Recruiting for Young Justice! Post Season 2

Started by LyraTigereyes, May 14, 2014, 06:57:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhantomPistoleer

Quote from: AribethAmkiir on May 15, 2014, 07:55:52 PM
Before we start throwing up character sheets we should actually discuss some things, no?

Oh yeah?  I'm all ears, Barb. ;)
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

LyraTigereyes

Quote from: TheRomanticPerv on May 15, 2014, 08:01:15 PM
Yeah, it's a little too soon for those. What things would you like to discuss, Ari? I myself am wondering what should be done about villains. Will they be npc'd or will we recruit for them?

I think at first, we'll NPC them.  Maybe after a while, we open up the major villains (Vandal, Lex, Ra's, Queen Bee) to be apped.

KnowThySire

I assume it would be the same for the senior Justice League members?
There can only be one king.

AribethAmkiir

I'd prefer they'd be NPC'd unless Lyra wants to write them.  We could recruit for them, but it would take a very special player to be able to know they were meant to lose.

My biggest questions are what happened in the 5 years between season 1 and season 2.  I've watched every single episode (multiple times) but I only learned about the comics today.  *shrugs*

How much of the YJ show are we going to use and how much do we want to fill in from the comics?

I'd personally like for everyone to start on the same page, as far as continuity goes, before we start throwing in curve balls and making it a game of "keep up with me" versus a joint effort to write a collaborative story.

LyraTigereyes

Quote from: TheRomanticPerv on May 15, 2014, 08:08:07 PM
I assume it would be the same for the senior Justice League members?

Probably, yes. Although the Team now gets it's missions straight from the Watchtower, instead of adult handlers. So there might not be as much a reason to bring them in except for special events.

Quote from: AribethAmkiir on May 15, 2014, 08:19:19 PM
I'd prefer they'd be NPC'd unless Lyra wants to write them.  We could recruit for them, but it would take a very special player to be able to know they were meant to lose.

My biggest questions are what happened in the 5 years between season 1 and season 2.  I've watched every single episode (multiple times) but I only learned about the comics today.  *shrugs*

How much of the YJ show are we going to use and how much do we want to fill in from the comics?

I'd personally like for everyone to start on the same page, as far as continuity goes, before we start throwing in curve balls and making it a game of "keep up with me" versus a joint effort to write a collaborative story.

Well, the shows are definitely canon. For the comics, I'd say soft canon, since not everyone has them and there's no summaries like there is for the show episodes. So, stuff from the comics can be used, but subject to alteration by a player?

KnowThySire

I think that's why it's good to start after season 2. The future's undetermined and more flexible given what plots were left open in the last episode. Everyone knows pretty much where to go.

apygoos

i feel that WIP bio is lacking info about little brother Tim. Dick has always worekd very closely with Tim when the opportunity presents itself. Tim and Dick are like, THE Family of the Batfamily. i know brainstomring a bio in my head a large highlight is going to be the relationship between Man Wonder and Teen Wonder.

As a plot point, how long after season 2 is this? It must've been long enough for Nightwing to return [likely a span of several months to a year]. Maybe the team got into big trouble with Deathstroke [Dicks favorite merc...not really] and helped them back out before Batman/any other leaguer could reply?
/is just tossing around ideas.
For me the real question about how long has passed since the end of season 2, is Robin couldve already taken on the new alias of Red Robin, establishing himself as his own hero, and not simply a protege, or maybe that could be one of the first story arcs explored maybe.

LyraTigereyes

Quote from: apygoos on May 15, 2014, 08:29:25 PM
i feel that WIP bio is lacking info about little brother Tim. Dick has always worekd very closely with Tim when the opportunity presents itself. Tim and Dick are like, THE Family of the Batfamily. i know brainstomring a bio in my head a large highlight is going to be the relationship between Man Wonder and Teen Wonder.

As a plot point, how long after season 2 is this? It must've been long enough for Nightwing to return [likely a span of several months to a year]. Maybe the team got into big trouble with Deathstroke [Dicks favorite merc...not really] and helped them back out before Batman/any other leaguer could reply?
For me the real question about how long has passed since the end of season 2, is Robin couldve already taken on the new alias of Red Robin, establishing himself as his own hero, and not simply a protege, or maybe that could be one of the first story arcs explored maybe.

