Warhammer 40K: Wrath of Chaos

Started by Krayz, November 24, 2010, 02:40:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Krayz

So, I'm about to actually buy my first set of Warhammer 40K miniatures, and I figure that the best way to celebrate is trying to set up one of the many cursed Warhammer 40K games here on E.

Well, the premise of this particular game would be an invasion by a force of Chaos Space Marines, led by yours truly, against an Imperial Hive World. The forces of the Imperium would, of course, sweep in to try and stem the evil tide. Much heresy and burning-of-heretics would ensue. Meanwhile, there'd also be room for many other races (Orks, Eldar, Tyranids, etc) to come in and add to the fun.

On the subject of 'fun', there's a LOT of room, just sticking with the Chaos invasion and any humans involved, you have the baseline; what kind of fun can a Chaos Marine have with an Imperial woman? Or Imperial Guard officers with the local population, or each other (equal opportunity in the Guard), or even the Sisters of Battle (even warrior-nuns need to get off every once in a while)? More than anything, you deal with a simple matter:

"In the grim darkness of the future, there is only war." And in war, things get ugly.

HairyHeretic

Hey, if you're playing a Slaaneshi marine, you can have fun with anything  ;D
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Krayz

'xactly. They're like concentrated hedonism and BDSM injected into Tasmanian devils xD

Krayz

Nothing?

I know these things have bad luck, but still...

Primarch

I'd be interested. Suggestion for you though, if you're going to offer a 40k game. Keep peoples options limited, that is too say, don't try offer too much. One faction for the players for instance, trying to let everyone play their favourite race/army sets up an extremely spread out game. As you have it, you running the Chaos attacking an Imperial World....I'd advise keep it limited to that. Perhaps allowing the Inqusition and maybe one Space Marine faction (I'd advise a popular one, Ultra Marines or Space Wolves for instance).

Krayz

I like the cut of your jib, son.

XD

So yeah, Chaos V Imperium. Work out the details later, but first lets get some more huzzahs!

ChaoticSky

Hello! not sure if you would welcome input or not... but im a helpful sort, so forgive me :P i shall share my observations that i have made over much playing and lurking on E and beyond, you may use them as you will.

i would like you to succeed in forging a 40k RP, however, the.... issue that i have seen with your post (and my supposed reason for the apparent lack of interest) is a lack of a certain.... precision of vision.
a few points to consider:
-40k is a deep, rich and complex setting, people who would be most interested by a 40k RP, also tend to prefer deep, rich, and complex roleplay. a weak plot will have more trouble drawing players than a precise one, your plot amounts to 'chaos is invading! .......... okay have fun!'. we 40k-people are often more picky than that XD.
-40k is not a setting for pussyfooting around, its appalling, brutal, violent, and riddled with insanity and darkness. 'Combative' role plays rely on recurring clashes between players, when it comes to 40k, this tends to end badly in one of three ways: A) somewhere between 'half' and 'all' of your players are dead by the end of the first 'phase' of the RP, this is the 'realistic' way, but reducing your players will naturally kill off your RP. B) if they are allows to remake new characters... over time those characters will become simpler and more 1 dimensional, as despair and lack of ideas begins to set in, which will kill your RP as sure as a anchor tied to your ankles in the middle of the pacific. C) if no-killing is in effect, the lack of death and true-violence creates a kind of... dissonance between what the player expects of 40k in general, and what they are getting from your RP, which will manifest as dissatisfaction, and also run your game into the ground.

-the most successful games plant all the players on one side, and provide a NPC faction to slaughter. You can see examples of semi-successful games Here and Here
-the Grim Dark Introduction to 40k is both awsome and iconic, and using some version of it would certainly help to drag people in, kicking and screaming if necessary.

For more than a hundred centuries the Emperor has sat immobile on the Golden Throne of Earth.
He is the master of mankind by the will of the gods and ruler of a million worlds by the might of his inexhaustible armies.
He is a rotting carcass writhing invisibly with power from the Dark Age of Technology.
He is the Carrion Lord of the Imperium for whom a thousand souls are sacrificed every day, that he may never truly die.
To live in such times is to be one amongst untold billions. It is to live in the cruelest and most bloody regime imaginable.
This is a tale of those times.
It is a universe you can live in today – if you dare – for this is a dark and terrible era where you will find little comfort or hope.
If you want to take part in the adventure then prepare yourself now.
Forget the power of technology, science and common humanity.
Forget the promise of progress and understanding, for so much has been lost, never to be relearned.
There is no peace amongst the stars, only an eternity of carnage and slaughter, and the laughter of thirsting gods.
But the universe is a big place and, whatever happens, you will not be missed...
For in the grim darkness of the future, there is only war!

need i say more? :P

-Final point, the Tau make the best enemy, since no one but traitors and heretics like them, and they squish most satisfactorily when you put a powerfist in their smug faces. *nods seriously*  :P

anyway, thats my 2c, i hope any of it is helpful!

