Game of Thrones (custom ruled Pathfinder)

Started by Zaer Darkwail, January 01, 2014, 09:25:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chaoslord29

Quote from: Rhaegar14 on January 09, 2014, 01:55:53 PM
Sun Metal (Transmutation) and Divine Favor (Evocation). These are both perfectly reasonable spells for a Red Priest to be casting that blanket bans on these two schools would eliminate.

Thoros uses wildfire before he joins up with the Brotherhood Without Banners. My memory may be a little hazy (it's been a while), but I'm pretty sure before the trial by combat with you-know-who Beric just offers a prayer to R'hllor and his sword bursts into flames.

While that's true, in a setting without Dispel Magic and Detect Magic (which I believe have absolutely NO place in a GoT game), you can really leave what exactly magic entails as pretty ambiguous.
Divine Favor is Evocation? I thought that was a Divination or Transmutation spell for sure.

Sun Metal I have a problem with but to refute it I would need to engage in major spoilers, but in the case of Beric's flaming sword during said combat, the weapon is scorched and useless afterward.
My Guiding Light-
'I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.'- Lord Havelock Vetinari
My ideas and O/Os:Darker Tastes and Tales

RubySlippers

Quote from: kckolbe on January 09, 2014, 10:52:06 AM
While a level cap of 6 is a fine idea, it doesn't address the magic issue, as a level 5 character could still do amazing things.  Balance-wise, there is no issue with it, but setting wise it is a problem.  I think the only fair way is probably to make casters cross class with non magic classes and let them have two favored classes.

Simple fix bump casting times up one step an instant power or spell takes a round, a 1 round spell a minute etc. so a fireball takes serious time to cast say 10 rounds then see how popular the spell is.

TheHangedOne

What Ruby says makes sense. Plus, aren't there spell components? Those, themselves, might be hard to get your hands on, too.
A&A's and O&O's *Status: Here and there | Games: Aiming for punctuality*
"In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends."
"In the ocean of knowledge, only those who want to learn will see the land."
"Before you roar, please take a deep breath."
Check out my poet tree!

Inerrant Lust

Haven't read the whole thread but you can count me interested. My inclination would be only to play a GoT game that did not take place during the timeline of the novels. Perhaps something only vaguely referenced (The dance of dragons- a Targaryen civil war decades before the novels? Maybe Aegon's conquest)

In any event, I think I would like to play a Red Priest. I would be willing to homebrew the class, even. Ideas;

Prophecy; See things in the flames.. Poss grant divine bonuses to anyone who acts out the prophecy. e.g; in the flames, I see a silver haired knight behead a black-armored man. Anyone silver-haired (even in other plot lines) who fights such a black armored figure might get a +2 bonus to all rolls. Only a limited number of prophecies can be active at a time. Stronger or more general prophecies might just come from the GM, e.g. A river turns to flame- a lion and a wolf bow to a stag after killing a dragon, ect.
Lighting a sword on fire
Keeping warm in cold climes
Limited wish-like abilities with the right blood...
And other spoilerific things

But I think I would just have a character that focuses on those prophecies, perhaps getting involved in the other distant characters...

Zaer Darkwail

I am fine extending all spells (not just cure) have 1 round = 1 minute and 1 minute = 1 hour and 1 hour = 1 day spellcasting wise. Spellcasting components are also issue and not found with every merchant; you would likely hunt those yourself or assign servants to do so (if noble born sorceress). Also reason for non-wizards is obvious as they would have hard time finding any spell scrolls.

Laughing Hyena

Well I am stumped so i am going to back out respectably since I cannot come up with anything. Enjoy the Game my friends. ^_^

Zaer Darkwail

Sad to hear that Hyena  :-\

Anyways here is OOC and the Charsheet areas. Post there who all have their chars names listed in first post.

RubySlippers

Rhaegar14

The material component thing is mostly irrelevant. Wizards aren't allowed, divine casters use divine foci instead of cost-negligible material components, and Sorcerers get Eschew Materials as a bonus feat at level 1.

So is there a time extension on spells that normally take less than a full round?
Pretty much scrapped my signature because everything in it is hilariously out of date. I might work on fixing that eventually.

RubySlippers

Quote from: Rhaegar14 on January 10, 2014, 04:16:44 PM
The material component thing is mostly irrelevant. Wizards aren't allowed, divine casters use divine foci instead of cost-negligible material components, and Sorcerers get Eschew Materials as a bonus feat at level 1.

So is there a time extension on spells that normally take less than a full round?

The GM can add anything they wish its their game, and they can remove that Sorcerer feat from the game completely which I'm recommending replace it with Skill Focus - Concentration perhaps. And add material components for clerical magic I suggest Holy Oil at a basic one to more exotic for mightier spells of 3rd level plus.

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: Rhaegar14 on January 10, 2014, 04:16:44 PM

I clarify; any spell which takes standard action is now 1 minute.
Full round action spells = 1 hour.
1 minute or similar casting time; 1 day per minute (so 10 minutes = 10 days).

A spell which is swift or free action take still same amount of spell (as some swift spells last 1 round only or until end of round). But quicken spell feat now mostly reduces time needed by one factor (so 1 minute spells become standard action spells).

Also some divine spells ask material components, and there is no skill focus:concentration. I would keep the eschew materials on sorcerers as it would enforce them a feat tax.

Laughing Hyena

Actually again I flip flop. I finally got struck by inspiration and shall be playing a Stark Warrior. I apologize for my tardiness for not getting my ass in gear but now I feel ready for it. ^_^

Sides Stark seems like the hard mode of the game.

RubySlippers

I decided not to play with available magical healing I don't see the point.

