News:

Sarkat And Rian: Happily Ever After? [EX]
Congratulations shengami & FoxgirlJay for completing your RP!

Main Menu

FIFA World Cup

Started by MagicalPen, June 15, 2006, 10:54:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MagicalPen

Any fans other then me? I'm split between allegiance to my favorite teams' players (Arsenal) and my home counrty (England) though England does have a few Arsenal players. But my favorite player from Arsenal, Thierry Henry, plays for France along with some other big names, but they seem to not play well together. England hasnt played decisively yet...fluke goal saw them beat Paraguay.

I do like Ecuadors chances though...soundly beating Poland and Costa Rica. I think they'll beat Germany later this week. Brazil, of course, always a favorite. Any thoughts?

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Looking/Available for New Games

Lirliel

*Brings out the large dutch flag, "Holland!"* Where gonna pwn every team on the World Cup so hard :P

No but seriously, England has played badly in there first match. Fluke goal indeed...
Germany has got some greatness in my eyes, last night's match a real goody one.
Brazil I'm... nah... about Ronaldo with his fat arse running about the field *sighs*... how the mighty have fallen sometimes.
France is just 11 Big shots in one team and a lot of ego against eachother, which makes for a timebomb (remeber last WC?)

Holland might have a shot, if they beat Côte d'Ivoire tomorrow they would have an easy going against Argentina at least if they beat Serbia and Montenegro. Something I'm fairly sure there gonna do, lets cross fingers :(

Ps, It is a sight for sore eyes to see all the dutch coaches' teams winning :P Beenhakker, Advocaat, Hiddink and van Basten all getting to the World cup and winning the first matches :D
"Jealousy would be far less torturous if we understood that love is a passion entirely unrelated to our merits."

"A minute of perfection was worth the effort. A moment was the most you could ever expect from perfection."

Hokage

England all the way!!!!!!!

They won against Trinidad & Tobago

I was rooting for Poland but they lost sadly however that was a great game against Germany.

I aim to please

MagicalPen

Holland was unlucky to not win that draw against Australia in one of those last friendlies...clear handball in box on the ball sent to van Persie (yet another Arsenal player).

England werent very convincing today against TNT either...2 goals in last 10 mins to win it, but TNT was getting tired and unfortuneate not to score before the end of first half.

Germany...i honeslty think Ecuador will beat them. Their defense is pretty circumspect despite having Lehmann (another Arsenal player) in goal.

Theres a song in England about Ronaldo i think...something along the lines of:   "He's fat, his round, he's worth a million pounds" ...pounds being the money over there.

Italy will advance in their group along with the Czechs (who made the US look like a bunch of boys playing against men).

UPDATE: And look who just scored for Sweden...Freddie Ljunberg...an Arsenal player!

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Hokage

England wasn't palying that well but then whats that say about Trinidad, they couldn't even score a goal. But I have to say the put up a good fight, and the goal that they made but wasn't counted was very nice, very nice indeed.

I really hate all popular tv sports, I like to play them, but watching them bores me and it annoys me how much money they make. I think people who have hard jobs such as a garbage man etc should get paid more, but that just me ranting..... but I found myself loving watching the games. Yay!
I aim to please

MagicalPen

Trinidad did play well and were very unlucky not to score. France and England both need to wake up and play the fast style of play that their players are used to. Oh well....England and Sweden will progress.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Hokage

That Rooney guy on England seemed to be the only one that had that fast pacedness.

In the games I watched all the substitutes did amazingly for thier teams.
I aim to please

MagicalPen

That is true...Rooney got the fans back into it and set up some good plays. Subs today did very well...score 25% of the goals so far too i think.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

RogueJedi

I'm a fan.  Honestly the two teams I went into this cup supporting are the US and Australia.  Australia really cleaned up on Japan (who shouldn't have even had a goal).  Which brings me to referees... they need to send some of those idiots home in disgrace (like they did to Esse Baharmast in '98 when he was proven correct).  And I am a referee, so if I am badmouthing them, they are truly bad!

