News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Pokemon!

Started by Dimir, January 05, 2015, 03:55:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tsenta

Managed to get my hands on a Nobunaga's Rayquaza, happy dance for me. Lol
There ain't no rest for the wicked.

[Sic Semper Tyrannis - "Thus always to tyrants"] - Marcus Junius Brutus The Younger.

Dimir

Anyone else besides me enjoyed the two shadow pokemon games for the Gamecube (Colosseum and XD)? Despite the linear format, I highly enjoyed the changes from the regular game, a more outlaw region, actually interesting main character, and some very difficult bosses.
My PM Box is always open for those who wish to chat with someone.
Major fan of Magic The Gathering, Sailor Moon and Pokemon
O/O's: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=221869.0

JoanieSappho

I enjoyed them as well, Dimir. Colosseum more than XD, though. The difficulty was great, the fact the starters were and Espeon and an Umbreon, the whole focus on double battles ... those games were great fun.

Dimir

Quote from: JoanieSappho on March 12, 2015, 07:46:56 PM
I enjoyed them as well, Dimir. Colosseum more than XD, though. The difficulty was great, the fact the starters were and Espeon and an Umbreon, the whole focus on double battles ... those games were great fun.

Awesome! If I can remember correctly, my ending team in my 2004 run of Colosseum was Espeon, Umbreon, Ampharos, Hariyama, Entei and Suicune. I always actually wanted to write a fanfic where Ardos revives Cipher (he pledged he would do it after being beat in the Orre colosseum) for one final shot at the Shadow Pokemon plan.
My PM Box is always open for those who wish to chat with someone.
Major fan of Magic The Gathering, Sailor Moon and Pokemon
O/O's: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=221869.0

Mathim

Quote from: Dimir on February 02, 2015, 02:20:31 PM
Anyone else besides me enjoyed the two shadow pokemon games for the Gamecube (Colosseum and XD)? Despite the linear format, I highly enjoyed the changes from the regular game, a more outlaw region, actually interesting main character, and some very difficult bosses.

Not Colosseum, no, because the Stadium series and so forth are just about battle with no exploration which is the heart of an RPG. But I did like Gale of Darkness, that one was much more engaging though limited compared to the handhelds' worlds. But the fact that they were able to do it that well means they ought to have been able to do something like that on the N64, a bigger, better one on the GC and even better one on the Wii. They just don't feel like putting the time and effort into it on anything but the handhelds. I would have loved being able to play them in a world that looked more like the anime show, with vibrant colors and more realistic character design.

Plus, those puzzle battles? What a cool concept! Almost like the duel puzzles in Yugioh games. The handhelds would have benefited from those being incorporated, wouldn't they? I mean, the other minigames are kind of lacking, at least in variety.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

SinXAzgard21

Well there is a new mystery dungeon game coming out... Etrian Mystery Dungeon.
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

JoanieSappho

Quote from: Mathim on March 13, 2015, 10:42:31 PM
Not Colosseum, no, because the Stadium series and so forth are just about battle with no exploration which is the heart of an RPG. But I did like Gale of Darkness, that one was much more engaging though limited compared to the handhelds' worlds. But the fact that they were able to do it that well means they ought to have been able to do something like that on the N64, a bigger, better one on the GC and even better one on the Wii. They just don't feel like putting the time and effort into it on anything but the handhelds. I would have loved being able to play them in a world that looked more like the anime show, with vibrant colors and more realistic character design.

Plus, those puzzle battles? What a cool concept! Almost like the duel puzzles in Yugioh games. The handhelds would have benefited from those being incorporated, wouldn't they? I mean, the other minigames are kind of lacking, at least in variety.

But Colosseum was the game that Gale of Darkness was a sequel to, not one of the Stadium games.
Despite the name, Colosseum is very similar to Gale of Darkness in most ways.