Zaer Darkwail

The magical healing would be rare, at best only PC's (and perhaps one or two NPC) can provide magical healing. Most healing is done by the medical herbs and such. Also to healing arts involve lot more than just 'cure HP'. Cure disease, birthing process, birth control etc.

Rhaegar14

Well since my character idea just got neutered hard, I'll be looking at other options. Zaer, will you be allowing content from the Advanced Class Guide playtest by chance?

Also, if I played a Ranger, would I still be fine to take Humanoid (Human) as a favored enemy?
Pretty much scrapped my signature because everything in it is hilariously out of date. I might work on fixing that eventually.

Laughing Hyena

Hmm anyone else wanna give me a hand please? I need someone to talk to over Skype or AiM so I can get in on this.

TheHangedOne

I guess I'm not gonna play, either, because now my idea is pretty much unplayable.
A&A's and O&O's *Status: Here and there | Games: Aiming for punctuality*
"In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends."
"In the ocean of knowledge, only those who want to learn will see the land."
"Before you roar, please take a deep breath."
Check out my poet tree!

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: TheHangedMan on January 13, 2014, 09:10:08 AM
I guess I'm not gonna play, either, because now my idea is pretty much unplayable.

Well, I could make a NPC who fits onto profile of your char's background.

Quote from: Rhaegar14 on January 12, 2014, 11:23:50 PM
Well since my character idea just got neutered hard, I'll be looking at other options. Zaer, will you be allowing content from the Advanced Class Guide playtest by chance?

Also, if I played a Ranger, would I still be fine to take Humanoid (Human) as a favored enemy?

I unlikely allow advanced class guide stuff atm so stick more regular stuff if possible. Anyways favored enemy [human] is allowed for rangers.

Rhaegar14

Darn, no Slayer for me then. Crunch will come a bit later, but I've already worked out enough of that in my head that I can whip it out in a couple minutes. Mechanically, this character will be a Ranger who switches back and forth between a bow and a two-handed melee weapon as needed in combat.

He (or possibly she, haven't fully decided yet) will be a scout employed in the army by one of the major houses. Trouble is, I have no idea where to put him, since there's pretty much one character in every region. A Lannister scout could have an entertaining run-in with Faeli's bandit clan. The North would have no shortage of woodsmen; he'd fit right in there. Or he could end up working beside Nivek in the Reach (though two archers in the same group could end up pretty lame), or wherever Vanduen ends up looking for mercenary work. Does anybody have a suggestion?

EDIT: Here's a profile.

Davek of Lannisport
Biography: Davek's family comes from one of the numerous, small villages near Lannisport that provides crops and other services to the bustling city. As a child, Davek's father taught him how to hunt, gather, and live off the land. It was a meager existence, but not without its simple joys. Still, Davek sought more from life, and as a young man journeyed to the city to seek his fortune. With his talents, Davek joined the guard and quickly showed himself to be well-suited to wilderness patrols, frequently working alone. Though he was never well-known or renowned, Davek's pay as part of the guard afforded him a better life than he had ever possessed as a simple hunter. Davek has a strong sense of duty, as well as a fierce, though somewhat unfounded, loyalty to his superiors in the city guard (and ultimately House Lannister).

That's a basic outline, though I will probably add to it if ideas come to me. I'm out of town until Sunday night though, so I won't be able to do anything else about it until later.

Rhaegar14

Zaer Darkwail

Looks good, kckolbe has also withdrawn, it makes me sad panda :(. Could not figure archtype which allows sportman shooting but have ranger's superior saves and skill points. I had suggested him go figther who just have some ranger skills.

Rhaegar14

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on January 16, 2014, 05:32:39 AM
Looks good, kckolbe has also withdrawn, it makes me sad panda :(. Could not figure archtype which allows sportman shooting but have ranger's superior saves and skill points. I had suggested him go figther who just have some ranger skills.

Rangers are much, much better archers than Fighters in a setting like GoT where two types of favored enemy (human and animal) will cover everything you ever fight. The main reason is that Rangers don't have to qualify for their combat style feats. So with 13 Dexterity and their bonus feats they can take every archery feat they could want, then pump Strength for damage with composite bows and thrown weapons, relying on a high base attack and favored enemy bonuses for accuracy. The side benefit is that anybody with a good Strength score and Power Attack will hit hard with a two-handed weapon.

Edit: On another note, I'm vacationing in Costa Rica and won't be able to start posting until Sunday night after I get home at the very earliest.

Ascia

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on January 09, 2014, 09:59:29 AM

Red Priests are those 'rare' true magic practitioners in Westeros.

I'm only chiming in because I see the setting being misread. (System games scare me.)

Depending on when during the timeline of Westeros the game is set, it's entirely possible a hedge wizard, a Valyrian linked Maester, or even a woods witch could produce some sort of minor magic healing. You know, since Red Priests are rarely seen in Westeros, and often times met with suspicion if not outright prejudice when they are spotted in Westeros.

Of course if the game is set after 137 AL, it's also possible no one has magic. Including most of the Red Priests.

Zaer Darkwail

Ah, thanks for confirm Ascia. Anyways if magic overall is very damn rare during HBO television series (which is after Roberta's Rebellion era) era, then better could be ban all magic using classes entirely for simplicity than make complex house rules around it.

Rhaegar14

It's... complicated. Magic has largely left the world at the beginning of the series, but the birth of Dany's dragons heralds its return. Many practitioners of magic start to notice that they're getting more powerful (for example, Thoros of Myr, a heathen of a Red Priest who barely even believed in his own god before he suddenly had magic powers at the beginning of book/season two) as the story progresses.