News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Dragon Riders of Pern : Interest Check

Started by SweetSerenade, December 05, 2014, 05:56:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SweetSerenade

Quote from: Angiejuusan on December 05, 2014, 09:51:36 PM
The name is barely important, what IS important is the personality. Which I have firmly in mind and will explain as soon as I build him for this setting. I am allowed to have a doctor that also kicks ass with a sword, right?

There is a harper sub-craft called Dance and Defense... if he was a student to a Master of that for awhile, then he most definitely could kick some ass with a sword.

Though on a side note, Pern generally only uses weapons for Duels of Honor... Of which rarely are needed. As I said, Crime is quite low on Pern. Right now, that is.

Bakemono Shiki RP(Lovely Siggy Layout is thanks to Amaris)

Angie

Quote from: SweetSerenade on December 05, 2014, 10:09:36 PM
There is a harper sub-craft called Dance and Defense... if he was a student to a Master of that for awhile, then he most definitely could kick some ass with a sword.

Though on a side note, Pern generally only uses weapons for Duels of Honor... Of which rarely are needed. As I said, Crime is quite low on Pern. Right now, that is.

I figured he would have learned some kind of fighting style more for the athleticism and self-discipline that comes with it, and less the need to fight. It just so happens that that skill will become incredibly useful....
Avatar is by Lemonfont. Will remove it if he asks me to.

Come check the Cyberpunk Images Thread!

SweetSerenade

Well if you like...Morrag, the brown rider I will be playing - is a Master in the Dance and Defense Craft, and she actually does take students quite often. She will be in her 50's so he could easily have been a student of hers?

Though I might see if someone wnats to adopt her father (Morrin) Who is in his 80s and is a Master Crafstmen as well... XDI also imagined that Morrin was played by House... cause if you harness that kind of physical and mental fortitiude it shows in a fit form *chuckles*

Angie

A distinct possibility, but would Morrag even bother with someone who isn't a rider?

I'm actually having fun, usually Angelo (or whatever he ends up being named) has some kind of supernatural ability, making him straight mundane is quite amusing...

SweetSerenade

Well Riders never take issue with that, and Harpers love to teach. Especially if they get to cross train in another craft. :D

I am going to go make a tentative list of the characters I will be playing, in the first post - in a spoiler. With some basic stats, and I can add anyone elses if they are interested.

Ms Gavane

Hmm, this topic seems to have exploded in a very short period of time. You can count me as interested, and tickled pink at the idea. After finishing the Jaxom's story I had a lot of theories about what would happen to the social and political environment on Pern. I will be keeping all of those thoughts to myself unless specifically asked for them though, because I am aware that this is not my game.

I do have a couple of questions for clarification's sake, but I want to make sure that I ask them in the right place and time.

For now, I would like to have one female character as a journeyman SteamCrafter who is impressed from the stands and becomes something of an issue for her Craft Hall. (If that's not to presumptuous.)

If I go for a second character, it would most likely be an older male craftsman or Holder.

And did I mention, OMG I'm so excited?! I feel like taking a picture of the Pern section of my bookshelf.
O/O

Chrystal

Okay, I am seriously considering making the character of Igen Weyr's masterharper...

And to celebrate her august lineage how does the name Sebintoly sound?

Please check out my latest A/A post.
I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

SweetSerenade

Quote from: Ms Gavane on December 06, 2014, 01:14:42 AM
Hmm, this topic seems to have exploded in a very short period of time. You can count me as interested, and tickled pink at the idea. After finishing the Jaxom's story I had a lot of theories about what would happen to the social and political environment on Pern. I will be keeping all of those thoughts to myself unless specifically asked for them though, because I am aware that this is not my game.

I do have a couple of questions for clarification's sake, but I want to make sure that I ask them in the right place and time.

For now, I would like to have one female character as a journeyman SteamCrafter who is impressed from the stands and becomes something of an issue for her Craft Hall. (If that's not to presumptuous.)

If I go for a second character, it would most likely be an older male craftsman or Holder.

And did I mention, OMG I'm so excited?! I feel like taking a picture of the Pern section of my bookshelf.

You can pm me and the co gm those ideas. But I will be the final say in sociopolitical dictates. You will need to talk in detail with me. Stands impression is not supposed to be common. So you will need to explain your reasoning, and realize there is no promise of a season right away. Some people wait many years before they find their Dragon.

Especially since you wish to play a SteamCrafter, you need to pm me. Those have very specific things.

Quote from: Chrystal on December 06, 2014, 08:27:20 AM
Okay, I am seriously considering making the character of Igen Weyr's masterharper...

And to celebrate her august lineage how does the name Sebintoly sound?

You mean the personal master of that weyr? Lol. We can talk about it is you really want!

