News:

Main Menu

Anime

Started by Null, December 15, 2013, 10:54:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kimmy

Fly me to the moon, performed in the old Evangelion ending.

I do hope that counts, I know it's a classic rather than something original :P
Posting rate: Moderate       Currently Chasing: Playful, Romance & Something Rough.
A&A           RL Issues: Some Insomnia.
Offsite RP's: 2 online + 1 RL. Currently Craving: Romance and just a touch of something darker...

Yukina

I can't decide on a full favorite, but this is definitely one of them :)

https://youtu.be/og-ajcI-f9w

Seress

Found out today that Kamisama Kiss had a season two, so started watching that.   XD

Hmm, a more recent favorite anime intro would be https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMXgHfHxKVM, older one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNl3oevaOkc.

Kimmy

Quote from: Yugishogun on May 28, 2015, 08:15:36 AM

Elfin Lied has a beautiful song for sure. +1 (do we do +1's on peoples posts in this forum? I don't think I've ever seen it done here before... Forgive me if I'm all out of etiquette.)
Posting rate: Moderate       Currently Chasing: Playful, Romance & Something Rough.
Offsite RP's: 2 online + 1 RL. Currently Craving: Romance and just a touch of something darker...

yugi006

I like so many songs but some of my favorites include:

Rewrite - Asian Kung Fu Generation (Full Metal Alchemist)

Rain - Sid (Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood

Inner Universe - Origa (Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex)

Rise - Origa (Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex)

Mikem

Quote from: Kimmy on May 28, 2015, 10:52:56 AM
+1 (do we do +1's on peoples posts in this forum? I don't think I've ever seen it done here before... Forgive me if I'm all out of etiquette.)

As far as I've seen there's no feature to rate people's individual posts, or even topics. I don't think it's a thing here.
"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions. So why not take the scenic route?"

My Ons & Offs

Wajin

For me it'll always be Cha-la Head cha-la
I have taken the Oath of the Drake
"--But every sin...is punished, but punished by death, no matter the crime. No matter the scale of the sin. The people of the city live in silence, lest a single word earn them death for speaking out against you."

"Yes. Listen. Listen to the sound of raw silence. Is it not serene?"

Kimmy

Angelic layer always makes rather emotional, evening in the openings. :)

What's the most unusual anime you've ever seen? I think those who hunt elves and flame of reds are my favourites for unusual takes on anime.

Mikem

Hyperdimension Neptunia is the most amazing parody Anime I've ever seen. So many references, so many breasts.

Also more recently, (like ten minutes ago), I watched the first four episodes of a show called Seraph of the End. It's a pretty great show, but personally It pissed me off.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Vampires exist and they have a superiority complex. They made a virus that killed off most of Humanity yet saved the young to be used as livestock. Human survivors of the "Apocalypse" band together in the center of Tokyo and attempt to reclaim the Earth. But there's kids being slaughtered and instant healing Vampires and giant monsters and Demons... It's just too much.
"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions. So why not take the scenic route?"

My Ons & Offs

Yukina

Has anyone here watched "Denpa Kyoushi"?

yugi006

Yes and it's hilarious.

Yukina

Cayenne

I watched 3 seasons of "Major"

Let me preface with the idea that I don't actually like this anime - yet like a train wreck I found it hard not to wonder what silly thing they'd do next.

So they basically load on the tragedy in his life early on. which I was like "Holy smokes, that is crazy amount of bad things to happen to someone" and of course, he is basically a Mary Sue of baseball, so they only way they can make it interesting as the show progresses is give him some kind of injury of which he will ignore to his future detriment. He'll build up rag-tag teams to challenge the best in the world and then when they get too good for him, he'll move on make a team someplace else and crush the previous peoples dreams.

The girl who likes him basically goes through her whole life waiting for him to notice and recognize her. but it is this strange unrequited love as his first love is baseball, and his second love is building up people so he can basically tear them down later.

I sometimes would watch it wondering if I was supposed to be impressed or in awe at his ability to put his body and future on the line for the win, yet at very few points did that ever work on me.
"My mind is not in the gutter, I just happen to have a really good view of it from my high horse"

ONs & OFF

Sasquatch421

Going old school! I picked up the complete Orphen collection.... Then possibly back onto Ranma 1/2.

Drake Valentine

Knights of Sidnia(unsure of Japanese equlivant of title, Sidnia no Kishi or something like that) is really good. Dark sci-fi, space anime with aliens that remind me of Borg from Star Trek, but not completely like them, just the premise of them going around assimilating with things.

First season was great, enjoying second one as well(after finding some proper fan subs for the second season. Sites I been visiting seems like it was sub by google translator. >.> )

"When I'm Done With You, You'll Be a:
Raped, Bloody, And Humiliated, Little Alice in Wonderland."

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)
Pale Eclipse - Group Game Project{Paused} 

Sasquatch421

Oh, I did see something for theme's way earlier and it is a tough choice for me.... There are some really good ones out there Black Lagoon, Darker Than Black and High School DxD to name some... This is the one I love the most which is the opening theme to RahXephon, which has a story I love even if it does make me cry some points into the series!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-lWnOyeFyA

Haruki

I'm working through my backlog and also mixing in a few 'oldies but goodies'.

Of my backlog, I've recently taken in Gankutsuo: The Count of Monte Cristo, The Rose of Versailles, and Serial Experiments Lain.

Gankutsuo: The Count of Monte Cristo - It's....interesting.  Gonzo was one of those studios that in the 2000s decade, took classic literature and 'anime-fied' it, also sprinkling in their own SciFi-like elements into the mix.  Decent story, but gah.....that animation technique they used for some parts of it are jarring to the eyes.  I don't know what they were attempting to achieve.