MagicalPen

Argentina dont have a problem scoring goals today  :o  5 - 0 last time i checked. Looks like they have a good chance at the World Cup this year. Given, they havent played a quality team yet (netherlands remains i think) but still pretty threatening looking. Speaking of the Dutch, they'll have a very interesting game against the Ivory Coast and Drogba (star striker) today. Should be the best game of the day, as the Mexico vs Angola game could be interesting, but nothing like the game before it.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

RogueJedi

Ghana scores less than 70 seconds into the match and holds on to defeat Czech Republic 2-0.  The Czechs looked pretty out of sorts today without their big man, Koller, up top.

The US was unlucky to only draw Italy, as they dominated the match (even when they were down to nine men versus Italy's ten).  And I wish that FIFA would review the referees more.  The Ivory Coast-Holland referee was pretty poor, giving cards where they were unwarranted.  But the referee of the Italy-USA game was the worst I have seen in a long time.  Frankly, as a referee, I feel some of these referees are giving all others a bad reputation.

MagicalPen

Well, the USA were very lucky to 'score' that goal...that Italian will be shooting himself in the foot. And i'm sure the Italians were paying that ref like the one in their last game  ;D  The first USA Red Card wasnt warranted though....yellow card tackle, not red. Didnt watch the second half (had to run out to do an errand) so didnt know they were down another.

The Czechs did have some scoring chances in the 2nd half- some brilliant saves by the Ghana goalie and Cech had some ones that kept them in the game too. Definately makes this group interesting, as no one is into the next round yet and everyone has a chance. The last game will surely be interesting.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

RogueJedi

Yes, but they called back a US goal late in the second half.  And he sent off Pope right at the start of the second half.  The referee had just returned from serving a four year suspension from FIFA for 'irregularities'.  So, honestly, I think he should be suspended again.

Well, I guess I just hope that the US beats Ghana and Italy can beat the Czechs.  That will put the US through to the next round.

Also, interestingly enough, I wonder if maybe Angola (who has looked very good) might progress on and Mexico goes home.  It is very possible.  Portugal looked good against Iran and Mexico found out how tough Angola was.

MagicalPen

Not sure if i agree with you on Portugal. The goal was a little lucky looking if you ask me..Deco wasnt expecting it to go in and it seemed to curl towards the end into the net. Iran had a few good chances too, but i would have expected Portugal to win rather easily to be honest. I wouldnt mind seeing Mexico going home, though i think it'll be a tough task.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

RogueJedi

Well, I do think that Portugal can beat Mexico.  And I think that Angola can defeat Iran, so we will see.  I am waiting how the Brazil group goes as well.  I honestly think it will be Australia and Brazil going on.  But Brazil didn't really impress me against Croatia.

Swedish Steel

The Sweden- England game is gonna start pretty soon. I'm rather nervous. Even though England haven't beaten us in 38 years (impressive, that) I think this might be the day they break that curse. Ugh, couldn't we just get a draw? :)
"Ah, no, not bukkake chef! Secret ingredient always same."

On Off page:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=5467.0

MagicalPen

Hate to break it to you, but the game doesnt even matter to the Brits. I wouldnt be suprised if they started their bench players. The fact that Rooney is starting suggests that they are getting their starters some rest and their backups some time. They're already through, so it depends on who they want to play - unless they dont care. Might be smarter to play safe, no injuries or cards. So if Sweden wins, i wouldnt be too suprised. But i think Rooney is still too good for that sort of thing to happen.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Swedish Steel

Pah, you Brits talk of Rooney like he's got celestial light coming out his arse. :)

On Off page:

Ellyssa

5-0 England. I'm calling it. :D

*hides from SS*

Swedish Steel

You don't need to hide, I'm tempted to agree with you...  :'(
0-1 to England and the Swedish team looks like they are asleep out there.

On Off page:

Swedish Steel

That Was The Best Game Ever. Seriously.

On Off page:

MagicalPen

Cant deny Rooney was good in that game. A few close calls right off the bat. Owen is done for the rest of the Tourney (i dont like him very much anyways). Not that it matters, but Ljunberg shouldnt have been yellow carded for that foul towards the end...and i'm glad to see Sol come back in and play a bit. Arsenal fan here :) pretty much every game has an Arsenal player or two in it. Ashley Cole couldnt have done anything on either Swedes goal - great game though!

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Swedish Steel

I guess today wasn't the day to end that 38 year dryspell, huh? But I've just found out we haven't won a game against Germany since 1958, so ouch.  :o

On Off page:

kylie

I like to watch some, but I'm not very faithful or interested in statistics.  I just root for whatever team I think is most interesting at the moment, or else the underdog (ideally one and the same).

