Doll Face

Started by Bliss, April 13, 2008, 02:50:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bliss

What makes you human?

Edit: Inlining
Edit: Thanks Vex!
O/O ~ Wiki ~ A/A ~ Discord: Bliss#0337
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

SerpentKiss

Quite stunning. And is a testament to what people are like. At least those solely based on their looks. The amusing thing about it is that people who are obsessed with how they look, would not understand this is a representation of themselves, mimicking what the media tells them, until they finally break, but would see it as an ugly...thing. something trying to copy them and eventually failing. That is how dense these people are.

But I suppose it'd go onto an even bigger scale. The idea that we as a race, follow what the media tells us blindly. We act the way we are told to by the masses, and that eventually, we are lead, following blindly like happy, ignorant sheep, not caring about where we originated from or what we have left behind (in this case the box we break, but in a larger scale, maybe family members we've left emotionally broken), which end up causing our own destruction.

It is very thought provoking...

NightBird

http://www.cindyjackson.com/my_cosmetic_surgery2.php

Estimates I've heard range between $100,000 and $360,000 for the surgeries she's had done.

SerpentKiss

I don't like the idea of plastic surgery. I understand the need for reconstructive surgery for physical scarring, or even for the mental illnesses that can occur, where surgery is needed, because someone is so insecure about their looks, it leads to depression.

But the idea of people doing it, just cos they wished they looked ten years younger is a bit repulsive to me. It's like people see themselves as objects. Yes, you may look like you did ten years ago, but back then it didn't hurt to sit down, let alone have sex. If you still have the ability to be a wildcat in the bedroom department, no one's going to care what you look like as long as you please them.

It's like top fashion models that all get the surgery done to look more beautiful. It's like...wait, they're the models we're meant to aspire to but they're changing what they look like? Why?! It doesn't make sense...except the image they now have is another thing to sell.

Give me a natural beauty with an hourglass figure over a plastic pencil with tits any day...

Cherri Tart

omg... i'm thinking that maybe i'm a total freak, but that was a stunningly beautiful film and my heart went out to the jack in the box girl *grabs tissues* thanks for sharing it. 
you were never able to keep me breathing as the water rises up again

O/O, Cherri Flavored

kongming

Same here, Cherri. I really felt for that robot-girl.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.

Ons/Offs:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=9536.msg338515

Cherri Tart

*hugs KM*  i've felt like that before too, so i guess i have empathy. :)

O/O, Cherri Flavored

Trieste

Beautifully done video. Thanks for sharing, Bliss!

Something I noticed when I was watching was that the face on the screen was empty, and not very pretty... but when it was on the doll, animated, even with her puzzled, sort of desperate look, it looked much nicer. The animation, the fact that it was alive, made it more attractive. It's what I don't like of photos of models (body and whatnot aside). I dislike how flat, bland, emotionless their faces are. On the site that Nightbird posted, the woman listed on her wishlist "not to have to wear a lifetime of hardship etched on my face"... and I see the same problem with her 'after' picture. Her face is terrible. It has no character. Living... feeling pain, joy, love, hope, despair, fear, anxiety... these are the things that make one beautiful.

And the doll model has beautiful eyes. Gorgeous.

Maeven

Really a very well done piece.  Although, I'm not sure necessarily that I feel badly for the "robot."  I think it perfectly represents evolution and why we evolve and progress.  It's the constant drive for the unattainable that makes us reinvent ourselves in an attempt to conquer.  Certainly it can and does sometimes result in a perverted outcome (slavery, mutilation, etc.) but there are times when beauty is the result. 

Thanks for posting it!
What a wicked game to play, to make me feel this way.
What a wicked thing to do, to let me dream of you.
What a wicked thing to say, you never felt this way.
What a wicked thing to do, to make me dream of you. 

The Cardinal Rule

Cherri Tart

oh! i just have to add something that has nothing to do with anything here - i LOVE your avatar, Maeven! *blushes and hides under the covers*

O/O, Cherri Flavored

Greenthorn

It all comes down to doing anything..even if it means leaving your own "core" behind..just to look "beautiful" and "perfect".  It's a sad world for our daughters and grand-daughters indeed.

Trieste

Man... I'm really not sure where to put this, since it pertains to an interpretation of the video but might not be appropriate for OT.

The thing is, I have some food for thought that I figured I would hand out like so many fresh, hot muffins. At least, I hope my thought-food is that yummy. I find the plastic surgery/modern beauty interpretation to be a bit narrowly focused... Greenthorn expressed concern about future generations, and while social pressure is certainly scary, I'm not that worried about future generations where social image is concerned. I mean, yes, I hope for improvement, and pity those who go to extremes... but we have come a long, long way. At least women in the US who get plastic surgery (and men) have some choice in the matter. I'm more horrified at the thought of girls having their feet bound at early ages to achieve smaller feet. There are still older women today who had that done, and they are pretty much crippled. A less extreme example would be high heels. They make the legs look shapelier and emphasize curves but they damage the feet, too. There's some evidence that brassieres, expecially push-ups, restrict the glandular flow of breasts so that women have more problems with them. And do I even need to mention corsets?

My point is that the pursuit of beauty is not a new thing, and I have a lot of hope for newer generations. It's the generations past that I feel sorry for.

Greenthorn

Trieste..I agree we have come a long way...

Maeven

Quote from: Cherri Tart on April 17, 2008, 12:01:26 PM
oh! i just have to add something that has nothing to do with anything here - i LOVE your avatar, Maeven! *blushes and hides under the covers*

Thanks Cherri!

And, yes, I completely agree.  When the desire for some idea of perfection leads to a perversion, especially of the human body, its very sad.  Hopefully the future is brighter although with celebs like Priscilla Presley getting these whackjobs who inject god know's what in their face in the name of looking younger... it makes you wonder. 
What a wicked game to play, to make me feel this way.
What a wicked thing to do, to let me dream of you.
What a wicked thing to say, you never felt this way.
What a wicked thing to do, to make me dream of you. 

The Cardinal Rule