Silent Hill : The Old Gods [CS Up and Accepting Characters]

Started by Faustus, September 30, 2013, 10:51:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faustus

And So God Stretched Out His
Hand. . .
. . .and There Was Darkness.

Throughout the world are several concepts of faith which aide humanity in the daily progressions of the cycle. In the sleepy town of Silent Hill, the Order believes in its form of God. This sun deity has left the world of Silent Hill and in her wake a terrible darkness. They believe if she is reborn there will be a Paradise worthwhile - However, with the blood spilled and constant sin within this alternate reality they shall never, ever find Paradise.

Nor will any of you.

Venture to find that which you have lost in this world of darkness where during the day it a town of fog, but at night it is something so much worse : So much more sinister. When Valtiel turns the valves and brings the sirens screaming and the darkness around you where will you fall? The Otherworld awaits, with layouts far different than before traveled and monsters even more deadly than you had already faced.

This game will be a challenge. Each character has an obligation to themselves for survival. The history they have changes what they are searching for through the fog. How they feel and what feeling is their strongest will bring out specific monsters. During your adventure in Silent Hill and the Otherworld there will be surprise encounters with NPC monsters and residents of the town. Characters may optionally choose to band together, but there will be a single segment that only you may do. . .and you must do it alone.

May Valtiel turn the world to light your future and may home be only one more step through the fog.

“You may my glories and my state depose,
But not my griefs; still am I king of those.”

ON's and OFF's || Plots and Ideas || A/A's and Owed Posts [Updated 02/12! Please see.]

Faustus

What you see on the tin is what you get, team. This is a Silent Hill inspired game, plain and simple. It's a piece that myself and Captain my Captain have wanted to run for quite some time now. We've seen other Silent Hill games come and go on other boards, but we have a slightly different approach to the entire subject.

Myself (Faustus) and my Co-GM (Captain my Captain) will be doing a lot of control in this game. We will never control your character, but we will bend the world around you. The following is what we will be undertaking and applying to this version of the game.

• We will control the world around you. What this essentially means is that we will flip the world from day (Fog) to night (Otherworld). We make promises not to impair the players characters and work and will make grand announcements for the coming world shift in the OOC thread.
  • We will control the monsters. We have considered, if it shows enough interest, allowing players to apply for actual creatures in the game. If you are interested in that, please PM one of us for details. Otherwise, we will be doing the grand amount of monster control. Encounters will be at random.
  • I will be controlling Vincent Smith from Silent Hill 3. He will serve as a guide to the players, should they choose to use him. He can provide you endless knowledge if you play your cards right. He is not a guaranteed helpful character, nor can you trust 100% what he is telling you is the truth. Always remember that. This will be the only “character” played by the GMs. We will handle NPCs and Monsters as well, but no “important” characters (ie; The party).
  • The players will ultimately control their own outcomes and destinies. Though that doesn't mean we'll be making it easy for you. We will be actively throwing you through situations, familiar locations, unfamiliar, new layouts created by our own hands, etc. All the puzzles will be made by us and presented to the players. It is possible to solve them. It is also possible to fail them.
  • There is a chance of player-character death. We will not kill a character without a player consulting us first. However, should you enjoy this activity, we will be happy to lend you a hand in the dying process.

Rules/Posting Requirements/Etc are very simple. Nothing complicated, and not asking a whole lot of any individual player.
  • Be excellent to each other. Do not Godmod. Do not do unto another character as that player would not allow. Use your common sense.
  • Try for a minimum of ~2 paragraph response. We understand this isn't always going to happen. It isn't practical to assume it will either. However, we encourage it. The more other players have to work with, the more they will deliver, the more you will have. It is a wonderful giving cycle.
  • There is no minimum daily post. We do not believe in forcing players to post daily or what not. We do ask that if you are to be away for an extended period you inform us. We will then make appropriate measures with your character and probably move them in the direction of a personal trial, that way you may take as much time as required.
  • Communicate. We cannot stress this enough. If a player goes five - seven days without posting (especially if they are with another player who is waiting for them before they can post) it puts a damper on things. If you communicate with everyone upfront it is easier to work around these blips. See the above rule for what we can do to help.
  • This will be vastly sandbox. And by this we mean you control your own fate, your own actions, etc. You may attack, but do not auto-finish everything. Give the opponent (in this case a monster or puzzle, etc) a chance to respond and/or react. Because we are not using dice or stats for this we need to go like this. Just saying.

