News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Deception: Murdered in Hong Kong Game Thread

Started by Galactic Druid, January 04, 2016, 10:59:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madame Professor

Now would be a great time for someone with a clue to come save us. :-(
The Professor's Research Notes (O/O)  Locked away in the Laboratory (A/A) 
Not currently available for new roleplays
Procaffeinating: (verb) The tendency to not start anything until you've had a cup of coffee.
Perkatory: (noun) The anguished, prolonged period spent waiting for a fresh pot of coffee to be ready.

Strangefate

I'd say Folding Chair/Dictionary over Trophy/Numbers as Folding Chair fits Cafeteria and Dictionary fits Written and Student.  Or did somebody guess that?  I've lost track.  Trophy/Bank Note could also make sense with Assembly and Student for Trophy and Cafeteria and Written for Bank Note.
A/A/Misc
On/Offs

"Vanitas Vanitatum!  Which of us is happy in this world?  Which of us has his desire?  or, having it, is satisfied?" - George Makepeace Thackeray, Vanity Fair

yugi006

There is also the action clue which could make Push something to consider. I already guessed Push and Numbers so maybe it could be Push and something else.

Remiel

There is one other outside possibility, that it could be BAMF's Bite and Tear / Comics, but it's a huge stretch. 

Madame Professor

Hmmm, really? I'm curious... what's your thinking for that combo, Remi?
The Professor's Research Notes (O/O)  Locked away in the Laboratory (A/A) 
Not currently available for new roleplays
Procaffeinating: (verb) The tendency to not start anything until you've had a cup of coffee.
Perkatory: (noun) The anguished, prolonged period spent waiting for a fresh pot of coffee to be ready.

Remiel

Quote from: Madame Professor on February 01, 2016, 10:48:25 PM
Hmmm, really? I'm curious... what's your thinking for that combo, Remi?

Well, the Bite and Tear would fit the Severe Injury, Cafeteria, and Action clues, while the Comics would fit the Written, Blank, and Student clues (also, Action Comics?)  I dunno.  I feel like the Cafeteria was the strongest clue (or, at least, it was supposed to be, as the FS has several location boards to choose from) so that's where we should be focusing our efforts most of all.

Galactic Druid

Quote from: Strangefate on February 01, 2016, 10:35:49 PM
I'd say Folding Chair/Dictionary over Trophy/Numbers as Folding Chair fits Cafeteria and Dictionary fits Written and Student.  Or did somebody guess that?  I've lost track.  Trophy/Bank Note could also make sense with Assembly and Student for Trophy and Cafeteria and Written for Bank Note.

I'll be honest, I'm always torn about providing that much info on the front page. My goal when I run these is to simulate the tabletop as best I can, which would mean letting players remember for themselves, but at on the opposite end of that, you guys can always just go back and reread posts anyways. I guess I'll stick with what I've started before for the last of the round, and take suggestions for what players would like to see improved before the next time I run it.
A/As last updated 11/27 - Halfway past busy season!

yugi006

Quote from: Remiel on February 01, 2016, 10:43:50 PM
There is one other outside possibility, that it could be BAMF's Bite and Tear / Comics, but it's a huge stretch.

I actually considered that but the Cafeteria is not helping with this at all.

Galactic Druid

You guys get a little bonus time, I just got home after running my game group, and am exhausted. Tuesday's are crazy for my, I leave the house at 5:30 am and get home at 11pm. Anyway, I'll post results tomorrow, so those who haven't voted yet have a little less than a bonus 24 hours.

Remiel

Well, James, considering the fact that BAMF and Assassini are AWOL, I'd say you're our last hope.

Verasaille

Well, I can't guess, so I might be able to do some more logic.

Lets see, Have we got anymore off the wall possibilities?

Everything I look at has already been guessed, including all of mine...I give up!
I have gone off in search of myself. If I should get back before I return, please keep me here.

Galactic Druid

Final Deadline is this evening. If there's no more votes by 8PM, someone gets away with murder!

RedPhoenix

Lousy murderers.  :(

Unfortunately I have said all I can. I just hope someone yet to guess is smarter than me!
Apologies & Absences | Ons & Offs
I move the stars for no one.

