Exalted: Brotherhood of the Dragons

Started by ReijiTabibito, January 16, 2010, 12:10:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReijiTabibito

Exalted: Brotherhood of the Dragons

In this, the volatile Second Age of Creation, forces innumerable are at work.  The high-handed and overbearing tactics of the Realm, the subtle machinations of the Sidereal caste, the economic power of the Guild, and the Oblivion-seeking servants of the Neverborn are just a few.

To top it all off, the recent return of the Solar and Lunar Exalted has caused quite a stir amongst the chosen of Creation’s Gods – and the disappearance of the Scarlet Empress, the force holding together the Realm, have made this a time of change.  A time of heroes.  A time of villains.

A time for the birth of legends, great and small.

This is an Exalted campaign, focusing on one particular group of Exalts – the Terrestrial Exalted of the city-state of Lookshy, the former Seventh Legion of the Shogunate.  The setup goes as follows:

Character Types: Terrestrial Exalts only.  However, you have the option of playing as a Lookshy Terrestrial, or as a Terrestrial defecting to Lookshy from the Realm.  Character Creation guidelines will be detailed below.

Lookshy Terrestrials: As per standard creation within the Dragon-Blooded Manual of Exalted Power.

Realm Defectors: Ability dots and Charms must be selected as a Dynast.  Background as from Lookshy, with the exception of the Breeding background, which is treated as Dynastic for purpose of bonus points.

Merits & Flaws from Scroll of Heroes are welcome, with a limit of either 15 points gained from Flaws, or 4 Flaws total (Merits do not suffer either limit).

Families: you may play one of the Eleven Houses (if you are a Dynast defector), or one of the five Gentes (if you’re from Lookshy), or you may create your own minor family.

Custom Artifacts & Hearthstones are welcome, but must be first approved by the GM.

Alterations from standard Exalted.

First, I am handing out free levels of Breeding for all players, up to level 4.  You can take less, but Breeding 4 is the maximum I will hand out – anything higher would require bonus point expenditure.

Essence Formula Changes:
Personal Essence formula (Essence+Willpower+Breeding) remains the same.  There is, however, a new Peripheral Essence formula, which goes as follows:

[Essence*4] + Willpower + Breeding + [Sum of all Virtues]

Combo Changes:
Normally, developing combos is expensive, and has little benefit.  I’ve changed the rules for developing combos to the following.

XP Cost of Combos:  Dependent on either the Ability or Essence minimum of the Charm used, whichever is higher.  Essence/Ability 1 to 3: 1 XP.  4 or 5: 2 XP.  Example:  A Charm combo consisting of the First Melee Excellency (requires Melee 1, Essence 1) and the Melee Charm Dragon-Graced Weapon (requires Melee 2, Essence 2) would cost 2 XP to develop.

Essence cost of Combos:  The Essence cost of a combo has been reduced.  It is now the combined motes of Essence needed to fuel the combo, divided by 2.  So, for the Combo example above, the combo cost would be either ranging from 1 mote (1 mote used in Excellency, 1 mote for Dragon-Graced Weapon, divided by 2) to 3 motes (5 motes Excellency, 1 mote Dragon-Graced Weapon, divide by 2).

Willpower cost of Combos: Typically, activating a combo costs 1 Willpower, always.  I am changing the conditions to when a Willpower must be spent to activate a Combo.  Combos only need a Willpower for activation whenever the Combo in question costs 4 or more XP to make.

PM me, or post here if you’re interested.  See you out there!

ultlifeform

I'm in! Character's good to go. Soon as I think up a motivation... Air aspected... I throw stuff...
"Keep shooting yourself in the head, it's the only way to let the demons out."

Chimerelf

In!

I've already made a Wood Aspect archer.

Come on, let's get a bunch of players!  :-)
-- Chimerelf

Pumpkin Seeds

Hikari

I'd like to play.  I could throw together an Air or Fire aspect depending on what other people want to play.
The wait is over,
I'm now taking over
You're no longer laughing
I'm not drowning fast enough

-The Strokes, Reptilia

ReijiTabibito

You're all welcome, of course!  Feel free to play whatever you like.