They're also airing this stuff at like 3 in the morning where I am.  Good gawd.

I really enjoyed watching Ghana against the Czechs.  Sure, an early goal helps... but they played with so much energy, it just looked like they were having fun.  (In other cases: Sometimes I want to scream, it's a game people.  Get your arms back to the rest of your body and try to find the goal or something.) 

Perhaps I simply don't watch enough...  But often when I do watch the European teams they seem so mechanical. They pack up the defensive center and have these finely tuned slugfests there, but on a screen it all looks clogged.  Most times when the ball gets to the middle, the defense has so many more people around that nothing happens.  I'd also rather see the offense use the sidelines better and take a few *good* long shots (so many of those have gone to the moon so far).   If nothing else, make the four to six defenders spread out so it gets a little interesting, you know?

Sweden v. England was rather interesting.  I didn't catch it all, but seemed like the Swedes got the ball inside from the front corners a bit more than some so far.  Not to imagine the sweet-looking (if rather lucky?) goals. 

The US v Italy game...  well at least the US team seemed able to run at the end (does anyone play offensively in this game, though?).  Other than that, it was simply an hilarious match (except for the referee).  Skim the USA Today report if you haven't, just to relive a few of the laughs.  My thanks to the UK Guardian (who else) for pointing out that there is actually this much humor anywhere in the American mainstream media regarding anything to do with something American.
http://blogs.usatoday.com/soccersweep/2006/week24/index.html     
http://blogs.usatoday.com/soccersweep/2006/06/2nd_half_usa_1_.html 

MagicalPen

Well, the European teams have a different style of play (for the most part). Most of their players play for well known club teams (Real Madrid, Barcelona, Arsenal, Chelsea, and dare i say Juventus?) and the type of play tends to be very strong defensively. Look at Arsenal in the Champions league...broke the record for longest run of giving up no goals. And that was with a bunch of 18 - 20 year olds playing defence. Those same players also play in the World Cup. Now, i am an Arsenal fan if you hadnt picked up, so sorry for a biased opinion on some players.

Europeans play a mechanical, methodical game. They (like England for Example) rely on set pieces, or a string of passes to pick apart a defense. In the Premiership League, where many of this World Cup players play, the top three teams are known for their passing capabilites (Arsenal more so then the rest) which can result in fluid play that looks like artwork. It can cause defenders to get pulled out of position, or beaten with a quick one-two, or frees up room to make a through pass.

The Americas (lets just ignore the US, since they really do suck) have an entirely different style of play. Brazil, for instance, rely on pace and fancy moves and skills. You'll notice that those sort of countries (argentina too, mexico somewhat) are more offensively minded and have very little in the way of a big-name defenders.

The Africans are much the same way, going for finesse and speed. Unfortuneately for them, it usually doesnt work against a strong European team.

Think of it this way: Europeans go for a static, strong defense, with probing runs and passes and a method to picking apart a defense. A solid team makes this hard to do, which is where the skill of the individual comes in. The Americas rely on fast pace and skill to beat a defense, but what they have on offensive they usually lack in defense. Possesion is their best way to shut down an opponenet. The Africans are quick and rely on pure speed to beat defenders. This works often, though they dont always get a result. They tire out faster, which usually results in their game falling apart.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Ellyssa

Hrms. I watch it when I can to pass the time, though I hate it that one little kick (or not even then) and down go the players like they've broken a leg or three. Geez, the little bunch of sissies, nothing like hockey players where you get hit by a puck in the mouth, go off to get stitched, and are back on the field within five minutes! Freaking (and mainly South American) actors.

Been a soccer fan for years though, despite that. That being said though, interest has waned a lot since we moved over here and discovered the joys of ice hockey (but we lost yesterday :( ). Hm. I just watch to support the underdogs (I was very happy Zeus helped Greece win the Euro '04!), and some of the nicer-looking European teams. Anyone of them need a soccer wife, I wonder? ;)

kylie

Wait a minute...   The American team _has_ an offense?  Where?!  I missed it so far...  Heh.

I know, Europeans like to pretend soccer is chess...  I just think I enjoy watching the more fluid games.  Or at least teams that use more than the middle third of the field when the ball gets past midfield.  That was an info-packed post though, S.