Now please post a tentative idea of the characters you would like to play. If you can do more than one, please do so! Pern is fun because of the characters!

Caela

PERN!!! Color me all kinds of interested! I will post character ideas and ask questions once the mini goes to bed and I can get to the computer instead of typing on my phone lol.

Chrystal

Quote from: SweetSerenade on December 06, 2014, 09:29:07 AM
You mean the personal master of that weyr? Lol. We can talk about it is you really want!

Now please post a tentative idea of the characters you would like to play. If you can do more than one, please do so! Pern is fun because of the characters!

Okay two ideas.

Masterharper Sebintolly is the second youngest woman harper to walk the tables of Harper hall and be made a masterharper (The youngest being her great great great x n grandmother Menolly). Sebintolly is currently the only one of her extended family to wear the Harper Blue, although two of her nephews and one niece are due to start as apprentices next turn. She did her journeywomanship at Monaco Bay on Southern before returning to Fort, walking the tables and being appointed as Harper in residence at Igen Weyr.

Sebintolly is one of those who is somewhat skeptical about new technology. Although not an "old-timer" as such, she can see the value in the old ways of doing things. She is, however, one of the few who actually believe that threadfall is again imminent, being an historian as well as a musician. She has seen the signs, seen the red star growing brighter in the heavens again, in a way it has not done for hundreds of turns. She is among those who urge people to prepare...

And

Headwoman Clariol Lilcamp is the head of Igen's lower caverns. At 42 turns old, she has seen practically everything there is to see in a Weyr. She is wise, helpful, knowledgeable. She runs the lower caverns with a will of iron and keeps her drudges working. She is not cruel especially, but she can be a little sadistic at times. She has a wicked sense of humour, and the temper of the the Lilcamps. Woe betide anyone who crosses her, be they drudge, weyrfolk, candidate, weyrling or drigonrider. She has in her time even been known to give a tongue-lashing to the Weyreleader himself!

I'll flesh them out more when we get a character sheet to fill in!

I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

Verasaille

Where are all the guys? Are we girls the only ones who like Pern?
I have gone off in search of myself. If I should get back before I return, please keep me here.

SweetSerenade

Hmmm, both characters seem interesting for this game. Sorry about my absence, I spent the day looking for the right supplies to make stained glass.

Well get on my tablet when I can and go more in detail on things I am starting to work on!

I really see makes interested in Pern, by the way , Vera. I may have to put a cap on female characters soon, unless people make some males lol. I have two I need to dig up. Making my character total six.

Angie

Quote from: Verasaille on December 06, 2014, 06:38:50 PM
Where are all the guys? Are we girls the only ones who like Pern?

Biologically I am Male, so I guess...I count?

Caela

Quote from: Angiejuusan on December 06, 2014, 06:40:58 PM
Biologically I am Male, so I guess...I count?

lol...If writer biology counts then yes, absolutely you count...but if we're looking at all female characters we might have a problem.

I could attempt a male or two, but y'all would be my guinea pigs since men are not my most proficient characters but I'd balance that experiment with a couple of well written female characters. :)

SweetSerenade

I will also have to take into account sexuality of characters. So if people can give me a basic character list with gender(born) and sexuality. That would be awesome

Caela

Initial ideas are a Female rider and Brown dragon, established pair. The Rider to be about 25 turns and the pair to be flying instructors for fresh hatchlings. I know you want the ability to speak to all dragons to be fairly rare but, if allowed, I'd like her to have it as it would make instructing easier when everything wouldn't have to be relayed, but if not then she'll relay everything through her dragon if needed. :)

The other idea is for a Holder's daughter, Impressionable, with an active mind, curiosity, and an eagerness to join a Weyr even if she doesn't impress because of the greater freedoms allowed to women there. She has no desire to simply make an advantageous marriage for her Hold and as a fascination with Dragonriders.

Both would be straight females.

Obviously very broad strokes that would need a lot of filling in, but just a couple of thoughts. :D

Angie

SweetSerenade

Caela would you mind PM me and the CO-GM and possibly make your case? I would like if such abilities were worked out witht he GMs, so that it makes it fair for anyone trying. YOu are right it would make it easier to deal with Weyrlings. Though I should probably state that she would likely be a Weyrlingmaster Assistant, because I already have an NPC (able to be adopted) Lined up for the Weyrlingmaster whom is a Bronze rider named M'lan.

Holder's daughter, as in a Lord Holder? We do not restrict these, but it would probably be best till I can get the list of Lords/Ladies and number of Offspring male/female ratios written up?

Though I need to make it clear, that as per this games rules - a Female Brown Rider will not be Heterosexual. Browns will impress to Pan, Bi and Lesbian Women... ^^ Horribly sorry if that puts a cinch in your plan for the Brown rider.