These are the basics. Should any need to amend this list arise, we shall do it.

ON's and OFF's || Plots and Ideas || A/A's and Owed Posts [Updated 02/12! Please see.]

Faustus

Please fill the character sheet out for your creation. When finished do not post it here. We ask, due to the sensitive three material questions at the end of the CS, that all sheets be PMed directly to either Faustus or Captain my Captain. Once the character has been approved, everything but the questions for the GM eyes only will be posted via the player in the accepted thread.

Please note the size of the placeholder image. We ask that your own (optional) image be no larger than this. Smaller is perfectly fine, but bigger is not. If you need it resized, please contact one of your GMs and we will be happy to resize it for you!

Player Username : Your username.
Name : The character's name.
Age : How old is your character? All characters must be aged 18 or above.
Title and/or Alias : Only if applicable. You got a different name you go by? We want to know it. Are you a Chief Inspector? That's a title, and we need that. Etc. Nicknames may also belong here.
Occupation : What does your character do as a job? Anything is a valid career, including un-employed and/or student status.

Appearance : Please describe your character. While you (optionally) are providing an image, the image may not be exact. Please detail this to your comfort.

Personality : How does the character present themself? How do they behave? Details, details. Please provide at least one meaty paragraph. Recall, a paragraph is at least 3 - 5 full and complete sentences. We will be excited by more.

Psuedo-History : This is an odd section, I know, but this will be the "public" history of your character. Only what /you/ want the /other/ players to know. The more in depth history is for us only. This provides suspense for the game and exciting development.

Skills : What skills will your character be bringing to the table? Please make this as realistic as possible, because superheroes aren't exactly welcome here. We reserve the right to refuse a skill if its ridiculous. Skills should be sensible in terms to your character's background, job/trade, etc.

Sexuality : Heterosexual? Homosexual? Bisexual/Curious? Pan? Asexual? You are only as limited as your imagination.
Sexual Ons :What gets your character going between the sheets? If it matches your own, please link.
Sexual Offs : What turns your character away? If it matches your own, please link.

Full Background : Remember how there was a section for the public eye? This is for GM eyes only. Please give your character's complete background. Be aware, what you put within here should be truthful, as this section will heavily be used when creating your individual puzzles and tests.

Deepest Fears and/or Secrets : Another big one for tailoring your own individual experience. What are your characters largest fears? Their darkest secrets? Give as many - or few - as you like. .
The Sin : True to the Silent Hill franchise, those that end up within Silent Hill often harbour a sin within their heart. To which does your character most embody? This will tailor monster encounters, as well as some of the personal trials.

[float=left][img padding=5]https://elliquiy.com/elluiki/images/2/2a/Placeholder_damn.jpg[/img][/float][b]Player Username :[/b] [i]Your username.[/i]
[b]Name :[/b] [i]The character's name.[/i]
[b]Age :[/b] [i]How old is your character? All characters must be aged 18 or above.[/i]
[b]Gender :[/b] [i]Male? Female? Genderqueer? Non-Binary? Up to you.[/i]
[b]Title and/or Alias :[/b] [i]Only if applicable. You got a different name you go by? We want to know it. Are you a Chief Inspector? That's a title, and we need that. Etc. Nicknames may also belong here.[/i]
[b]Occupation :[/b] [i]What does your character do as a job? Anything is a valid career, including un-employed and/or student status.[/i]

[b]Appearance :[/b] [i]Please describe your character. While you (optionally) are providing an image, the image may not be exact. Please detail this to your comfort.[/i]

[b]Personality :[/b] [i]How does the character present themself? How do they behave? Details, details. Please provide at least one meaty paragraph. Recall, a paragraph is at least 3 - 5 full and complete sentences. We will be excited by more.[/i]