I used to have more faithful viewing company and we would watch these late-nights of the British clubs.  Some of them did impress me  more than Europe in general. (I like pasta too, but some of the Italian clubs just make me shake my head.)  Arsenal seems to have real skill, much more than I've seen from ahem, Brazil so far... 

On that note...  Is this a particularly odd World Cup?  Or is it just that it's the first round.  Someone history-crazy cue me in.  So far we have, Italy and Czech each having difficulty with lower-ranked teams, Brazil winning but not performing awfully neatly against Australia, and _how many_ cards knocking people out for a game?  At least a couple goals and some near misses bouncing off defenders or sailing neatly between them at close range...  Is all this par for the course at this stage?

Swedish Steel

If you look at the last World Cup I think you'll find it was even stranger. Italy, France, Argentina and plenty of other top notch teams got eliminated by teams they should've been able to beat. I'm happy to say Sweden was the team that put the final nail in Argentina's coffin. :)

On Off page:

kylie

I rest my case.  The US has no offense...  At least, not in this game.

Though I have to feel at least a little sorry for the coach.  If one header had managed a little more inside spin and the referee hadn't been so impossible, it might have been different.  Still think he should have used his player roster better, though.  (And did I mention, build an offense.)

So, yeah, go Ghana.  They have better cheers and acrobatics, too :)

RogueJedi

The referee in the Australia match gave a Croatian player 3 yellow cards before sending him off.  That was hilarious, especially as the referee was one of the top referees from the EPL.  But Australia is through!  So I will cheer for them.

Swedish Steel

Cheer for Sweden. Looks like we'll need it. :)

On Off page:

RogueJedi

Ah, but I like Germany.  *smiles prettily*

MagicalPen

ENGLAND ENGLAND. I always thought refs wrote down who they card - i guess he must have forgotten. Glad the USA didnt get through - at least one bad team didnt make it! Some of the matchups should be interesting..>England v Ghana for instance. Sad to see the Czechs go too, but glad to see the US lose.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

kylie

I gotta give Germany some credit.  Controlled the midfield, took the long shots. 

Sweden at least tried a few attacks, but...  I tend to raise eyebrows at teams that get down a point or two and never seem to organize consistent offensive momentum after that.  Not that they're the only ones.  Hardly.  I just think you have to take a few more risks if you hope to catch up. 

Still have this little itching wish that Ghana might beat Brazil.  Silly? 

Swedish Steel

Pretty hard to come back from a 2-0 disadvantage against a team like Germany. Especially if you get one player sent of the field (that was a really cheap red card by the way).

On Off page:

kylie

Yeah, I tend to think the refs have been a little terrible too. 

They finished the US off, if everything else wouldn't have anyway. 

I'm also not sure about this offsides cancelling the Argentina goal just before overtime.  The Guardian said "onsides by a mile," or something to that effect... 

MagicalPen

Its easy to see Off/Onsides on a reply, its a little harder in real time. Ref has to be looking at the players and judge when ball gets played out of corner of eye...if indoubt, he should let play go on. And what about that goal that was offside (ref raised flag) but head ref didnt stop play even though all but the attacking players had stopped too.

Should be good games tomorrow! Unfortuneately, i will be on a plane headed home for the better of the two games...the Spain vs. Netherlands game.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Lirliel

Erm... where playing against Portugal not Spain (Thank god!)

But the entire competition has been fun, really nice games going. Just dinnae catch the last bit of the argentina vs Mexico game, anyone know the score?
"Jealousy would be far less torturous if we understood that love is a passion entirely unrelated to our merits."

"A minute of perfection was worth the effort. A moment was the most you could ever expect from perfection."

Hannibal

Quote from: Silvestine on June 22, 2006, 11:25:04 PM
ENGLAND ENGLAND. I always thought refs wrote down who they card - i guess he must have forgotten. Glad the USA didnt get through - at least one bad team didnt make it! Some of the matchups should be interesting..>England v Ghana for instance. Sad to see the Czechs go too, but glad to see the US lose.

Apparently he wrote down the No. 3 for Australia (Craig Moore) instead of Croatia for one of the yellow cards. Looks like Poll got off lightly because if he had given Craig Moore a yellow card he would have sent him wrongly as well as leaving a extra Croatian player on the pitch!
Happiness is a choice!

