Dominionism, Christianity and the United States

Started by CaughtByMoonlight, July 03, 2013, 11:42:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lilias

Quote from: Cyrano Johnson on July 18, 2013, 01:58:06 AM
Going back a bit, but: there was in fact a substantial neo-pagan strain in historical Nazism, and there remains such in the modern world and the intellectual heirs of that movement: cf. Varg "Count Grishnakh" Vikernes of Norwegian Black Metal (and Burzum) fame.

There are also the Hellenists of the YSEE, who support the expulsion of Christians from Greece (never mind that some 97% of the country's population belong to the Orthodox Church). ::) Good luck finding any primary sources in English, though.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

gaggedLouise

If Phelps and his people were Catholic, he'd have been one of those underground bishops who have managed to get installed and anointed by some  rogue "archbishop" who, in turn, claims to be in the line of apostolic succession. There are hundreds of such "non-standard bishops", some of whom have never even been ordained to the priesthood/pastorate by the RC or any other mainstream church.  ::)

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

HairyHeretic

Going back a bit, but: there was in fact a substantial neo-pagan strain in historical Nazism,

I would disagree with that, as I've seen it mentioned before, and a friend of mine actually wrote a rather niece piece refuting it some years ago. Unfortunately I have to head out to work now, but will try and find it later.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Oniya

Going back a bit, but: there was in fact a substantial neo-pagan strain in historical Nazism,

Much of it was a result of Hitler humoring Himmler for the handy propaganda.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

CaughtByMoonlight

The Hellenists, as I understand it, were not only about the Greek religion returning, but the whole idea of going back to Classical Greece. Democracy (as it was practiced there), and a few other non-religious items. How serious were they? It's hard to tell, but some time ago (a year? three?) the Greek government voted to recognize the practitioners of the elder faiths and give them status.

Of course, now that the economy blew up there, people are not so focused on who worships who.
[This space contains dangerous ideas.]

Mera1506

The US seems like a really religious country in general. But maybe that's just me, I look from the outside in. Here in the Netherlands there are many political parties who have to work together to make things work, this too has a downside. Everything is a compromise and the real problems neer get really addressed. However Religion doesn't seem to be influencing politics here as much as there.

CaughtByMoonlight

I think we seem that way from the outside. From the inside, it looks like one extremely vocal strain of Christianity has taken over the public discourse. That in itself leads us away from solving actual problems, and the public debate gets redirected to who marries who, whether women can exercise control of their own bodies, and increasingly (and most sadly) whether or not people who are not pale derivatives of the paleo-humans actually count as people.

For myself, all these issues are a distraction that is (perhaps) designed to keep the wealthy in possession of the cash and the rest struggling to have a life while making a living.

:-\

Valthazar

Quote from: CaughtByMoonlight on September 14, 2013, 08:59:32 AM
I think we seem that way from the outside. From the inside, it looks like one extremely vocal strain of Christianity has taken over the public discourse. That in itself leads us away from solving actual problems, and the public debate gets redirected to who marries who, whether women can exercise control of their own bodies, and increasingly (and most sadly) whether or not people who are not pale derivatives of the paleo-humans actually count as people.

For myself, all these issues are a distraction that is (perhaps) designed to keep the wealthy in possession of the cash and the rest struggling to have a life while making a living.

:-\

This is an excellent summary of what is going on for all Americans.  The reality is that there are thousands of different perspectives when it comes to a myriad of social issues.  But are these really the types of discussions warranted for the national stage, in the midst of such adverse economic times?  But I'm not simply making commentary about the religious right - but also about those at the opposite end of the spectrum - who have political views driven by social issues such as LGBT rights, racial issues, gender issues, etc.  Granted, all these issues are very, very important - but social issues should not be driving the decisions that ultimately determine our economic future.

As CaughtByMoonlight says, I would not be surprised if this media and cultural fixation with social issues mixed with politics is simply a way to engage the vast majority of Americans in the political process - who may otherwise be very ignorant or disinterested in actual political discourse (economics, foreign affairs, etc.)

It's much easier to engage a 19-year-old kid in the political process through "politicized" social campaigns, rather than meaningful political discourse.  For example, getting this demographic to slap a picture of an "equals" sign on their Facebook profile picture is an easy way for the Democratic party to galvanize support among its otherwise 'less-politically-inclined' target demographic, for its political and economic intentions.  On the same token, church preachers who warn attendants about "the government's attack on religion" is a way for the Republican party to galvanize support among its otherwise 'less-politically-inclined' target demographic.

Disclaimer: Please don't get me wrong, all these social equality campaigns for racial, LGBT, and gender rights are very important.  I am simply making a remark about the forced politicization of these issues on the national stage, rather than as a non-political, purely social change.

CaughtByMoonlight

Thank you for your comment. Anything can be made political; I think the issue is whether focus on them at this point in time is helpful (no) or a distraction from the real work that needs doing. The left is, I think, willing to do the work. The right seems to be clamoring about the sociopolitical stuff instead of doing the work.

To be short: This AND That, NOT This OR That.