Primarch

Quote"40k is not a setting for pussyfooting around, its appalling, brutal, violent, and riddled with insanity and darkness."

Very true. While I wouldn't suggest killing players as quickly as they do in say, the 40k novels. However their should be a risk of danger, perhaps in the form of risk to bodily parts. A character might not get to finish a mission because of an injury, might not get the chance to earn a cool piece of equipment.

HairyHeretic

I don't know about that. Characters in novels tend to live through things (sometimes only just) that they wouldn't if dice were involved ;)

In the novels a single space marine can and will tear through scores of ordinary humans. Nothing wrong in taking the cinematic approach where NPC redshirts are concerned. I believe there's a mechanic for that in Deathwatch, to let you mow down hordes of mooks as you go along.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Primarch

Quote from: HairyHeretic on November 25, 2010, 06:05:10 PM
I don't know about that. Characters in novels tend to live through things (sometimes only just) that they wouldn't if dice were involved ;)

In the novels a single space marine can and will tear through scores of ordinary humans. Nothing wrong in taking the cinematic approach where NPC redshirts are concerned. I believe there's a mechanic for that in Deathwatch, to let you mow down hordes of mooks as you go along.

Yes but in this case we'll more then likely be playing humans and we'll be against Space Marines. <.<

Krayz

Hey Darkling, was wondering when you'd show up :P

In terms of detail, I've got a lot of it going in my head right now. I've just been holding off in case there's no interest for it. When I do these sorts of things, I figure out the geography, battlelines, headquarters. I even draw maps for them sometimes. If I need to in order to garnish interest, I can weave out the proper story, but I'd rather not until I know I'll have players.

As for the other issue, having an entire side of NPCs seems the best way to go about things. The only problem is that leaves only one side to choose from, and while I'd like to play Chaos myself, I would bet that most people would prefer the Imperium.

So, who'd like to play Imperium, and who'd like to play Chaos? Whichever gets more votes'll be the PC faction.

Primarch

QuoteSo, who'd like to play Imperium, and who'd like to play Chaos? Whichever gets more votes'll be the PC faction.

Depends on whats on the picking list of either side. What wargear we got access too, is Imperium just Imperial Guard and SOB or Inquisition & Space Marines?

Krayz

It's the whole gamut on either side:

Imperium would include the Imperial Guard, Inquisition, Space Marines, Sisters of Battle, and various other agents of the Imperium (Minstorum Priests, Assassins, etc).

Chaos, meanwhile, would include the standard Chaos Space Marines, but also the Lost and the Damned and Chaos Daemons, and anyone that could be reasonably believed to have turned to the worship of Chaos (fallen Inquisitors, traitor Assassins, the Dark Mechanicum, etc).

In terms of power and wargear, I'd like most characters to not rank higher than a field commander of some kind (Space Marine Captain/equivalent, Colonel/equivalent of an Imperial Guard regiment).

As for what forces would be involved, I'm incredibly hesitant to set in place a specific regiment/chapter/legion/etc. One of the things that *I* have loved the most about 40K is the room for creativity afforded by the sheer scope of the setting. The choice of colours, equipment and combat styles even between two different Space Marine Chapters is awe-inspiring. I'll likely set a sort of majority force that represents the standard of each group (most likely a large Cadian battlegroup in the centre of the IG force, one of the more well-known and mainstream Space Marine chapters), but I would leave room for players to command their own small detachment (a few Space Marine companies, an Imperial Guard regiment, Chaos warband, etc).

The biggest image I want to leave is that a character should be exceptional in whatever rank they are at, but I don't want them being Abaddon the Despoiler's chief rival, a new High Marshal of the Black Templars, or a Lord Solar of this big crusade.

Be impressive, but not legendary, and have your choice of wargear reflect that.

Hellion000

I want to play an Ork just so I can say 'Sod off' to anyone who wants to bone.

We all know da 'Boyz breed via spores.

Krayz

Unfortunately, da boyz're not an option :P

Thank God; I always dread someone wanting to get raped by an Ork. My canon-obsession makes it painful xD

Primarch

Okay so we got good options.....tough decision, but I'll put my vote down as Imperium.

Hellion000

Quote from: Krayz on November 25, 2010, 10:51:51 PM
Unfortunately, da boyz're not an option :P

Thank God; I always dread someone wanting to get raped by an Ork. My canon-obsession makes it painful xD

It sure would be funny though. Not to mention fun.

Gamemaster: "You wake up in the morning, what do you do?"

Chaos Marine: "I find skulls for the skull throne."
Space Marine: "I purge the xenos!"
Imperial: "I work like a slave in the name of the Emperor."
Eldar: *is hiding, so doesn't answer*
Hive Fleet: "I eat a planet."
Dark Eldar: *is hiding and eating someone, so doesn't answer*
Sister: "I purge the xenos and tighten my chastity belt."
Necrons: *is pretending to be dead, so don't answer*

and finally, we come to the 'boyz:

The 'Boyz: "WWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH!"

