spend an hour on entertainment or pleasure each day; Failing requires a fort save DC 20 at end of the day or be fatigued the next day; Fatigue lasts 4 hours or until a sufficient reward, entertainment, or pleasure is gained.

Class Bonuses:

- Proficient with club, dagger, heavy crossbow, light crossbow, quarterstaff
- Cantrips: All Cantrips Known
- Scribe Scroll Feat (listed above)
- Arcane Reservoir (3/3)
- Potent Magic Exploit

Spells

Spells Known

1st
Mage Armor, Burning Hands, Color Spray, Shield, Ear-Piercing Scream, Protection from Evil, Unseen Servant
Spells Per Day 3/2

Mage Hand, Prestidigitation, Detect Magic
Color Spray, Ear-Piercing Scream

Inventory

Starting Wealth: 70gp
Max Weight: 33/66/100lbs

- Wizard's Kit (21gp) (21lbs): Backpack, bedroll, belt pouch, flint and steel, ink, inkpen, iron pot, mess kit, soap, spell component pouch, torch x10, trail rations 5 days, waterskin.
- Spellbook (0gp) (3 lbs): Staring Spellbook
- Shortbow (30 gp) (2 lbs): standard shortbow
- Arrows, common (20) (1 gp) (3 lbs): 20 normal arrows

End Wealth: 18gp

O/O

wander

Awesome character, Lizzie. :)

I guess I ought to sort out a basic bio for my Halfling...