BattleTech 3050 ((Looking for new recruits!))

Started by Wargtass, November 15, 2012, 10:39:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Latooni Subota

That's generally what happens with me and Jenners. There's a reason they're called murderboxes in some circles. :3
ONs and OFFs be here: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=64984.0

If I'm needed to post somewhere, PLEASE PM me about it. Sometimes I lose track of threads and need to be reminded about things.

TheHangedOne

Quote from: Branwen on November 18, 2012, 08:45:59 PM
No.  No you're not.  You're passionate and informed and wonderful.
Not to sound like a brown noser to either of you, but I second this.
A&A's and O&O's *Status: Here and there | Games: Aiming for punctuality*
"In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends."
"In the ocean of knowledge, only those who want to learn will see the land."
"Before you roar, please take a deep breath."
Check out my poet tree!

Lady Quixote

I can not disagree with that either...I'm a big fan of all energy weapon mechs but those indirect LRM attacks are damn useful

Matt

TheGlyphstone

Pity we can't strap Long Tom Cannons into 'Mechs' the way it lets you in MechCommander....it was so much fun taking 4x Atlases with twin Long Toms and just shelling the crap out of everything from a zillion miles away.

And I agree - when you're playing with a setting as rich and deep in history as Battletech, half the point is immersing yourself in that history and story, and to do that you need an expert guide.

Marie Reynolds

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Black_Knight Okay i think i have fallen in love with the BL-12-KNT. Oh LRM 20's and Narc beacons brought back so many good memories.

Lady Quixote

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on November 18, 2012, 08:54:45 PM
Pity we can't strap Long Tom Cannons into 'Mechs' the way it lets you in MechCommander....it was so much fun taking 4x Atlases with twin Long Toms and just shelling the crap out of everything from a zillion miles away.

And I agree - when you're playing with a setting as rich and deep in history as Battletech, half the point is immersing yourself in that history and story, and to do that you need an expert guide.

well they have them, but I can't recall any mechs that actually use them in a standard (technical readout) book

Matt

Marie Reynolds

Neither do but in a campaign i was in altered my  Vulcan to have them and damn every time i touched the dice for the narcs location always rolled snake eyes.

Lady Quixote

soooo, you're not going to like this but the BL-12-KNT has the same issue as the Sling.  The targeting computer isn't redeveloped till 3062...

Matt

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: mvo33 on November 18, 2012, 08:57:26 PM
well they have them, but I can't recall any mechs that actually use them in a standard (technical readout) book

Matt

Yeah, Long Toms only come in vehicle format in the tabletop game. :-(

Lady Quixote

they've got one capable of being mounted on a mech, it's a snub nosed version with standard ranges instead of ranges measured in maps...(it can also be mounted on areospace fighters...which just seems odd when you talk about artillery in air/space battles).  But I don't really know anyone who's ever used them.

ok I'm head off to fold laundry and heading to bed, so I won't be able to unfortunately pop people mech dreams.  Which I will say I really don't like to do, but I'm in that same passionate/stickler boat...I am sorry for complicating things.

Have a great night (or day if you're a head of me).
Matt

Marie Reynolds

Well thats cool their are other variants of the black knight im happy with.

Blobbe

Heh. I was looking at a Black Knight too; though in '49, only the BL-6-KNT and BL-7-KNT would exist.

Blobbe

Done!

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Pilot

Name: Elisa Moreno
Sex: Female
BattleMech: BL-6-KNT Black Knight
Homeworld: Galatea
Original Faction: None (Mercenary)

Description: Elisa is on the tall side of things, standing 176 cm tall. She is fit and trim with an athletic build that suggests a life of training and discipline rather then luxury. Her skin is on the tanned side, topped by light red hair and green-brown eyes. A couple of small nicks and scars are visible, giving a further indication to her past and experiences.

Background: Seventy-five percent of Mercenary units fail in their first eighteen months; of those that survive, only a small portion will made it beyond five years. Even then, those that survive usually will live a hardscrabble, hand-to-mouth existence for most of their careers. Success is the exception, rather then the rule.

Caesar’s Cavaliers was one of those; never fantastically successful, they lived a life of marginal contracts fighting uphill against financial failure, equipment and supply shortages and the like. Elisa Moreno was born to one of its Mechwarriors and a Technician, and raised with the unit as it travelled, never calling any one place home. As she grew, she learned how to operate a BattleMech at her parent’s urging, as well as getting some background in technical skills and having a degree of sense knocked into her.