Assassini

*Distant voices heard*

Look for my coming at first light of the fifth day... At dawn... Look to the east...

*horns sounds*

*riders appear*

A'right chums, time's up. Let's DO THIS!

(Incidentally, there won't be any listing from me, I'm basing everything I know off of some previous posts I have hidden below!)

Pheonix's list
Quote from: RedPhoenix on January 25, 2016, 07:38:27 PM
Cause of Death- Suffocation, Severe Injury, Loss of Blood, Illness/Disease, Poisoning, Accident

The FS has chosen: Severe Injury.

Location of Crime - Playground, Classroom, Dormitory, Cafeteria, Elevator, Toilet

The FS has chosen Cafeteria.

Evidence Left Behind - Natural, Artistic, Written, Synthetic, Personal, Unrelated

The FS has chosen Written.

Noticed By Bystander - Sudden Sound, Prolonged Sound, Smell, Visual, Action, Nothing

The FS has chosen Action.

In Progress - Entertainment, Relaxation, Assembly, Trading, Visit, Dining

The FS has chosen Assembly.

Okay going through the clues...

Yugi
Means
Powder Drug - Clearly out, Poisoning, Illness/Disease, Accident.
Metal Wire - Possible, fits Severe Injury and Action
Pillow - Clearly out, Suffocation.
Sculpture - Possible, fits Severe Injury, Action

Key Evidence
Pocket Watch - Not specifically ruled out, but fits nothing
Surveillance Camera - Not specifically ruled out, but fits nothing
Exam Paper - Clearly Out, Classroom
Hourglass - Not specifically ruled out, but fits nothing

You have to squint really really hard to see a case against Yugi here. Still don't think it's him, but I suppose there are a few remote options hovering around in there. Still it would have to be a series of clues that our FS hasn't been able to actually suggest and I just don't see that.

Strangefate
Means
Poisonous Gas - Clearly out, Poisoning
Scarf - Clearly out, Suffocation
Electric Current - Clearly out, I think it is some combination of Accident or Sudden Sound or something to that effect if this is the means
Plastic Bag - Clearly out, Suffocation

Key Evidence
Test Tube - Clearly out, Classroom
Iron - Possible, could fit in any room and fits with Action
Maze -Not Ruled out, but fits nothing
Cassette Tape - Clearly out, definitely would have been a sound clue for this, or Entertainment

And once again, with all four means clearly eliminated, I am more certain of Strangefate's innocence than anyone else.

Remiel
Means
Sniper - Possible but Unlikely, Fits Severe Injury, Action etc. But I think Sudden Sound has to be the pick when it's Sniper Shot.
Illegal Drug - Clearly out, Poisoning, Illness Accident etc.
Drill - Possible, fits Severe Injury, Action.
Liquid Drug - Clearly out, Poisoning, Illness, Accident etc.

Key Evidence
Seasoning - Clearly Out, fits Cafeteria very well, other connections marginal at best, would have gone with Dining for any food item
Skull - Clearly Out, It doesn't get more Personal than your skull does it?
Push Pin - Not Ruled Out, but far from the best fit for Cafeteria.
Soft Drink - Clearly Out, Fits Cafeteria and has Writing on it. But probably would go with Synthetic here, also Dining.

I think Remiel is basically out at this point.

Assasini
Means
Mercury - Clearly out, Poisoning
Drown - Clearly out, Suffocation
Chainsaw - Possible, but unlikely, it fits Severe Injury but you gotta think Chainsaw would mean Prolonged Sound
Boxcutter - Possible, fits Severe Injury, wouldn't make much noise so Action fits.

Jacket - Not Ruled Out, neither suggested nor excluded by any of the clues
Snacks - Clearly Out, Fits Cafeteria, but would have to think Dining if any food item.
Dice - Clearly Out, Entertainment/Relaxation
Spring - Neither suggested nor excluded by anything

If the answer is Spring, I honestly have no idea what would be picked for that. Boxcutter/Spring is a possibility that hasn't been ruled out, but it's a pretty weak one, same with Boxcutter/Jacket.

Blythe
Means
Alcohol - Clearly out, Poisoning/Accident
Kerosene - Possible but Unlikely, I would think smell would be picked for this
Machete - Possible, fits Severe Injury and Action
Hammer - Possible, fits Severe Injury and Action

Evidence
ID Card - Possible, fits written, and students have id cards, fits cafeteria and assembly
Certificate - Possible but less likely, fits Written, but I think I would have gone with Classroom or Elevator
Internet Cable - Out, would have gone with Classroom, Dorm, Entertainment, etc
Table Lamp - Out, dormitory much better

Four solid possibilities for Blythe - Machete/ID, Machete/Cert, Hammer/ID, Hammer/Cert

Madame Professor
Means
Wire - Out, I'm picturing a garrote wire, so I think suffocation is much better
Razor Blade - Possible, Fits Severe Injury, Action
Whip - Out, definitely sound for this one over action
Bamboo Tip - Possible, Fits Severe Injury, Action

Evidence
Coffee - Out, definitely dining
Menu - Again out, definitely dining
Playing Cards - Out, entertainment
Tie - Possible, not specifically suggested or excluded by anything

I think not picking Dining really did a lot to eliminate MP as a suspect. Still a chance for the tie to be the clue, in which case Razor Blade/Tie and Bamboo Tip/Tie are both viable cases.

BAMF
Means
Wrench - Possible, Fits Severe Injury/Action
Surgery - It's a stretch, I think Accident would go better
Bite and Tear - Possible, Fits Severe Injury, Action
Wine - Out, Poisoning, Illness, Accident

Key Cards
Badge - Out, I think synthetic or personal works better
Comics - Out, Entertainment
Video Camera - Out, I would think Entertainment
Leather Shoe - Doesn't fit or not fit anything.

Wrench/Leather Shoe and Bite and Tear/Leather Shoe aren't excluded, but it isn't really suggested either.

Verasaille
Means
Trophy - Possible, Fits Severe Injury/Action
Push - Possible, Fits Severe Injury/Action
Folding Chair - Possible, Fits Severe Injury/Action, Assembly
Radiation - Out, Sickness, Poisoning

Evidence
Numbers - Fits Writing, but would have picked Classroom, out
Dictionary - Again, classroom
Banknote - I think this is out, would have gone with Trading
Switch - I don't think is is excluded or suggested by much of anything

Several strong means, but I think the evidence has been eaten away at with this last clue. Not sure what Switch is tbh, but any of the three means with Switch are possible.

James Moriarty
Means
Blender - No, would have gone with Prolonged Sound or Dining
Towel - Suffocation
Venomous snake - Poison
chemicals - Poison, Accident, Illness

Evidence
Note - Fits Written/Assembly, Cafeteria dubious.
Bullet - not really suggested or excluded by anything
Timber - not really suggested or excluded by anything
Cat - hrm. same

Well a lot of his clues are vague at this point to me, but I don't think there's a viable means.

Derwaysh
Poisoning Needle - Poison, Duh.
Machine - Possible but I'd think sound would have been picked.
Cleaver - Possible, fits Severe Injury/Action.
Unarmed - Possible, Fits Severe Injury/Action.

Evidence
Lens - I think Classroom by far the best
Mirror - Dorm/Toilet
Steamed Buns - Dining
Dentures - Dining

No viable evidence left imo.

Not gonna bother pretending to do myself.

Blythe's list
Quote from: Blythe on January 28, 2016, 02:00:19 AM
Okay, my thoughts! (I borrowed a bit of formatting from the OP!). Trying to look at the clues in chronological order was mucking me up so I decided to try to look at them in a different order in a step-by-step process.

Clue #1: Cause of Death - Suffocation, Severe Injury, Loss of Blood, Illness/Disease, Poisoning, Accident
Clue #2: Location of Crime - Playground, Classroom, Dormitory, Cafeteria, Elevator, Toilet
Clue #3: Evidence Left Behind - Natural, Artistic, Written, Synthetic, Personal, Unrelated
Clue #4: Noticed By Bystander - Sudden Sound, Prolongued Sound, Smell, Visual, Action, Nothing
Clue #5: In Progress - Entertainment, Relaxation, Assembly, Trading, Visit, Dining
Clue #6: Victim's Expression - Peaceful, Struggling, Frightened, In Pain, Blank, Angry

Step 1: Address Clue #1. Eliminate all Poisoning, Suffocation, and Illness/Disease deaths. This eliminates: Powder Drug, Pillow, Poisonous Gas, Scarf, Plastic Bag, Illegal Drug, Liquid Drug, Mercury, Drown, Alcohol, Wire, Wine, Radiation, Towel, Venemous Snake, Chemicals, Poisonous Needle, Arsenic. Also eliminating Locked Room for not fitting any cause of death that isn't 'Accident.'