[b]Psuedo-History :[/b] [i]This is an odd section, I know, but this will be the "public" history of your character. Only what /you/ want the /other/ players to know. The more in depth history is for us only. This provides suspense for the game and exciting development.[/i]

[b]Skills :[/b] [i]What skills will your character be bringing to the table? Please make this as realistic as possible, because superheroes aren't exactly welcome here. We reserve the right to refuse a skill if its ridiculous. Skills should be sensible in terms to your character's background, job/trade, etc.[/i]

[b]Sexuality :[/b] [i]Heterosexual? Homosexual? Bisexual/Curious? Pan? Asexual? You are only as limited as your imagination.[/i]
[b]Sexual Ons :[/b][i]What gets your character going between the sheets? If it matches your own, please link.[/i]
[b]Sexual Offs :[/b] [i]What turns your character away? If it matches your own, please link.[/i]
[hr]
[hr]
[b]Full Background :[/b] [i]Remember how there was a section for the public eye? This is for GM eyes only. Please give your character's complete background. Be aware, what you put within here should be truthful, as this section will heavily be used when creating your individual puzzles and tests.[/i]

[b]Deepest Fears and/or Secrets :[/b] [i]Another big one for tailoring your own individual experience. What are your characters largest fears? Their darkest secrets? Give as many - or few - as you like. .[/i]
[b]The Sin :[/b] [i]True to the Silent Hill franchise, those that end up within Silent Hill often harbour a sin within their heart. To which does your character most embody? This will tailor monster encounters, as well as some of the personal trials.[/i]

Player Name: Obvious, yes? Who are you?

Monster Class: Which monster are you playing?

Monster History: In Silent Hill culture it is alluded to that every single monster (aside from obvious dogs) were once humans. Who was your human and why did they become a monster? What was their sin that made them into the being? Captain has information on each monster to list the common factors if assistance is desired.

Sexual Activity: Will your monster be involved sexually with any of the protagonists? What target gender will it have or will it go for any?

Writing Sample: This sample will need to be at least three paragraphs long. We need to see how you get into the mindset of the creature and in what manner the monster behaves.

[b]Player Name:[/b] [i]Obvious, yes? Who are you?[/i]

[b]Monster Class:[/b] [i]Which monster are you playing?[/i]

[b]Monster History:[/b] [i]In Silent Hill culture it is alluded to that every single monster (aside from obvious dogs) were once humans. Who was your human and why did they become a monster? What was their sin that made them into the being? Captain has information on each monster to list the common factors if assistance is desired.[/i]

[b]Sexual Activity:[/b][i] Will your monster be involved sexually with any of the protagonists? What target gender will it have or will it go for any?[/i]

[b]Writing Sample:[/b][i] This sample will need to be at least three paragraphs long. We need to see how you get into the mindset of the creature and in what manner the monster behaves.[/i]

Faustus

The go-to links for the role play. Included will be Accepted Characters, Out of Character location, the various settings, and other links we believe to be of importance to our players.

I. Interest and Idea Thread
II. Accepted Character Thread
III. Out of Character Thread

Faustus

Faustus

Aaaand that is enough reserving. As curiosity is generated, more items will be added.

(Rules, Posting Requirements [Barely Any, I promise] and CS is to be added within the next day, interest pending.)

Chreestafer

“The Doctor: This is bad, I don't like this. [kicks console and yells in pain] Never use force, you just embarrass yourself. Unless you're cross, in which case... always use force!
Amy: Shall I run and get the manual?
The Doctor: I threw it in a supernova.
Amy: You threw the manual in a supernova? Why?
The Doctor: Because I disagreed with it! Now stop talking to me when I'm cross!”
Ons and Offs
F-List

Faustus

Thank you, brave soul, for being the first to be at all curious!  ;)

Lockepick

I'm also pretty interested! 

Will knowledge of Silent Hill 3 be relevant/necessary? I've played (or watched) all the Silent Hill games, but I tend to forget which scene/fact/character is from which.
Like what you see? I am currently looking for new plots!

Detailed List of O/Os and Plot Seeds

All of my image links were previously photobucket and broken -- I'm fixing them as I use the avatars again, or for current games. Please let me know if there is something that needs updating!

