Way of the Wicked (System Game, Pathfinder, Adventure Path) -- CLOSED

Started by Anon315, May 27, 2014, 07:51:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zaer Darkwail

Yeah, but in PBP people do disappear, become busy or disappear so good to have said people on waiting list and on lurking status in the game.

Or as suggested before you take all players in but some must volunteer work as co-GM's to run encounters and events for other players (not those belonging to group where their PC belongs to). After all organization may have multiple goals in multiple fronts, one assassination mission, one kidnap mission, one monster recruitment etc.

Blinkin

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on June 03, 2014, 04:18:18 PM
Yeah, but in PBP people do disappear, become busy or disappear so good to have said people on waiting list and on lurking status in the game.

Or as suggested before you take all players in but some must volunteer work as co-GM's to run encounters and events for other players (not those belonging to group where their PC belongs to). After all organization may have multiple goals in multiple fronts, one assassination mission, one kidnap mission, one monster recruitment etc.

I think what he's saying is that he really wants that big organized groups thing and that you shouldn't have to give it to him all by yourself. ;)

On the other point, it's a sad fact that all groups run a 20% to 50% drop rate, so having 3 or 4 back-ups is a good idea.

If I get in or not, I'm sure that it's going to be a very interesting game... if you can get this desperate group of desperato's to work together and not get themselves killed. ;)
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Absenses & Apologies (Updated 3/02/23)
Blinkins' Thinkin's (Story Ideas)
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

Snake

". if you can get this desperate group of desperato's to work together and not get themselves killed. ;)"

It worked for Armstrong in Metal Gear Rising...

ChaoticSky

Drat, wont have time to get my character ready by the deadline. Someone seduce a princess for me :P

Mnemaxa

Quote from: Darkling on June 03, 2014, 10:58:30 PM
Drat, wont have time to get my character ready by the deadline. Someone seduce a princess for me :P

I may have you covered. :P

The Well of my Dreams is Poisoned; I draw off the Poison, which becomes the Ink of my Authorship, the Paint upon my Brush.

EroticFantasyAuthor

Flaming

I was wondering. I am picturing Malak as an old bitter man, should I apply the age modifiers?

Blinkin

Your portraying a low level character as an old man?
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

Ghostwheel

Most people spend their lives and die, even from old age, as low-level characters.

If you see him as old and he's beyond the Adult age category, I'd say yes, apply the bonuses and penalties.

Blinkin

I wasn't disagreeing, just asking the question. Most of those who spend their lives and die as low-level characters usually don't suddenly decide to go out into the world with their walkers and oxygen bottles, which is beside the point. I was merely asking if that was the case.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Anon315

Well there's a difference between middle and old age, I wouldn't want to wish the ravages of old age on him, but many people in the real world didn't start what they became famous for until what was deemed middle age at the time.

LisztesFerenc

Anon315

Little under 23 hours to go. I suppose I could just call it now, but I gave my word and a few people did express interest but not put down a character yet. I have had several people express interest in being Co-GM, or running side stories, or what have you. To those who have applied, would you be interested in a side game / concurrent campaign if you don't get into the main one?

This would obviously help as it would mean rather than denying 2/3 of the people, we'd be telling only about 1/3 no. That is always the hard part of games, whittling the choices down to a reasonable number for a game.

So, would there be interest in a second group? (Not run by me, but assisted by me)

Blinkin

I don't mean this in any negative way or as a slight to anyone's skill at GMing, but my decision would depend heavily on who the GM is as to whether I would be interested in a side story or not.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Zaer Darkwail

I myself would not mind join game which is assisted by Anon315 (or be part of Anon315 game for that matter :)).

Warlock

Quote from: Anon315 on June 04, 2014, 12:59:22 PM
Little under 23 hours to go. I suppose I could just call it now, but I gave my word and a few people did express interest but not put down a character yet. I have had several people express interest in being Co-GM, or running side stories, or what have you. To those who have applied, would you be interested in a side game / concurrent campaign if you don't get into the main one?