I was thinking maybe 6 months had passed? Time enough for the Team to move past Wally's sacrifice, but still fresh and hurting in them.

As for becoming Red Robin, that's up to you. There's no real reason for it since Damien's not around, but if you want to have the new identity, that's fine.

PhantomPistoleer

Quote from: AribethAmkiir on May 15, 2014, 08:19:19 PM

The main problem, I think, is that the show's creator has been so cryptic about what has happened in those five years.

What I care about is this:

1.  Jason Todd joined The Team and was killed during his time there;
2.  Dick Grayson became Nightwing before Jason Todd joined;
3.  Tula was also killed during her time with the team;
4.  Grayson is in an on and off relationship with Barbara Gordon.

The first time they kissed would be on Dick's 14th birthday:

And the last time they had any sort of hanky panky was on Dick's 19th birthday:

Quote from: apygoos on May 15, 2014, 08:29:25 PM

... I'm not done yet.  I have barely even started.  Dude, chill out.
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

apygoos

Quote from: LyraTigereyes on May 15, 2014, 08:34:48 PM
I was thinking maybe 6 months had passed? Time enough for the Team to move past Wally's sacrifice, but still fresh and hurting in them.

As for becoming Red Robin, that's up to you. There's no real reason for it since Damien's not around, but if you want to have the new identity, that's fine.
Valid point. Becoming Red Robin would be a good coming of age type of arc methinks. Maybe Batman does what he normally does...piss off his sidekicks when theyre old enough to have perfectly good, formulated opinions and they  leave to run solo, heh. For now ill stick with Robin.

Cold Heritage

That does not sound like Young Justice Batman to me. Batman demonstrates a lot of empathy during the show's run, and he goes to bat for the younger characters a fair bit: butting heads with Superman because the latter neglects Superboy; the scene where he goes and plays basketball with a bummed out Dick; the scene where he stands up for Captain Marvel to the entire Justice League. Bat-Dad is best dad.
Thank you, fellow Elliquiyan, and have a wonderful day.

PhantomPistoleer

Quote from: Cold Heritage on May 15, 2014, 09:17:13 PM
That does not sound like Young Justice Batman to me. Batman demonstrates a lot of empathy during the show's run, and he goes to bat for the younger characters a fair bit: butting heads with Superman because the latter neglects Superboy; the scene where he goes and plays basketball with a bummed out Dick; the scene where he stands up for Captain Marvel to the entire Justice League. Bat-Dad is best dad.

Agreed.

Nightwing and Batman never had the same disconnect in the TV show that they did in the comics.
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

apygoos

Quote from: Cold Heritage on May 15, 2014, 09:17:13 PM
Well we get a rare instance to see how Batman actually cares for his sons [and all hero children for that matter] However, Batman still ends up doing things that his sidekicks resents. Watch the scene when Dick visits with Black Canary in season one of Young Justice. Its one of my most favorite Dick Grayson scenes ever, and you can see the seeds of Nightwing there. Given teh fall out wasnt as hard as displayed in the comics [and even in the animated series] but in YJ it was more like Dick took the Necessary steps to avoid that conflict with his mentor.

in the meantime i found a picture i thought warranted sharing
Tim Drake redesign as Robin

PhantomPistoleer

Quote from: apygoos on May 15, 2014, 09:23:43 PM
Well we get a rare instance to see how Batman actually cares for his sons [and all hero children for that matter] However, Batman still ends up doing things that his sidekicks resents. Watch the scene when Dick visits with Black Canary in season one of Young Justice. Its one of my most favorite Dick Grayson scenes ever, and you can see the seeds of Nightwing there. Given teh fall out wasnt as hard as displayed in the comics [and even in the animated series] but in YJ it was more like Dick took the Necessary steps to avoid that conflict with his mentor.

I disagree.

Robin doesn't want to be Batman, as stated in that episode (S01E17).  At the same time, Batman doesn't want Robin to become Batman, as stated in S01E22.  I don't really see how them both wanting the same thing could create some sort of conflict.

I totally agree with Cold Heritage, and I suppose I'm glad that we're crossing this bridge before the game starts.