Pumpkin Seeds

Would Earth be ok?  Thinking like an earth aspect, sergeant type or something similiar.

ReijiTabibito

Absolutely Earth is okay!  I don't think we have an Earth yet, so you'd be the first!

Pumpkin Seeds

Katina Tarask

Um... I have the Exalted core books, but I've never played it.  1) Is that enough material to join in, or am I missing some essential supplement?  2) Is it alright for a total Exalted newbie to join in?  I may need someone to hold my hand through this.  (A volunteer over IMs would be appreciated.)

ReijiTabibito

Newbies are completely fine.  The only books you absolutely need to have are the following:

1. Exalted Core Rulebook
2. Manual of Exalted Power: Dragon-Blooded

The following books are not essential, but recommended.

1. Scroll of Heroes
2. Scrolls of Esoteric Wisdom - Scroll of the Monk
3. Books of Sorcery, Volume 1 - Wonders of the Lost Age
4. Books of Sorcery, Volume 2 - Oadenol's Codex

And these are just for info and such.

1. Compass of Terrestrial Directions, Volume 1 - The Scavenger Lands
2. Compass of Terrestrial Directions, Volume 3 - The East

If you have AIM, PM me, and I can help you through the character creation process.

ReijiTabibito

I'll try and answer your questions as best I can.

1.  I have no idea what you mean - if you mean sexually, this would probably go in the Light: Exotic Small Groups portion of E - as I see it, this is Exalted, with sex at the discretion of the players, and not mandated by myself.

2.  A bit of travel would be needed within this game.  In my head, Lookshy would serve, more or less, as one of the character's bases of operations (along with the PC manses), and certainly the largest.  The game is not Lookshy-centric, but it is eastern-centric - meaning you wouldn't have to travel across half of Creation to get where you need to go, but if you wanted to do your own thing, you could.

3.  Not at all, if you can find some way to work in Lookshy from behind the scenes, I'm all for it - it'd give me a chance to work with a few more NPCs and explore a couple potential plot lines in Lookshy.

4.  That depends on you.  If you stay in Lookshy the whole game, the odds would be close to nil.  If you go out and travel, however, your odds increase - and the more you travel, the more chance you have of finding one.  So, on a scale of 1-10, with 1 being 'no chance' and 10 being 'absolutely', I'd rate it as such.  Stay in Lookshy the whole time: 2.  Go out and travel: 4-6 (particularly if you regularly visit the area around Nexus and Great Forks).

Couple of quick notes from me.

We currently have an Air, a Wood, and two Earth Aspects.  Meaning we're lacking Fire and Water Aspects, and I would like to have a full brotherhood (I can send a couple NPCs with the party to fill in the gaps, but I'd prefer to keep that to a minimum).

Second, I want to hear from you guys.  Where would you like to go?  What would you like to do?  I have my own ideas for an overarching plot line, but games need subplots too - and you guys are the best people I can think to ask.  PM me, or jump on AIM to talk.

All for now. 

ReijiTabibito

Right.  Forgot to clarify that.  Reflexive Charms (such as the three general Excellencies) do not need to be included in a combo in order to be used alongside another.  However, if one wants to make a Combo including a Reflexive Charm, then the Essence mote discount would apply.

Said another way:

Reflexive Charms do not need a Combo to be activated with other Charms on a given action.

Reflexive Charms, if in a Combo, would be subject to the Essence discount.

Hope that makes sense.

I've found the Wood-Aspect anima banner - it's in the Dragon-Blood Book.  I think that's everything, for now.

ReijiTabibito

No, there is no limit.  I already have one character with Manse 5, though Artifact 5 may or may not be prohibitively expensive in terms of attunement costs.

And my thought was that the group met each other for an assignment...though I could certainly see some of the group at least knowing OF some of the other PCs.

