Interest Check/Development: Pokemon Superhero Highschool

Started by JoanieSappho, December 26, 2017, 08:40:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoanieSappho

I know, that's like three quarters of the games I've been in, all mushed up into one thing.

Anyway, brief synopsis, before I inevitably start rambling: A bunch of 18 year old (+/-2 years, maybe) have been revealed to have powers and are taken off to learn about them. And probably have a bunch of sex with each other.

As for how this is pokemon, that's where the core of the idea came from. I was, for reasons, considering how human/pokemon sex would affect the offspring and, well, basically any inheritance of a pokemon's move basically turns the kid into a superhero of varying power. It'd also explain some of the abilities seen in both game and anime canon, like Sabrina who is basically Professor X if he was a hot 20-something woman.

I have three rough ideas of how this would work;

First, the original idea I had. Normally, there's very few children from human/pokemon mating (which, let's be honest, absolutely would happen fairly regularly, given what people are like) but about 20 years ago there was a brief burst of kids being born that way, with abilities and powers inherited from their nonhuman parent. The players would pick a pokemon, gain a basic power based on said pokemon's typing (dual type parents give powers for both their types, single typed parents result in a stronger form of their type's power) and a move/moves/ability associated with their parent's specific species.

An example: someone decides to make a character whose dad was a Farfetch'd. Said character's a short, spunky tomboy who is instinctively really good with swords/similar weapons. She also has whatever the normal type power turns out to be, and at least mild superspeed from the Farfetch'd's flying type. Any sword/bokken/stick placed in her hands works as a regular implement for hitting things, but she can use it to basically pull off a small number of pokemon attacks. She starts off with Fury Cutter, then as the game progresses adds in Aerial Ace, Agility and finally Brave Bird.

Someone else makes a character whose mother was a Miltank, and who can use Milk Drink. She is very popular.
And so on. Widest range of variation on abilities with this one.

Second idea; For whatever reason all the legendaries decide to pass on some of their power to young humans. No instruction manual is included, so the few  humans who hae any idea what just happened arrange for them to end up in a totally not fake school to teach them to handle their new abilities and, hopefully, not to be evil. The powers of the player characters are based on their specific legendary, so Time stuff for the Palkia character, healing for the Xerneas one, lightning bolts for Zapdos and so forth.

Thirdly, Arceus' type plates end up deliberately and/or accidentally fused to eighteen people, and they each get powers based on their type.

This is all still in the rough planning stage, but if it takes off and we get the idea properly developed, I can try running it.

Hexed

First idea would be rather interesting. Any idea if your going system or freeform?

Yukina

I love the first and second ideas. :) Interest planted.

JoanieSappho

Quote from: Hexed on December 26, 2017, 09:00:21 AM
First idea would be rather interesting. Any idea if your going system or freeform?

Probably mildly system. Nothing exceptionally indepth, or going all the way to make this in PTU or anything (although that would work quite easily, thinking about it ...), just a couple of rolls if/when combat stuff happens.

And Yugi: I had you at the Miltank girl, didn't I?  :P

Yukina

Quote from: JoanieSappho on December 26, 2017, 09:24:52 AM
Probably mildly system. Nothing exceptionally indepth, or going all the way to make this in PTU or anything (although that would work quite easily, thinking about it ...), just a couple of rolls if/when combat stuff happens.

And Yugi: I had you at the Miltank girl, didn't I?  :P

Exactly! :)

Mathim

Would definitely love to be part Gengar and cause ghostly shenanigans.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Marie Reynolds

Hmm I could be interested in this! This first Idea sounds fascinating. This kinda strikes me as a mix of fable and Pokemon and I love it!

JoanieSappho

Well, everyone loves the first idea, including me, so yeah, let's go with that. Now, to actually develop how that would work. If anyone has ideas, suggestions or comments, do not be shy about sharing them, I could do with the help.

Also, this is probably going to be a bit stream-of-consciousnesy as I try to think things out in terms of making in universe sense and also not making certain options substantially more/less appealing. I don't want people to want to use something, but for that to be flatout worse than everyone else.

