In the Shadows of Olympus [Eclipse Phase FATE, Non-Con: Exotic] [Closed]

Started by AnneReinard, January 18, 2016, 08:15:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnneReinard

Worth noting, it is true people can be reloaded from back-up, but it isn't the worst thing ever.

1. They'll almost certainly have a loss of memories, referred to as 'lack.' Back-ups are on monthly or longer basis typically. People in fields where death is unlikely probably go on three-month or even year long backup cycles. Losing a lot of information can be advantageous.

2. The reinstantiating is not necessarily instantaneous. You don't want to make a new copy of somebody who isn't dead, because it prompts all sorts of legal problems. So if you hide the body, it is likely that they won't be brought back for a good long time. Grab the cortical stack and you're gold.
Ons and Offs

Always free for a little teasing back and forth. Or suggestions to titles to make this exhibitionist squirm! I adore silly little PMs.

AndyZ

Then I guess the big question would be what this particular group wants to do.  Do we want to capture our enemies and keep them as slaves/pets, or do we want to prep for dealing with a large group of enemies simultaneously?

I'm totally cool with Krysta practically never getting into fights to begin with, but you always want to have a Hitter on standby for if things do go poorly.

As an odd question, can someone's Ego be hacked?  It's software, after all.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

AnneReinard

Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: Depends on the situation. You cannot access the ego directly for people with meatbrains. For people with cyberbrains, it is a complicated process that you don't want to be in. For either case, if your cortical stack is at the mercy of the enemy, they can perform psychosurgery on your ego their heart's content, at the risk of damaging your psyche.
Ons and Offs

Always free for a little teasing back and forth. Or suggestions to titles to make this exhibitionist squirm! I adore silly little PMs.

Kunoichi

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on January 25, 2016, 07:59:49 AM
Alternately, for the Trouble, Dr. Jones could have: Exsurgents.  I HATE these guys.  (adapted from Last Crusade)

That could certainly lead to some entertaining roleplaying with the asyncs on the team. xD

Quote from: AndyZ on January 25, 2016, 10:45:23 AM
Then I guess the big question would be what this particular group wants to do.  Do we want to capture our enemies and keep them as slaves/pets, or do we want to prep for dealing with a large group of enemies simultaneously?

I think most of the group is probably not cold-blooded enough to outright kidnap and enslave people, so we'll probably be trying to avoid fights for the most part, and aiming for either the non-lethal takedown or the kill when we run into a battle we can't talk or sneak our way around.

FarFetched

Quote from: Kunoichi on January 25, 2016, 01:30:03 PM
I think most of the group is probably not cold-blooded enough to outright kidnap and enslave people, so we'll probably be trying to avoid fights for the most part, and aiming for either the non-lethal takedown or the kill when we run into a battle we can't talk or sneak our way around.
*Jane promises nothing as she shoots off someone's head, rips out the cortical stack, and uses the data on that to find everything needed to get their backups deleted.*

Kunoichi

ThisOneGal

Quote from: Kunoichi on January 25, 2016, 02:08:31 AM
...By the way, this one is probably a bit too much of a pun to work, but another possible high concept aspect for you that just now occurred to me is 'Cognite's Lost Asset'. ^^;

linky

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on January 25, 2016, 07:59:49 AM
Alternately, for the Trouble, Dr. Jones could have: Exsurgents.  I HATE these guys.  (adapted from Last Crusade)

Maybe Exhumans instead of Exsurgents?
Although the Ultimates are probably closer to being Nazis.

FarFetched

ThisOneGal

Cognite's Lost Asset

Lost as in missing and Lost as in Futura Project. :P

ThisOneGal

I've added a 'Invokes and Compels' section to my charsheet to flesh out what I think/expect Red's Aspects to be, well, Invoked and Compelled for. :P
+ is good, - is bad, * could go either way.
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=242974.msg12001647#msg12001647

And since I think the 'Crossing Paths' thing is a really good chargen idea, here are the major sections of Red's life so far. Feel free to propose a connection wherever you think it's interesting/makes sense.

Project Futura
Very unlikely any connections will be from here as a result of secrecy. Would be really interesting if there were any though. Possibilities include: working for Cognite at the time of the project, working against Cognite, associated with key scientists, involved in leaking info.

Futura aftermath
Very unlikely any connections will be from here as a result of short duration. Involvement suggests you character was really passionate about this for some reason.