Terian

Yeah, I've got a concept for this (Nod Nod), here's hoping it all works out then.

Loose rundown, Karal Amaya, Fire Aspected young soldier and the daughter of a Big Damn Hero of a recent affair.  Strong of blood, exceedingly idealistic, and one of the top young soldiers of her generation in close combat and skirmishing techniques.  It's little wonder she's got some manner of attention from the higher ups, despite still being a tiny bit wet behind the ears.

ReijiTabibito

This would actually work out pretty well.  Amaya (and her concept) would be most welcome in the game.  PM me, or more preferably, jump on AIM (if you've got it) and talk to me, so that we can work things out if you want.

Katina Tarask

I vote against the tight-knit group.  My character is going to be rather brusque, and folks being used to her would just be no fun.

The Great Triangle

Dynastics are allowed, but can we play defecting immaculate monks?  (possibly training in some forbidden celestial martial art after leaving the immaculate order because of the corruption of the realm)  I'm thinking of playing a water caste celestial martial artist with immaculate enlightenment charms.

As for styles, can I play an immaculate training in Violet Bier of Sorrows?  (assuming I take mentor 4 or 5 to represent a bronze faction toady training my character) 

And if not Violet Bier (which, I must remind you, is the most brokentastic of all martial arts), how about Tiger Style?   
Meow!  I'm a kitty; made of fire.

Ons and Offs

ReijiTabibito

Absolutely Ex-Immaculates are allowed.  I'm in talks with another player right now about being an Ex-Immaculate.

And I wouldn't mind you learning Violet Bier of Sorrows (and you wouldn't necessarily need a Bronze faction mentor, you could take a Gold or Independent faction), but in my head, a few things are quite clear.

Thing 1: All Immaculates start out learning one of the Immaculate styles (typically the one associated with their aspect), and they get huge penalties for trying to learn Martial Arts styles that aren't their Immaculate one until said Immaculate style is completed.

Thing 2: I don't know if you read the Sidereal book, but although Violet Bier of Sorrows can *theoretically* be taught to Immaculates (which is even shown in one of the inter-chapter comics), it is an *enormous* offense to teach it to non-Sidereals, and Gods of less than Essence 4 in the Bureau of Destiny...so I personally think that one would be out.  Tiger Style would be good, though.

The Great Triangle

Yup, I'm quite aware what an offense teaching the style is, hence why I'd put so many dots into mentor to cover being the secret weapon of a possibly slightly deranged sidereal.   (if neccesary, I could also pump ally and such, of course)

Although if you're requiring celestial martial artist characters to start with an immaculate style, then I'll likely play a different concept  (since by the rules, it's actually impossible to switch what celestial martial art you're learning before mastering it.)

Would an captain or commodore in the Lookshy Navy be an appropriate character concept for this game?  On a related note, could I take the legendary artifact background to take command of a Kireeki class assault skyreme?  (almost certainly with only a partial complement of weapons)

I'd also be interested in playing a sorcerer interested in industrializing Lookshy using imported Omen Weather Engines.  (probably Wood caste)

Ons and Offs

ReijiTabibito

RE: The Sidereal Sifu - I see.  Well, we can discuss that as we go.  And if you really want to, you could take that as a Dark Secret - the offense of learning the style, should the secret come out, would target you and your teacher, if not for death, then for horrible things.

RE: Celestial Martial Artist Characters - well, it's not that I require it, it's that it's what I though was the norm.  If it's not, then I don't have a problem with you not starting with an Immaculate style (though I still think Tiger Style would be more reasonable than Violet Bier, but we could discuss that)

RE: Captain/Commodore - most certainly.  And there's a Legendary Artifact Background?  Where is it?  And why have I not heard of it...

The Great Triangle

Actually, the legendary artifact background is an old 1E merit that I accidentally thought was included in scroll of heroes!  Silly me! 