ChaoticSky

I'm interested, but im going to be 100% useless until friday, exams @_@

Faustus

Quote from: lockepick on September 30, 2013, 02:02:26 PM

Will knowledge of Silent Hill 3 be relevant/necessary? I've played (or watched) all the Silent Hill games, but I tend to forget which scene/fact/character is from which.

Not particularly. You only need a working knowledge of the basics of Silent Hill for this game. The character I will be using to guide comes from 3, but that is the only tie to that game. :D

Quote from: Darkling on September 30, 2013, 02:02:35 PM
I'm interested, but im going to be 100% useless until friday, exams @_@
I know the feel! I am a University student too, so I completely understand the hell of exams. No worries, though. I don't expect us to start right away. :-)

Chreestafer

Quote from: lockepick on September 30, 2013, 02:02:26 PM

Yes this is my conundrum as well, its been years since I've last played silent hill, I'm more of a resident evil guy myself.   So ill just have to read up on the basics and compare it with what knowledge I have.
“The Doctor: This is bad, I don't like this. [kicks console and yells in pain] Never use force, you just embarrass yourself. Unless you're cross, in which case... always use force!
Amy: Shall I run and get the manual?
The Doctor: I threw it in a supernova.
Amy: You threw the manual in a supernova? Why?
The Doctor: Because I disagreed with it! Now stop talking to me when I'm cross!”
Ons and Offs
F-List

Faustus

As stated, don't get too hung up on particulars. We're not obeying any one game in terms of facts/monsters/etc. Nor will you be seeing many (if any) canon human characters from the games beyond the one that I'm choosing to use as a guide for the player characters. :-) So familiarize yourself with concepts, but that's it.

AndyZ

Interested and bookmarking, but starting tomorrow I go on vacation for a week and posting will be sporadic.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Arion

I'm very much interested in this, though I'm not very familiar with the setting.  I know the basics, but very few particulars.  If I get accepted, I'll hit up a wiki and read up on anything you think necessary. 
"The flesh surrenders itself.  Eternity takes back its own.  Our bodies stirred these waters briefly, danced with a certain intoxication before the love of life and self, dealt with a few strange ideas, then submitted to the instruments of Time.  What can we say of this?  I occurred.  I am not... yet, I occurred."     -Frank Herbert

"I've rambled with the worst of them, fell in love with a harlequin, saw the darkest hearts of men, and I saw my self staring back again, and I saw my self staring back again."    -Bartholomew, The Silent Comedy; If you do not think that this is one of the greatest songs ever written... You.  Are.  Wrong.

<a href="https://www.f-list.net/c/arion99">My F-List

Faustus

Quote from: AndyZ on September 30, 2013, 04:50:38 PM
Interested and bookmarking, but starting tomorrow I go on vacation for a week and posting will be sporadic.
Completely understood! Character Sheets will probably drop tonight or tomorrow, depending, but the game itself won't begin for another few days. So don't worry about time.  :-)

Quote from: Arion on September 30, 2013, 05:08:08 PM
I'm very much interested in this, though I'm not very familiar with the setting.  I know the basics, but very few particulars.  If I get accepted, I'll hit up a wiki and read up on anything you think necessary. 
Not too much should be necessary! We'll be putting up our own Bestiary, Maps, etc. for the players, and it's quite a hodge-podge of the various games, novellas and films combined, so just understanding the very basic premise should be plenty for our purposes. Anything that gets much grittier than that will probably be explained through the course of the game anyway via Vincent, so don't give yourself too much homework. ;)

Ebb

Registering interest as well. I've only played one or two of the games, and that was forever ago. I do recall really liking the atmosphere though.

Do you intend for this to be more of a "we're all in this together" sort of experience, or closer to "every man/woman for themselves"? Or possibly "let's all split up to be safer"?

Faustus

Quote from: Ebb on September 30, 2013, 06:59:07 PM
Registering interest as well. I've only played one or two of the games, and that was forever ago. I do recall really liking the atmosphere though.

Do you intend for this to be more of a "we're all in this together" sort of experience, or closer to "every man/woman for themselves"? Or possibly "let's all split up to be safer"?
That is up to the players to decide. We express that they have the option to band together, or they may be out for themselves. Even in an established group, characters may feel free to backstab each other.