Ons and Offs: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=5492.0

MagicalPen

2 - 1 at end of OT in Argentina game. GREAT goal!

England won 1 - 0, though if not for Ashley Cole the score would have been different! Terry didnt look himself today - slow and couldnt head the ball - but luckily, the only thing Beckham did today was score.

I'll be on a plane for the Nether/Port game...should be a great one and unless its a battle to the death, england wont beat the winner.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Swedish Steel

I regret I didn't see the Holland-Portugal game. I hear it was pretty brutal.

On Off page:

kylie

*laughs*  I fell asleep near the end of England-Ecuador, and only woke up for like the last 15 min. of Netherlands-Portugal.  Too dog-gone early in the morning.

Really suspicious of the referees.  I know an offsides is easy to misjudge...  But the Guardian commentator was going off about them being "clowns" (with the implication of yet again. more or less) in that last game.  Apparently four red cards in one game is a record.

kylie

Italy-Australia, coming up on 80 min.  Aren't teams supposed to be able to score at this level?   >:(

I want some surprises (besides the red cards) already...  Again, go Ghana.

kylie

Well, at least it was a real neat penalty kick...  After all the not so neat wrestling out there. 

Apple of Eris

I can't believe that was the first card. There should have been at least two others. (Swiss/Ukraine game)
Men are those creatures with two legs and eight hands.  ~Jayne Mansfield
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, then call whatever you hit the target. ~Ashleigh Brilliant

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

Lirliel

Neat.. neat the entire match was bogus, the Italian dude tripped on purpose! Fuck them! Moronic tournament, what a bunch of utter crap!

Apple of Eris

But... but I love football. It and ice hockey are the only sports I enjoy! :'(
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, then call whatever you hit the target. ~Ashleigh Brilliant

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

Lirliel

Might be.. but I'm really dissapointed with the entire tournament.. *le sigh*... Atleast Ice Hockey's true about where it's allegiances are (Hitting other people with big wooden sticks) :P

Apple of Eris

But football has few commercials (and none during play), which on american tv is a rare thing.

Though I have been disappointed with the oficiating overall, and the fact that Trinidad got eliminated

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

Lirliel

Yeah... Shame Beenhakker got cut out :( (Trinidad's trainer ;))

Even if it does have but a few commericals on tv.. the entire matches where crap. Last day's match Holland Vs Portugal 16! Yellow cards and four reds.. WTF! Was this guy trying to play fucking solitaire!

Apple of Eris

I was starting to wonder if the game would end up GK vs GK.

Plus the Trinidad/England game was really good, and I enjoyed every germany game so far. It hasn't been all bad.

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

Swedish Steel

The Sweden England game was pretty great aswell. Four goals.

On Off page:

Apple of Eris

Uh-oh... no score after OT, penalty kick time!

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

RogueJedi

I've been saying it all tournament long.  As a state referee (in Virginia) trying to move to National within the next two years, the referees in this World Cup suck!

The Russian ref for Portugal v. Holland was atrocious.  I haven't heard anyone whatsoever have a good thing to say about the quality of refereeing in that game.  But at least that game had a legitimate conclusion determined by play (even if I didn't like it).  Portugal did manage to score without assistance from the referee.

The referee for the Australia v. Italy game though.  I do not know what posseses a referee to make a PK call in the last ten seconds of a tied game, especially when it is such a soft foul.  Give me a break, he just handed the game to the Italians instead of letting the players determine the outcome.  And Italy proves once again that they are the kings of diving.

Apple of Eris

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

kylie

Quote from: RogueJedi on June 26, 2006, 04:35:17 PM

I haven't heard anyone whatsoever have a good thing to say about the quality of refereeing in that game.  [Portugal]

I'm not sure these are the sort of comments that you would count in your tally.  But, there are some apparent sympathizers.

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/worldcup06/2006/06/26/fifa_is_to_blame_for_last_nigh.html

The Italy foul: I only got to see the replay twice, and I'd rather see it more closely.  From what little I did see, I rather had the impression the Italian attacker was snagged by the defender's legs.  I'm not real positive, but at least I see how someone could call that way.