Project Phoenix
Likely point of connection. Red would have been quite active at this point, and it's possible she ran into many of you during the course of her assignments. Possibilities include: simple meeting, encountering her as opposition, stopping her from assassinating/spying, you were hired as a distraction, worked together to clean up a TITAN outbreak/mad science experiment, used by her to get to an objective.

One interesting possibility is her using Subliminal on you to get you to 'protect her' during a violent extraction, or to act as a distraction.

Breakout
Possible point of connection. You could've been hired by Firewall to collect her, hired by a third party to collect someone else, or hired by Cognite to do retrieval.

On the Run
Probable, but dull point of connection. You met her after she was in Firewall's hands. This is basically meeting her at the start of the story.

Kunoichi

Quote from: ThisOneGal on January 25, 2016, 07:10:51 PM
On the Run
Probable, but dull point of connection. You met her after she was in Firewall's hands. This is basically meeting her at the start of the story.

Dull for most people, but in Antimony's case, I will note that she needs someone to pretend to be her legal owner in order to openly participate in Martian society as an AGI.  And if we assume that they're both working at the same call girl agency...

Connecting with the other characters will probably be a bit tough for my character, though.  There might have been indirect connections that happened during her days as a criminal hacker, but I doubt that she's actually met any of the other characters in-person before working for Firewall.

Edit: Well, actually, now that I think about it, there is a possibility that one or more of the other characters were among the Sentinels that got a fork of her off the Les Goules server.  So she could have met people at that point in time, at least.

It probably would be worth taking a little time to consider invokes, compels and potential plot hooks for Antimony as well, now that you've brought those things up, though.  I do have some solid ideas on those already...

FarFetched

I've added a 'Invokes and Compels' section to my charsheet to flesh out what I think/expect Red's Aspects to be, well, Invoked and Compelled for.

I was personally planning on leaving the compels up to GM's discretion and Compels something that I bring up as things happen, especially since her aspects are pretty straightforward:

High Aspect: Ruthless, Badass Veteran
Explanation: "Hur dur I'm Solid snake with boobies"
Invoke: Does better at violent stuff; lining up shots, sneaking about, torturing the crap out of someone, etc.
Compel: Might do violent stuff without thinking about it; could kill people before asking the others, can be excessively brutal with imprisoned enemies, etc.

Trouble Aspect: May All AGIs Divide By Zero
Explanation: "TITANs started out as AGI, so I hate all AGI now."
Invoke: Honestly can't think of one not covered by the Aspect Below.
Compel: Can't let her guard down around AGI, purposely avoids working with them if possible, and would almost NEVER ask a favor of one. This aspect is why she doesn't use a Muse, and would crop up every time her lack of one inconveniences her.

Other Aspect: Massive Trust Issues
Explanation: "What if this is all just another setup? I'm not getting caught by Shock trooper insurgents twice!"
Invoke: She does better shutting people down in situations that requires her to trust someone (Psychic suggestion, people persuading her, people lying to her, etc.)
Compel: She sometimes thinks people are lying for no good reason.

Other Aspect: Traumatized Fall-Veteran
Explanation: "Listen, I've seen some things, man. SOME REALLY MESSED UP THINGS."
Invoke: Her horrifying past is something actually relevant to the situation.
Compel: She ends up saying this sort of crap to someone she's supposed to be comforting. It does not help, especially with small children. She also might have PTSD flashbacks and such.

And since I think the 'Crossing Paths' thing is a really good chargen idea, here are the major sections of Red's life so far. Feel free to propose a connection wherever you think it's interesting/makes sense.
Jane is a very un-fun kind of girl. In fact, fun kinda stresses her out. She spends her days either maintaining her youth/physique, working, or maintaining her equipment. If she runs out of things to actually do, she'll probably spend time reading combat weapon magazines or, quite literally, stare at a wall and do nothing.

Because of she doesn't really leave her tiny, spartan, and cramped apartment without a reason, her potential path-crossing is pretty limited.

We go to the same Gym- Jane's morph is special because it's actually hers. She treats it like a temple, and works out regularly to keep it in peak condition. It would probably only work with Biomorphs who prefer Au-Naturale alternatives to keeping in shape.

One of my Ops involved you- Jane doesn't do work for seedy sorts like Cognite, but she does do work for Firewall, since their work has the interests of other people in mind. Jane might have done an op related to getting you into Firewall. Still, you might not have even gotten a good look at her. She's pretty sneaky.

I somehow knew you on earth?- Very unlikely, yet self-explanatory.

