Hope this goes here..Art Question/Help! o3o

Started by Wolfy, December 10, 2009, 07:53:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wolfy

Currently I'm in a bit of a bind..does anyone know an old artist (Like Michaelangelo or Da Vinci, etc) that I could use to compare and contrast with the works of Takashi Murakami? o-o I need help. >_<

Trieste

Does it need to be one of the classical Masters? I would compare it to Salvador Dali.

Wolfy

It just has to be an old artist. :D..not one of the masters...

Trieste

What counts as 'old'? Murakami looks to be a surrealist... You might try comparing him to someone who did pointillism.

Wolfy

Old as in anyone before I think 1960. o3o

And Wiki described his style as "Poptaku" or a combination of Pop Art and Otaku culture. o-o Or that's how he describes himself..o-o

Trieste

* Trieste notes that the height of Dali's career was in the 1920s and 30s, and the dude famous for pointillism was roughly mid-1800's. :)

Beguile's Mistress

Saerrael

Quote from: Wolfy the christmas wolf on December 10, 2009, 10:01:56 PM
Old as in anyone before I think 1960. o3o

And Wiki described his style as "Poptaku" or a combination of Pop Art and Otaku culture. o-o Or that's how he describes himself..o-o

Yes, Pop Art is what what 'popped' to my mind as well when I looked up his work, but that's a rather 'recent' art development, emerging in the 50s.

I'm not familiar with the 'Otaku culture', though I think it's related with Anime? Also recent.. Hm, I see your problem here.

Have you delved deeper into Japanese art history? A lot of Anime and the likes stems from there. Maybe a path you want to look into?

Also, his 'flat' work reminds me of Primitivism .

Trieste

(It's my understanding that otaku is a subset of Japanese culture resulting from an experiment in academic focus. I'm told that it was the result of an early conditioning experiment in order to create the perfect, focused student. Otaku were very bright and very focused. They tended to pick up obsessions to which they would devote all their spare time ... the word evolved to denote a particularly obsessed fan, although the original otaku were said to be highly dysfunctional. It's much like someone calls themselves 'ocd' when they are, in fact, only a neat freak and not actually ocd. Then again, that may well just be an urban legend or something out of a sci-fi story that someone presented to me as fact.)

Wolfy

Well....o3o..Otaku is a word for someone obsessed with something, Like Trie said. it mostly refers to Anime/Video game fans..but The word can be used for anything that one is obsessed with, really..