(IC) Superhero game - Icons

Started by Rune, October 06, 2016, 10:45:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rune

Would anyone be interested in playing a system based superhero game?

It would be more focused on the story than missions instead of the more adult aspects of sex and domination (not that there couldn't be aspects of that present as well).

The system I would probably go with would be Icons, but I could be convinced to use Supers! if people prefer.

Muse

I'm afraid I'm not well versed in ieither of those systems. 

What about maybe Man Made Mythologies or Mutants and MAsterminds? 

I hope it's not rude to sugest that.  I wouldn't have if i did't see you'd gone six days without a nibble. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

MasterMischief

Icons looks like an excellent rules light system and I would be all over this if I felt comfortable committing right now.  Unfortunately, I can not.  Still, I do not think it would be a difficult system to teach to anyone new to it.

Rune

I'm not familiar with Man Made Mythologies. MnM is a good system, but too crunchy for board playing. The reason I suggested Icons or Supers! is that they are both rules light systems that would be easy to run here.

Pumpkin Seeds

I'll have to look up Icons at some point.

Crash

Quote from: Pumpkin Seeds on October 12, 2016, 10:38:27 AM
I'll have to look up Icons at some point.

It isn't bad.  There are others I like more.  Had some FATE aspects as I recall.  Daring Comics is a good middle ground between FATE and MnM.

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."
Congratulations, you've unlocked Flirtatious Crash! - Envious

Pumpkin Seeds

It's still my favorite, Daring that is.

Muse

Man Made Mythologies is actualy a superhero system built off of the Pathfinder mechanics, many of which are open lisence. 

:)  I believe I'd like to give this game a whirl. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Crash

Quote from: Pumpkin Seeds on October 13, 2016, 02:01:11 AM
It's still my favorite, Daring that is.

Yeah.  I am really glad you pointed me to it.

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."

Cassandra LeMay

Color me interested. I don't know Icons, but I run a Supers! game in RL, so I know those rules pretty well (and I have fallen in love with them after just one session). If you ran Supers! I'd be happy to assist people with making their characters (should it become necessary), as long as that doesn't end up with me being drafted in as a Co-GM.  :D
ONs, OFFs, and writing samples | Oath of the Drake

You can not value dreams according to the odds of their becoming true.
(Sonia Sotomayor)

Rune

I would be interested in playing in a mnm 3rd ed game if someone were to run one.

For running, it would be Supers, Icons or Marvel FASERIp.

I do have Daring Comics on order but won't have it for a couple of weeks.

Nowherewoman

Quote from: Rune on October 06, 2016, 10:45:07 AM
Would anyone be interested in playing a system based superhero game?

The system I would probably go with would be Icons, but I could be convinced to use Supers! if people prefer.

I dread sticking my toe in this pool, because it seems I am the Embrace of Lethe to group SH games.

But if nothing else, I want to ask:  how 'light' a system is Icons? I used to mess about with GURPS Supers, but it was a long time ago, and while I like system games to some extent, I hate getting bogged down in minutiae.
My eyes are a window to the storm that's getting close.

more me here now!  (O/Os, ideas and junk): https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=215830.0

and mea culpas  (A/As): https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=221151.0

Rune

As far as 'lightness' and ease of play, this is the order I would rate the various super games that I own. This is based on how quickly you can make a character and how easily the rules are explained to new players. IMO of course.

Supers!
Triumphant
Icons
Phase Four
Marvel FASERIP/G Core
Savage Worlds
AMP
Prowlers and Paragons
BASH
Capes Cowls and Villains Foul
DC Megs
Mutants and Masterminds
Marvel Heroic
Aberrant
Heroes Unlimited
Villains and Vigilantes
Champions/Hero

Nowherewoman

Found Icons and Airship Daedelus both on sale, so taking a peek.
My eyes are a window to the storm that's getting close.

more me here now!  (O/Os, ideas and junk): https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=215830.0

and mea culpas  (A/As): https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=221151.0

Crash

Cassandra LeMay

A little while ago I was thinking about running a Supers game here myself and summed up the rules for interested players, and posted a few sample characters to explain some aspects of the rules. Might be of some interest:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=252566.msg12495829#msg12495829
ONs, OFFs, and writing samples | Oath of the Drake

You can not value dreams according to the odds of their becoming true.
(Sonia Sotomayor)

Dhi

I don't care much about the system but I'm interested to hear more about the world and tone and overall story you're looking for. There are some ideas I've been interested in exploring but it's hard to say at this time whether they'd fit.

Pumpkin Seeds

Dhi

Pumpkin Seeds

MasterMischief

Quote from: Rune on October 16, 2016, 11:31:33 AM
As far as 'lightness' and ease of play, this is the order I would rate the various super games that I own. This is based on how quickly you can make a character and how easily the rules are explained to new players. IMO of course.

Supers!
Triumphant
Icons
Phase Four
Marvel FASERIP/G Core
Savage Worlds
AMP
Prowlers and Paragons
BASH
Capes Cowls and Villains Foul
DC Megs
Mutants and Masterminds
Marvel Heroic
Aberrant
Heroes Unlimited
Villains and Vigilantes
Champions/Hero

I would put G.U.R.P.S. Supers under Champions/Hero.  In my biased opinion, G.U.R.P.S. can handle gritty/street level Supers ok but really struggles with Four Color due to its simulationist roots.  That is not to say it can not do it, but it does bog down in a lot of minutia.

Rune

Can't really talk on GURPs. Haven't played it since the second edition when Steve and I went our separate ways.

MasterMischief

I played Third edition exclusively for years including High Fantasy and Four Color Supers.  I have not played Fourth, but am somewhat familiar with it.  Happy to field any questions anyone might have.

Chi

I'm tempted to play, I haven't really played any of those systems, though do have my dad's V&V game kicking around on a bookshelf and agree that it's not a simple set up. Played CoV/H for years and am playing Champions Online with a vengeance right now so in a very Hero-y/Villain-y mood haha. If there's anything I can check out online I'd love to see if I can figure it out.

Here's a link to Hero Machine where you can create a pic of your hero and a recreation to the best of my ability of my old hero from CoV.
Hero Machine: Cobalt Lightning
Champions: Cobalt Lightning

Electrical Blasts, Jetpack Flight, AoE Lightning Shield
Canadian Peacekeeper

Super Speed, Pistol, Assault Rifle and Smoke Grenades
Saigon Kick

Speed/Jumping, Katanas
Ms. Incendiary

Fire Flight, Flame Attacks and Flame AoE Defensive Blast

That was used with the basic program, there's a more advanced version which gives you more options but I wanted something quick and easy. The other images are some examples of characters and costumes I've made with Champions Online.

I'll also gladly attempt to create character portraits for people using the Champs character generator. I've got a gold membership so I have some pretty diverse costume pieces that I can use and it's actually a pretty powerful costume design system. I'll even try to get 'action' shots for folks if they desire it, not sure if I can do it but I'll try with my CO Cobalt Lightning later today when they're done their maintenance in 4 hours....GRRRRRR I need to pound bad guys, don't they understand?!?!?

~Chi

~~~ Language is my canvas, and words are my palette. Wanna finger paint?  ~~~

Sally Aces

I'm utterly new here but mega-interested in joining a superhero game.

Consider my hat tossed into the ring.