WH40000 - what's your opinion?

Started by Beorning, August 09, 2014, 03:58:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountessJess

One hand holding the miniature, the other with the drill. At least, that's how I did it. Also, while you're at it, drill barrel holes for your bolters =)

Beorning

Oh, good idea!  :-)

Grr. I really wish I had more time to work on these minis... I have eight models that have been sitting on my shelf for a month now - and I can't find time to do anything with them. Not to mention that, considering how slow I am, these minis might represent two months' work for me...

Two months working on Sisters. Somehow, that makes me want go crazy and purchase some Daemonettes or Succubi. To paint something else for a change...

ChaoticSky

Just a PSI: dont drill holes in models in line with your hand, that way lies pain.

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Darkling on January 20, 2015, 06:50:33 PM
Just a PSI: dont drill holes in models in line with your hand, that way lies pain.

Khorne cares not from where the blood flows ;)
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Hemingway

I don't know how many times I've assured myself ( or others ) that cutting plastic with a razor-sharp scalpel is perfectly safe, only to slice myself open and paint my models in blood.

Thorne

Nothing like a blunt x-acto knife to remind you why you should change the blades frequently. Fortunately, those cuts didn't scar. :/
Writer of horrors, artist of mayhem.

Currently available, frequently lurking.
Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies
Ideas and inspirations: small groups

Beorning

Safety considerations noted :)

BTW. I just got a message from my game shop that they sent the rulebook to me today! It was supposed to take a month or so - but with some luck, I'll have the book before the weekend...

Hemingway

Awesome when that happens.

I was by the local gaming store today. I picked up some Warmachine minis more or less on a whim - mainly because I wanted to paint something new. Not quite Warhammer, but I'll share some pictures ( when it's not the middle of the night and the lighting is terrible ) of the stuff I've painted so far anyway. ;D

HairyHeretic

Warmachine is a good game too. I play Cryx. What'd you pick up?

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Hemingway

Legion ( so, Hordes, strictly speaking ). What can I say - I like dark elves.

I did want to get some Cygnar stuff, but they didn't have the Cygnar Battlegroup, so.

CountessJess

Privateer Press makes some lovely models =) I'm using Major Victoria Hayley as my Primaris Psyker for my Imperial Guard army.

Hemingway

Absolutely! I'm not a huge fan of monsters, but I'm painting some really cute ones right now. Tiny eyeless monstrosities.

I wanted Cygnar for that reason, too. Some of their casters look amazing!

Beorning

Show us pictures, then!

BTW. The rulebook is here!  ;D  ;D  ;D

... my dear, it's so thick...

HairyHeretic

I picked up a bunch of Legion with the intention of getting into Hordes, but then ended up not really doing so. They're mostly still sitting in their boxes, I probably ought to sell or trade them off one of these days. I have too many toy soldiers as it is :P

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Hemingway

Legion Shredder

I'm working on my Warlock at the moment. I'm not sure how good the results will be, as my color selection is a bit limited. I'm going to do my best with what I have, though.

EDIT: Yes, I am too lazy to remove mold lines.

CountessJess

Bad quality because phone and bad lighting because lousy student accommodation =(

But it's my Victoria Hayley next to my Scions command squad.

Oniya

Quote from: Hemingway on January 22, 2015, 11:52:37 AM
Legion Shredder

I'm working on my Warlock at the moment. I'm not sure how good the results will be, as my color selection is a bit limited. I'm going to do my best with what I have, though.

EDIT: Yes, I am too lazy to remove mold lines.

You're right.  It is kinda cute.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Beorning

Quote from: CountessJess on January 22, 2015, 11:59:29 AM

Bad quality because phone and bad lighting because lousy student accommodation =(

But it's my Victoria Hayley next to my Scions command squad.

So, you can do it? Bring miniatures from other games to represent something in WH40K?

BTW. What the heck is she standing on?

On another note, I just skimmed through the rulebook. That "Galaxy of War" section... yeah. I definitely want some Daemons and Dark Eldar now  :-)

TheGlyphstone

It's not a game, he just posed two models he painted next to each other.

Geez, Beorning. ;D

Beorning

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on January 22, 2015, 01:21:23 PM
It's not a game, he just posed two models he painted next to each other.