Angie - you mean a Male Healer? Which kind? Journeyman or Master?

So as it stands we have

Lunesta - Female - Demisexual
Morrag - Female - Pansexual - Dragon Rider Brown
Morrigan - Female - Assumed Asexual
Trinnis - Female - Heterosexual

A'bane - Male - Heterosexual - Dragon Rider Bronze
Beton - Male - Bisexual with Heterosexual Tendencies - Wher Handler (Blue)
Nixiel - Male - Asexual but Heteromantic - Journeyman SteamCrafter Stationed at Igen Weyr to overlook their 'Caravan' Station.
C'las - Male - Heterosexual - Dragon Rider Blue

I am going to be making 8 characters to help beef things up and give us a nice group of characters to interact with.

I need to get a full balance of Genders and Sexualities... but my brain is running with learning code to start getting things ready for the Wiki info for this... XD

Caela

Quote from: SweetSerenade on December 05, 2014, 06:48:36 PM

Impression Sets

Gold - Heterosexual Leadership Quality Women Only - This means Physical sex, not mental gender.
Bronze - Heterosexual Leadership Quality Men Only - This means physical sex, not mental gender.
Brown - Heterosexual/Bisexual/Pansexual Very Rarely Gay Leadership - Steady Fast - Reliable Riders only. Male or female, born or identifying.
Blue - Bisexual/Pansexual/Gay Male or Female - Creative individuals - Good at judging people. Male or Female, born or Identifying.

Green - Gay/Pansexual/Heterosexual(Females, Born) - Pretty much just about anyone can impress a Green... nuff said.
White - They generally either pick Demisexual, or Asexual Riders. Though any sexuality has imrpessed them through our current game history. As a note, only 1 out of every 10 whites is a female. Females are very rare in Pern, and this is the statistics of Whites taht survive Weyrlinghood. Given their fragile nature most do not make it through Weyrling hood, even though all eggs are Hatch'Helped by Ancestral Order of Ruth and Jaxom.

Reading this made it seem, to me, that Browns pretty much accepted any sexuality and that it was Blues who were more preferential toward Bi/Pan/and Homosexuals of either sex, but I have no problem switching her dragon color or her being an Assistant. Though I do have to ask, for clarification, does that pretty much limit a straight woman to a Gold an Green? Like to know that I am reading things properly. :) And I can totally PM you guys about the possibility of her being able to speak to dragons, but honestly, until I flesh her out a bit the only reason for it would be that I was thinking it might be the very reason she got assigned to train Weyrlings in the first place. 

I didn't realized you already had an NPC for the Weyrlingmaster but as I said, all of that was just broad strokes that needed a LOT of fleshing out and tweaking.

As for the Holder's daughter, yes, I was thinking a Lord Holder's girl, probably of a minor Hold, though if you wanted one from a Major Hold just for the added story drama I could do that too.

Chrystal

I should probably pointy out that my characters are almost always homosexual female.

Sweet, don't worry about the code, just send me the data and some notes about how you want it formatted and I'll code it.

SweetSerenade

I am REALLY REALLY sorry Caela that was worded WAY wrong. Basically they RARELY impress to Heterosexual Females. BUT with the right convincing and talking to me and Chrystal I am sure we can arrange it. Basically they primarily impress Heterosexual/Bi/Pan Men and very rarely Gay men - and they impress Bi/Pan/Gay and very rarely heterosexual women. That is my fault, and I will try to do better in the future.

But yes, I would love to have more riders, though RIGHT Now females that are heterosexual are only garunteed a bonding to Green or Gold (IF They get that, that is). You can talk with me and Chrystal about the Assistant, as a PLayer Assistant is always useful. I only say assistant because of her age. Generally Weyrlingmasters do not get their own groups to train till they have been a rider at least 15 years, so in this instance 31 would be the age she would need to be. This is because we have moved Impression Ages as a standing candidate to be 16-21, To fit the TOS of the site. :D

Caela

Sweet, it's nothing to apologize for, you're working on organizing a LOT of info and trying to get character information from possible players as well. I will PM you and Chrystal with a very rough CS (it's easier to organize my thoughts on a character initially with the breakdown of a CS) and talk to you both about her. :)

The age limits make total sense.

Thanks for the clarifications!

Angie

Yes, I meant Healer. I just usually say "Doctor" cause I've been doing a lot of modern games lately. He'll likely specialize in either Surgery or Trauma Healing.

Chrystal

And you will need to read up on Numbweed, Fellis juice, treating threadscore, etc...

Angie

Well, I already read through the herbs of Middle Earth with great interest (thanks Shadow of Mordor), so this will be fun!