This would obviously help as it would mean rather than denying 2/3 of the people, we'd be telling only about 1/3 no. That is always the hard part of games, whittling the choices down to a reasonable number for a game.

So, would there be interest in a second group? (Not run by me, but assisted by me)

It could always be interesting, might not be the epic Zero to BBEG adventure that Wicked is, but any chance to assist our soon-to-be evil ovelords is welcome by me. Speaking of overlords, a handy list.

AceSorou

Quote from: Anon315 on June 04, 2014, 12:59:22 PM

I wouldn't mind a second group.

Flaming

Quote from: Blinkin on June 04, 2014, 11:21:38 AM
Your portraying a low level character as an old man?

Not decrepit, but I won't mind playing him somewhat aged.
Probably some kind of middle age perv : )
Going into old age could be feasable but probably I would need to reconsider the stats.

Quote from: Warlock on June 04, 2014, 02:40:31 PM
It could always be interesting, might not be the epic Zero to BBEG adventure that Wicked is, but any chance to assist our soon-to-be evil ovelords is welcome by me. Speaking of overlords, a handy list.

Haven't seen that in years, now i know what I am going to read tonight : D

Muse

:)  I have  a freind who occasionaly enjoys playing venerable wizards. 

Bilbo nad Frodo were both comforbably middle aged when they had their adventures.  Naturaly they're depicted younger in th emovies--especialy Frodo. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

EroticFantasyAuthor

My character is close to completion and will hopefully be submitted soon, sorry it is taking so long. I have sent his rolls but they are on the low side(10, 14, 9, 10).

Anon315

I would allow for a reroll of two of the lowest, yes. Keep the 10 and 14, reroll the other 10 and the 9. 10 and 14 average to 12 and don't suck, but adding TO that a 9 and a 10 makes for less fun.

EroticFantasyAuthor

Anon315

That's equivalent to a 32 point buy... roll two more 1d10+7's, and if you get close I'll let you have that, but I don't feel comfortable giving you a 5 and a 9 on dice without a roll.

EroticFantasyAuthor

Working Picture

Name: Max Muldoon, endeavoring to become a mercenary known simply as 'The Shadow Viper,' in an attempt to hide his identity
Sex: Male
Race: Human
Class: Rogue/Ranger with the intention of becoming an Assassin

Background: Orphaned at a young age, the only family he has ever known has been his younger brother(by two years); Snyder. In their younger years, Max took care of and looked after his younger brother. However it was not long before Snyder could take care of himself and the two made a great duo. Snyder had always been the eyes and ears of the pair, while Max was the hand and tongue. All through the years, Max was usually the one preforming the tasks they needed to accomplish while Snyder provided support. At first the tasks were simple pickpocketing to survive, or swiping food from a merchant's stall. Max would grab the coin or food while Snyder would distract or impede individuals as needed. As they grew up, they were able to perform and carry out odd jobs around the part of the city they called home.

An Orphanage was their first home, as it often was with children in their situation. It was quickly decided though, that it would not do. The Orphanage always making attempts to split them up until they ran away after only six months. The rest of their lives had been spent in the slums of the major city the orphanage was in. It had been a constant struggle to survive, when they were not busy gathering food and what little coin they could, they were dodging bullies and hiding from the guards. If those dangers weren't enough, there were also the various animals that called the slums home. Rats were a major problem within the slums, and they provided them their first reliable source of 'honest work.' However, where there is prey, there will always be predators. The most feared predator to call the slums home was a species of large pit viper with pitch black scales and extremely potent venom, that were known as shadow vipers.

The Shadow's Den was a section of the slums that nearly everyone avoided due to the deadly serpents. It was this reason that the two boys made their home within it despite the great danger. Not only did the bullies avoid the area, but the guards were loathe to chase anyone into it. Living with these snakes was no easy task, the first few nights they were so paranoid they could not sleep. After all, every shadow could be potentially holding one of these silent predators that literally disappeared into the darkness. The first night that they managed to find some sleep had Max waking after only a couple of hours to find a rather large one coiled against his stomach. It was the worst night of their lives, Max having to remain completely still until the snake eventually moved off after several hours while Snyder could do nothing to help his big brother.

