News:

Sarkat And Rian: Happily Ever After? [EX]
Congratulations shengami & FoxgirlJay for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Dungeon World

Started by wander, November 03, 2014, 02:32:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wander

So, I thought I'd try my hand at doing a rather light hearted Dungeon World game for those who know it and play it.

This will be open to approved and non-approved members and in true Dungeon World fashion we'll all build the world up as we go along, so going in now, it's a blank slate... Want a specific building or land as part of your backstory? Write it in and it's canon! Feel free to include in your backstory things that other players have added, as when there are enough players to go, we'll sort out the Bonds to each PC.

I'd be GMing though if someone has some experience in doing it, I'm willing to let them do it and allow me some fun at being a PC... Because the game is open to non-approved, whilst we'd be in one IC thread, I'm thinking of running the game as a series of short one-shots, where it's easy to factor in PCs coming and going. That way if one person goes missing, it won't kill the game.

In running it, I'd like to see what characters people make and I will ask questions on backstories, every question answered that adds a bit to the world will net that character 1xp going into the game. When we have characters good to go and a basic world is built, we should have enough for a quest to start us off, why the PCs are doing it and a good starting location.

This is very much a game for those who like fantasy games and would love to see a detailed world evolve through play from blank canvass, where their additions become canon and a bigger picture gets realised. Where everyone gets a say and few things get turned down and ignored.

All I need from anyone interested is to list under here their character as created from the DW book. One person per class, so it's first come first serve, though I'll allow approved members to double on anything a non-approved has picked, so at the very max there'd be two of each class in the party at any time. I'm also going to limit the game to classes from the corebook and the official Barbarian class.

Show your interest below! :)

Teonis

I saw DW, I'm in, now I actually have to read what you wrote, lol.

Teonis

Forgot I can't edit posts, not really used to this yet. Depending on if you get players new to DW, I'll wait to claim a class so new players can claim the class they are most interested in. I'm personally super flexible with the core classes, the only one I've never played is Wizard. In the meantime, I'd love to discuss setting with you until we can attract more attention.

Do you already know what your starting dungeon will be, or are you leaving that to the players too?
Additionally, I know you are sticking to the core book classes, but how do you feel about re-skinning?

wander

No worries... :)

When it comes to adventures, you won't neccessarily be in a dungeon... I try not to limit adventures to purely crawls. Because the game would start where everyone already has met each other, we can skip the old 'you all meet in a tavern' trope and depending on your character's backstories and motivations, you may already be on the trail of a quest. I have ran an adventure before that started with the group being ran out of town, then running afoul of gnolls that happened to live nearby. I like to see what the group comes up with for their characters and tailoring threats around that.

If you change anything about a class, let me know what bits have been changed and how and as long as it's not too major, I should be fine with it... :)

Teonis

You need a hook. A good hook is like having good bait, you can catch all the fishies looking to fill their RP bellies with the tastiest looking hook.

wander

This is true.

What also doesn't help is less people tend to check out the non-adult roleplaying section also. I like to give people freedom to do what they like, however it seems here that people respond better to set ideas, plots and settings, with character ideas they can make their own. Also, alot of people here like their freeform rather than systems, so it's a hard sell.

But if people like to world-build and they like freedom to be who they wish, this would be a good game to jump into.

Teonis

I used to play a bunch of freeform in High School, but I think DW lends to that a lot with narrative gameplay, but then takes it another level by making events go beyond the control which you can exhibit on your own character. In freeform, if you can make it fit the fiction, it happens. In DW, you still have to fit the fiction, but not everything is going to work your way. I LOVE IT!

Get in here people, lets get this thing rolling, I'm all fired up!~
Once we get going we can move things in other directions, too.

wander

I agree! Its very much like improv in a way, where a person can say to your stuff 'Yes, but...', keeping the fiction going. Yes there are dice rolls, but even failed actions keep things going and nets you some of that lovely xp to level up. :)

zenpai

I would like to try this out I read the demo version I like the druid class
I heard joke once: Man goes to doctor. Says he's depressed. Life seems harsh, and cruel. Says he feels all alone in threatening world. Doctor says: "Treatment is simple. The great clown - Pagliacci - is in town. Go see him. That should pick you up." Man bursts into tears. "But doctor..." he says "I am Pagliacci." Good joke. Everybody laugh. Roll on snare drum. Curtains.

