Rick Perry von facepalm

Started by Silk, December 07, 2011, 06:22:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silk

Strong

Really... I thought the UK was in a lot of trouble by having Gordon brown/Dave Cameron/Nick Clegg for our prime minister... It scares me that this man actually is given the light of day, let alone seriously considered for canidacy for all his "work"

Hemingway

You don't have to be in the pew every Sunday? I'm sure he's right about that, but I definitely think it helps. Religion may not cause anti-homosexual attitudes, but people definitely use their religions to justify their views. It's harder to do that, especially in public, when you have to back it up with something.

But, really, this seems pretty typical. Just more hyperbole, slander and outright lies. I find it hard to even stay serious when discussing Rick Perry and politicians like him, so, well, generally I try to avoid it.

gaggedLouise

The Republican field of runners has been outright bizarre for quite some time now. Bachmann the tea-party nut, then Gingrich who is openly advocating sending kids to work and get money for their unemployed parents and for joke wages, and who shows no grasp that unemployment and corporate crisis are structural problems, not just the outcome of a few individuals scooping away money - and then this guy. So, allowing gays and other LGBTs to serve in the armed forces without having to keep their orientation a secret to everyone spells a threat to U.S. armed efficiency and possibly a disgrace to the loving God? Now we're talking!

Hopefully the guy was done for by that moment when he vowed to blank out three departments and couldn't name the third one (a truly jaw-dropping point, and he even repeated it over a few minutes)  It seems hard to believe that he'd really get the nomination after that - though he just might be in the vice presidential slot, which would be frigthening under any circumstances and especially if Gingrich takes the main nomination.

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Samael

As a European I'm just wanting to say "What. The. F...?"
On & Offs | My Games | Apologies & Absences | Tumblr
Et comme des fleurs de glace, on grandit dans la nuit
La lumière nous efface, dans la noirceur on vit
Comme des fleurs de glace, on rêve et on reste unis
Des fleurs au cœur de l'insomnie

"Eisblume - Fleurs De Glace"

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Samael on December 07, 2011, 09:16:50 PM
As a European I'm just wanting to say "What. The. F...?"

Mmm. Also being from the eastern side of the big water,  this kind of clip makes me think of that U.S. Christian Right congressman I once saw on tv booming "I'm tired of all those liberals and communists!"  :D

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Samael

Quote from: gaggedLouise on December 07, 2011, 09:27:08 PM
Mmm. Also being from the eastern side of the big water,  this kind of clip makes me think of that U.S. Christian Right congressman I once saw on tv booming "I'm tired of all those liberals and communists!"  :D

Seriously.
I mean, we have the "big" religious party here, too, and like in the US, they are right wing, but if they would spout half of what this guy said in that clip, it would be political suicide.

They'd crash from being one of the two dominant parties to "never been heard of again."

Jude

Any educated American should be saying what the fuck.

Yeah, Perry would be right.  It would be fucked up if we let gays serve openly and didn't also let school children pray in school -- it would be.  Children are free to pray in school, we just don't require them to or set aside special time to encourage it.

How anyone can be opposed to gays serving in the military to begin with on supposed "moral" grounds is beyond me anyway.  I can't even.

Oniya

As I've said often on Facebook - as long as there are algebra tests, there will be prayer in public schools.  Sort of a take-off on the old line, 'There are no atheists in foxholes'.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Envious

Rinzler

Trieste

We're still in primary season, so you'll see a lot of stuff appealing to the right wing hardcore-ers. Why? Because they are the ones that vote in primaries. It's not until the national election is underway that you'll see all the backpedaling and doublespeak (more than you see right now, I mean).

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Trieste on December 08, 2011, 11:36:12 AM
We're still in primary season, so you'll see a lot of stuff appealing to the right wing hardcore-ers. Why? Because they are the ones that vote in primaries. It's not until the national election is underway that you'll see all the backpedaling and doublespeak (more than you see right now, I mean).

Last election I got to see second hand a bunch of the back room antics around my older brother who was running for office. It started with a 'friend' of the family smearing his name and calling him all sorts of names because my brother wasn't someone he could control. He (the 'friend' went down in flames unrelated to my brother's run) and then watching as the party turned away candidate after candidate and leave them hanging because they weren't a product of the small core group inside the party. IE..they were thinking men and women who wouldn't beholden to the party. Then someone came in nearly (and literally) at the last moment that they could leverage (because he was in so late) and backed him. This led to them losing the governors race despite winning pretty much anything else.

Too many of the candidates I see on TV now are folks who for the most part do NOT have a chances. Perry, Cain, Bachman andn Huntsman for example. But they are people the core group inside the party leadership CAN manipulate.. so they back them. Without considering that puppets aren't what you want in the white house, you want a leader.

Samael

I'm incredibly amused right now.
Not only does he wear the same jacket as Heath Ledger in Brokeback mountain, the music they use is also composed by Aaron Copland, who, outside of being an Atheist, also was gay, and often traveled with his younger, male lovers.

QuoteRick Perry certainly has a lot to say about homosexuals in his 31-second campaign video. If you're one of the lucky few who haven't yet seen it, the presidential hopeful rails against gays openly serving in the military, children not being allowed to pray in school (wrong!), and Obama's "war on religion." Which religion, Perry? Hinduism? Islam? Christianity? There's a lot of religions out there, sir, so it might be helpful to your cause to specify which religion Obama's got a war against.

To get back to the topic at hand, not a lot of people paid attention to the background music. It turns out, a music major from Harvard was one of the first to notice it was composed by Aaron Copland, one of the most successful composers of the 20th century. Copland was an American born of Jewish Lithuanian immigrants in 1900. So, not only is the music in a pro-Christian, anti-gay ad written by a gay man, that composer was also Jewish.

Copland wasn't just gay, he was flaming gay. He was famous for traveling and living openly with his much younger boy toys, flouting societal rules and disapproval. His relationships lasted only a few years, but he remained lifelong friends with many of his former lovers. Some of his most famous works include Billy the Kid and Fanfare for the Common Man.

Oh, yeah, Copland was also a communist for a short time who support the Communist Party USA ticket in the 1936 presidential elections, was heavily investigated by the FBI, and was interrogated during the McCarthy trials. He quit the Communist Party in the 50s and started voting Democratic after he saw how Communism repressed artistic talent and freedom.
http://politics.gather.com/viewArticle.action?articleId=281474980886727

Rinzler

^^LMAO - luv it. They say irony is good for the blood, after all...  ;D

Samael

Honestly, at this point I expect him to be caught with a rent boy any day now.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Samael on December 11, 2011, 04:19:51 PM

Nah.. though I would enjoy watching the feeding frenzy of the press.

He's a tool.. but I get the feeling he is a tool that lives by (most) of the rules he sets. Whereas Bachmann and Cain struck me as utter hypocrites who would do anything to get ahead. Up to and including shanking their mothers for rating points.

Rinzler

Quote from: Samael on December 11, 2011, 04:19:51 PM

He seems the type. There's definitely that 'Ted Haggard' aura about him. Seems to protest just a little too much, doesn't he.

Caeli

I remember briefly catching a glimpse of the Rick Perry ordeal while I was on Huffington post browsing for other things.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/12/08/rick-perry-rebecca-black-youtube-dislikes_n_1138000.html

Although Justin Bieber still holds the #1 spot for most disliked video on YouTube, I think his ratio of views to dislikes (people who are openly expressing their views, at any rate) is pretty phenomenal.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs