News:

Main Menu

Science Fiction

Started by GloomCookie, February 06, 2024, 05:29:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GloomCookie

Books or movies, what are you enjoying right now? And what is your favorite of all time?

I'm in between series right now, but I used to be super into David Weber's Honorverse series but holy hell, that man loves the word "Um". I swear, every other sentence uttered by ANYONE included "Um". I even remember a few times that was the only thing they said. WHY?! WHY DO YOU DO THIS TO ME WEBER!

But otherwise good world building.
My DeviantArt

Ons and Offs Updated 9 October 2022

Lilias

I'm not nearly as much into pure sci-fi as I used to be, so it's always a pleasant surprise to find something I really like. We recently watched the entirety of Babylon 5 again (long-overdue Blu-ray release), and I enjoyed it as much as I had 25 years ago. The Expanse took its time drawing me in, but boy did it even. I definitely recommend Defiance, if you catch some network showing it. I drifted away from Killjoys after season 3, but it was great fun until then. And I'm still salty that Dark Matter and V were cancelled.

Book-wise, I love Rabia Gale's brand of science-fantasy in Taurin's Chosen (Mourning Cloak and Ironhand). I hope she goes back to that 'verse at some point. The Nothing Is Promised series by Susan Kaye Quinn (4 books) is a great intro to solarpunk, and the lunarpunk anthology Bioluminescence is made of awesome.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Mar 30) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Muse

Solarpunk and Lunarpunk?  I've never heard of these.  Could you please enlighten me?  
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Lilias

To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Mar 30) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Kelindel

Quote from: Lilias on February 06, 2024, 05:50:22 AMI'm not nearly as much into pure sci-fi as I used to be, so it's always a pleasant surprise to find something I really like. We recently watched the entirety of Babylon 5 again (long-overdue Blu-ray release), and I enjoyed it as much as I had 25 years ago. The Expanse took its time drawing me in, but boy did it even. I definitely recommend Defiance, if you catch some network showing it. I drifted away from Killjoys after season 3, but it was great fun until then. And I'm still salty that Dark Matter and V were cancelled.

Book-wise, I love Rabia Gale's brand of science-fantasy in Taurin's Chosen (Mourning Cloak and Ironhand). I hope she goes back to that 'verse at some point. The Nothing Is Promised series by Susan Kaye Quinn (4 books) is a great intro to solarpunk, and the lunarpunk anthology Bioluminescence is made of awesome.
I just want to echo The Expanse. While it's not perfect in it's science representation as they do make concessions for the fact that it is science fiction. They do do a lot to try and portray a lot of things more accurately than a lot of science fiction. Like the reverse burns to slow down, that they use control panels for steering/controls rather than joy sticks (as joy sticks with the g forces would be hideously unrealistic) and their representation of hull breeches and fire in zero g and so much more is so much more realistic than other shows. And beyond that the show just has such an interesting storyline and goes through different distinct phases and styles that keep it interesting and dynamic. I think it is my favorite sci fi show.

midnightblack

Quote from: GloomCookie on February 06, 2024, 05:29:42 AMBooks or movies, what are you enjoying right now? And what is your favorite of all time?

No surprises here for me. The favorite film is Alien from 1979, even though there is a lot to nitpick about it. But nothing has ever come close to its mystery and charm, aside of The Thing as an honorary mention. The age of such films is done and gone and I don't think it will be coming back in my lifetime. The book is Blindsight by Peter Watts. It is the one and only book I've been rereading every year since I've discovered it. It's an extremely tough read the first time around, but that man knew exactly what he was doing. Or at any rate, something inside him did. Gives me the chills just thinking about it.

PS: As The Expanse has been mentioned, I want to say that I really liked the show, but in most respects the books were a lot better. For what it's worth, I'd certainly recommend reading the novels before watching the series.

The Midnight Lodge (O2 thread & completed tales compendium)
Thy Nightly Chambers (requests) updated!
Amazonia Mythos (world-building details for some of my recurring themes and characters; can always serve as a starting point for discussions of collaborative writing)
Zerzura (albeit short, the best collaborative story I've ever completed here)

RperSeeker69

It is hard to tell really with me where science fiction begins and where it ends. I grew up on Star Wars and Star Trek. To this day as it stands I have seen every single Star Wars movie, yes even the dreaded sequel films 7,8, and 9. I have also seen every single Star Trek film and far as series go I have seen most every single Star Trek known as well as Star Wars itself. Others include the first several Alien films, Robocop, alien nation, starship troopers, alien mine, the battlestar galactica reboot, honestly the list can go on.

I have also played science fiction video games from Mass Effect to Xenosaga and Honkai Star Rail. I've also read a number of sicence fiction novels which also stem from star wars and star trek, heh. Far as science fiction Manga I think Edens Zero is p there. And before you start yeah I know fantasy is thrown into star wars.