The Children of Mother Earth (open recruitment)

Started by mj2002, July 31, 2013, 05:52:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MagicalPen

I don't think the Queen of Thule has any daughters, just a son.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Looking/Available for New Games

mj2002

Quote from: LamentingQuill on August 19, 2013, 11:27:01 PM
I'd love to play a daughter of the Thule queen.
Unfortunately there's no daughter of the queen. =(
She only has a son.

We have our scientist though!

LamentingQuill

Quote from: mj2002 on August 20, 2013, 01:00:59 AM
Unfortunately there's no daughter of the queen. =(
She only has a son.

We have our scientist though!

Thanks for the offer, but no thank you.

mj2002

Quote from: LamentingQuill on August 20, 2013, 01:02:12 AM
Thanks for the offer, but no thank you.
I meant, someone applied for the role of scientist.

Moon Hound Hati

I'll take it my character is acceptable, then? Or are there things that need changing?
Lingerie is like wrapping paper for the best present in the world     the female body.

mj2002

Quote from: Moon Hound Hati on August 20, 2013, 12:20:57 PM
I'll take it my character is acceptable, then? Or are there things that need changing?
Accepted!

mj2002

I think we can get started if we get one more Badener.

oceanspool

Quote from: mj2002 on August 21, 2013, 02:13:55 AM
I think we can get started if we get one more Badener.

So close! I wish I had somebody to invite :(

oceanspool

Thinking about my first post. Are the Badeners going in completely blind - do they know anything about Thule at all? Do they even know that the land they're about to reach is called Thule? How did they find out about it?

mj2002

Quote from: oceanspool on August 21, 2013, 10:30:20 AM
Thinking about my first post. Are the Badeners going in completely blind - do they know anything about Thule at all? Do they even know that the land they're about to reach is called Thule? How did they find out about it?

They see it whilst exploring! Heh, it's a bit simple perhaps, but that's pretty much how it went. The scientist will likely be able to figure out which island it is from ancient maps, but so much time has gone by, it won't be very useful.

eiselmann

If they have some mutual trading partners would rumour of the place not have been a part of the plan to send the ship...especially of word that its run by women. To a society like the Baden Empire that would be a sure sign that the place is weak , and if its rich (resource and strategically) then it would be worth bringing the people to heel

260916 Sigh, on the back end of my laptop dying last week and getting a new one delivered, we now have had some local flooding where I live....fortunately for me no major damage since my house is a few feet above ground, however my back yard looks like the swimming pool I don't have ...so might take a day or two to get back to posting

The Betrayal at Yalta, one of the main reasons the world is the mess it is today

My ons and offs link

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=254364.0

mj2002

Quote from: eiselmann on August 21, 2013, 11:15:02 AM
If they have some mutual trading partners would rumour of the place not have been a part of the plan to send the ship...especially of word that its run by women. To a society like the Baden Empire that would be a sure sign that the place is weak , and if its rich (resource and strategically) then it would be worth bringing the people to heel

They don't have mutual trading partners. While Kanadian (Canada obviously) and British are similar languages, I believe the Badeners haven't actually discovered Kanada or America.

oceanspool

Quote from: mj2002 on August 21, 2013, 11:10:12 AM
They see it whilst exploring! Heh, it's a bit simple perhaps, but that's pretty much how it went. The scientist will likely be able to figure out which island it is from ancient maps, but so much time has gone by, it won't be very useful.

Ok. So pretty much all they know about it is that it's the former country of Greenland?

SugarAndSpice

Hooray for our scientist :D Fingers crossed that another Badener will appear soon. I think I'd prefer just to play one character really, then I can really focus on it.

mj2002

Quote from: oceanspool on August 21, 2013, 12:01:00 PM
Ok. So pretty much all they know about it is that it's the former country of Greenland?
Pretty much.

eiselmann

Quote from: mj2002 on August 21, 2013, 11:52:33 AM
They don't have mutual trading partners. While Kanadian (Canada obviously) and British are similar languages, I believe the Badeners haven't actually discovered Kanada or America.