Rorschach's Journal. October 12th, 1985: Dog carcass in alley this morning, tire tread on burst stomach. This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"... and I'll whisper "no."

wander

Great! :)

Feel free to make up your character and list them here... I'm hoping if someone steps up the plate and posts a character, others will too. If you need help, do ask and I can help you or anyone else who wants to make a character along. :)

Teonis

Oh, you should have said so! (rolled d8 to pick my class for fun, got Ranger)

QuoteThe Ranger
Name: Thorom Goretusk

Look: Wild Eyes, Sharp Eyes, or Animal Eyes
Hooded Head, Wild Hair, or Bald
Cape, Camouflage, or Traveling Clothes
Lithe Body, Wild Body, or Sharp Body
WYLD STALLYNS!

Stats
STR: 13 / +1
DEX: 16 / +2
CON: 12 / 0
INT: 9 / 0
WIS: 15 / +1
CHA: 8 / -1

Your maximum HP is 8+Constitution. 20
Your base damage is d8.

Starting Moves
Human Half-Orc
When you make camp in a dungeon or city, you don’t need to consume a ration.

Hunt and Track (Wis)
When you follow a trail of clues left behind by passing creatures, roll+WIS. ✴On a 7+, you follow the creature’s trail until there’s a significant change in its direction or mode of travel. ✴On a 10+, you also choose 1:

• Gain a useful bit of information about your quarry, the GM will tell you what
  • Determine what caused the trail to end

Called Shot
When you attack a defenseless or surprised enemy at range, you can choose to deal your damage or name your target and roll+DEX.

• Head ✴10+: As 7–9, plus your damage ✴7-9: They do nothing but stand and drool for a few moments.
  • Arms ✴10+: As 7-9, plus your damage ✴7-9: They drop anything they’re holding.
  • Legs ✴10+: As 7-9, plus your damage ✴7-9: They’re hobbled and slow moving.

Animal Companion
You have a supernatural connection with a loyal animal. You can’t talk to it per se but it always acts as you wish it to. Name your animal companion and choose a species:
Wolf, cougar, bear, eagle, dog, hawk, cat, owl, pigeon, rat, mule

Choose a base:
Ferocity +2, Cunning +1, 1 Armor, Instinct +1
Ferocity +2, Cunning +2, 0 Armor, Instinct +1
Ferocity +1, Cunning +2, 1 Armor, Instinct +1
Ferocity +3, Cunning +1, 1 Armor, Instinct +2

Choose as many strengths as its ferocity:
Fast, burly, huge, calm, adaptable, quick reflexes, tireless, camouflage, ferocious, intimidating, keen senses, stealthy

Your animal companion is trained to fight humanoids. Choose as many additional trainings as its cunning:
Hunt, search, scout, guard, fight monsters, perform, labor, travel

Choose as many weaknesses as its instinct:
Flighty, savage, slow, broken, frightening, forgetful, stubborn, lame

Command
When you work with your animal companion on something it’s trained in…

• …and you attack the same target, add its ferocity to your damage
  • …and you track, add its cunning to your roll
  • …and you take damage, add its armor to your armor
  • …and you discern realities, add its cunning to your roll
  • …and you parley, add its cunning to your roll
  • …and someone interferes with you, add its instinct to their roll

Alignment
Chaotic
Free someone from literal or figurative bonds.

Gear
Your load is 11+Str. 12
Dungeon rations (5 uses, 1 weight)
Leather armor (1 armor, 1 weight)
Bundle of arrows (6 ammo, 2 weight)
Hunter’s bow (near, far, 1 weight)
Short sword (close, 1 weight)
Adventuring gear (1 weight)

Bonds
Fill in the name of one of your companions in at least one:

I have guided _______________ before and they owe me for it.
_______________ is a friend of nature, so I will be their friend as well.
_______________ has no respect for nature, so I have no respect for them.
_______________ does not understand life in the wild, so I will teach them.

wander

Quote from: Teonis on November 06, 2014, 01:17:27 PM
Oh, you should have said so! (rolled d8 to pick my class for fun, got Ranger)

I did actually bold in my OP to list your character here... Towards the bottom of the post... ;)

Okay, thats one! I can always GMPC someone, but lets see if we can get a few others to join in now! ^^

Teonis

Quote from: wander on November 06, 2014, 09:58:30 AM
Great! :)

Feel free to make up your character and list them here... I'm hoping if someone steps up the plate and posts a character, others will too. If you need help, do ask and I can help you or anyone else who wants to make a character along. :)

This. ^^^

wander

Hehe, I see now. ;)

More characters needed! I'd like to get at least two other people involved before I kick off an adventure... :)