What's in the news?

Started by Beorning, September 21, 2014, 07:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Renegade Vile

Quote from: Lustful Bride on August 09, 2016, 06:06:18 PM
Coalition airstrikes destroys IS oil trucks that totaled up to $11 Million.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/isil-oil-trucks-worth-dollar11-million-destroyed-in-massive-airstrike/ar-BBvrrhG?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=HPCOMMDHP15

Eventually they will run out of all their money and be left with only sticks and rocks to fight the coalition with.

Depends entirely on how much money they're getting from governments across the Middle-East and North-Africa... But this is still good, it's hitting their direct source of income.

Quote from: TaintedAndDelish on August 09, 2016, 06:28:23 PM
I'm finding the negative stories about Rio more amusing than the Olympics this year.

Olympic divers splash into green pool
http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/09/sport/rio-olympics-green-pool/index.html?sr=twCNN080916rio-olympics-green-pool1118PMStoryPhoto&linkId=27498931

Rio Games Conspiracy Watch: Did a Kayaker Get Capsized by a Runaway Sofa?
http://www.slate.com/blogs/five_ring_circus/2016/08/07/did_a_rio_games_kayaker_get_capsized_by_a_runaway_sofa.html

I know, right? What about that athlete that was "kidnapped" by the police department at the airport? Corruption gone wild.
<< Unavailable for New Games >>

Warlock

Quote from: TaintedAndDelish on August 09, 2016, 06:28:23 PM
I'm finding the negative stories about Rio more amusing than the Olympics this year.

Olympic divers splash into green pool
http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/09/sport/rio-olympics-green-pool/index.html?sr=twCNN080916rio-olympics-green-pool1118PMStoryPhoto&linkId=27498931

Good for Rio, taking the enviromentalist movement seriously by 'going green.' A strong statement, which I fully support.

Lilias

Two medals for Greece in Rio, in events that went completely under the radar until now:

http://www.issf-sports.org/news.ashx?newsid=2652
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Lustful Bride

North Korea feeding Crystal Meth to its workers to make them work harder on a Skyscraper project.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/north-korea-feeding-workers-crystal-meth-to-speed-up-skyscraper-project/ar-BBvtvqU?li=BBnbfcL&ocid=HPCOMMDHP15

A part of me really wants to say this is false or just exaggeration...but...this is North Korea we are talking about :/

Not out of the realm of possibility.

Lustful Bride

Serial Killer known as the "Grim Sleeper" was found guilty and sentenced to Death due to DNA evidence and one of his victims who survived to testify against him.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/victim-tells-grim-sleeper-you-are-truly-a-piece-of-evil/ar-BBvt3ab?li=BBnbcA1&ocid=HPCOMMDHP15

Beorning

I have no English-language source for this, but today I heard the news about a female doctor that died in one Polish hospital on Monday. She wasn't there as a patient, but as a staff member on duty. It seems that the possible cause of death was exhaustion - the doctor was, apparently, in the course of a work shift that was already fours days long at the moment of her death.

One of her superiors assured the public that, according to the law, everything was legal - and that the doctor was "comfortable" during these four days of non-stop work. Apparently, she was allowed to take a nap when nothing important was happening...

That's the Polish healthcare system for you, guys. Also, in many ways, the general situation of workers here...

LisztesFerenc

Quote from: Beorning on August 11, 2016, 02:00:52 PM
One of her superiors assured the public that, according to the law, everything was legal

I always find it weird when officials think that will calm people. When something goes wrong and someone dies, that tragic, but it happens. When everything goes right, every regulation and rule followed, and yet still something happens, that makes it worse, not better.

Oniya

I think that was less to 'calm the public' and more to 'deflect blame from the superiors'.  Although I know I'd feel peachy about going to a place where my doctor had just pulled three consecutive all-nighters.  I remember doing those at conventions (well, 72 hours give-or-take, not 96), and by the end of it, you weren't certain if the thing you just saw was a really great hall-costume or a hallucination.  Just the kind of mental state I'd want in charge of a scalpel.

(Yeah, no.)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

TheGlyphstone

Beorning

Hm. It's beginning... the Pokemon Go Apocalypse! Where civilization collapses because of legions of fanatic Pokemon Go players possessed by an eldritch horror...  :o

Lustful Bride

The only thing that could make it worse was if they all started Reading Sutter Cane.

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: Beorning on August 11, 2016, 11:58:09 PM
Hm. It's beginning... the Pokemon Go Apocalypse! Where civilization collapses because of legions of fanatic Pokemon Go players possessed by an eldritch horror...  :o
Good. There have been times when I walked around a crowded street and wanted an urgent excuse to get a gun and shoot people in the smartphone.