Ugh sorry my bad , you are of course correct
260916 Sigh, on the back end of my laptop dying last week and getting a new one delivered, we now have had some local flooding where I live....fortunately for me no major damage since my house is a few feet above ground, however my back yard looks like the swimming pool I don't have ...so might take a day or two to get back to posting

The Betrayal at Yalta, one of the main reasons the world is the mess it is today

My ons and offs link

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=254364.0

SugarAndSpice

Been wondering once we get started will there be an order for people to go in? or will it be more free form?

mj2002

Quote from: SugarAndSpice on August 21, 2013, 02:26:19 PM
Been wondering once we get started will there be an order for people to go in? or will it be more free form?
I'm in favor of freeform. I intend to steer certain characters into specific directions with the use of minor characters. You're all free to do as you please though.

oceanspool

I have a few more questions about the general culture and history of Thule and the Baden Empire.

• What's the level of both countries' a) medical knowledge and b) medical technology?
  • What's the level of their plumbing - do they have indoor or outdoor toilets? (Weird question I know, thought it would give me a feel for the setting though :P)
  • How much do they know about the world pre-apocalypse? E.g. do they know that the Internet existed?
  • How big is the Baden Empire? Do we know what countries it covers?
  • Do we know how the apocalypse came about and what happened?

Sorry for the barrage of questions, I was writing last night and they all popped up at me :P

Moon Hound Hati

Yes, I also wanted to ask about the apocalypse and how far the empire spans. :)
Lingerie is like wrapping paper for the best present in the world     the female body.

mj2002

What's the level of both countries' a) medical knowledge and b) medical technology?

Thule's knowledge is fairly limited. It can come as no surprise that they prefer  to use natural medicine of anything else. There is no chemical industry and as such there is no production of synthetic medicine as such. I imagine that there will be people who specify in the arts of healing. There will be small clinics, but that's it.

The Badeners' knowledge will be a little more advanced, mostly out of necessity. They would have hospitals and the beginnings of a chemical industry which allows for some basic medicine production. They don't however have a medical expert or a doctor on board, yet. This may change depending on future character applications. At least one of the men will have some basic first aid knowledge though.

Comparing the Baden Empire with Thule will show that the Badeners are more advanced when it comes to medical knowledge. Comparing the expeditionary force with the island though, it would be more even. Traditional and preventative medicine used by the people of Thule might even be more effective overall.

What's the level of their plumbing - do they have indoor or outdoor toilets? (Weird question I know, thought it would give me a feel for the setting though :P)

Both indoors and outdoors. They have running water.

How much do they know about the world pre-apocalypse? E.g. do they know that the Internet existed?

All the knowledge they have comes from maps and ancient stories. I am going to go ahead and assume that there's no knowledge of the internet at all and whilst the Badaners may have maps, their knowledge remains limited to what they have discovered. As for the people of Thule, theirs is even more limited. Much of this can be attributed to their lack of interest though. They have nearby trading partners, but otherwise they like where they are. They realize that there are probably other peoples around the globe, but direct proof is only available for the country of Kanada and America.

How big is the Baden Empire? Do we know what countries it covers?

It's quite expansive, but not just as large as the Roman Empire. For current Europe, you can assume it covers Western Europe consisting of the current countries of Germany, France, Benelux extending further towards the East as well. Further South and the climate becomes uncomfortably cold. For instance, the Mediterranean is covered in ice.

Do we know how the apocalypse came about and what happened?

Knowledge of the events has become more of a myth as it happened many centuries ago. What is common knowledge though is that a World War took place. A rather sizable explosion (nuclear, but that technology is too advanced for either side to understand) caused the Earth's median to shift which in turn dramatically changed the climate.

Moon Hound Hati

If we can't find another person to play an Baden character, I'd be willing to also play the Baden Political Officer. I mean, I'm sure everyone doesn't want to wait forever. :P

SugarAndSpice

I've mentioned the rp to a couple of people recently, just waiting to see if they're interested :)

SugarAndSpice

Maybe we should set a start date and if no one else applies before then, someone jumps in with an extra character? I don't want this to be an rp that never launches.

mj2002

I'm giving it a little more time, but you're probably right. If we don't get any more Badeners before next Monday, we're starting regardless. I'm leaving the opportunity open for people to join after that date.