Tiger Style martial artist, particularly with Sidereal (or possibly lunar) sifu appeals to me, although I also really like the idea of playing a Sorcerer.  Is anyone talking about playing a sorcerer yet?  And if I play a sorcerer, can I begin with a silver key to open portals to Malfeas and Malfean artifacts?  (I'm interested in playing a character who does things like set up automated prayer/ritual/sacrifice factories to the gods to gain their favor, and tries to put up Neomah towers all over Lookshy to service the needs of the Seventh Legion)

Ons and Offs

ReijiTabibito

RE: Legendary Artifact - Oh.

RE: Sorcerer - no one has explicitly stated YET that they're going to play one...and what rating is a Silver key, exactly?  And I'm not sure if Lookshy would appreciate a bunch of demons (even if they are only First Circle) being summoned to help with their needs and such.

RE: Tiger Style Martial Artist - I am most in favor of this idea, because I'm trying to get one of each Elemental Aspect into this game without relying on NPCs to fill the gap.  To put it another way, as long as I can have 1 Water Aspect (Martial Artist or no, though Water makes most sense for that Aspect), I'm not picky about what people play.

RE: Kireeki Class Skyreme - is this in Wonders of the Lost Age?  I might give it to the party after a number of stories (probably near the end of the campaign, though).

The Great Triangle

Demon summoning can probably be kept to a managable level, though owning an infernally aspected manse might be able to excuse a bit more excess when it comes to indulging some of the darker paths of sorcery.  (as might being from the realm, since Realm sorcerers are famous for being surrounded by a retinue of demons)

Silver Keys are a two to four dot relic; they open a portal to hell by inserting them into a door and turning the key, and tend to be mass produced in Malfeas to lure mortals to their doom.  The Ebon Dragon likes to give them out as party favors.  A two dot key only works in a particular city or opens into Cecylene, a three dot key only works when a specific condition is met, like it being night or the door bearing the name of a yozi, and a four dot key works anywhere, any time.  Keys to the Infernal gates don't provide passage back from Malfeas to creation, though escape from hell can be reasonably easy to manage for a sufficiently prepared individual, particularly with Infernal Prayer Strips.  (for a lookshyan, Chalcanth and Vitriol made from summoned demons would likely be the best way of buying one's way through an out of hell)

The main things on a sorcerer character's shopping list from the Infernal realms:

-Collapsable Palanquins (Basically folding boats, but with the concept applied to a wide variety of demon powered vehicles)
-Infernal Essence Taps (with the help of a Silver Key, these devices can provide a short term supply of energy for hearthstone powered devices, and even allow very formidable mounted emplacements if one manages to fill out the forms to have a stable open portal to Malfeas)
-Infernal Prayer Strips  (these things are expensive in many ways, but they enable a limited replication of solar circle sorcery)
-Omen Weather Engines (High efficiency engines powered by the interplay between a bound demon and creation itself.  They drip blood and frogs everywhere, but are otherwise perpetual motion machines)

As for a plausable explanation for my character's eccentricities, she could be trying to arrange for hellstriders to be used by the Lookshy military.  (they did go and take the Lover's hellstrider after all, so if the Legion could get past their disgust, and develop efficient abassaic binding procedures to keep the machines from going berserk, they could quickly become one of the most militarily powerful factions in creation)

Ons and Offs

ReijiTabibito

This all sounds fairly good and such...if it weren't for the fact that the words 'demons' and 'Malfeas' and 'Ebon Dragon' and 'Yozis' provoke much the same response in me as it did in Lookshy - creepiness and disgust.  I realize that may just be my OWoD experience leeching through, where Malfeas was considered the realm of all the things that wanted to reduce the world to nothingness, but it still creeps me out a little.

One question to ask you, though: are you still willing to play either of your Water-Aspected ideas (the Lookshy captain or Ex-Immaculate learning Tiger Style)?  I'm not going to insist upon them heavily, especially if I can get the other player to go the Ex-Immaculate route, but I would like to have some assurance.