Star Wars FFG: The Old Republic (Recruitment)

Started by Angie, October 17, 2017, 11:24:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Urbanzorro

I'm a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.

My Idea Page
Things I Enjoy 
My Apologies.

Angie

Quote from: Urbanzorro on October 19, 2017, 10:37:42 AM
Would you allow a Gank?

Gonna need to explain that one, this thread's moving so fast and I'm catching a cold so i can barely keep up.
Avatar is by Lemonfont. Will remove it if he asks me to.

Come check the Cyberpunk Images Thread!

Cataclysmic Archangel

I'll shut up for a while while things are still just recruiting and junk.

Sorry.

Angie

Quote from: Cataclysmic Archangel on October 19, 2017, 10:42:37 AM
I'll shut up for a while while things are still just recruiting and junk.

Sorry.

I'd rather you ask questions and you guys talk amongst yourselves. How else are you going to get that charaxter built? The recruiting tag means i want to see some sheets and if a lot of questions get you there, do it.

Cataclysmic Archangel

Fair enough.  Angie... do you have a setting or anything in mind.  my idea might not work at all if this is something where characters come from a predetermined... well, whatever.

If it's 'you're in bar, the other characters are there, start!', then it works out better, but that might also effect plans.

Urbanzorro

They are one of the species in Lords of Nal Hutta(PG 95). They seem to have a strong leaning towards violence and are big on cybernetic implants. Mostly regarding the overall tone of the story. Would you mind a character who's inclination is towards violent solutions/has no problem being more dark then light.

My Idea Page
Things I Enjoy 
My Apologies.

Pumpkin Seeds

Angie

I'm more worried team comp, personally. The way Ganks are written, they don't seem to appreciate tactics like charm/diplomacy and sneaking in. As long as you play it as "I can be convinced to NOT go in guns blazing" we shouldn't have a problem, I just don't want a character that has a tendency to shut down the specialties of others.

Also I mention, this is not a first come first serve thing, if we end up with a lot of people I'm definitely going to have to pare it down. So, impress me!

Quote from: Cataclysmic Archangel on October 19, 2017, 10:47:22 AM
Fair enough.  Angie... do you have a setting or anything in mind.  my idea might not work at all if this is something where characters come from a predetermined... well, whatever.

If it's 'you're in bar, the other characters are there, start!', then it works out better, but that might also effect plans.

Aside from picking a planet, a city, and dropping you all into it, there's nothing in terms of plot at the moment. I would never force people to come from a predetermined point unless I had put that in the opening post, so feel free to do as you wish.

Urbanzorro

Quote from: Angie on October 19, 2017, 11:14:16 AM
I'm more worried team comp, personally. The way Ganks are written, they don't seem to appreciate tactics like charm/diplomacy and sneaking in. As long as you play it as "I can be convinced to NOT go in guns blazing" we shouldn't have a problem, I just don't want a character that has a tendency to shut down the specialties of others.

I may hit up the wiki to see if I can get some more insight into them before making a final decision but the way I read things made it seem like they'd be less the blood crazed savage and more just cold blooded. Capable of understanding that direct force isn't the approach that is always going to be taken but also considering it to often be the correct one.

If I have the wrong impression though please let me know and I'll see what else catches my eye.

My Idea Page
Things I Enjoy 
My Apologies.

Hexed

o.o

Why is all activity when I'm stuck at work? Q.Q

Anyways. Speaking of darkside do they penalize you for using dark side force powers?

Mostly just wondering about force lightning. Gotta love the zappers.

Angie

Quote from: Hexed on October 19, 2017, 11:45:58 AM
o.o

Why is all activity when I'm stuck at work? Q.Q

Anyways. Speaking of darkside do they penalize you for using dark side force powers?

Mostly just wondering about force lightning. Gotta love the zappers.

I'm actually not sure if Force Lightning...exists, at least not in the core book. There is a thing called "Conflict talents" that I saw in the Sentinel book, basically, talents/powers so dark that just knowing them slaps a point of Conflict on you at the beginning of every session. But then we get into the fact that in the now non-canon extended universe, Luke actually made a Jedi version of Force Lightning which was basically "Force Taser" and...you know what, fuck it, find it somewhere in the books and tell me where it is. Pumpkin Seeds probably knows.