I don't know you, you dont know me. Good.- This is your first time meeting the reclusive Jane, who will prefer this. This is the most likely option out of all of them.

ThisOneGal

Quote from: FarFetched on January 25, 2016, 08:51:13 PM

Skill at fighting synths, TITANs. Also identifying them; know thy enemy and all that.

QuoteWe go to the same Gym- Jane's morph is special because it's actually hers. She treats it like a temple, and works out regularly to keep it in peak condition. It would probably only work with Biomorphs who prefer Au-Naturale alternatives to keeping in shape.

One of my Ops involved you- Jane doesn't do work for seedy sorts like Cognite, but she does do work for Firewall, since their work has the interests of other people in mind. Jane might have done an op related to getting you into Firewall. Still, you might not have even gotten a good look at her. She's pretty sneaky.

Hmm. It just occurs to me that the Jovians would be super interested in Jane. They have a 'significant reward' for anyone who moves there with their original body. (Rimward, p. 36) It's odd she hasn't joined up with them.

Anyway, connections.

Given Jane's biochauvanism, she probably hangs out at the same places as the local Jovian embassy members. They've probably hired her to act as a bodyguard so they can get more access to her and entice her to emigrate.

Since the Consortium and the Republic are political rivals, it wouldn't be surprising if Cognite (or another Hypercorp) decided initiate covert actions against them (either espionage or some form of retribution/encouragement for some trade disagreement).

So Jane and Red have met, both at the gym (where Red was trying to get close to her target, and socialized with Jane, 'cause that's what normal, not-spies do) and later on assignment, where things suddenly went horribly wrong for no discernible reason. Red is there, and apparently unperturbed by the chaos. Asyncs are not public knowledge (Firewall and others deliberately suppress this information), so Jane is left with the impression that Red is somehow responsible, but no explanation as to how/why. Jane's attempts to gain information eventually draw Firewall's attention, and that's how she gets inducted into the conspiracy.

Also, the fallout from that incident explains why the Jovians aren't as keen on her anymore.

Also, Red is totally going to refer to Jane as 'Tables' instead of 'Drop' if she finds out that she chose " '); DROP TABLE users or 1=1;-- " for her handle. 'Choose a stupid name, live with the consequences.'

Quote from: Kunoichi on January 25, 2016, 07:21:26 PM
Dull for most people, but in Antimony's case, I will note that she needs someone to pretend to be her legal owner in order to openly participate in Martian society as an AGI.  And if we assume that they're both working at the same call girl agency...

Edit: Well, actually, now that I think about it, there is a possibility that one or more of the other characters were among the Sentinels that got a fork of her off the Les Goules server.  So she could have met people at that point in time, at least.

Antimony could've met other Lost escapees on the Les Ghoules server, giving her some context/bias for/against Red before they met.

As for the AGI owned by Red thing. The cover could be that Antimony is Red's security AI. Red's mesh skills are terrible, so it makes sense she would simply 'buy' an AGI to do the work for her. And, like all good lies, there's a kernel (hah) of truth to it.

AndyZ

I don't really know what the various projects are, but I could easily see Krysta working for the call girl agency as a bodyguard.

As part of her employment, maybe she gets free access to the working girls ^_^

If I never said before, she HATES the name her parents gave her and will keep it as secret as possible, just going by Krysta.

As far as Jane, Krysta and Jane could easily have been dealing with all kinds of baddies on missions together if you like.  Your call how Jane feels about futanari, though.  (Or if Krysta would even be able to try to put the moves on)
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

ThisOneGal

Quote from: AndyZ on January 25, 2016, 10:41:47 PM
I don't really know what the various projects are, but I could easily see Krysta working for the call girl agency as a bodyguard.

Could have Krysta be part of the team that extracted Red. Her not knowing anything about Red but working to save her serves to underscore the blind loyalty thing she's got going on. If she died in the process, that helps underscore her status as a phoenix.

QuoteIf I never said before, she HATES the name her parents gave her and will keep it as secret as possible, just going by Krysta.

Given that Firewall is an illegal conspiracy, most of us will be keeping our 'real' names/identities secret. Or we're supposed to, at least.

AndyZ

Sounds good to me ^_^ Didn't realize Firewall was an illegal conspiracy, so glad you explicitly stated.

Kunoichi

Jane is a very un-fun kind of girl. In fact, fun kinda stresses her out. She spends her days either maintaining her youth/physique, working, or maintaining her equipment. If she runs out of things to actually do, she'll probably spend time reading combat weapon magazines or, quite literally, stare at a wall and do nothing.