So, the characters are all hybrid human/pokemon children, who inherited abilities from their parents.
First thing, this clearly cannot work just like regular pokemon breeding. For one, that would make female only species unavailable for player use, and I kinda want to see Tsareena and Miltank girls, if I'm entirely honest.
So, gender of the nonhuman parent is irrelevant, although the question then becomes 'what about the genderless pokemon'?
Ditto gets a pass regardless of what is decided, because Ditto's whole thing is being able to breed with anything. The others, though, well, how would that even work for the whole sex thing?

Either way, legendaries are right out for this. There's a couple that might be conceivably possible, but I would need heavy persuasive persuasion to allow, regardless.

So, character creation.

First, name, age and gender.
Name is whatever, age ... I think we go for the expected age being 18, but with both early bloomers at 16/17 and late ones at 19/20? That sound okay to people?
As for gender, as Yugi can attest I've been in a lot of games where the options were 'male, female, both', so perhaps that. In fact, we might be able to solve the genderless parent thing that way, and have the options be 'Male, Female, Both, Neither'.

Appearance next, and another point to consider. Do we go take inspiration from how breeding works in the games, where the offspring looks like any other member of its parent's species (although, in this case, with small characteristics like hair, eye, etc colour and other minor things, like a girl whose dad was a Meowth having cat eyes, or a Golbat's kid never needing to buy vampire fangs for Halloween), or do we go full hybrid and give that Meowth girl cat ears and a tail, and the Farfetch'd chick wings?
I'm more in favour of the former, but willing to hear reasons for the latter.

Then, parentage. We've already decided that the gender of the nonhuman parent isn't all that relevant, but the species definitely is. No legendaries, and that's about it. (also, Rotom's not a legendary, although some think it is.
This choice determines a lot of stuff. You inherit the typing of that pokemon, which counts for the effects of other people trying to attack you (poor Gyarados-chan, being bullied by the Pikaclones), and a power in the theme of those types.
You also get a move that said pokemon/its pre-evolved forms learns at or before level 20. If you're going for a Ditto or Smeargle character, you get the one move those pokemon actually know. Transform is pretty powerful, and Sketch can be even more so, if you get your friends to show you their moves.
Also, if you go for a Magikarp-based character, you are officially Best Girl.

Also, pick out three other moves that pokemon can naturally learn, you'll get those added as the game progresses.

Pokemon types, and power themes

Some of these are pretty obvious, others I kinda really do need the help thinking of

Fire: Obvious one. Fire-based powers.
Water: As above, but water. Maybe gills too.
Grass: You heard of Poison Ivy? Pick something she can do, pretty much.
Electric: Part of me wants to say pure Electric types can go full Railgun on people. Also, standard lightning powers.
Ground: Tremorsense, tunneling, earthbending, that sort of thing.
Rock: Definite endurance/toughness boost. Other stuff?
Steel: Magneto?
Ice: You've seen Frozen, right? That.
Flying: Superspeed, maybe flight. Flight's always one of those things that can potentially break encounters but, on the other hand, literally the flying type.
Bug: help? Webs and stings and such? (Spidermans!)
Fighting: Super-strength, for certain.
Normal: help me Obi-Wan Kenobi, you're our only hope.
Psychic: Psychic powers. There's a whole bunch that we're all already thinking of.
Ghost: Intangibility, invisibility, being spoopy.
Dark: Not sure. Ghost (and Fairy) are more mischievous/trickstery, but the Dark type is more actively malicious
Fairy: Fae shit. Emotion manipulation, illusions, trolly stuff.
Poison: ... poison. A chemical WMD/war crime is you. (probably not that). Debuffy/status type stuff. Paralysis, pain (or overwhelming pleasure), maybe pheromones, causing hallucinations, etc?
Dragon: Not sure, but probably has to be epic and/or metal as fuck.

Kathyan

I don't know that much about pokemon but I know something, still keeping an eye on this ^^ and yes I love the first idea.

DomJoe

I'm rather interested as well... I already have an idea for a Klefki based character, of all things... how the breeding worked, no-one knows, but they do have genders!

Basically, a girl who basically has a skeleton key always on hand, acting like a sort of Robin Hood/P5 Phantom Thief kind of character. Combine that with some illusions and charm abilities, and you have the ultimate infiltrator!

I can get behind the children developing some similarities to their parent pokemon, but I feel like that could vary from person to person... some might just have a higher body temperature or different colored skin, while others could develop more features like wings and such. Depends on how early they develop as well: I'd imagine early bloomers would have more intense changes than late bloomers.