Or... maybe you suppose he was just trying to make up for the offsides call that let Argentina/Mexico go into overtime? ;)

Apple of Eris

In all fairnes, I think it WAS a foul, and most commentators seem to agree. However most say that it wasn't a major enough foul to warrant a penalty kick with like 3 seonds left.

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

kylie

I don't get it.  Isn't a foul in the box... just that?

Apple of Eris

Yeah, but they seemed to be saying even though it was a foul, the ref should have let it slide.

I don't really have an opinion on it. I mean, a foul is a foul and I suppose all fouls should be called the same, but I can see what the commentators were saying in that, with so little time left and such a huge game on the line, let it slide and let the players decide the game in OT.

Makes little difference to me.

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

RogueJedi

As I was saying, referees are supposed to call the game by the Spirit of the Laws.  That means based off of the developing situation.  Esse Baharmast, retired FIFA referee and Director of Officials for USSF, has told referees here numerous times that the referee should NEVER put himself/herself into a position to determine the outcome of the game.

It might have been a foul, but the only way you should call that is if you have been calling EVERYTHING.

That is my opinion as an official.

kylie

I dunno.  I think the ref would have been about equally culpable in that situation regardless of which call he made.  So he might as well at least try to call it accurately.

If he hadn't called the foul it would have been what...  One Australian attacker against the goalkeeper and perhaps one very desperate fullback?  Granted the angle of the shot would not have been so ideal.  But it might very well have resulted in a last-minute goal for Australia, instead of a last minute goal for Italy.  And penalty kicks are not guaranteed goals, either.

kylie

Rats.  I was enjoying the short, stylish reign of Ghana.  Now I can't decide who to cheer for. 

Brazil, just because they're not European?  Heh.  But they're so skilled it kinda disrupts any underdog appeal.

Any plugs?

Apple of Eris

Germany now since part of my family is from there, and because every other team I cheered for in this round, LOST! I am a total jinx.

So basically out of 8 teams I backed in the round of 16, only 1 of those teams won. I must have done some majorly bad karmic stuff.

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

Ellyssa

I know what you mean, apple. :( Damned lousy referees.. and just about all the underdogs gone. Don't like Brazil myself, South Americans all love to dive ;D Italy's not far behind either, would love to see them get pummeled. Faster they go out the better. Never liked France. Damned Quebec separatists. *hammer emoticon*

Probably going England here, though they're going out soon enough anyway. Who's the biggest underdog left? Swiss? Been a horrid World Cup for me! Yeah, sure, let Germany take it all. :)

Apple of Eris

Probably Ukraine, they beat the swiss on kicks the other day.

Switzerland, another tam I was backing - another team that lost

Damn those ukranians and their nasty looking haircuts!

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

Ellyssa

Oh, right, that's what I meant. :D Not Swiss, mutter. Oh well. My boss's Ukrainian, anyway. Although he was bleeding Oilers through the World Cup. :) [We love in Edmonton *weep*] </derail>

kylie

I'm sort of imagining it comes down to Germany v. Brazil. 

There, let's see how badly that can mix this thing up ;)

I might feel more sympathetic to Italy, England, or Portugal if they beefed up a bit...

Swedish Steel

Argh, no, never Italy! Bunch of sissy divas the lot of them, and they play so ugly you wouldn't belive it. I swear they train how to take a dive for hours at end, sometimes they fall over and writher in pain if someone even look at them in the penalty box.

On Off page:

kylie

I don't care for excessive diving either, but I have that problem with a lot of teams.

Was just under the impression that Italy can play much better than it's shown so far...  Perhaps does not apply this year, I dunno.

Apple of Eris

I just realized, only 7 countries have ever won the world cup.

Germany won it 3 times and has appeared in the finals 8 times (or was it 9?). We need this win! We have to catch up to Brazil!

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

Swedish Steel

On Off page:

Apple of Eris

We are we! The team and its devoted fans, those who will weep and wail, and eat pints of ice cream in depression should they lose.

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

kylie

I'm guessing that means Germany?

Although I didn't realize Germans were so crazy about ice cream, typically?  Hmph.

Hopefully Germany-Argentina will at least be interesting.  I like some excitement after staying up ;)

Apple of Eris

Hey hey, I'm only half german.
Half german, half russian, american citizen. It's all so confusing.