Jane almost sounds like she might be a better fit for an erasure squad than a regular group of sentinels.  A lot of Firewall servers supposedly keep their erasure squad teams continuously running training simulations on dedicated simulspace servers in-between missions.

Quote from: ThisOneGal on January 25, 2016, 09:48:10 PM
Antimony could've met other Lost escapees on the Les Ghoules server, giving her some context/bias for/against Red before they met.

As for the AGI owned by Red thing. The cover could be that Antimony is Red's security AI. Red's mesh skills are terrible, so it makes sense she would simply 'buy' an AGI to do the work for her. And, like all good lies, there's a kernel (hah) of truth to it.

Antimony could have met other Lost escapees at any point during her criminal career, really.  If Firewall sent her to an async trainer to help her get a handle on her own abilities, I suppose that that async could have been a member of the Lost generation, too...

The original Handy Harley line of AIs is marketed as 'personal servant software', in that euphemistic way that sexual products are so often named when put out onto the open market.  While those AIs are optimized to run best on the meat-and-metal interface of a pod morph, they can also be run in infomorph form, and do have settings that allow them to operate as a person's Muse (which is how Antimony was able to use a delta fork of herself for that same purpose).  Since Antimony is going to be spending her time sleeved into a physical body of her own, I think that a better official position for her to take out in public is to be Red's personal assistant, essentially acting as a combination secretary, manager of Red's schedule, and also handling mesh security for her.  Sort of like a super-Muse with a physical body and a Muse of her own, I suppose. :P

And of course she also sells her own services on the side, to help bring in a little extra money and cover the cost of her own living expenses.

Quote from: AndyZ on January 25, 2016, 10:41:47 PM

If all three of us are using the agency as a cover, it's probably secretly owned by Firewall to begin with, and used as a day job by sentinels who don't mind doing spreading their legs for a living.  We're probably encouraged not to get to know our coworkers all that well.

If I never said before, she HATES the name her parents gave her and will keep it as secret as possible, just going by Krysta.

If that's her Firewall handle, then she probably has some other nickname that she uses in her civilian identity.

AndyZ

Yeah, that changes a few things...

If we're all illegal agents, working alongside two others seems very unlikely, so Krysta will probably just stick to other bodyguarding work.

Krysta will be her RL moniker, and I'll have to figure out one for Firewall.

Sorry everyone >.<

ThisOneGal

No worries. Eclipse Phase is a complex setting, to say the least. ^^

Also, you're just jumping in, and it seems like a few of us are like me and have been obsessing about the setting for a few years. :P
Seriously, I think I was fascinated by this game before it even released, but my memory is fuzzy.

EDIT: Yep, the physical copy I have is from the first printing. ^^

AndyZ

I've looked into bits and pieces, but % games tend to hose me over, and it was crazy complicated.

Part of the reason I thank people for stuff I already knew is because there will invariably be something I don't, and I'll gladly sift through everything I do know to get to the stuff I don't.

The Firewall handle will probably have something to do with the old saying of falling down seven times and getting up eight, but I need to figure out how to put that in a proper Phoenix aspect and burn it down to a single word.

Kunoichi

...On second thought, I think I'll have it so that Antimony is once again living her life pretending to be a human being, and making a living as a moderately-priced call-girl as part of her civilian cover between Firewall jobs.  That's both less complicated to figure out, and will probably lead to more compels on my Trouble aspect overall.  Having to slide into a completely new identity will also help to explain why she'll be starting out with no Civ Rep and no Credits whatsoever at the start of the game.

ReijiTabibito

I was personally planning on leaving the compels up to GM's discretion and Compels something that I bring up as things happen, especially since her aspects are pretty straightforward:

Explanation: "TITANs started out as AGI, so I hate all AGI now."
Compel: Can't let her guard down around AGI, purposely avoids working with them if possible, and would almost NEVER ask a favor of one. This aspect is why she doesn't use a Muse, and would crop up every time her lack of one inconveniences her.

It's actually worth pointing out that in standard EP, you can take a phobia, which is a fear or high mistrust of a specific thing, which is what part of this sounds like.  There's the standard AI Phobia, which is noted as part of being a bit of the psych makeup for survivors of the Fall or TITAN attacks, but there's also a SEPARATE Muse Phobia.  IE, they're not the same thing.  So Jane could have a muse on-hand, if she wants to, as the book notes that AGI/AI and Muses are not the same thing for game purposes.