That single night left an impression, sparked the idea that it may be possible to co-exist side by side with these extremely deadly snakes. It was obvious the snake hadn't been out to get Max. He could only guess at the reason the serpent had been attracted to him, perhaps it was his body heat or simply random chance. But one thing the boy was certain of, had he panicked and tried to escape; he would have been killed. From that point on they proceeded to learn all they could about the shadow vipers. One of their top priorities was to come to know their new 'home' like the back of their hands. Their free time being split between exploring The Shadow's Den and observing the vipers.

Watching the snakes had actually taught them patience, as time and time again they witnessed a viper stay perfectly still until just at the right moment striking to secure a rat. The older they grew, the more this inspiration helped to develop how they lived their lives and of course the tactics they used in pursuing goals. Their early teens saw them take an interest in adventuring and learning to use weapons. Max always preferring to take a more 'hands-on' approach, gravitated towards daggers and long knives. They also reminded him of a vipers fangs, he especially liked Kukris and longed to have one or two. Snyder's interest in a specific weapon was captured by the crossbow, loving the potential of being able to strike from an unseen position just as the vipers did.

Of course they taught and trained themselves, Max's very first 'weapon' being a rather sharp but old knife that had likely once belonged in someone's mess kit. While Snyder had fashioned a leather sling in which he could fling rocks with increasing accuracy. They were always on the look out for better weapons and the opportunities to procure them. Daggers were of course easier to get, with crossbows being a bit more problematic; they were both more expensive and harder to steal. However, by age fifteen Max had acquired more than a few daggers and they both worked to get Snyder(now thirteen) a light crossbow.

They had always been skilled pickpockets, made even more successful by their partnership. Ever since rather early in their careers, what had made pickpocketing a challenge was avoiding notice of the bullies and the slumlord that commanded them. That was the primary reason that they sought to make their home in The Shadow's Den. It was much easier to escape the Thief's Gang by retreating into the Den, as most of them were too cowardly to risk getting bitten. As they aged; the more successful they became in dealing with the bullies, but there were many times when they were caught and made an example of.

The most recent and severe of these examples came shortly after Max turned eighteen and Snyder was just barely sixteen. The two toughest thugs had dragged them in front of the slumlord where they were beaten bloody, nothing life threatening just extremely painful, over and over again. Once the gang had had their fun, the two of them were given a choice, join with the gang or die. The truth was that the slumlord was impressed by these two younger upstarts, no other kids had been so problematic to his little organization. After all most everyone in the slums under the age of 20 was under his control. If they were caught once, they could be caught again, they had no choice but to accept.

Though they were not defeated, they saw this as an opportunity, possibly the best most lucrative one that had ever crossed their paths. Hunting pests and solving other people's minor problems had been great training, practice and experience, not to mention making them a bit of coin. But becoming the leaders of a rather big gang of thieves, that held such irresistible potential. So they did a complete change in their attitudes, becoming the model gang member. For two years they gave more than their share, successfully completed any task they were given. Not just successfully, but flawlessly; the slumlord's orders were carried out to the letter. This continued service eventually got them accepted into his little inner circle. Life was good, better than it had actually ever been.

From the moment they joined the thieve's gang, they made sure to do one thing; treat everyone better than the slumlord treated them. Max made a dedicated effort to become friends with every one of his fellow gang members, especially those they were patiently plotting against. About a year's time after they joined, they were tasked with the training of the younger members. Their self-taught skills with daggers and crossbow having become well known within the gang, the slumlord naturally wanting to increase the number of members with these skills. It was around this time that they began setting their plans into motion. It seemed Max was a natural leader, as they trained the younger members, they also bonded with them. Max protecting them from the slumlord and defusing the situation whenever one of them made a mistake or failed a task. Soon those younger members had formed into a team within the gang, that was more loyal to Max, than the slumlord.

