News:

Main Menu

So, how large is it?

Started by Lilias, December 26, 2012, 05:14:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lilias

Your vocabulary, that is. Care to find out?

Do the clicky thing!
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Saerrael

Your total vocabulary size is estimated to be:
words

And for foreign learners of English, we've found that the most common vocabulary size is from 2,500–9,000 words.

I'd say I'm doing good... *coughs*

HockeyGod

words

Edit: Can I say that towards the fourth column on the second page I started to feel very stupid!  ::)

Saerrael

Quote from: alxnjsh on December 26, 2012, 05:35:31 PM
Edit: Can I say that towards the fourth column on the second page I started to feel very stupid!  ::)

Hahahah! Sounds familiar!

Pumpkin Seeds

words

Yeah, I was feeling a little overwhelmed by then.

Oneiros

I was feeling pretty dumb by the final column myself! I was like "Geez, I've never heard of any of these words!"

Still got 30,700 though. I should make my husband take it. He frequently uses big words that I don't know, but recently I've started calling him on using them - most of them he doesn't actually know what they mean and is just kind of guessing. *chuckles*

Lilias

Quote from: Saerra on December 26, 2012, 05:33:36 PM
And for foreign learners of English, we've found that the most common vocabulary size is from 2,500–9,000 words.

I didn't notice that! :o Guess that's normal for someone who just gets to international certification; FCE covers a vocabulary of ~3K and CPE goes up to ~10K.

I'm a foreign learner myself, as is largely known around here, and still hit 38,300. Not bad for someone who, in her first year in university, had over 100 unknown words in a mid-20th century short story. >_<
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Caeli

This quiz/test (especially the last column!) made me feel like I didn't know English. D;
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Saerrael

Quote from: Lilias on December 26, 2012, 06:02:06 PM
I didn't notice that! :o Guess that's normal for someone who just gets to international certification; FCE covers a vocabulary of ~3K and CPE goes up to ~10K.

I'm a foreign learner myself, as is largely known around here, and still hit 38,300. Not bad for someone who, in her first year in university, had over 100 unknown words in a mid-20th century short story. >_<

...maybe an idea to differentiate on education, as well. I did not see uni, for one. All past the Dutch equivalent of High School has been self taught.
I must say, though, that Elliquiy has been a very good influence ♥

Oh, and I took it again to read out loud the words that scrambled (light word blindness) and managed to reach 24k. I feel proud.

Caeli

As a side note, I always find it difficult to categorize myself with questions like, "which language is your native language?" English isn't my first language, and it isn't (always) the language that I think in, but it's the more proficient of my two (three if you include dialects), so it's hard to say. -__-
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Nadir

words

Wuuurrrrdssss

Oneiros

I took it a second time to compensate for my mild dyslexia (the first time I'd gone through it at lightning speed, zoooom!) and bumped up to 31,400. The words do change slightly if you take it more than once, so I probably got lucky and they slipped a few harder words in there that time that I actually knew. There were tons of words that I had read before and had a very vague idea of their definition, but couldn't come up with a definition that I was 100% confident with.

Saerrael

*grins* Yeah, I zzoooomed the first time, too. *chuckles*

Aiden

Braioch

...I need more words ya'll, I am disappoint in myself
I'm also on Discord (like, all the time), so feel free to ask about that if you want

[tr]
   [td]
[/td]
   [td]
[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Oniya

Your total vocabulary size is estimated to be: 35,600 words

Crossword puzzles.  I blame it all on the crossword puzzles.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Sarena

QuoteYour total vocabulary size is estimated to be:
words

Now I want to go look up all of those words that I didn't know! 
I can go from southern belle to ghetto thug faster than you can say "Bless your heart".

Lithos

26,500 maybe i understood it wrong, i picked all words i knew some meaning for. *edit* score fixed i blame being tired, wrote it wrong. 
There is no innocence, only layers upon layers of guilt
--
Wiki | O&O | A&A | Game Search

Outsider

25,100 words, English being my 3rd language (as in priority)

I was thinking some of these words at the end must have been traps. Just crossovers, maybe a drawback for those who just randomly click things!

Silverfyre

32,200 words.  I grew up in a bilingual household until I was six, with the two languages being French and English.  Believe it or not, more than  few of the harder words were learned from gaming books such as White Wolf's "World of Darkness" and DnD.  Tenebrous, caitiff, hobgoblin, to name a few.  Read more fantasy and learn more words!  Woo!

Braioch

I retook it because I have a habit of flying through tests and not taking my time to read each thing carefully.

New score: 27,800
I'm also on Discord (like, all the time), so feel free to ask about that if you want

[tr]
   [td]
[/td]
   [td]
[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Oneiros

Quote from: Silverfyre on December 26, 2012, 10:45:43 PM
Believe it or not, more than  few of the harder words were learned from gaming books such as White Wolf's "World of Darkness" and DnD.  Tenebrous, caitiff, hobgoblin, to name a few.  Read more fantasy and learn more words!  Woo!

Haha, this is exactly where I picked up some of my words too. ;)

Trieste

33,500 - conservatively. I was familiar with all of the words on the lists but I didn't check it if I couldn't a) think of an actual definition as I read it, and b) use it in a sentence as a way to distinguish from the words that I'm familiar with but don't know and those that I actually know.

I'm not sure if that's what they meant when the instructions said "Don't check boxes for words you know you've seen before, but whose meaning you aren't exactly sure of." but that's how I interpreted it.

ExisD

27,100 those last two columns made me feel really stupid. I probably would've gotten a few more if I'd thought about them though.

Keaton

Your total vocabulary size is estimated to be: 24,500 words

Woohoo, words. The last page just made me go "WHAT? ARE THESE REAL WORDS?" Made me feel stupid.

Ons & Offs  Search Thread  Apologies & Absences   Current Stories: 1