EDIT: It's also worth saying that I am NOT a general fan of Fate's skill pyramid...stupid skill-prop-up.

EDIT 2: Here's the tentative skill pyramid I've got for Dr. Jones.

+4 2 Xeno-Contact, Will
+3 2 X-Risk, Investigate
+2 Athletics, Medicine, Notice
+1 Civ Rep, 2 Skills, Shoot,Survival  (Still want 2 to round out the whole thing)

FarFetched

Skill at fighting synths, TITANs. Also identifying them; know thy enemy and all that.
Fair enough.

Hmm. It just occurs to me that the Jovians would be super interested in Jane. They have a 'significant reward' for anyone who moves there with their original body. (Rimward, p. 36) It's odd she hasn't joined up with them.
After reading up on the darn things, it makes sense that Jane would work with Jovian ambassadors if the opportunity arose. She agrees with most of their policies, but their nanotechnology just isn't prepared to deal with the radiation of Jupiter yet. Jane wants to extend her lifespan as long as possible without splicing herself stupid, and Jovians haven't approved that kind of technology for use just yet.

Given Jane's biochauvanism, she probably hangs out at the same places as the local Jovian embassy members. They've probably hired her to act as a bodyguard so they can get more access to her and entice her to emigrate.

Since the Consortium and the Republic are political rivals, it wouldn't be surprising if Cognite (or another Hypercorp) decided initiate covert actions against them (either espionage or some form of retribution/encouragement for some trade disagreement).
Given Jane's body and Jovian's lifestyle, this is likely to be somewhat true. Jane would likely get most of her work from less-radical Biochauvanists, and has probably done security detail from them. She has definitely found their offer attractive, but Jane's distrust of basically everyone has likely prevented her from taking up that offer.

So Jane and Red have met, both at the gym (where Red was trying to get close to her target, and socialized with Jane, 'cause that's what normal, not-spies do) and later on assignment, where things suddenly went horribly wrong for no discernible reason. Red is there, and apparently unperturbed by the chaos. Asyncs are not public knowledge (Firewall and others deliberately suppress this information), so Jane is left with the impression that Red is somehow responsible, but no explanation as to how/why. Jane's attempts to gain information eventually draw Firewall's attention, and that's how she gets inducted into the conspiracy.

Also, the fallout from that incident explains why the Jovians aren't as keen on her anymore.
This one I have to disagree with a little- Jane is... Well, imagine talking to someone whose first reaction upon meeting a person is to stare at them critically for ten whole seconds, before speaking sparsely and continuing her work while a poor, hapless individual attempts to continue an increasingly one-sided conversation. That's Jane's outer layer, and she doesn't usually let it peel back for people she meets in a Gym. It would've been a real effort for Red to get anything out of Jane other than her first name and possibly some much-needed education on how to work the Gym equipment.

Still, that doesn't mean that Red doesn't know Jane at all; it's just not too likely that they talked enough enough to make the Jovians suspicious of her, and Jane probably wouldn't pursue any kind of inquiry into what Red was if that stuff went south. If she's not being paid for it, and it isn't directly aiding some of her core beliefs, she's probably not going to do it. (See: Stares at walls in her free time. At walls. Like some kind of Robot.) It's still most likely that Firewall contacted her the same way as I had it in her Bio- just a document that turned up with her name on it.

Also, Red is totally going to refer to Jane as 'Tables' instead of 'Drop' if she finds out that she chose " '); DROP TABLE users or 1=1;-- " for her handle. 'Choose a stupid name, live with the consequences.'
Fair enough. Jane doesn't really care what she's called. You could call her Users, Bitch, MySQL reject, etc. It probably wouldn't bother her. She keeps that handle in particular as a way to annoy AGI's who might try to store her name in their memory- the handle itself is hard-code for dropping a table from a commonly named database.

Also also,
Quote from: Kunoichi on January 25, 2016, 11:13:14 PM
Jane almost sounds like she might be a better fit for an erasure squad than a regular group of sentinels.  A lot of Firewall servers supposedly keep their erasure squad teams continuously running training simulations on dedicated simulspace servers in-between missions.
Yeah, that fits Jane to a T. I need to look into how Simulspace works, though. Are body modifications (Cortical stacks, etc.) required to use Simulspace? If so, It might've made more sense to have Jane do work in Erasure squads, but spend her off time doing training in the form of sentinel Ops in lieu of being unable to use Simulspace.

