News:

Sarkat And Rian: Happily Ever After? [EX]
Congratulations shengami & FoxgirlJay for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Tumblr help?

Started by Oniya, January 10, 2019, 08:08:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oniya

So, Little Oni follows a number of Tumblr blogs.  Over the past few days, while she can see content in her dashboard, if she tries to access the individual pages directly, she gets an error from the browser saying that it can't connect (this happens in both Firefox and Chrome).  The pages are obviously still there (since the content is showing on her dash), but the direct access seems to have disappeared.  She read off one of the page urls to me, and I'm able to access it fine from my machine.  I know I haven't changed any security settings on her machine (and don't think that there are any that would apply - even though Firefox's error suggests 'making sure that Firefox is allowed through your firewall.'  Yeah, pretty sure if it wasn't, then YouTube wouldn't be functioning either.)

Anyone got any clues?
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Oniya

Semi-update - it looks like a lot of people are having this issue, right down to the message about 'firewalls' (which shouldn't be able to affect individual blogs, without major tweaking at the computer, right?)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Vekseid

Since Tumblr blogs have their own subdomain, a local firewall can certainly block them.

Oniya

But you'd have to manually configure that, correct?  At the computer end (not the router, not the ISP)

Vekseid

Derp.

No.

The machine still sends out a DNS request, and the domain itself is requested in plaintext (though it's rare even then). Though this doesn't explain why she'd see it in her dashboard. You can try editing her DNS settings, though.

Oniya

Well, with absolutely no action on our end, things are back to working.  O_o  You think maybe adding an alternate DNS server might remedy this if it happens again?

Vekseid

If it is an isps issue, that can help. Sometimes their DNS servers die or whatnot.