Aragem

ElvenKitten

Aragem

Name: Amanda Brie
Eyes: Blue
Hair: Red hair, chest length
Build: Slender
Major:  Arcanist

Bio: Ever since Amanda was a little a girl, she noticed things others did not.  She could see things moving in the shadows and could hear whispers calling her name.  When she told her parents, they said it was just her overactive imagination, but she always knew the things were real because they were damn well there and watching her.  She started seeing and hearing them at school and none of other kids could see or hear them.  During a lesson, she could see a scaly head peering at her from behind the teacher's desk making faces at her while the class continued.  She screamed and the teacher sent her home for hysterics.  Even the child psychiatrist deemed Amanda with an overactive imagination with night terrors.  It wasn't until she told her grandmother about them, that at last an adult took her seriously.  Her grandmother took her onto her lap and murmur comforting words.

"I'll make a charm for you, my dear.  It'll keep the nasties away and let you enjoy your childhood, but when your powers manifest, the charm will not work no longer, but fear not, I'll be there to help you."

The charm worked like, well, a charm.  As soon as she slip the home made necklace over her head, she saw no more shadows and heard no more whispers.  Yet, at the back of her mind, she knew they were there, the charm just kept her from seeing them.  Soon, she was able to enjoy her life again and resumed her usual activities as a child and her parents simple believed she had gone through a phase.     

After Amanda's fifteenth birthday, she found she was able to do things the other kids couldn't do.  Sometimes she could make a breeze go astray or cause rain drops to miss her during a storm.  The creatures came back, but more so.  They even tried to to grab her whenever she came too close to a shadow or dark doorway.  Then she called her grandmother who invited her over to tell her about their family history.

Their family goes back to the Salem witch trials where most of their number was killed during the witch hunts.  "We are not witches, not exactly, we don't brew potions or worship any evil gods or devils.  But we do have power in our blood, a power that comes from long ago when our people once lived on an island that had sank into the ocean.  I do know what our race is called, but others have called us Elementals.  We have power over the elemental properties of fire and wind, even water and rock.  Sometimes the power skips a generation and when your mother's powers didn't manifest, I had hoped it had died as our blood had become too thin from breeding with mundane people. 

"We can become very powerful, but that power comes with a price that you are familiar with.  We draw the attention of the dark creatures that attack us from the shadows and they would use us for their own ends.  My power has vanished from age and through my lack of using it, but you have potential for great power, Amanda, and I will teach you the way my mother taught me."

Amanda spent the next two years training with her grandmother in her isolated cottage on the outskirts of town.  When her parents divorced, she moved in with her to get away from the arguing and the way her parents tried to force her to choose between them.  Her grandmother taught her how to divert the wind to go in the direction she wanted and how to use water to scry and most of all, how to defend herself from the things who would use her power for their own. 

Shortly after her 17th birthday, Amanda was at home alone while her grandmother was at the store when there was a knock at the door.  And then Amanda found herself in a limo with her belongings packed to go to a new school.

Talents: Amanda has a budding magical talent that centers on the elements.  She has come far under her grandmother's tutelage, but can go further under the right training.  She can control wind to blow at near hurricane force and can use water to scry for current or future events, but this talent is not always dependable.  She can use fire as a short range weapon and split rock.  And she's a decent cook when she gets access to a kitchen and the right ingredients.   

Flaws: Amanda has potential as an Arcanist, but it draws monsters and creatures towards her whenever she uses it.  She has no idea what their intentions towards her are, but nothing good, she could be sure.  Amanda tends to get frustrated when she doesn't get the results she wants and tends to mope or pout from her own failures.       

Notes: Might add more to this later.

Aragem

finished with profile.  If I need to make any changes, let me know.

MissFire

Looks good, Aragem. Approved. Feel free to join the OOC.
"There are five possible operations for any army. If you can fight, fight; if you cannot fight, defend; if you cannot defend, flee; if you cannot flee, surrender; if you cannot surrender, die."
    - Sima Yi

ElvenKitten

Name: Howard, Emily
Eyes: Blue
Hair: Brown, Long
Build: Petite
Major:Technician.

Bio: Emily was always good with computers and had a habit of pushing the limits of what was sensible or legal. During a school trip the Bletchley she found a hidden notebook written by Turing himself. Using the information in the notebook she discovered how to build some interesting and sometimes dangerous devices She succeeded in creating a number of programs that could alter reality itself and even create a petrification gun using a 3D cammera.  As she continued she got bolder with her work, ignorant of the damage she could inflict on the world     

She tried an experiment on a grand scale using her school's computer network and the local Mobile phone base station. If someone from the Miskatonic before she inadvertently released a tentacled abomination in the middle of Buckinghamshire.

Emily is generally inept in social situations and her blunt honesty can get her into trouble at times. She is generally won over with a good cup of tea or a new electronic device to tinker with

Talents: Emily can create computer programs and mobile apps and devices that blur the line between science and magic  and powerful weapons of various sorts. Her endless tinkering means she can fix most electronic devices.

Flaws: Emily is fairly weak physically and fairly pathetic and anything requiring running throwing or climbing. She can come across as being a little arrogant and condescending to those she views as less intelligent. She is also overly eager to use her latest inventions in the field without testing so she knows what it actually does

Notes: She carries around a modified iPhone loaded with useful aps that she calls the NecronoiPhone. She is also a huge fan of the Harry Potter books and films.