The Rose of Versailles - Now this one was a long time in coming over here in an 'official' home video release.  It's basically the events leading up to and through the French Revolution put to manga form, and that story is what got put to anime with this series.  The soundtrack, the visuals, it's all very 1970s, the acting can be laughably over-done in places, but that doesn't detract much from the story for me.  For anyone who is into shoujo (or I'd even pin this more into the josei genre) with a STRONG female lead role, this is worth seeing.

Serial Experiments Lain - This was a tough one for me to follow along with...probably because it doesn't have a cohesive storyline.  Instead to me it seemed to be taking various events in life, and tying them together with a 'this is what technology, specifically the Internet / social media can do to change ones' perception of real-life events, and how it can in many cases, ruin lives.'.  Lain outwardly seems to denounce all of this, but secretly is just as wrapped up in the gig as everyone else.

I'm thinking that's going to be a series I'll have to watch a few times over to really 'get it'.

I've also recently re-watched two old favorites:

Fruits Basket - I watched 'Kamisami Kiss' (Season 1) back in January, so I figured I'd go revisit this director's (of that show) earlier anime adaption for Fruits Basket.  I still say it's a crying shame this show didn't get a second season/series.  For what it's worth, I still get enjoyment out of that story....while some of the characters are rather typecast into some over-done character tropes, there's enough variety there.  You find a bit of yourself in one or more of the Sohma family.

Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad - All i can say is, why can't more anime about this sort of thing be done...a mature, somewhat candid look into the life of an upstart rock band, with a little crime/drama thrown in to make things exciting.  Plus it's inspiring for anyone wishing to get into playing an instrument or staring their own band.  All I see coming out of anime for 'music-themed' stories are things like K-ON and all these 'idol' things as of late.  That's fine and all, but those just don't have any 'oomph' to anyone but die-hard fans of Japanese culture.  For me, nothing seems to be topping Beck.
(FYI: For those looking for this show, somewhere along the way, FUNimation dropped the 'Beck' title and it now just goes by "Mongolian Chop Squad".....probably to avoid confusion with the actual Beck who did that big hit "Loser" some 20-odd years ago).

Still more catching up to do.
Always Seeking New Players!!
Want to write with me?  Please see the following below:
=====
My Introduction
O/Os & Lists -- Thread | Profile | Character Profiles | Canon Cravings
Request Threads - Haru's Canon Fodder (Anime, RPGs, etc) | Haru's Wholesome Needs
=====
Eep!! Who's Yanking Me Away by the Ponytail?! (A&As)

DreamSailor

Sooo, we just kinda talk about what we're watching right?

I've been watching Owari no Seraph, Psycho-pass, Stand Alone Complex (again), and Akatsuki no Yona.

AEvum

Quote from: Yugishogun on May 28, 2015, 08:15:36 AM

The anime itself was pretty meh but you can't deny the music and art was amazing. The colors were so vibrant the music so emotional. It's a shame the story felt so shallow and forced.

Yukina

Speaking of bad anime; What are some you all find the worst ones on the planet?

CaptainNexus616

While I don't think it is one of the worst on the planet Sword Art Online has a crap ton of flaws.

The premise of the show was that people were trapped in an online game unable to log out and would die right? That lasted for about ten or so episodes and was never a factor again. They could have gotten seasons out of that premises alone.

Every girl the protagonist met ended up falling in hopelessly love with him by the end of the episode and it never went anywhere because he was in a relationship. Including his cousin (I am not making this crap up)

The main girl herself ended up going from an awesome character to Princess Peach for the second half of the season.

The second villain in the show was so cliché it was sickening.

Plus the main character was the guy who always and I mean ALWAYS found ways to defeat the system millions of other players could never figure out.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

Yukina

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on June 30, 2015, 11:24:33 AM
While I don't think it is one of the worst on the planet Sword Art Online has a crap ton of flaws.

The premise of the show was that people were trapped in an online game unable to log out and would die right? That lasted for about ten or so episodes and was never a factor again. They could have gotten seasons out of that premises alone.

Every girl the protagonist met ended up falling in hopelessly love with him by the end of the episode and it never went anywhere because he was in a relationship. Including his cousin (I am not making this crap up)

The main girl herself ended up going from an awesome character to Princess Peach for the second half of the season.

The second villain in the show was so cliché it was sickening.

Plus the main character was the guy who always and I mean ALWAYS found ways to defeat the system millions of other players could never figure out.

I agree with every one of those points. :) Not to mention any smart electrician or demolitions worker could disconnect the gears in a safe manner.

On a side point: That "revive them within 10 seconds" item would've never worked, because you can't "un-fry" someone's brain.

CaptainNexus616

Or the fact the servers were actually in the basement of the company that made the game from the start. Hence why I wish they expanded on the original story to answer all these questions. Instead of forcing ALO and the incest angle on us.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

Yukina

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on June 30, 2015, 12:04:00 PM
Or the fact the servers were actually in the basement of the company that made the game from the start. Hence why I wish they expanded on the original story to answer all these questions. Instead of forcing ALO and the incest angle on us.

Agreed.

AEvum

Quote from: Yugishogun on June 30, 2015, 10:19:05 AM
Speaking of bad anime; What are some you all find the worst ones on the planet?
Ugh Higurashi wins no contest. Absolutely the worst, most juvenile nonsense I've ever seen. I mean at least Elfen Lied actually was edgy and showed some crazy stuff but Higurashi had all the bad traits of edgy garbage without actually being edgy. I mean the first few episodes were intriguing if you could get through the boring bits but then it tries this 2deep4u nonsense. Then the second season tries to cover the ass of the first by whipping some "explanation" out of its ass that could have been written by a 12 year old.

Unpopular opinion as some people seem to really love it but Jesus I thought it was the worst anime I've ever seen.