HairyHeretic

If you wanted an Ork game, I wonder if you could cut down GorkaMorka enough to run something on here.

GorkaMorka is basically Mad Max with Orks :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Kiric Rand

Well, if you still are trying, I'dthroy my hand in as a Slannesh marine, or even a Slannesh cultest trying to aspire to marine (which could be even more fun lol)
[Floatright]
[/float]
Guardian of Lynnie's heart
-My inbox is sort.of like 7-11. It's not always doing business, but it's always open.-
Flying High or Falling Fast (O/Os)My Ideas! A/A updated 2/11/15

Krayz

@Kiric: Becoming a Marine isn't a matter of pumping iron and getting a suit of armour. Your character would have to be quite young, but already 90% of the way along in becoming a full-fledged Marine. The Chaos Marines don't follow the same rigid schedules as their loyalist brethren, but your average Scout Marine is 15, and they've received every single implant available except the Black Carapace for interfacing with power armour. You either become a Space Marine as a kid, or you don't, and no amount of serving Slaanesh'd change that.

That being said, a Chaos cultist on the way to DAEMONHOOD...

And with all that said:

IMPERIUM 1

CHAOS 1

Kiric Rand

Oh I understand that becoming an actually marine is impossible for him (I am a formor 40K player. Emporor's Children no less) Doesn't mean he wouldn't try though lol.
[Floatright]
[/float]
Guardian of Lynnie's heart
-My inbox is sort.of like 7-11. It's not always doing business, but it's always open.-
Flying High or Falling Fast (O/Os)My Ideas! A/A updated 2/11/15

Primarch

By the way, when the factions are decided and we're picking wargear, are we going with what they could take in the codex's or will be more of a "help yourself but use common sense" ?

Muse

*Sighs* 

Well, I was interested in what was originally described, and was going too offer to play a sister of battle for Krayz's horde's to ravish, corrupt, and generally have their way with. 

Now it just sounds like a free form version of Death Watch, and all I'm hearing about is character generation so I wonder why you're not just playing Death Watch? 

Maybe if I'd played some of these video games I would get it.  *shrugs* 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Krayz

Mostly the second. Like, no IG commanders with Daemonhammers they took off an Inquisitor's corpse, for example. Plausible? Yes, but ridiculous.

A Radical Inquisitor with a Daemon Weapon? A little more believable, if incredibly nerve-wracking.

And the same goes for some other matters. If another faction has a kind of weapon you really like, and you could believably get your hands on one (a Tau Pulse Carbine from fighting in the Eastern Fringe, for example), then go for it. But, again, play with this loosely; no Commissars in hijacked XV8 Crisis Battlesuits.

As well, don't feel bad about playing around with ideas that aren't used very widely. For example, you could have an Imperial Guard commander who's a Blank/Pariah that slipped through the Necrons' and the Culexus Temple's nets. It would give him an edge if he ever came up against one of those pesky Sorcerers (realistically, an IG commander only gets by against his opposites by either relying on his troops rather than his own skills, or being SOMETHING out of the ordinary). I considered doing the same thing with an Inquisitor, using a Null Rod to represent it.

Then I decided that sanity is for the weak xD

QuoteSide Note

One thing I would actively recommend is taking standard wargear options and playing around with them to produce something that sounds cool and unique, but doesn't function differently from the norm.

Example: Take a Chaos Lord. Give him a pair of lightning claws, a Mark and Disc of Tzeentch, and a plasma pistol (ArmyBuilder program I got says this works, but I'm still new to the game, so I'm kind of iffy). So, you have a pretty cool Chaos Lord of Tzeentch; 5 attacks, 4+ Invulnerable Save, and he's Jump Infantry.

Say you want this dude to be a Warsmith of the Iron Warriors, worshippers of Chaos Undivided. Iron Warriors are known for their mechanical inclinations. The result? Your Warsmith enhanced/crafted a customized suit of power armour that has built-in boosters, increasing the speed of his movements (ergo, his attacks) and allows him to function as Jump Infantry. As well, his technical skill in working with the armour allowed him to build in a reflective field that increases his Invulnerable Save to 4+.

Now, the lightning claws and the plasma pistol. Nothing scary awesome needs to be done here. Simply have the palms of the lightning claws have built-in plasma casters (which function exactly like a plasma pistol, but look and sound MUCH cooler).

And voila, you have a Warsmith with some hardass sounding gear that functions EXACTLY like your Chaos Lord of Tzeentch. This way, you get a very customized commander that still doesn't outshine the pre-made commanders with their unique and special rules.

'Course, I figured out how to have fun with them while allowing you to make your own dude as well xD

Krayz

Well, because Deathwatch is about, well, the Deathwatch, for one >_>;

Don't have anyone to play with, for two.

Don't have Deathwatch, for three.

Please don't post just to say how disappointed you are, for four. We're trying to gather support here, and it doesn't help when someone comes in just to say how they don't like it. That being said, if you read my previous post, there's going to be more room to play around with than just the standard options of games like Deathwatch and Dark Heresy, ideally.