If I might suggest a few other things for powers...
Fire: Flamethrower and the like, but I'd imagine fire protection would fall under this.
Water: Natural swimming abilities, maybe even walking on water?
Grass: Barklike skin, no more allergies ever!
Electric: Shock resistance, maybe even hacking powers if combined with Steel...
Ground: Kinda at a loss for this one, earthbending covers alot already.
Rock: Also can use earthbending, although I can see them flinging rocks around more often than ground types. Possibly being able to use crystals as well.
Steel: Hard as steel, able to conduct electricity or bend steel to their will (Metal bending, much like Toph)
Ice: Cold Resistance, lower temperature tolerance, even things like ice blades or Iceman's icepath for flying
Flying: Super jumping, airbending and such. Agility is actually a psychic type move, funnily enough... Extremespeed and Quick Attack are normal moves!
Bug: Enhanced senses, sticky fluids, poison creation (if you have the poison typing as well)
Fighting: Enhanced reflexes, mastery of martial arts, basically being a DnD Monk (especially when combined with other types)
Normal: Don't diss the normal types! Jack of all trades, masters of none!
Psychic: You could very easily pull from Earthbound or X-Men for powers as well... fun stuff.
Ghost: Don't forget that they have curses and such at their disposal...
Dark: Dealing with shadows, negative emotions made manifest, even traveling to other dimensions!
Fairy: Fae shit indeed. That alone covers alot of weird and wacky powers.
Poison: Disease/poison resistance, corrupting touches, lots of nasty conditions and such.
Dragon: Dragon breath, dragon flight, dragon senses (an affinity for treasure?), dragon scales!

Also for powers, I would say that people get 2-4 powers, either from their single typing, or some from each type to keep things balanced. So, a Magmar kid would be really good at controlling fire and such, but a Charizard kid would have less fire control, but have some wind abilities and flight, potentially.

Yukina

(My character sheet up to this point. Will make a bio if required)

Name: Sakurako Miyazaki
Appearance:
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Parentage: Miltank
Type: Normal
Beginning Move: Milk Drink
Future Moves: Defense Curl, Gyro Ball, Wake-up Slap

Marie Reynolds

Hmm I am torn between between Litwick, Gold Duck,  or Far fetched.

JoanieSappho

Quote from: DomJoe on December 26, 2017, 02:42:36 PM
I'm rather interested as well... I already have an idea for a Klefki based character, of all things... how the breeding worked, no-one knows, but they do have genders!

Basically, a girl who basically has a skeleton key always on hand, acting like a sort of Robin Hood/P5 Phantom Thief kind of character. Combine that with some illusions and charm abilities, and you have the ultimate infiltrator!

I can get behind the children developing some similarities to their parent pokemon, but I feel like that could vary from person to person... some might just have a higher body temperature or different colored skin, while others could develop more features like wings and such. Depends on how early they develop as well: I'd imagine early bloomers would have more intense changes than late bloomers.

If I might suggest a few other things for powers...
Fire: Flamethrower and the like, but I'd imagine fire protection would fall under this.
Water: Natural swimming abilities, maybe even walking on water?
Grass: Barklike skin, no more allergies ever!
Electric: Shock resistance, maybe even hacking powers if combined with Steel...
Ground: Kinda at a loss for this one, earthbending covers alot already.
Rock: Also can use earthbending, although I can see them flinging rocks around more often than ground types. Possibly being able to use crystals as well.
Steel: Hard as steel, able to conduct electricity or bend steel to their will (Metal bending, much like Toph)
Ice: Cold Resistance, lower temperature tolerance, even things like ice blades or Iceman's icepath for flying
Flying: Super jumping, airbending and such. Agility is actually a psychic type move, funnily enough... Extremespeed and Quick Attack are normal moves!
Bug: Enhanced senses, sticky fluids, poison creation (if you have the poison typing as well)
Fighting: Enhanced reflexes, mastery of martial arts, basically being a DnD Monk (especially when combined with other types)
Normal: Don't diss the normal types! Jack of all trades, masters of none!
Psychic: You could very easily pull from Earthbound or X-Men for powers as well... fun stuff.
Ghost: Don't forget that they have curses and such at their disposal...
Dark: Dealing with shadows, negative emotions made manifest, even traveling to other dimensions!
Fairy: Fae shit indeed. That alone covers alot of weird and wacky powers.
Poison: Disease/poison resistance, corrupting touches, lots of nasty conditions and such.
Dragon: Dragon breath, dragon flight, dragon senses (an affinity for treasure?), dragon scales!