Unfortunately, the inevitable occurred; a raiding contract for the Taurian Concordat went bad, dropping the Cavaliers into heavier then expected opposition and forcing them to retreat without reaching their objectives with heavy casualties. The TDF chose to hold back payment on the grounds that the unit had failed its objectives and not performed ‘adequately’. What was left of the unit limped back to Outreach, where they simply surrendered to the combined weight of losses and debt, falling apart.

Elisa was one of those who sought a second chance; inheriting her father’s ‘Mech after his retirement due to injury, she set out to find a second chance at making her way. Using her skills and experience, she was hoping to get in on the ground floor of another unit and maybe, just maybe, do better then her parents did.

Personality: Elisa is rough and determined, the sort who tackles problems head-on and doesn’t shy away from a challenge when presented with it. She can be blunt and even obnoxious at times, preferring expediency and bluntness to pussyfooting around and fake politeness. Not used to luxury, she’s used to hard work and living rough, and isn’t afraid to do what’s needed to get a task done.

She has a dislike of Wolf’s Dragoons, seeing them as elitist snobs who have had everything handed to them on a silver platter. Her past career has also left her with a strong dislike of pirates and Taurians.

Speciality Skills: Elisa has a fair amount of technical experience and knowledge, especially when it comes to jury-rigging or making do with less than optimal parts. She also is something of a scrounger, good at scavenging and turning up parts and supplies.

BattleMech Characteristics

Chassis:  Technicron 1L Endo Steel
Weight Class: Heavy
Callsign: Warlord
Description: While Elisa’s Black Knight is in perfect functional condition, it’s ancient body bears the scars of many conflicts; the armour is pitted and battered, and its internal systems carry the legacy of many years of field repairs, bypasses and jury-rigging.

Loadout:
*Magna Hellstar II PPC
*2 McCorkel Large Lasers
*4 Maxwell DT Medium Lasers
*Magna Small Laser

Modules: Beagle Active Probe

Upgrades: Endo Steel skeleton

General Armor Values: 13 tons standard armour (208 points)

Lithium

TheGlyphstone

Well, our unit is certainly in no shortage of fine females. :D

Blobbe

I'm not married to the image or call sign as yet, and not entirely happy with either. Some days my brain is terrible at this whole decision stuff.

Latooni Subota

Hot dang, a Mandalorian. This group is SET for ground encounters!

If I'm needed to post somewhere, PLEASE PM me about it. Sometimes I lose track of threads and need to be reminded about things.

Blobbe

Quote from: Latooni Subota on November 18, 2012, 11:06:47 PM
Hot dang, a Mandalorian. This group is SET for ground encounters!

That's a Mandalorian?

Now I feel dirty. BRB, changing picture.

Wargtass

Quote from: mvo33 on November 18, 2012, 05:41:53 PM
Current force:
Command/Heavy Hitter Lance
Glyph - Alroy/King Crab
Wargtass - Walter/Highlander
MVO33 - Graff/Marauder
Lithium - Lily/Axman

Recon Lance
TheHangedMan - Ivan/Valkyrie
Branwin - Yamina/Locust
orderNchaos - Ranna/Hatchetman
blank

So we need one more light/medium to make up the recon lance and we're good to go.

Matt

No more lists please, I have yet to actually pick anyone out for this and posting a list makes it seem like we have already filled those spots. I have not, I was just waiting for the Characters to hit the 8 mark and then move along, now I think we might be up to 11 so now the sifting begins.

Quote from: Latooni Subota on November 18, 2012, 05:16:57 PM
I can't believe this popped up while I was sick, so I didn't get in on the ground floor. I NEED to be in this, since my game with Allie never got off the ground (SO SAD q.q ). Is . . is there still room, Wargy? :(

As said, nothing put into stone yet. It might even end up I'll have to make a third lance and act like a sort of Mission Command, handing out missions left and right.  :P

Quote from: mvo33 on November 18, 2012, 06:55:42 PM
So you could do another hatchetman, he's a brawler.  Or if you don't need to do the melee thing you can't go wrong with a Hunchback...that AC/20 puts the hurting on most. 

The only problem that I can see right now is in the speed of our recon lance, the locust is 130km/h, valkyrie is 86km/h, Hatchetman is 64 km/h...

by comparison the heavy and assults we've chossen are all in the 56-64km/h range...it might not be a big problem, but I thought I'd throw it out there

Matt

Again I might have to make a new Lance. The only reason I kept it down to two was because I didn't think there was any interest. Clearly there is, my mistake to underestimate this community.  ;D

Quote from: Latooni Subota on November 18, 2012, 08:01:43 PM
BattleMech: SL-1G Sling, custom

I love the Sling! I could approve you just because of that, but I have to seem professional and don't act like I was handed a $5-bill under the table!  :D

Quote from: Branwen on November 18, 2012, 08:40:16 PM
We might need a discussion about whether we will be guided by canon, or bound by it.  It's a big universe out there, and for every solid rule there's at least one instance, one time and place where it might have been broken.  Our characters, while not Gilgamesh, are still the heroes of their own stories.  I think we should allow a little leeway with things like dates and such while still keeping the feel of the game intact. 