Step 2: Address Clue #3. Let's look at Evidence Left Behind first. I think looking at this first, then at 'Cafeteria' will be a bit more clear. Let's eliminate ALL evidence that doesn't overtly/strongly reference writing. This eliminates: Pocket Watch, Surveillance Camera, Hourglass, Test Tube, Iron, Maze, Cassette Tape, Seasoning, Skull, Push Pin, Soft Drink, Jacket, Snacks, Dice, Spring, Internet Cable, Table Lamp, Coffee, Tie, Badge, Video Camera, Leather Shoe, Switch, Bullet, Timber, Cat, Lens, Mirror, Steamed Buns, Dentures, Safety Pin, Wig

Step 3: Address Clue #4. I think that persephone had the perfect chance to implicate someone if it had been Sudden Sound or Prolonged, so....let's eliminate obvious associations. Eliminating: Electric Current (makes me think of a "BZZZZT" sudden noise), Sniper Rifle (muffled or single sudden shot), Chainsaw (prolonged or sudden sound, these are VERY loud), Whip (sudden crack of a whip, so sudden noise), Bite and Tear (prolonged sound seems more likely than 'action' here to me), Blender (prolonged sound), Machine (sudden or prolonged sound), Cleaver (sudden 'smack!' sound),

At this juncture, several people are eliminated as suspects because they have had either all methods or evidence eliminated: Strangefate, Remiel, Assassini, James Moriarty, Derwaysh
Remaining suspects: Blythe, RedPhoenix, Verasaille, BAMF, yugi006, Madame Professor

Step 4: Let's deal with the elephant in the room. Let's eliminate methods of death that are obviously Loss of Blood. This eliminates: Metal Wire (which would have been Loss of Blood or Suffocation), Machete (slash slash, anyone?), Drill, Boxcutter, Razor Blade, Surgery (makes me think of blood), Ice Skates (practically a razor blade).

Step 5: Let's deal with Clue #5, In Progress, now. We got 'Assembly.' Let's eliminate things that look like entertainment or relaxation from evidence. This eliminates: Playing Cards and Confidential Letter (a confidential letter would not be present at an Assembly but dealt with in private), and Dictionary (wouldn't have that on you during an Assembly). It also eliminates Comics.

Step 6: Let's deal with the #6 expression clue now. "Blank." So we're looking at a severe injury that came as a surprise or at least isn't particularly gory or bloody. More 'gruesome' or overtly 'violent' deaths should be eliminated here, I think. This eliminates Kerosense (there would surely be more than a blank expression for this death). Sulfuric Acid (for the same reasons a Kerosene), Hammer, Wrench

At this juncture, several people are eliminated as suspects because they have had either all methods or evidence eliminated: BAMF, Blythe, RedPHoenix

Remaining suspects: Verasaille, yugi006, Madame Professor

Step 7: Okay....NOW let's deal with Cafeteria. No particular manner of death stands out as being really 'cafeteria' oriented, but we can eliminate a bit more deaths and evidence: Sculpture (not as likely to be in a cafeteria), Trophy (not as likely to be in a cafeteria), Certificate (more likely to be a personal item), Numbers (very vague, doesn't stand out enough).  Yugi006 is eliminated as a suspect.

Final conclusion: 2 Remaining suspects - Verasaille and Madame Professor.

Verasaille with either Push or Folding Chair as methods and with a Bank Note as evidence

- or -

Madame Professor with Bamboo Tip and Menu.