Anyway, if they do lose, and I eat a pint of ben and jerrys in my depression, that will mean at least an hour on the elliptical machine to burn those calories, and I don't want to do that. So they had better not lose. (those german players better be listening)

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

Swedish Steel

How long would one have to have sex to burn that off I wonder? If I can that is my training of choice.

On Off page:

Apple of Eris

Well, according to some chart or other, it said sex only burned like 13 calories per somthing or other (not minutes, like half hor or hour). My first reaction was, did they test turtles? But hey, nothing wrong with sex as part of a good cool down routine :)

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

kylie

I've seen giant turtles having sex. 

I didn't get a meter on them or anything, but it looked like a lot of work.  Lots of weight to keep elevated.

My internal calendar has been off all day...  I have to wait another day to see if Germany advances or Argentina buffs up the attack. 
Sigh...  Impatient.

MagicalPen

Germany will lose to Argentina. England has a shot against against Portugal  with those two Portugese suspensions. Italy will beat the Ukraine. The Brazil vs France game will probably be the most fun to watch if you ask me. For the Final, i think it will be Argentina vs whoever wins Brazil/France match. I cant see the Italians beating Argentina in the following round, unless they pay off the refs again, and England/Portugal winner wont beat the France/Brazil winner either.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Apple of Eris

You hush! Germany can beat Argentina, but it should be a good game.

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

Swedish Steel

If France stands a chance against Brazil I will be extremely suprised. True, Brazil hasn't really impressed, but when was the last time France was impressive? Brazil should be able to take them even with half their players sleeping on the field.

On Off page:

MagicalPen

I dont know about that- France played pretty well against Spain - i would have thought Spain would have won that game. As it was, their only goal came on a PK while all three of Frances were in play. True, i think France needs to make some changes (getting rid of Ribery for instance) and play a more fast-paced games to use the likes of Henry to their best ability (and he is always dangerous).

The Argentinians so far have been the most impressive, and the depth they have on their bench with the likes of Messi can prove costly to the opposing team late in the game.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Swedish Steel

I actually missed the France-Spain game. They were actually good? Unbelievable. :)

On Off page:

Apple of Eris

I thought spain looked better most of the game, but they coldn't finish. France capitalized on their chances unlike spain, and in the end, that's what matters. :)

But don't discount Germany. Argentina has a good team, true, but the Germans are young and an attacking squad. Also, if they can keep the ball up, their height gives them an advantage over Argentina. Should be a great game either way though.

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

MagicalPen

The Germans havent scored many goals with their heads this year, and their defence isnt anything special. It might be a fast paced game - attack and counterattack by both teams, but i still think Argentina will come out on top.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Apple of Eris

Their defense has been pretty good. They only gave up 2 goals total so far in the tournament, same as Argentina. Both teams scored a total of ten goals so far in the tournament (Arg got six against Serbia/Monte, Ger got 4 against Costa Rica). I'd say they're fairly evenly matched and this will come down to who can control the ball better, make less mistakes, and of course, some dumb luck.

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

MagicalPen

But Germany hasnt played a team worth-a-damn yet. Giving up 2 goals to a team like Costa Rica isnt something to be proud about either. I think those were the only 2 goals Costa Rica scored in the whole tournament. Germany will get a nice wake-up call against Argentina - Lehmann is going to have to compensate for their defense, though Klause and the Forwards will have their work cut out for them keeping up in scoring. I think it will be an interesting match, especially since Germany will have to rise to the occasion or face elimination.

One thing i find odd, is how good the host-country does every year. The only time England won the Cup was when they hosted it. The only time Mexico made it into the Quarter Finals was when they hosted it, Korea did extremely well too when they hosted.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Apple of Eris

Yes, but Germany trounced Sweden 2-0, while Argentina barely squeaked past a Mexico that as far as I could tell, didn't have much desire to play defense, ever. And as for Genmany's defenders, they have one of the best in Mertesacker, according to an article on the FIFA website, he's won 80% of one on one challenges, the best percentage in the tournament. That's pretty damn good.

And look at the other stats: As afr as cards, they're pretty much even (arg has had 3 more cards so far this tournament), tackles (GER 130, ARG 105). They're pretty evenly matched here.

I'd say, either way, its gonna be a great game. Can't wait till tomorrow and you have to eat yoru words!  ;)

EDIT: Had the wrong name there, duh!