That's just a comment.  Not a criticism.  :)  Dissent is welcomed.

Guided. So far I have never been able to head an RP of a fandom without cutting and pasting a bit in the canon. I forget stuff easily and if we are going to rate everyone of my info-posts like I was doctorating in it, this game is going to take a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong while.

So yes, I'll be guided by canon, if it breaks my vase I'm kicking it in the nuts.

Quote from: KaylaM on November 18, 2012, 08:42:46 PM
I'm pedantic and a stickler. I'm horrible, I know.

You definitively have your place among the ranks here, have a ribbon like the rest of us!

I guess that's it for this update, I'm going to repost your characters in the first post and sift through them and see what I come up with. If there was some question I have yet to answer, tell me!

EDIT: Your characters are now posted up front for convenience sake. Gotta finish up our first mission map before I ponder any more, It's been lying in the background screaming for my attention.
O/O

Blobbe

Modified! Still not happy with the character pic, but less not happy with it.

Pilot

Name: Elisa Moreno
Sex: Female
BattleMech: BL-6-KNT Black Knight
Homeworld: Galatea
Original Faction: None (Mercenary)

Description: Elisa is on the tall side of things, standing 176 cm tall. She is fit and trim with an athletic build that suggests a life of training and discipline rather then luxury. Her skin is on the tanned side, topped by light red hair and green-brown eyes. A couple of small nicks and scars are visible, giving a further indication to her past and experiences.

Background: Seventy-five percent of Mercenary units fail in their first eighteen months; of those that survive, only a small portion will made it beyond five years. Even then, those that survive usually will live a hardscrabble, hand-to-mouth existence for most of their careers. Success is the exception, rather then the rule.

Caesar’s Cavaliers was one of those; never fantastically successful, they lived a life of marginal contracts fighting uphill against financial failure, equipment and supply shortages and the like. Elisa Moreno was born to one of its Mechwarriors and a Technician, and raised with the unit as it travelled, never calling any one place home. As she grew, she learned how to operate a BattleMech at her parent’s urging, as well as getting some background in technical skills and having a degree of sense knocked into her.

Unfortunately, the inevitable occurred; a raiding contract for the Taurian Concordat went bad, dropping the Cavaliers into heavier then expected opposition and forcing them to retreat without reaching their objectives with heavy casualties. The TDF chose to hold back payment on the grounds that the unit had failed its objectives and not performed ‘adequately’. What was left of the unit limped back to Outreach, where they simply surrendered to the combined weight of losses and debt, falling apart.

Elisa was one of those who sought a second chance; inheriting her father’s ‘Mech after his retirement due to injury, she set out to find a second chance at making her way. Using her skills and experience, she was hoping to get in on the ground floor of another unit and maybe, just maybe, do better then her parents did.

Personality: Elisa is rough and determined, the sort who tackles problems head-on and doesn’t shy away from a challenge when presented with it. She can be blunt and even obnoxious at times, preferring expediency and bluntness to pussyfooting around and fake politeness. Not used to luxury, she’s used to hard work and living rough, and isn’t afraid to do what’s needed to get a task done.

She has a dislike of Wolf’s Dragoons, seeing them as elitist snobs who have had everything handed to them on a silver platter. Her past career has also left her with a strong dislike of pirates and Taurians.

Speciality Skills: Elisa has a fair amount of technical experience and knowledge, especially when it comes to jury-rigging or making do with less than optimal parts. She also is something of a scrounger, good at scavenging and turning up parts and supplies.

Chassis:  Technicron 1L Endo Steel
Weight Class: Heavy
Callsign: Defiance
Description: While Elisa’s Black Knight is in perfect functional condition, it’s ancient body bears the scars of many conflicts; the armour is pitted and battered, and its internal systems carry the legacy of many years of field repairs, bypasses and jury-rigging.