However, as stated in the opening, there will be one area per character that may only be completed by them and it will be by themselves. True to the nature of Silent Hill, it will be a test of their character and virtue and will call upon their own individual pasts and experiences.  :-)

Faustus

Rules and Requirements, along with Character Sheet, have been posted.
Please feel free to begin character creation and PMing.

Karasu

*gasps* Silent Hill?! Oh my god I absolutely LOVE Silent Hill! Oooh I'm SO interested!
SEEKING Undertale/Deltarune RP, PM to discuss details.

Quinz128

Hello! I am interested in a Silent Hill type game as well, just since this is an interest check. But I want to know what your idea is for the theories/backstory/how the world is effected? I ask because, well, it is of my belief that the original games. (1-4) were not rally open for interpretation, but rather very specific in the themes, etc. If it is marking itself as a straight up Silent Hill game, it may be iffy as there would be problems with how each, pretty definitely, ended. But if it's inspired by/modeled after or even some kind of odd 'alternate timeline' of it. I could understand and get over my snobbishness. XD

Faustus

First order of business : Accepted Character Thread has been added to the Important Links section. More links will come and grow over the coming days. Please feel free to begin submitting your characters to us and we will begin review and acceptance.

Quote from: Quinz128 on October 01, 2013, 01:31:55 AM
Hello! I am interested in a Silent Hill type game as well, just since this is an interest check. But I want to know what your idea is for the theories/backstory/how the world is effected? [. . .]
Inspired by and maintaining the basic elements is the biggest thing. We are not embracing any particular plotline as exact canon as not all of the stories perfectly intertwine. This would quickly become a headache for us to sort through and try to express to our players. Instead, the closest to canon plotline will be the use of a single canon character to guide the player characters, if they choose to use him.

To go much further than that answer, I'll need to have Captain come in and write it.  :-) He is the large designer and/or architect of this particular group game and has better in-depth answers than I do. He will be online to answer questions this evening (EST) following getting off from work. So stick around, because he'll have a fantastic answer for you just a little later!

ChaoticSky

Quote from: Quinz128 on October 01, 2013, 01:31:55 AM
Hello! I am interested in a Silent Hill type game as well, just since this is an interest check. But I want to know what your idea is for the theories/backstory/how the world is effected? I ask because, well, it is of my belief that the original games. (1-4) were not rally open for interpretation, but rather very specific in the themes, etc. If it is marking itself as a straight up Silent Hill game, it may be iffy as there would be problems with how each, pretty definitely, ended. But if it's inspired by/modeled after or even some kind of odd 'alternate timeline' of it. I could understand and get over my snobbishness. XD

If i may suppose; And this goes for everyone else who asked about the setting/games:

Ultimately, they dont matter.

What you need to know is this; Silent Hill isnt a place.... so much as a lens. It reflects those who come there, your heart, your mind, your past, your darkness. You arnt fighting monsters so much as the twisted denizens of your own subconscious, given monstrous form. The faceless nurses are a staple of the franchise, but they dont exist for any IC reason other than to reflect the protagonist's repressed sexuality, and sometimes more complex themes. The infamous  Pyramid Head of SH2 fame exists in that game alone as a avatar of james' desire to be punished. Etc

What we will find there.... well, its up to us, what we build for our characters, will determine what we see, what happened during/before/since those stories is largely irreverent, discovering the nature of the town is part of the experience, seeing how your character's nature is reflected in the world around them and coming to understand 'yourself' and overcoming the town's darkness and therefore you own, is the entire point.

So dont worry about not knowing the plot of the games, if anything thats a advantage, allowing you to seek your own answers, and make your own discoveries without being weighted down by intimate knowledge of Silent Hill's dark mechanics and history. 

(i hope thats right/you dont mind me spelling it out for people Faustus) o.o

Faustus

Darkling, that. Uh.

Well hell.

That's pretty much it exactly, yep! I'm certain if Captain sees something that runs opposite his plans he'll correct the statement later, but from what we've been discussing together that's pretty much it. Thank you for that!

ChaoticSky