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on January 26, 2016, 12:25:14 AM
It's actually worth pointing out that in standard EP, you can take a phobia, which is a fear or high mistrust of a specific thing, which is what part of this sounds like.  There's the standard AI Phobia, which is noted as part of being a bit of the psych makeup for survivors of the Fall or TITAN attacks, but there's also a SEPARATE Muse Phobia.  IE, they're not the same thing.  So Jane could have a muse on-hand, if she wants to, as the book notes that AGI/AI and Muses are not the same thing for game purposes.
True, but I found them similar enough for Jane to dislike them. ("Egh, talks like human, tries to manipulate me. Is bad!") I like it because it's gives the character's baggage a real, physical representation that reflects her troubled Aspect. Jane, even at her most social, doesn't really express super strong emotions that might clue one in to her super-distaste of AI, so this works as the biggest clue of that.

For everyone besides Red, I think it's better that Jane meets them all for the first time at the game's start. I kinda like that idea, so everyone can take a turn rubbing up against Sandpaper Jane's rough exterior. Should be fun!

Kunoichi

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on January 26, 2016, 12:25:14 AM
EDIT 2: Here's the tentative skill pyramid I've got for Dr. Jones.

+4 2 Xeno-Contact, Will
+3 2 X-Risk, Investigate
+2 Athletics, Medicine, Notice
+1 Civ Rep, 2 Skills, Shoot,Survival  (Still want 2 to round out the whole thing)

Is your Will so high because you're planning to be an async, or...?

For your remaining two skills, Eye Rep and Credit could both be useful, although you might also want Somatics so that you'll have 3 stress boxes, rather than 2.

I also feel like Indiana Jones would have Athletics and Shoot both at slightly higher ratings, along with Fight...  I suppose you're not literally supposed to be Indiana Jones, though, so they're probably alright where they are.

Quote from: FarFetched on January 26, 2016, 12:47:22 AM
Also also, Yeah, that fits Jane to a T. I need to look into how Simulspace works, though. Are body modifications (Cortical stacks, etc.) required to use Simulspace? If so, It might've made more sense to have Jane do work in Erasure squads, but spend her off time doing training in the form of sentinel Ops in lieu of being unable to use Simulspace.

Reading up on it, there's a headband thing you can put on your forehead if you're in any sort of biomorph, but it's full VR, so using it also cuts off all outside sensory abilities while you're using it.  So Jane probably wouldn't want to risk using simulspace in her everyday life.

As for doing work on erasure squads...  Well, here's a quote from the Firewall sourcebook on those:

QuoteErasers: Combat Specialists
The erasure squad is the mop-up crew. Their skill set includes heavy weaponry, demolitions, and mass destruction. Erasers get called in when the situation has gotten out of hand, when breaking a few eggs isn’t enough to contain the mess and the entire kitchen needs to be burned to the ground. Sometimes their presence is justified. Usually it’s because a sentinel team fucked up.

Usually Firewall pulls on sentinels to complete an investigation. Our pool of sentinels gives us a selection of people with a variety of skills and the right affiliations to fit in wherever the job may be. Erasers don’t require those social ties or real-world experience as much as they need full-time, specialized training in killing things. It’s common for erasers to come from military or ultimate backgrounds, where combat operations were a daily routine. Others used to do something else before an unfortunate experience made them unsuitable for that job, and it’s just a case of Firewall saying: waste not, want not. It’s better not to pry too deep; you don’t want to know about whatever they saw or learned to put them on that path. Some erasers are actually kept on ice and only thawed out when needed—they don’t have much of a life outside of being a murder machine. The best erasers work in squads, wielding a variety of armaments and tactics against potentially unknown threats. The really scary ones operate solo.

How they’re implemented varies. Pragmatists like the “egocast in and blast things” strategy. Backups frequently prefer the “sneak in and blast things” variant. Conservatives tend to go for a “get them close and blast everything from a distance” approach. Regardless, you should notice a theme here. Many servers do without erasure squads altogether, preferring sentinels to not fuck up in the first place, then tasking them with clean-up when they do.

Look, I know plenty of sentinels fancy themselves as erasers. You aren’t, and you don’t want to be. Erasers are fucked in the head. You don’t get a job killing thousands of people full-time without knocking a few screws loose. In our server, the erasers were kept in training simulators when not in use. We only pulled them out as a last resort, when things are beyond recovery. If you see an erasure squad, you’re already a target. If you’re on an erasure squad, it’s because you’re already the monster. Consider yourself warned.