Loadout:
*Magna Hellstar II PPC
*2 McCorkel Large Lasers
*4 Maxwell DT Medium Lasers
*Magna Small Laser

Modules: Beagle Active Probe

Upgrades: Endo Steel skeleton

General Armor Values: 13 tons standard armour (208 points)

Sel Nar

As a longtime BT player, can I throw my hat into the ring? It's been a long time since I played the tabletop, and almost as long since I picked up the PC games itself, but MWO fired me up once more. Admittedly, I've always been a fan of the 'Zombie mech' Subclass, so expect a walking fire-support monster like the Awesome to be in play if I get grabbed. ;)

Pilot

Name: Erich Oststein
Sex: Male
BattleMech: AWS-8Q Awesome (Level 2 Tech Upgrade)
Homeworld: Odessa
Original Faction: Lyran Commonwealth Armed Forces (LCAF)

Description: Erich makes the description of 'massive' seem unfitting; Towering over most people, at nearly six and a half feet tall, his broad shoulders, barrel chest, and deeply tanned and scarred visage showcase the wear and tear he's put on his body over the last forty years. His short brown hair is fading to grey at the temples, and his dark hazel eyes are overshadowed by his perpetual scowl and thick brow.

Background: A native of Odessa, a core world of the Lyran Commonwealth, Erich came from a long family tradition of serving in the LCAF. Many of his records are sealed, implying that he spent more than his fair share of several tours of duty doing things that were not strictly legal, or ethical in the service of House Steiner, but, it appears that, around 3042, he was cut loose from his contract during the continued merger of the LCAF and the AFFS, after he was given the 'responsibility' of explaining to his commanding officer how the CO's orders had ended up with the near-destruction of a full battalion during a raid gone wrong. Soured from the experience, he's struck out on his own, acting as a freelancer; most contracts he takes are acting as a voice of reason and keeping the leash on young hotshots.

Personality: A sour, grouchy 'old man', He lives hard, fights hard, and has no problems ripping someone down and building them back up into a good soldier, even if they don't much care for his intervention, or tactics. Soured on the 'social generals' of the LCAF, and the egotism of the AFFS, he has earned a reputation of making people from disparate backgrounds work well together, even if it's only out of sheer hatred for him.

Speciality Skills: Crack shot with a variety of rifles, has a decent range of survival skills, including how to escape from behind enemy lines. A bit of a scrounger, he can find some hard-to-find parts less often than the ones with the 'magic touch' of mechanical scrounging, but he compensates by having knowledge on a range of subjects, and has been known to surprise subordinates by getting fresh fruit, often a valuable commodity in itself, depending on where one's stationed.

Chassis: Technicron Type G
Weight Class: Assault (80 tons)
Callsign: Brick
Description: This Awesome has seen Centuries of hard use; over the years, several 'techs that have examined the war machine have joked that it was probably one of the first to come off of Technicron's Manufacturing lines back in 2665, but centuries of constant warfare and abuse have ensured that its history has been lost due to replacement parts outnumbering originals. Deep scars cover nearly every inch of the 'mech's armour, showing a variety of impact points from missiles, ballistics, energy weapons, and even an avalanche or two, if the pilot is to be believed. Despite the appearance, the 'mech is fully functional, coming as a nasty surprise to rookie pilots that think its looks directly impact its performance.

Painted a dusty black, the only real colour on the war machine are the blued apertures of its weapons, and the dull red glow of its cockpit, often the last things enemies see in urban combat. Recently, It's been refit to an experimental advanced technology version, swapping the 28 original heat sinks for 19 Double-strength freezers, freeing up enough room for a fourth PPC and an ECM suite. Unlike the XL-engine equipped 8M, this Awesome retains its inability to be 'killed' by anything short of having its engine cored, or its head destroyed, with an increase in firepower by a full quarter.

Loadout:
4 Particle Projection Cannon
1 Small Laser

Modules:
Guardian ECM suite

Upgrades:
Double Heat Sinks (19)

General Armor Values: 16 tons of Durallex Heavy

Branwen

He need an Awesome just to carry him!  :)

Kayla, I sent you some picture ideas to try and help with your dilemma.

Sel Nar

Pretty much; His most-common complaint about any 'mech under 70 tons is that the cockpit is designed for dwarves. Nobody's ever tried to fit him into a Stinger, or Wasp. (both lights are so small that the pilot needs outside help getting Out of the cockpit, much less in)

Oh; bit of trivia regarding 'mech cockpits. Inner Sphere cockpits are, often, large enough, once the 'mech exceeds 60 tons, to have a foldout seat behind the pilot's chair, or more. The Atlas, for example has enough head space to not only have a collapsible surface-to-space antenna, but enough room for a small toilet, and a minifridge. Clan cockpits have no basic amenities, so they have to 'hold it' for their entire session in the 'mech. No wonder they're so grumpy.

Wargtass

The AWS-9Q wasn't introduced until 3057, so not until another 8 years.
O/O

Latooni Subota