Giant Crossed Out List for Reference

Player: Yugi006
Means of Murder Cards: Powder Drug, Metal Wire, Pillow, Sculpture

Key Evidence Cards: Pocket Watch, Surveillance Camera, Exam Paper, Hourglass

Player: Strangefate
Means of Murder Cards: Poisonous Gas, Scarf, Electric Current, Plastic Bag

Key Evidence Cards: Test Tube, Iron, Maze, Cassette Tape

Player: Remiel
Means of Murder Cards: Sniper, Illegal Drug, Drill, Liquid Drug

Key Evidence Cards: Seasoning, Skull, Push Pin, Soft Drink

Player: Assassini
Means of Murder Cards: Mercury, Drown, Chainsaw, Boxcutter

Key Evidence Cards: Jacket, Snacks, Dice, Spring

Player: Blythe
Means of Murder Cards: Alcohol, Kerosene, Machete, Hammer

Key Evidence Cards: ID Card, Certificate, Internet Cable, Table Lamp

Player:Madame Professor
Means of Murder Cards: Wire, Razor Blade, Whip, Bamboo Tip

Key Evidence Cards: Coffee, Menu, Playing Cards, Tie

Player: BAMF
Means of Murder Cards: Wrench, Surgery, Bite and Tear, Wine

Key Evidence Cards: Badge, Comics, Video Camera, Leather Shoe

Player: Verasaille
Means of Murder Cards: Trophy, Push, Folding Chair, Radiation

Key Evidence Cards: Numbers, Dictionary, Banknote, Switch

Player: James Moriarty
Means of Murder Cards: Blender, Towel, Venemous Snake, Chemicals

Key Evidence Cards: Note, Bullet, Timber, Cat

Player: Derwaysh
Means of Murder Cards: Poisonous Needle, Machine, Cleaver, Unarmed

Key Evidence Cards: Lens, Mirror, Steamed Buns, Dentures

Player: Red Phoenix

Means of Murder Cards: Ice Skates, Locked Room, Sulfuric Acid, Arsenic

Key Evidence Cards: Safety Pin, Wig, Confidential Letter, Map

(Sorry for the rambling post, wrote this late at night!)

Clues
Clue #1: Cause of Death - Suffocation, Severe Injury, Loss of Blood, Illness/Disease, Poisoning, Accident
Clue #2: Location of Crime - Playground, Classroom, Dormitory, Cafeteria, Elevator, Toilet
Clue #3: Evidence Left Behind - Natural, Artistic, Written, Synthetic, Personal, Unrelated
Clue #4: Noticed By Bystander - Sudden Sound, Prolongued Sound, Smell, Visual, Action, Nothing
Clue #5: In Progress - Entertainment, Relaxation, Assembly, Trading, Visit, Dining - covered up by Sudden Incident - Power Failure, Fire, Conflict, Loss of Valuables, Scream, Nothing
Clue #6: Victim's Expression - Peaceful, Struggling, Frightened, In Pain, Blank, Angry

Guesses

Blythe: James Moriarty is our murderer with the Blender as his method and the Note as evidence.
Yugi: Verasaille with Push as means of murder and Numbers as evidence left behind.
Verasaile: Bamf, Surgery and Comics.
Pheonix: I am Guessing BLYTHE with the HAMMER and the ID CARD.
Strangefate: I suggest Madame Professor with the Bamboo Tip and a Menu.
MP: I suspect Verasaille with the Trophy leaving behind the Banknote.
Derwaysh: Phenonix with Ice Skates, she left behind a Confidential Letter.

Okay, I can't pretend to do any in-depth evaluation. I fucked up and absolutely left this game alone for way too long (I probably owe you all an apology for that). Gotta just go with what the crowd seems to think works!

Umm... Ah, heck. What else to do LEEEEEEROOOYY- *voice fades away into the distance*

I accuse Verasaille with the Trophy and the Numbers!

Galactic Druid

Blythe

Galactic Druid

Galactic Druid

* ThatRPGuy is now dead and cannot post results.

Blythe

* Blythe casts Raise Dead to bring ThatRPGuy back to life for results!

RedPhoenix

Galactic Druid

* ThatRPGuy 's soul is unwilling to return for anything less than a True Res spell because he isn't dealing with being a level behind everyone else. That sucks.

RedPhoenix

I will have Blythe cast Reincarnate and make sure you end up as a gnoll!

Verasaille

*cracks up laughing as Guy's spirit remains stubborn.*

I find this game highly amusing.
I have gone off in search of myself. If I should get back before I return, please keep me here.