Pumpkin Seeds

There is a dark side version of heal called harm.

Cataclysmic Archangel

It came up a lot in the Seeker book.  Because, ya know, Force Executioner.

Basically, a lot of the talents that were based specifically around 'some days you just gotta gut a sith' can be Conflict.  It's that 'dark knowledge that hides in the back of your head'.

Kind of makes me think of Last-Jedi-Luke, a little bit.

Angie

I am kind of liking the bit of a push they seem to be making towards more pragmatic Jedi and Sith. But maybe it's just because I've been playing KOTOR 2 and Kreia is fucking awesome. A couple stray points of Conflict isn't any danger to your moral position, so if you want to have a Harm power that manifests as bolts of Sith Lightning, go for it.

Pumpkin Seeds

Well Dark Force powers work different than just having a conflict point.   You fuel them with dark side points.   Using dark side points can put you on a downward spiral fast.

Cataclysmic Archangel

Quote from: Angie on October 19, 2017, 12:22:23 PM
I am kind of liking the bit of a push they seem to be making towards more pragmatic Jedi and Sith. But maybe it's just because I've been playing KOTOR 2 and Kreia is fucking awesome. A couple stray points of Conflict isn't any danger to your moral position, so if you want to have a Harm power that manifests as bolts of Sith Lightning, go for it.

A KOTOR.  I wish they didn't ruin it with that damn MMO.

Pumpkin... earlier you said it would be cheaper to start with Spec X vs Spec Y.... I'm not seeing why.  As far as I can tell, starting with one career and going to another is always the same cost, regardless of order?

Imogen

If we play Republic aligned, isn't having dark side powers as good as a death sentence?
[tr][td]
[/td]
[td][/td]
[td]Woo's and Won'ts / Absences
Stor-E Writers Registry[/td]
[td][/td]
[td][/td]
[/tr][/table]

Angie

Quote from: Imogen on October 19, 2017, 12:31:17 PM
If we play Republic aligned, isn't having dark side powers as good as a death sentence?

Ha, you're assuming you're actually going to be part of a faction. That's cute.

Cataclysmic Archangel

Angie

Also, keep in mind, this is Old Republic and we're not using the MMO Canon, so in KOTOR 2, there's a moment where one of your companions mentions that most of the galaxy doesn't see a difference between Jedi and Sith. So let's say you use Force Lightning to kill a guy who was just about to murder a woman and her kid, are they really going to call you out for being a bad guy? No, because they don't know what that lightning means. Hell that kid might want to be you-which is a whole other can of worms. YOU know what you're doing, and that causes Conflict, but you don't have to worry about being called a dick by random people.

This is why Old Republic will always be a better setting then the movies. Except for maybe the height of the Rebellion.

Pumpkin Seeds

Cataclysmic Archangel

Quote from: Pumpkin Seeds on October 19, 2017, 01:50:25 PM
Which skills did you need from Shadow?

Streetwise, Underworld, Deception, Perception (between the two).  Charm can come from the racial for Falleen.  Skuldudgery is a nice pick up also, for emergencies, same with Stealth, but not as mandatory.

The Arbiter would instead get me Cool and Negotiation  (or I could go down 10 points in the Shadow talents).

Hexed

Old republic is best!  And while I've played the old games I play the mmo more. Stupid windows 10 not liking older games.

So now to find seeker book. Thanks!

And is it just me or is armor pretty expensive in the system?

Imogen

Quote from: Angie on October 19, 2017, 01:19:58 PM
Ha, you're assuming you're actually going to be part of a faction. That's cute.

Aww, that's a shame.
[tr][td]
[/td]
[td][/td]
[td]Woo's and Won'ts / Absences
Stor-E Writers Registry[/td]
[td][/td]
[td][/td]
[/tr][/table]

Cataclysmic Archangel

Quote from: Hexed on October 19, 2017, 02:11:53 PM
Old republic is best!  And while I've played the old games I play the mmo more. Stupid windows 10 not liking older games.

I liked the MMO until they decided that your class storyline meant nothing, right around the time they did the xpacs and the 'Outlander'.