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

Swedish Steel

Bah, trounced. I still maintain we could have given you a fight, even at 2-0,  if it hadn't been for that rather unfair red card. :)

On Off page:

Apple of Eris

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

Swedish Steel

Quiet you! I will have to punish you later.  :)

On Off page:

Apple of Eris

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

Swedish Steel

On Off page:

Apple of Eris

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSS!!!!!
GERMANY WINS!!!!

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

Swedish Steel

Congrats, sweetie. I didn't think they would do it actually. :)

On Off page:

kylie

I was starting to wonder. 

I gave both the German offense and the Argentine defense too little credit, at the beginning.

What was up with Argentina subbing out the biggest names?  Simple fatigue?  Desperate gamble?  I know the goalie sub was a big deal, but the ABC commentary kept lashing them for gutting their offense in the process of compensating.

kylie

Oh yeah... 

And whatever was the little scuffle at the end of the Argentina-Germany game about?

MagicalPen

Supposedly one of the Argentinian Subs stepped on one of the Germans, and they tried to intimidate one of the other Germans before he took the game winning PK making gestures that meant they were going to attack. So the assitant coach of Germany stepped in to avoid further conflict or something..

So how about my predictions of a great France/Brazil game? And lookie who scored the game winner - Thierry Henry! Pretty nice goal if you ask me, looks like the Brazilian defense forgot to pick up one of the most dangerous strikers in the world...

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Swedish Steel

Yeah, it was a great goal, and a suprising outcome. Makes me happy though, if Brazil had won gold again, it would've been a bit boring.
Only European teams left now. And Rooney should know it's not nice to step on a guys nuts, those are not the balls he should be concerned with. A well deserved red card.

On Off page:

Apple of Eris

Twoo good games, though I thought Portugal played pretty poorly for having a man up for so long.

Rooney is a tool. Good red card and I was happy to see him tossed.

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

RogueJedi

Rooney has always been a spoiled little hack.  Good riddance to him.  And good riddane to Sven!  Really, he should have done a lot more with his tactics.  English players are used to a 4-4-2, and so he decides to use a 4-5-1?  Idiot.

And why only 4 strikers?  You know someone could get hurt in the Cup...

But in all honesty, Ricardo deserves alot of credit for the Portugese win.  Saving three PKs is never easy.

I pick Germany over Italy and Portugal over France in the semis.  Germany over Portugal in the final.

kylie

Heh.

France or Italy, and we're all so excited?

kylie

Or perhaps everyone is sitting here in shock saying, how did it come down to these two after their early peformances were so much weaker?

I'm sort of wondering if I should cheer for France.  Do they dive less than Italy?  *laughs*  And I didn't see much of their earlier playing, but their repute is sort of "coming back" for this tournament I hear...

Swedish Steel

I will be cheering for France, imagine that. I hate Italy (or rather their team), they seem to dive the most and are always so quick to blame others for their own failings.

On Off page:

kylie

Heh.  Well that drew lots of commentary.

I for one was under-impressed.  Just too many dubious refs, dives, and teams without an apparent plan of attack.

I'd like to see more African teams.  Ghana should've had a moral victory take them to at least the next round.
They may not have the Sicilian defense or whatever the Italians call it, but they played hard and were all around more interesting for me to watch than many.  Including ahem, Brazil.

At least the final wasn't totally scoreless.  But I didn't think Italy deserved to win it.  And certainly not by someone pinching Zidane's nipple to get him upset and booted if that is part of what happened there.  That's what the Guardian claimed...  American media wouldn't tell us, even if it were obvious in the middle of the replay.  They'd probably censor it. 

Better luck next time?

Swedish Steel

I hated to see Zidane be sent off like that, I've always liked him and I were cheering for France. Apperantly Materazzi insulted his mother and sister several times during the game, calling them terrorist whores and stuff like that until Zidane finally snapped. If it is true I think Materazzi also should be punished, that sort of things does not belong in a game of football.

On Off page:

kylie

Just curious, but is there some particular connection between Zidane and Muslim radicalism? 

(By which I do not mean to say terrorism, that's about as useful as screaming "pornography" in my book even if it were true -- but radicalism could be philosophy more than action, in any case).

Lirliel

kylie

*rolls eyes*  That's it?

And here I thought that would be more of an issue _inside_ France...  See what little I know.