Chrystal

Quote from: ElvenKitten on February 28, 2016, 12:29:16 PM
She is also a huge fan of the Harry Potter books and films.

Hence the Griffindor teeshirt?

I bet she'd going to be MOST possed off when she learns that there are people who can actually do magic, and she has to accomplish the same thing with machines!

Please check out my latest A/A post.
I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

ElvenKitten

Quote from: Chrystal on February 28, 2016, 01:38:19 PM
Hence the Griffindor teeshirt?

I bet she'd going to be MOST possed off when she learns that there are people who can actually do magic, and she has to accomplish the same thing with machines!
Thought that would be super fun ;D Also after listening to the Harry Potter audiobooks I've gained a new apreciation for the series :-)

Crash

Magic?  If you mean reading ancient Aramaic from a moldy old scroll and waking the Phaorah Ankemhotep from his eons long slumber.  Yeah I can do that!

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."
Congratulations, you've unlocked Flirtatious Crash! - Envious

Chrystal

Nah, I mean healing the sick, raising the dead and predicting the future... *grins*

Please check out my latest A/A post.
I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

Crash

Quote from: Chrystal on February 28, 2016, 04:33:08 PM
Nah, I mean healing the sick, raising the dead and predicting the future... *grins*

Oh yeah.  No I have no idea...well accept that whole raising the dead thing, but I'm still not sure if that was me or that darn monkey's paw I found a while back.

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."
Congratulations, you've unlocked Flirtatious Crash! - Envious

ElvenKitten

I imagine she might get some interesting answers if she asked about wands

Steir

Good day! This has gotten my attention somehow, so I'm curious if it's within bounds to make an Arcanist character that is graced by elemental spirits. This grants her the ability to summon such spirits to assist her for a short duration, granting her means to cast spells of varying purposes. Due to this innate talent, she can sense presences that are magical (or arcane?) in nature, but serves as a beacon for other beings as well until she learns how to control the outpour of her excess magical powers.

Speaking of elements, what format are we going by? Will it be limited to the alchemist elemental format of earth, fire, wind, and water?

Also, is the setting of the game a modern time? Lovecraft always struck me as steampunk, but noticed characters are more of a modern setting.

:-)

MissFire

It's modern. Also I'd likely turn down an arcanist, as we already have two if my count is correct.
"There are five possible operations for any army. If you can fight, fight; if you cannot fight, defend; if you cannot defend, flee; if you cannot flee, surrender; if you cannot surrender, die."
    - Sima Yi

Steir

I understand. The other option I am thinking of would be a technician character who has stumbled into making a summoning program app (based of a series called Shin Megami Tensei). I am not fluent with Lovecraft, however, and wouldn't know what could end up being summoned.

Steir

Let's see if I can dig something up. I have an image attached, but won't show up for some reason. Okay, floatleft should be set outside of the image tags.

:P

Name: Amano, Shizuka
Eyes: Brown
Hair: Black, Long
Build: Lithe
Major: Technician

Bio: Shizuka has been obsessed with tinkering with machines for as long as she can remember. Her father worked at the family-owned machine shop that made repairs in town, and she has been helping out since she was still young. She quickly got the knack of making her own contraptions as she grew up, picking up programming along the way to expand her knowledge of building better machines for whatever whims came across her. Her room eventually filled up with various inventions, tools, and works in progress (which she sometimes have to tearfully part with to make room for better things). Her social life has been relatively uneventful, with only a few friends able to stay with her because of her pursuits.

Shizuka's life has been normal until she started living on her own for college. She was on her usual shopping trip for parts at her favorite hangout when she picked up an unusual part among the scraps. The shopkeeper had no idea what it was, letting her keep it together with her purchases for the day.

The part (or cube, for accuracy sake) seemed to be made of many parts, yet showed no signs of how it was assembled. Shizuka could feel a strange warmth coming off from it, as well as an unusual inspiration to build something with it. Days passed into weeks, and weeks into months. Shizuka stepped back and looked at what she felt is her best masterpiece to date - an unusual bracer that fit perfectly on her left hand. With the right button combinations, Shizuka could easily bring any tool out from the bracer as she needed. She was so delighted at her work that she forgot to take it off when she went to sleep to deal with her exhaustion.

It was a fitful sleep, filled with a dream involving weird machine people in a mist-filled factory. These people have weird devices attached to their bodies, standing around her. Without warning, the people grabbed Shizuka and carried her deeper into the factory. Unusual devices were forced upon her as she was strapped against an unusual metal throne. Finally, Shizuka woke up with a start before a helmet was forced onto her head. Worry became a bit of panic when she tried to take the bracer off, which felt like it became a part of her. The worse part was how it seemed to be talking in her head in a language she did not understand. The plus side - there is a definite improvement in Shizuka's ability to make much better inventions.

Talents: Craft inventions that are ahead of the time, for most of the time at least. She can fix and dismantle things as long as she has the right tools (which the unusual bracer now provides), and even upgrade them (sometimes too much to be of any use). As long as Shizuka has enough parts to work with, she can build something up (within time constraints).

Flaws: Shizuka tends to have a one-track mind when it comes to talking about machines and technology. Her skills can't make anything like Frankenstein does (and she rather not). Despite being used to handling mess involved in making machines, gross things from non-mechanical objects still gross her out.

Notes: Shizuka occasionally makes machines for the sake of stimulating herself. She keeps these contraptions out of sight as much as possible until she is assured of some privacy.

ThisOneGal