Geez, Beorning. ;D

"He" is a she, actually ;)

And she did say that she uses Hayley to represent a Psyker...

BTW. Crazy thought - let's figure out a way to play WH40K on the forum!  ;D

Hemingway

It'd be a bit of work, but you could probably play 40K on Roll20.

Lux12

I personally have developed a certain distaste for the setting. I'll admit the space marines are kind of awesome and I have a bit of fondness for the Eldar, but it feels like they go way out of their way to make everyone dislikable. I honestly I find the orks more sympathetic than most because they're simply an organism following their nature. The empire is an oppressive autcracy that worships a mere mortal and is violently xenophobic and intolerant. The Tau don't seem too bad until you learn they're also imperialists and favor a stiflingly rigid society as well. The chaos are omnicidal whack jobs and I don't like the idea that chaos is inherently bad. The Eldar at least aren't engaging in genocide and seem to be some of the least imperialistic and worship Deities that are neither omnicidal or mere mortals, but they created Slaanesh through sheer decadence. Then there's the orks. They may simply be organisms doing what they do but they are so entirely focused on war it's absurd. What irks me most is how the setting seemingly plays up the authoritarian, repressive empire as some kind of hero in all of this. They are the people I would want to fight against, screw the lore. Then there's the cultures the varying marine groups come from. They say so little about them that it disappoints me. Then there's the simple fact that the whole set up is so depressingly hopeless. There's a different between "dark" and simply soul crushing, nihilistic hopelessness.

When I first started learning about the setting I was intrigued and then came to develop a certain sense of disappointment as I learned more.  The fantasy setting is far more tolerable for me. 40,000k has some interesting ideas, but the above mentioned aspects make it hard for me to get into it.

Sorry if that came across as overly vitriolic, but that's my thought on the setting.

TheGlyphstone

Though it's worth noting that is sort of the point. If you take 40K seriously, like you seem to be, it collapses in on itself. It takes 'dark' and cranks it up past 'crushing nihilistic hopelessness' into 'twisted black comedy'. The absurdity is part of the charm to its fans, a world where the Evil Catholic Space Nazis actually are the good guys because everyone else is so much worse. It's ridiculous when subjected to serious analysis, so we just shut the critical parts of our brain off and enjoy the ride.

Fantasy isn't quite as extreme in part because it still holds pretensions of being a serious, gritty setting. 40K abandoned that ideal long ago...but its idea of 'humor' just might not mesh properly for you, it doesn't for everyone.

deadmanshand

Outside of Orks I don't really feel that 40k is meant to be black comedy. At all. It is literally meant to be GrimDark. That's been the whole damned point of it. It's not supposed to be a comedy because the Imperium are basically religious zealot nazi's. That is meant to be another aspect of the GrimDark of it. It's a way of saying "If these are the good guys how bad are the bad guys?". The whole setting is based off of the theme of the ends justify the means and demonizing your enemy.

There is no comedy to that. Until you get later editions and add in time traveling jackasses and senile warleaders. The first couple editions had things that were retconned out of existence because they were taken comedically. Very specifically stated to be done to take the game back to the tone it as always meant to have. Warhammer 40K is not a black comedy unless you choose to view it that way but that is your view. It's not the company's or the writers view.

TheGlyphstone

You need to go back and look at some of the earlier material, from 1e and 2e. The Squats, an entire race of dwarven space bikers. The Orks, who speak in cheesy Cockney accents as a parody of destructive football hooligans and whose leaders go by the British slang term for penis - you cannot seriously argue that the British writers of 1e/2e did not know what they were doing to have Ork bosses called 'Nobs'. The Space Marines, super-warriors of stereotypical paragon masculinity exaggerated to cartoonish proportions. That was how the early writers intended it to be.

If anything, it went through a surge of the writers losing focus of their own game - the definition of 'grimdark' is bleakness pushed into absurdity - and falling too deeply in love with the nihilism around 3e and 4e. They then started retconning stuff because it didn't fit with the 'new image' they wanted...coincidentally, this would have happened around the 90's and early 00's when the Dark Age of Comics was also popular. Now it's starting to soften up again under yet another crop of writers, into something between the humor of 2e and the over-seriousness of 4e.