Mathim

Quote from: JoanieSappho on March 15, 2015, 02:11:33 PM
But Colosseum was the game that Gale of Darkness was a sequel to, not one of the Stadium games.
Despite the name, Colosseum is very similar to Gale of Darkness in most ways.

So there was more or less an open overworld where you could explore different areas like in the handheld games? You weren't limited to just fighting and no exploration or finding items or capturing Pokemon in the wild, or capturing them from shadow trainers? I'm aware of their connection, I'm simply not familiar with Colosseum being anything but an update to Stadium, but with some semblance of a plot to give the fighting a context.

Mystery Dungeon games just lack...well, anything truly original. I mean, how many different ones are there outside the Poke-verse? More than I can count. Without radical innovation I can't see them being more than a diversion. The Ranger games, on the other hand, way more engaging and challenging, plus exploration isn't tedious because of the ever-changing shapes of the dungeons.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

JoanieSappho

Quote from: Mathim on March 15, 2015, 07:13:18 PM
So there was more or less an open overworld where you could explore different areas like in the handheld games? You weren't limited to just fighting and no exploration or finding items or capturing Pokemon in the wild, or capturing them from shadow trainers? I'm aware of their connection, I'm simply not familiar with Colosseum being anything but an update to Stadium, but with some semblance of a plot to give the fighting a context.

Mystery Dungeon games just lack...well, anything truly original. I mean, how many different ones are there outside the Poke-verse? More than I can count. Without radical innovation I can't see them being more than a diversion. The Ranger games, on the other hand, way more engaging and challenging, plus exploration isn't tedious because of the ever-changing shapes of the dungeons.

Gale of Darkness was a direct sequel to Colosseum. Same area, although some bits were closed off in one game, or not present in the other, and Colosseum didn't have wild pokemon. It still had the shadow pokemon, though, and areas you had to puzzle your way through and items to get and such.

Mathim

Areas of the colosseum? So no towns or other dungeon-y areas, then? Still doesn't sound like the effort was put in that was for Gale of Darkness. Would have been a neat storyline to continue bringing forward to the Wii stuff but Battle Revolution seems like it didn't bother to innovate. At least on the surface, I could be wrong.

JoanieSappho

Quote from: Mathim on March 15, 2015, 08:01:31 PM
Areas of the colosseum? So no towns or other dungeon-y areas, then? Still doesn't sound like the effort was put in that was for Gale of Darkness. Would have been a neat storyline to continue bringing forward to the Wii stuff but Battle Revolution seems like it didn't bother to innovate. At least on the surface, I could be wrong.
No, I mean the areas in Gale of Darkness were, with the exception of the starting lab and the mad scientist's places, in Colosseum.
The Stadium stuff is utterly and entirely unrelated to Colosseum other than both being a pokemon game.

Colosseum is in the same region as XD. It takes place a couple of years before Gale of Darkness, and events and such in Colosseum are referenced and implied throughout Gale of Darkness. Like the difference between Pokemon Black and Black 2.

Mathim

Quote from: JoanieSappho on March 15, 2015, 08:09:55 PM
No, I mean the areas in Gale of Darkness were, with the exception of the starting lab and the mad scientist's places, in Colosseum.
The Stadium stuff is utterly and entirely unrelated to Colosseum other than both being a pokemon game.

Colosseum is in the same region as XD. It takes place a couple of years before Gale of Darkness, and events and such in Colosseum are referenced and implied throughout Gale of Darkness. Like the difference between Pokemon Black and Black 2.

I get that, I'm just saying it would seem by all accounts that despite the similarities, the two games and how they are played seem as different as the standard handheld games are compared to...Pokemon Pinball, for instance. An RPG and a pseudo-RPG are not the same. Them advancing the ideas of Colosseum into something like Gale of Darkness was a great idea, but they never seem to have had the initiative to do that on any other console games so far. If they can make a Zelda spinoff like Hyrule Warriors, surely someone can make a Gale of Darkness style game for the Wii U.