Could actually make for a nice TV show - the last "un-phoned" on Earth shooting smart phones and blowing up cellphone towers. A bit like Walking Dead meets They Live.  8-)
ONs, OFFs, and writing samples | Oath of the Drake

You can not value dreams according to the odds of their becoming true.
(Sonia Sotomayor)

Renegade Vile

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on August 11, 2016, 11:40:31 PM
Pokemon GO craziness continues:

Pokemon GO is now illegal in Iran.

Someone slashes the truck tires in a Texas Fire Department after its Pokestop is removed.

I've said it before the game even came out and I'll say it again: profit-hound developers not looking to what their game's gimmick actually entails require two things from their players. Responsibility and respect. They were foolishly optimistic; or just plain ignorant.

LisztesFerenc

I don't get this dislike people have for Pokemon Go. Its played by millions of people, the vast majority of which enjoy the game in a responsible way. Football fans cause way more damage, yet I don't see people rushing to blame that game for the actions of its fans. I don't play the game myself, but I certainly don't feel the need to put down the entire player base.

Renegade Vile

Quote from: LisztesFerenc on August 12, 2016, 03:15:27 AM
  I don't get this dislike people have for Pokemon Go. Its played by millions of people, the vast majority of which enjoy the game in a responsible way. Football fans cause way more damage, yet I don't see people rushing to blame that game for the actions of its fans. I don't play the game myself, but I certainly don't feel the need to put down the entire player base.

That's apples and pears. The game of football is not responsible, the hooligan culture and the giant heaps of money behind it are. In this case, it's a matter of an old gimmick (yes, Pokémon Go is not revolutionary in any way, it's just got the Pokémon license at its back) being poorly implemented. Most of the criticism I read also does not put down the player base, but it puts down the game itself, which has some glaring flaws that wouldn't matter in a game on a television screen in someone's living room, but does matter when you take that game outside into the real world and expect everything and everyone to behave themselves. AR is interesting technology and an interesting concept that is going to get developed and implemented no matter what, to long-term beneficial results, but the people who designed Pokémon Go just smelled dollar signs and rolled with it, not really caring about safety or the obsessive nature of a lot of adults (I actually don't worry about kids playing this game, they often do it under supervision and it's usually adults that take this sort of thing too far).

So again, a lot of people are criticizing the game and its developers, not the people playing it.

LisztesFerenc

Quote from: Renegade Vile on August 12, 2016, 03:29:00 AM
That's apples and pears. The game of football is not responsible, the hooligan culture and the giant heaps of money behind it are. In this case, it's a matter of an old gimmick (yes, Pokémon Go is not revolutionary in any way, it's just got the Pokémon license at its back) being poorly implemented. Most of the criticism I read also does not put down the player base, but it puts down the game itself, which has some glaring flaws that wouldn't matter in a game on a television screen in someone's living room, but does matter when you take that game outside into the real world and expect everything and everyone to behave themselves. AR is interesting technology and an interesting concept that is going to get developed and implemented no matter what, to long-term beneficial results, but the people who designed Pokémon Go just smelled dollar signs and rolled with it, not really caring about safety or the obsessive nature of a lot of adults (I actually don't worry about kids playing this game, they often do it under supervision and it's usually adults that take this sort of thing too far).

So again, a lot of people are criticizing the game and its developers, not the people playing it.

I fail to see any meaningful distinction. You say "hooligan culture" is the problem with football with somehow makes the game blameless, yet somehow the "obsessive nature of a lot of adults" somehow translates into it being designers fault, not the fans who cannot control their impulses. I see a contradiction, and a claim that the two situations are different with no substantive reasoning behind that.

Renegade Vile

Quote from: LisztesFerenc on August 12, 2016, 03:38:25 AM
  I fail to see any meaningful distinction. You say "hooligan culture" is the problem with football with somehow makes the game blameless, yet somehow the "obsessive nature of a lot of adults" somehow translates into it being designers fault, not the fans who cannot control their impulses. I see a contradiction, and a claim that the two situations are different with no substantive reasoning behind that.

The distinction is this, football (by the way, I realize you might have been referring to American Football, I assumed soccer, doesn't make a whole lot of difference, but apologies if I go on with soccer in the back of my head because I don't know anything about American Football or hooliganism in that sport) does not operate purely on the obsessions of people, while Pokémon Go's entire premise is: collect, collect, collect. That's an immediate targeting thereof. And even if there was a contradiction, my point still remains that a lot of the criticism I read is directed against the game, not the player base, contrary to what you said.

