Battlestar Gallactica, non-canon RP?

Started by Cynadea, February 11, 2016, 03:08:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cynadea

An all original crew, with new Cylon models. Maybe a parallel timeline, another BSG vessel that has survived in another part of the colonies and has its own set of passenger ships to take care of?

I have a strong preference for a highly active group, meaning that there is several posts done across the group within a week. I'm also interested by longer posts. I don't mean a novel by any means, but something with a 2 or 3 paragraphs minimum would be a requirement of mine. I lost interest when my 4-5 paragraph post is answered by a handful of lines. I also prefer a guided sandbox with multiple threads than a GM'ed game with everyone in one thread. The latter I find is both stiffing my creativity and confusing as hell when there are more than 3-4 characters involved.

I had a Firefly game once that had sandbox threads for people to RP their own plots, but one thread that was an "episode" for which participation was optional and were GM'ed quest. People had to keep in mind that the Episodes had consequences on the sandbox, and that if there was a major explosion somewhere, the rest of the game had to heed that event and integrate them in their RP, even if it was just feeling the tremor in the ship and hearing the alarm.

I do not want to GM this, but I am willing to help setting it all up. I am good at getting things organized, I have a firm grasp of the BBC code

Currently MIA, not available for  RP

Ons and Offs ~ Idea thread

AmberStarfire

I just watched my way through 4 seasons of the show and one of the movies (in the space of 2 or 3 weeks). I might be interested if anyone started a game.

SlipperySue

I am currently in an individual roleplay in this sphere, with a different Battlestar as the base.

Would also be interested in a group game, either on Galactica or another Battlestar.

Female Viper Jock is my preferred role, but open to the needs of the game.

Urbanzorro

I had attempted to get a BSG game going once. If I remember correctly I've still got the setup somewhere on here. If anyone wants to see it?
I'm a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.

My Idea Page
Things I Enjoy 
My Apologies.

Cynadea

Urbanzorro

Sure, it needs some tweaking/updating(at least one of the images doesn't appear to be working anymore) but the general concept it still sound.

Basically just a slightly different AU with all original characters and a new plotline that hopefully still captures the feel of the original.

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=113693.msg4945448#msg4945448

My Idea Page
Things I Enjoy 
My Apologies.

Cynadea

I think it has a good start for a setting :)

A few things that I would do differently, though. I wouldn't mind a whole new set of cylon models but I wouldn't set it 3 years later than the TV show. If we're writing an "alternate universe" to the one of the TV show, it can be set at the same time, but still be different. The Galactica could have been destroyed with the rest of the fleet in that timeline. I would also not make some character mandatory for the game to begin. In a sandbox, it's entirely possible for any position to be filled by a NPC until someone comes along to pick that specific spot.

Urbanzorro

Yeah most definitely needs some changes. That having been said though if you ladies are interested I could work on it a bit and then we can see if we can get a game rolling.

My Idea Page
Things I Enjoy 
My Apologies.

mia h

I have had half an idea for a BSG type game rattling around my head for a while but nothing more than "Well what if the story started here?", which is fine enough but I have no idea for what happens next.

In the show there were two Colonial "fleets" that survived, but what if there was another fleet? Something more akin to the Ghost Fleet from Blood & Chrome, where the fleet might be better armed and better able to survive in terms of raw firepower but the crew(s) are not that well trained..
If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

Urbanzorro

And now my brain is running on overdrive with BSG scenarios. I'm thinking as far as game structure goes the game itself would be a Freeform sandbox interspersed with GM driven events to push the overall plot along. Basically the GM events would be akin to the episodes we got to see in the show and the sandbox would be the day to day that we didn't see. Depending on the size of the group we could have two threads, one for sandbox interaction and one for the GM events or even go with a few threads organized by location (battlestar, civilian fleet, etc). We could start off with the initial GM event which would be the Cylon attack and the battlestar' escape from said attack.

My Idea Page
Things I Enjoy 
My Apologies.

mia h

I thought that a good place\time would equate to the end of the mini-series, sort of "Your world has just been destroyed, welcome to your new life." Depending on that jump off point, would vastly alter what different characters might know.

Urbanzorro

That's another good starting point, I tend to lean towards staring with a bang, but starting off a bit slower/more open ended could work too.

My Idea Page
Things I Enjoy 
My Apologies.

mia h

My thinking that is if the story starts just prior to or in the middle of the Cylon attack, then characters have to be get to the fleet which I can see causing all kinds of problems. So why not just jump ahead a little bit and have 99% really confused about what's just happened.

Cynadea

Quote from: Urbanzorro on February 13, 2016, 04:20:11 PM
And now my brain is running on overdrive with BSG scenarios. I'm thinking as far as game structure goes the game itself would be a Freeform sandbox interspersed with GM driven events to push the overall plot along. Basically the GM events would be akin to the episodes we got to see in the show and the sandbox would be the day to day that we didn't see. Depending on the size of the group we could have two threads, one for sandbox interaction and one for the GM events or even go with a few threads organized by location (battlestar, civilian fleet, etc). We could start off with the initial GM event which would be the Cylon attack and the battlestar' escape from said attack.

That's generally how I do my games. Areas for people to play their character and their plots as they please, and episodes that are GM-guided of important events that can affect the ship as a whole, but participation is optional for non-essential personnel (the CAG should not opt out of a briefing, but the leader of the civilian fleet wouldn't -have- to be there for a combat-centric plot arc, for example).

Urbanzorro, I'll be sending you a PM in a few minutes.

Primarch

I could certainly get in on a BSG game. Always enjoy a good OC AU too.

Cynadea

This is a work in progress

If you want to give some feedback or call dibs on a specific position, we'd love to hear it. :)

Urbanzorro

My Idea Page
Things I Enjoy 
My Apologies.