Nephilim's Requiem: The Game

Started by ZK, June 21, 2007, 11:09:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZK

Hey all, I'm simply curious if this would gain any attention at all. It wouldn't or would happen in the city of Lyran [where the story is] or not. It'd use BESM 3rd Edition or so rules to allow combat to have some sort of progression. It'd star with three races, Humans, Byts and Nephilims [Awakened]. The setting would be the same as the story, a cyber/bio-punk setting under a totalitarian based government to help regulate life.

The players could have worked within one of the divisions of the government and found faults within it and set up a resistance.

As well, various other things do happen in the series that would happen within this game too. The awakening of the Nephilims and the granted "life" of the Byts to give players a choice as to play something else other then a human and not be a mindless machine.

Any takers? Questions?
On's/Off's --- Game Reviews

"Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may judge what is sane."

kongming

*raises hand shyly*

Just one question. How much setting info do we need? Cuz... I know absolutely nothing. As in, not even what Nephilim's Requiem is.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.

Ons/Offs:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=9536.msg338515

ZK

I'll be providing all the information on that accord that you need. Seeing as I am the author of the series. ^.^

"Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may judge what is sane."

kongming

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.

Ons/Offs:

Creeper

You may count me in as well!

Perhaps our good friend Jimmy Fingers will make a return?
Ons and Offs, yo: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=4370.0

Too tired to post Wednesday night. Posts on Thursday!

Muse

ZK, you have my attention.  :)  Please, tell us more. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

ZK

I've decided to host it in the city of Kibou, basically much like Lyran but in a far more advance state of decay. It is also owned by Rokujou Inc. and is located somewhere near where Kyoto Japan would be. It is far more a dystopia city then Lyran is, so punishment and authority is even more harsh. There are also far more crime and is home of multiple criminal organizations merged together to form one authority about, often paying off Rokujou Inc.' military business and even buying some of their aid to hold their grounds. The south-east quadrant was completely sealed off from the rest of the city due to a dangerous viral outbreak from the harsh realities of the outside world through an "accidental" leakage. The part of the city still has life, but it is usually made as a means of a prison for criminals and a fertile crescent of other dastardly deeds that would make the staunch citizens flinch in disgust.

The city is based more in an compass shape [eight points] over the cross design of Lyran. It isn't as large as Lyran is in width based on points, but it makes up with the multi-layers going to a surprising eight layers. Four above level, four underneath. The four underground are used primarily as industrial means and low rent, low priority homes for those who are poor.

Being another city owned by Rokujou Inc., it as well has introduced Nephilims within the system to go around with Byts. Only the military, private business above ground, wealthy and a few lucky individuals who came across one, actually owns a Nephilim.

Although the city is owned by the corporation, it still allows it to police itself with independent detective agencies and police forces as a part of a social experiment as well, is a bit more lenient of having children then Lyran [Lyran is primarily based on gene augmentation from two parents and born in a Symbiosis Womb Machina instead of actual conception between two adults.] given they have the proper authorization for child birth and ability to keep the child up. Accidents do happen although as they forgo the "serum" to keep them from being able to copulate and usually ends up with a heavy fine and the child is taken away and sent to a foster parent [although a few turn up missing within the seams and never heard from again].

Kibou as well has an active resistance as it seems the resistance against the corporation is multi-city based and have not been exterminated. Although the resistance have been nearly destroyed multiple times, it seems to come back just as strong as it was before.

Kibou is also a multi-ethnic based city, keeping to not just the Japanese, but immigrants from various other nations live there, boosting the languages required to two primaries. Japanese and English and thousands of other dialects and tongues from various other ethnicities.

As well, the Awakening although having started in Lyran has also happened here in Kibou. The "self aware" business between the Byt and Nephilim beings are kept more hushed and dealt with quickly with the detective force owned by the Rokujou Inc. to keep it on the down-low to keep from wide-spread panic that masses "play things and basically slaves" now have a free will of their own and often react violently to a harsh owner who used them merely as tools. A small portion of Nephilims and Byts work actively with the resistance against the city, often posing as mindless automotrons before going about their rounds and causing mayhem.

These various plot-hooks and other tidbits offers a lot for players to go with. I hope this helps with various other questions as to where the story and such takes place. It may not be in Lyran and does not possess SPE#3318, but it does give enough significance as the city finds life of it's own.

Creeper

Eeeeexcellent. I thinking of Re-inventing Jimmy Fingers as a sort of mobster (yakuza, whatever the crime family happens to be) lawyer, with a soft spot for broken or discarded Byts.
Is there at least the appearance of law, or is it a total fascist goverment type setting?

Creeper

Also: what power level are you using, if you're going with BESM third edition.

Edit: And any Genre skill set?

kongming

Quote from: Creeper on June 21, 2007, 10:52:42 PM
Also: what power level are you using

IT'S OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND!

Ons/Offs:

Creeper

WHAT NINETHOUSAND?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!

And shouldn't you be using splash attack?!

ZK

Haven't determined the numerical points yet, either it'll be 295 to 350. Somewhere within that area. As some attributes are not allowed [with specific types, for example, homo-psyches don't exist in regular humans]. But it will be using the Cyber/Bio-Punk Skill Set.

MagicalPen

*eagerly awaits character creation*

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Looking/Available for New Games

ZK

Since humans will basically be humans while Byts will be human-like, but obviously machines. And Nephilims will be human-like, but obviously a different species of sapien all together.