My point was that the people who made Pokémon Go didn't do their research and it clearly shows. Doesn't matter that the majority plays it responsibly, the amount of people who can get into bad situations through playing the game is significantly larger than a conventional game. Having it be played in the real world has distinct disadvantages and dangers the designers did not really bother looking into. The game also reeks of a platform that in a years time will have a massive in-app store ready to rip people off as quickly as possible, but that is just cynicism on my part founded only on trends with mobile games over the years; Pokémon Go hasn't done this so far.

LisztesFerenc

Quote from: Renegade Vile on August 12, 2016, 03:48:02 AM
The distinction is this, football (by the way, I realize you might have been referring to American Football, I assumed soccer, doesn't make a whole lot of difference, but apologies if I go on with soccer in the back of my head because I don't know anything about American Football or hooliganism in that sport) does not operate purely on the obsessions of people, while Pokémon Go's entire premise is: collect, collect, collect. That's an immediate targeting thereof.

Again, not really seeing a meaningful distinction. Football (European football not American) absolutely encourages by its nature the kind of behavior that leads to hooliganism. I generally don't blame a game for what a minority of its fans do.

Quote from: Renegade Vile on August 12, 2016, 03:48:02 AMAnd even if there was a contradiction, my point still remains that a lot of the criticism I read is directed against the game, not the player base, contrary to what you said.

Not quite. I said I didn't understand why people were putting the game's player base down. The fact that a lot of critisism YOU'VE read was directed at the developers doesn't change the fact that I'VE seen a lot of comments putting the whole player base down.

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: LisztesFerenc on August 12, 2016, 03:56:27 AM
... Football (European football not American) absolutely encourages by its nature the kind of behavior that leads to hooliganism. I generally don't blame a game for what a minority of its fans do.
Sorry, but either the sport attracts - by its very nature - a certain type of people or the sport is not to blame for the people it attracts. You can't have it both ways.
ONs, OFFs, and writing samples | Oath of the Drake

You can not value dreams according to the odds of their becoming true.
(Sonia Sotomayor)

LisztesFerenc

Quote from: Cassandra LeMay on August 12, 2016, 04:02:57 AM
Sorry, but either the sport attracts - by its very nature - a certain type of people or the sport is not to blame for the people it attracts. You can't have it both ways.

Sorry, allow me to clarify: Football absolutely encourages by its nature the kind of behavior that, in some people, leads to hooliganism, but does not in most cases. I didn't realize I had not made that clear to anyone reading. I absolutely disagree that if something by its nature attract a certain kind of people, then it must be blamed for that.

Renegade Vile

Quote from: LisztesFerenc on August 12, 2016, 03:56:27 AM
Not quite. I said I didn't understand why people were putting the game's player base down. The fact that a lot of critisism YOU'VE read was directed at the developers doesn't change the fact that I'VE seen a lot of comments putting the whole player base down.

But your entire first post made no mention of the fact that there are two sides to the coin. You just mentioned people putting the entire player base down. I'm making a point that I've seen a lot of people criticizing the game, including myself.

LisztesFerenc

Quote from: Renegade Vile on August 12, 2016, 05:10:44 AM
But your entire first post made no mention of the fact that there are two sides to the coin. You just mentioned people putting the entire player base down. I'm making a point that I've seen a lot of people criticizing the game, including myself.

My first sentence was "I don't get this dislike people have for Pokemon Go", not Pokemon Go players, so I did in fact mention it.

Renegade Vile

Quote from: LisztesFerenc on August 12, 2016, 05:15:51 AM
  My first sentence was "I don't get this dislike people have for Pokemon Go", not Pokemon Go players, so I did in fact mention it.

Alright then, so what was the point of the football comment?

LisztesFerenc

Quote from: Renegade Vile on August 12, 2016, 05:19:25 AM
Alright then, so what was the point of the football comment?

It was a comparison, as I previously said. Neither football the game, or the players as a whole, or the management is blamed for the small negative aspect of the fan base, and I was unable to see why pokemon go should be any different despite your insistence that it was.

Renegade Vile

Quote from: LisztesFerenc on August 12, 2016, 05:28:58 AM
  It was a comparison, as I previously said. Neither football the game, or the players as a whole, or the management is blamed for the small negative aspect of the fan base, and I was unable to see why pokemon go should be any different despite your insistence that it was.

Because it is a different beast, with different circumstances? And let me put it a different way, when I say "I blame the game" I am saying I blame the developers and the publishers behind the game, as my arguments pointed out. I really don't see how football is the same as a mobile app in this regard.