Also for powers, I would say that people get 2-4 powers, either from their single typing, or some from each type to keep things balanced. So, a Magmar kid would be really good at controlling fire and such, but a Charizard kid would have less fire control, but have some wind abilities and flight, potentially.

I'm not dissing the normal type! It's actually one of my favourites, I just couldn't think of anything specific for them to get. It's always been a 'none of the above' sort of type. So, I suppose stuff that doesn't really fit under any of the other types could be their thing, as well as 0.5 versions of the other types powers. Weaker, but able to mix and match powers in ways others can't.

And yeah, they all definitely get at least two from their typing. Maybe three.

Also, Yugi: I had a feeling it'd be her.  :P
Still in the planning stage, though. (And yeah, bio and such is going to be wanted when we get recruiting)

Snake

Name: Kousei Elisias
Appearance: Pic

Parentage: Zoroark
Type: Dark/Fighting
Beginning Move: Quick Attack,
Future Moves: Night slash, Double Team, Aura Sphere

Hexed

Yeah, powers is one of those things that gets odd. And may even vary based on the pokemon used. :D

My brain is pretending it's mush right now but for characters you're wanting more human looking ones right?

Now question is... go with a feline of some sort. Or roll dice and see where it gets me.

Yukina

Quote from: JoanieSappho on December 26, 2017, 06:43:16 PM

Also, Yugi: I had a feeling it'd be her.  :P
Still in the planning stage, though. (And yeah, bio and such is going to be wanted when we get recruiting)

The perfect futa for a Miltank. Also, noted. :)

DomJoe

Name: Faye
Appearance

Pokemon Parent: Klefki
Type: Steel/Fairy
Beginning Move: Spikes
Future Moves: Fairy Lock, Foul Play, Mirror Shot

Abilities
Skeleton Key (Steel): Faye can turn any metal object into a key, and she can shape that key in order to fit any lock, so long as it requires a standard key to open it (and that she has enough metal to form into a proper key in the first place). This doesn't work on electronic locks or for making key cards.
Distracting Image (Fairy): Faye can leave behind a distracting image of herself (sexual or otherwise), rendering her real body invisible for a few seconds while the illusion goes to work.

Green Goo Theory

I haven't messed with Pokemon since the first few seasons and red/blue/yellow but I'm keeping an eye on this and piecing together ideas.

Edit:  I'm not sure I understood the reference/joke/whatever earlier about Magikarp making Best Girl.  Explain it to me, please?   
Coming soon...

JoanieSappho

Quote from: Tonberryshuffle on December 26, 2017, 08:13:57 PM
I haven't messed with Pokemon since the first few seasons and red/blue/yellow but I'm keeping an eye on this and piecing together ideas.

Edit:  I'm not sure I understood the reference/joke/whatever earlier about Magikarp making Best Girl.  Explain it to me, please?   

No real joke, just me being silly.
Although, if someone did go for Magikarp, I guess they'd get respect for trying to make one of the worst pokemon work.

Green Goo Theory

Quote from: JoanieSappho on December 26, 2017, 09:49:56 PM
No real joke, just me being silly.
Although, if someone did go for Magikarp, I guess they'd get respect for trying to make one of the worst pokemon work.

Yeah, but those sexy fins  ^-^ 

Totally being sarcastic
Coming soon...

Hexed

SO... Proving just how indecisive I am. Which pic looks best?

7 is one of those it's pokemon gotta use someone iconic. Of sorts. :D   And really tempted with 5, I have a fondness for the cat ear hoodies. However I'm a bad judge of 'age' for drawings. And the other's all are neat too.

Just links?

So question!

If the 'mon we choose is part of a evolution chain would you rather we use the first in the chain or does it not matter?

Green Goo Theory

I tried reloading but some of those images wouldn't load for me. 
Coming soon...

Hexed

Huh. Not sure then.  They work for me but that doesn't say much. :D

Could put links instead of pics I guess?

edit's cause I'm fluff headed:  Which pics aren't loading?