For example, Byts can sustain damage better and can be "Reincarnated" as their information can be copied and installed into another Byt and Nephilims have minor regeneration and a few other nifty abilities.

Humans although are allowed to have Sixth Sense and some other things. As well, reason to play human? More points and easier to access places Byts and Nephilims cannot.

Ryvaken

Um, I'm interested...but I don't know the system. I used to, but it's been years and all my resources seem to have vanished. Are you still looking for players and/or can help with that glitch in my interest?
In creativity, meaning.

ZK

Muse

All right, I'd still like to know more about Nephlim, but could I perhaps play a human guy with some advanced cybertech in the style of the the Cyberpunk RPG.  Sleek, stylish, with all kinds of gadgets built into your arms and eyes and such? 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

ZK

Cybernetics are generally frowned upon in Nephilim, bioware is what is in the "in thing" when it comes to alteration, but it isn't a "hard" cyberpunk/biopunk setting like Shadowrun or Cyberpunk. Both are highly restricted in the cities albeit those who work for the Rokujou Inc. But it's highly unlikely for someone to get any enhancements otherwise, unless you're rather wealthy or go based on black market for sales. Now, for personal weaponry and such, it's much easier to obtain then hard body modifications.

N.R. is a mixture of Post Apoc and Biopunk. Mainly it's quite a bit after the fall and humanity has started rebuilding itself. Basically, take Fallout, but the majority of everyone lives in one of the Vaults. Body modification isn't needed, but enough weapons to fry something with a laser gun is.

Ryvaken

I like body modification. How far from the human baseline can a character reasonably go?
In creativity, meaning.

ZK

Body modification as I said usually goes for those of a military or police force. Think of I, Robot type bit of replacement parts. As for "body mods" as I said, it's generally frowned upon unnecessarily adjustments. As for other things, they tend to use Byts and Combat Enhanced Nephilims to do it.

Remember, there are three primary playable races.

Humans, Byts [Androids basically.] and Nephilims [Take humans and bump them up a notch with special abilities and such]

In other words, you must have a damn good reason to get body augmentation on the cyber-level. And for combative/illegal Bioware.

Ryvaken

What kind of special abilities can a Nephilim have? What kind of bioware is possible for a human to get his hands on, and don't think about probable when you answer that question; I'm not going to let a literaturical challenge like "a damn good reason" stand between me and something interesting. At the very least amputations, genetic defects, and rich friends can make for a framework of such a rationale. I want to get a feel for what is possible before I decide on what I want. I tend towards strange characters with secrets, so something like Alternate Form attribute as a way to hide abilities IC would work very, very well for me.
In creativity, meaning.

ZK

There would be no need for Alternate form as none of the modifications are obvious unless purposely done that way. A lot of Attributes are not allowed in this game, as it is more gritty then I can shoot energy beams out of my eyes and launch a rocket out of my arm. Body Modification is down low, as nearly no one does it, as I said, without a good reason.

Humans are well, primarily humans. Byts come in different models with different abilities from combat advantages [like say, weapon in your body to ingrained night vision and stealth] whilst Nephilims are basically living bioware. As they're able to regenerate wounds, have quicker reflexes and are able to use Low Level Psionics. While as for humans, they're primarily that. Humans. Reliant upon their own native abilities, Items and Weapons.

Weaponized body modifications for humans are restricted to military usage and are highly illegal for anyone else to have. They can be bought on the black market for quite a lot of money, but it's rarely done. The only real benefits you can get from body modifications from a regular standpoint is a nice replacement part with more strength, resilience and cannot break as easy as your human body one can. If you want to go about with fake arms and legs and say be a martial artist, you can.

As for strange characters, try being a Nephilim. They're already Marked -3 and have an Ism against them for being "different" from a general society stand-point. Many awakened Nephilims either try to hide their identity, try to be human or revel in their other-worldliness.

In a simple response. Humanity is near extinct, why would you want to go away from your humanity by modifying your body to be more -alien- to the structure of humanity?

Muse

I'm looking at the idea of some rich man's personal Nephlim, custom tailored to be a submissive slave girl and bodyguard (or even special agent) who upon awakening leaves him to join the rebellion but is still possessed of submissive tendencies and wishes to find a human (either gender) of worthy character to serve. 

Ryvaken

Quote from: Z.K. on June 23, 2007, 11:47:07 AMIn a simple response. Humanity is near extinct, why would you want to go away from your humanity by modifying your body to be more -alien- to the structure of humanity?
In a simple answer, because humanity is a state of the mind, not the body. Because that state of mind is predicated on the ability to adapt, to survive, to invent and use tools in any situation. Because pragmatism says that if something can be made better, then it should be made better.

But, you've got my brain skipping gears. A lot of my interest in this game is dead, but there are a few synapses adding to a different concept. How's nanotechnology and cybernetics in this world?
In creativity, meaning.

ZK

Hence why humans do not copulate, are grown in vats and are regulated by the Corporation. Aside from Kibou in a primary, as it is giving an experiment as to allowing copulation between humans. [Sex is not outlawed per-se, but copulation is].

Nano-technology is in the high, as it's used to produce "citizens", to augment genetics on a direct thread to produce Nephilims and to make bioware so readily available, making transplants a thing of the past [unless it was of a really rare blood-type].

As for cybernetics, they're mainly used as usable prosthetics to replace irreplaceable limbs and bone structures in the body. Military applications do exist, but usually on those who were damaged in combat, who really wish to keep fighting and do sign the notice that they will no longer be considered "free" as they have weaponized gear hardwired into their bodies.