Neither Max nor Snyder forgot just who came into the Shadow's Den and captured them, the slumlord's two most loyal and toughest members. Not only did they stand in the way of their plans, but there was also the matter of revenge. It took quite a bit longer than the other members, but eventually the slumlord's two hands had become trusting friends. One was actually a guard stationed in the slums. After a night of heavy drinking, he was found dead in his room accompanied by a rather large rat and an even larger shadow viper. The other was a skilled pickpocket, but unfortunately he was found in an alley. Badly beaten with several stab wounds, it seemed that one of his victims didn't appreciate having their coin-purse stolen. Of course these accidents occurred several months apart.

Two years after joining the gang, Max now being twenty years old and Snyder eighteen; it was time for them to take control of the gang. They had already started subtly transforming it from a gang of thieves into more of a mercenary company, complete with a small 'elite' team that they had been given full control over. The slumlord had never been constantly around, he usually seemed to only visit through the afternoon and late evening before disappearing. For those hours, the slumlord had always been very hands on in managing the gang, ensuring their operations were as efficient as possible and most importantly; that everyone paid their share.

It was an afternoon just like any other, Max keeping the slumlord up to date as they walked down an alley to attend the usual weekly meeting, Snyder following along behind as he always did. The meeting was joined, as the Slumlord was opening his mouth to greet the gang; a dagger slid across his throat. As soon as Max had stepped back away from the Slumlord, a crossbow bolt found it's way into the older man's head. Just as they planned, the change of leadership met little resistance, and for a few days everything seemed great.

Unfortunately it turned out that the slumlord was the favorite nephew of a rather rich and powerful noble. It seemed that the thieve's gang was a hobby for the slumlord or perhaps his uncle had sent him to form a bit of an assassin's guild. Either way, the result was the same. Ruthless guards soon came looking for answers. These guards were unlike any ever seen in the slums. They were clad in heavy plate instead of leather, held metal shields rather than wooden and wielded longswords or pole-arms in the place of clubs and short swords. They quickly discovered what had happened to the thirty year old slumlord and began hunting the two brothers.

The chase was rather long, heading deep into the Shadow's Den. Unfortunately the tough leather and metal plates of the guards' boots made them invulnerable to any snake bite accidents. Max managed to severely wound of one of them before he was eventually caught and overwhelmed. Snyder struck a guard right in the throat with a crossbow bolt, killing the guard as he choked on his own blood. With that single shot, the younger brother's fate was sealed. Two of the guards rushed Snyder, slamming him against a wall with their shields while their longswords found his gut. This happened infront of Max's eyes as he was being manacled and dragged away.

His transport and time in prison was spent in almost a daze as he mourned the loss of someone so close to him, his partner and only family he knew. It was only a couple of days before the intense sadness was turning into anger that hungered for vengeance.

Personality: He is a mercenary, plain and simple. Now, being alone in world has made coin his primary concern and desire. After all, money is power and it can lead to such an enjoyable lifestyle. On the outside he is a friendly easy going individual, while on the inside he is a cold, calculating, patient ambush predator. Striving to always strike only when he has the best possible chance of success. His new reputation is very important to him, wishing to become known as a deadly mercenary that can accomplish any contract or task given to him. A great void has been left by Snyder's death. He had always been fiercely loyal to his brother, they made such a great partnership. The team they had formed was rather successful and efficient even for a band of street kids in their late teens and trained by self-taught mentors who still had so much to learn. He yearned to have that again, to rebuild what he had lost. It can be expected that that same fierce loyalty will be given to future close friends and trusted team-members.

Sexual Preferences: Heterosexual

What I want from this game: Pretty general reply I guess, but a good collaborative story following a party of rising villains.

Ability Scores: 18 Goes to DEX while 8 goes to WIS. First rolls were 10, 14, 9, 10.(Two lowest being rerolled very soon, thank you). Edit: And two rerolls came to 11 and 10, seems the E's dicebot currently hates me.