Batman from Young Justice is a lot more mature and nurturing about his proteges, and I think that's a testament to the dynamic that Greg Weisman was going for.  Like, why would the guy who is a superhero because his parents were killed be a bad parent?
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Cold Heritage

When Dick says that he does not want to be the Batman, it does not come from a place of resentment. It is, basically, the truest mark of success of Batman's mentorship of Dick Grayson. Batman says, explicitly, that he took Dick Grayson under his wing so that Dick would not end up the same way he did. Dick being able to realize that being the Batman is not healthy is good thing, and it is not indicative of a negative relationship between the two as is so often depicted in comics and other adaptations.

I can agree that it is a seed of Nightwing, but it is not an indication that Batman is an uncaring mentor that mistreats his wards.
Thank you, fellow Elliquiyan, and have a wonderful day.

LyraTigereyes

I do agree that Batman is far more nurturing and caring in YJ than in the comics. The basketball scene would never happen in the comics.

Now, this doesn't mean that Batman hasn't changed in between Dick and Tim. As stated before, Jason showed up and was killed; that can put a huge strain on Batman. Given that Tim isn't the best combatant or acrobat, and that the Team just lost Kid Flash, I could see Batman starting to push away from Tim to try and get him to give up the hero thing, but it only makes Tim want to prove himself more.

AribethAmkiir

+1 to the whole Batman being a good "parent" thing.  Definitely a good direction for the RP to go.

Jason Todd thing I dislike but it seems like it's canon for the show.  What effect would this have on Barb?

And yes, I know they first kissed (she kissed him) on his 14th birthday.  I'm not exactly sure what happened on his 19th birthday.  In one frame she's kissing him and the next frame she's telling him he's not ready for a relationship with her.  Seems to leave thing up to the reader's imagination, which means we should decide what happened, PP.

PhantomPistoleer

Quote from: AribethAmkiir on May 15, 2014, 09:43:13 PM
+1 to the whole Batman being a good "parent" thing.  Definitely a good direction for the RP to go.

Jason Todd thing I dislike but it seems like it's canon for the show.  What effect would this have on Barb?

And yes, I know they first kissed (she kissed him) on his 14th birthday.  I'm not exactly sure what happened on his 19th birthday.  In one frame she's kissing him and the next frame she's telling him he's not ready for a relationship with her.  Seems to leave thing up to the reader's imagination, which means we should decide what happened, PP.

You're actually not going to like this, Aribeth.

Like, that morning, Dick had a one-night stand with Bette Kane.  Then, later that night/early morning, Barbara shows up on his doorstep.  They hug it out and then they go into his apartment to do the deed.

I can't find a bigger image:

Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

KnowThySire

Seems like I should be reading these comics. Anything I need to know of Wally that isn't mentioned in the show?

AribethAmkiir

She says she wants to spend a little time with him... that could mean anything.  :P

Unless the next frame after the door closing is them in bed, her sneaking out, or them together the next morning... it could mean anything.    ::)

Yes, yes, I know, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it.   ;D

In all seriousness I've got no problem with them having "done the deed" that night (or even before that night).

PhantomPistoleer

Quote from: TheRomanticPerv on May 15, 2014, 10:06:11 PM
Seems like I should be reading these comics. Anything I need to know of Wally that isn't mentioned in the show?

I think he has a couple of arcs.  I just really like the fact that he has a Richard Dragon poster on his wall.  :)
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

PhantomPistoleer

Quote from: AribethAmkiir on May 15, 2014, 10:07:06 PM
She says she wants to spend a little time with him... that could mean anything.  :P

Unless the next frame after the door closing is them in bed, her sneaking out, or them together the next morning... it could mean anything.    ::)

Yes, yes, I know, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it.   ;D

In all seriousness I've got no problem with them having "done the deed" that night (or even before that night).

They can do the deed all of the time, for all I care. ;)
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

AribethAmkiir

yeah, maybe I should be talking to someone else about this.   ::)

LyraTigereyes

Quote from: AribethAmkiir on May 15, 2014, 10:28:45 PM
yeah, maybe I should be talking to someone else about this.   ::)

Just find someone to later app Bette as Firebird. She's Nightwing's biggest fan, after all *crazy eyes*

Juggtacular

-has Static in the corner making electric shapes-