What the heck, SGK?!?

Started by Oniya, February 03, 2012, 08:47:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Callie Del Noire

And.... now the National Right to Life is pushing for supporters to pull support from SGK for providing aid to 'the nation's largest abortion provider: Planned Parenthood'.

What a bunch o' tools.

Oniya

These would be the same donors who posted gleefully to SGK's Facebook page after the initial announcement that they were yanking the support.

I fail to see how withholding support from a cancer charity is 'pro-life'.  Of course, if they're donating to other cancer charities (for reals) then that's fine by me.  SGK has a huge overhead, especially with all the suits they filed against other charities for using 'for the Cure' without permission.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Trieste

I... is that for real? Do some reps really think that PP is all about "abortion by the wholesale"?

Vekseid

Yes. An acquaintance of mine actually knows the girl who made that "How exactly did you get elected?" comment. Apparently she deleted it rather quickly, not wanting her name attached to him, but it was too late >_>

Oniya

Hell, I'd have made it proudly.  I believe in calling representatives out when they're acting with the intelligence of your average 5-pound sledge.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Oniya

New update:

Karen Handel (I mentioned her in my initial post) has resigned from Komen.  She's refused any kind of severance package.  This further cements my suspicion that the whole defunding of PP was her brain-child.

http://blogs.ajc.com/political-insider-jim-galloway/2012/02/07/karen-handel-resigns-from-komen-for-the-cure/

Vekseid

I would be skeptical. How did this get past everyone else in the decision-making process?

Oniya

The rule that was implemented is one of those that 'looks good' on the surface - they would stop partnering with any organization/group that was under investigation.  Looks good - you don't want your good works tarnished by working with criminals, after all. 

The fact of the matter is, though, being under investigation is not the same as being convicted of an offense (ref. HUAC).  Also, two other organizations - Penn State and Bank of America - are still partners with SGK despite both being under investigation (Penn State for failures of reporting criminal activity, and BoA for its involvement in the mortgage crisis.)

Callie Del Noire

Well I figure that she started the ball rolling.. or maybe worked the scene. I do find it very very suspicious she gave up a good severance package with the only 'perk' being she can speak out if she doesn't take it. She's going to use this as a platform and spin it to make her look good at the SGK folk's benefit.

Serephino

I think her not getting a severance package was part of a petition that was going around.  I don't remember exactly what it said, but it was for her to resign.  I'm glad to see she did.

Callie Del Noire

True.. but she is free to 'spill' all the evil liberal secrets that she saw now. She can say she was run out for this that or the other and talk all she wants about how SGK was less than vigilant in their observation of PP's practices.

Will

Quote from: Oniya on February 07, 2012, 10:45:29 AM
The rule that was implemented is one of those that 'looks good' on the surface - they would stop partnering with any organization/group that was under investigation.  Looks good - you don't want your good works tarnished by working with criminals, after all. 

The fact of the matter is, though, being under investigation is not the same as being convicted of an offense (ref. HUAC).  Also, two other organizations - Penn State and Bank of America - are still partners with SGK despite both being under investigation (Penn State for failures of reporting criminal activity, and BoA for its involvement in the mortgage crisis.)

The inconsistent manner in which the new "under investigation" rule was applied makes it a little hard for me to believe that one woman acted on her own, pulling the wool over an entire organization's eyes.  It may have been Handel's brainchild, but I can't bring myself to believe the SGK foundation is without blame in this.
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac

Oniya

SGK's lost a lot of trust over this, and I'm not sure they'll ever quite live it down.  As long as the donation dollars that they would have gotten end up going to other breast cancer research groups (who hopefully have a bigger percentage of their income going to research instead of pink-washing), I can't say I'm particularly upset that they got a smackdown.

Will

Same.  I'm kind of glad that they've been smacked down.  It was bad enough that they were spending money filing copyright lawsuits, but it didn't get them the kind of backlash that cutting off PP did.  Now their bad behavior has been thrust into the light, and hopefully donations will be redirected to organizations that will use them better.  Maybe the publicity will even get more people to act and donate, who otherwise wouldn't have.
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac

Callie Del Noire

It just irks me that some conservative tool played their system to make points with her own voting group and I get the feeling that is what she was doing. Taking her job to make points with potential voters. I can't say there is definite proof but my gut tells me she is gaming the SGK and the media for her own benefit.

Lilias

I'm a well-known fan of these scooter-grannies, but this is pure, unadulterated brilliance, even for their standards. I cheered at the end.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Mar 30) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI