Wireless router issues?

Started by Ravensahnk, February 01, 2012, 08:04:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ravensahnk

So I'm pulling my hair out over this.  My Wireless router is glitchy!  It disappears from my desktop, but when I try to connect at any time on my laptop, it either takes forever to connect and when it does connect, it randomly goes down...ALL THE TIME.  At least three or four times a day I have to poke and prod at the cables that are connected to it, but I don't know why it isn't connecting properly.  And to make matters worse, I've not a clue where the disk is for it, or how to edit it's network information to set up a password.

Oniya

What make and model is it?  I might be able to help out with the docs and software.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Ravensahnk

It's a linksys...and that's all I really know.  It was the middle grade one that Wal-mart was selling and that's all I really know.  It's black, thin and lightweight and has I believe four ports in the back.  :\  It's not much help, I just have no clue where my box got placed when I moved.

Oniya

This might be useful:  http://homesupport.cisco.com/en-us/support/linksys

It's got pictures of the different routers, instructions on where to find your model number, and says that they have downloads - which in most cases will include a PDF of the user manual and any drivers (and updates) needed.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Ravensahnk

Thank you Oniya.  I'm hoping that works, it had an update going from Software 1.0 to 3.0

For future references for me it was Model WRT160NV3

Right before this reply and download my Internet completely died.  I had no access what-so-ever.  I had to reboot and unplug the router for several minutes T.T  It's beginning to anger me lol.

Oreo

It's possible the router/modem might be failing. I have had that happen three times now (about once a year on average). My wifi goes through a series of progressively worse glitches where it stops connecting. The phone company just comes out to replace mine though. : ( Either way, I hope it clears up for you.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Serephino

Does the router say it's online?  It could also be your antenna. 

Ravensahnk

Oreo:  That could very well be a problem.  I know my aunt's router had a similar problem, though her's I couldn't connect to at all.  So I don't know.  I'm debating on purchasing a new one in a few weeks but I'm not quite sure yet.

As for SErephino...yeah it does say it's online

Jag

Not that this really helps your issue, but we have that exact same model and are having this exact issue at the moment as well. O_o
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

GothicFires

you should be able to access your router with out the disk through your web browser.

type 'cmd' in run box (or search if you are using windows 7)
once that is open type 'ipconfig'
note the number that corresponds to default gateway and plug it into your address bar.

there are at least two passwords when it comes to routers.
1. the one you use to log into the router itself
2. the one you use to connect to the network

Most routers do not require you to password protect them. So if you haven't set up a password for the router it should be easy.
looking for new games
discord: Agara#3507

Ravensahnk

-.-  So I can't remember the user name and password for it lol.  I was gonna try it GothicFires.

And Michi, my suggestion once you get a new one, avoid Linksys.  I've had a similar issue with my fiance's old router.  That is until I ran it over with my car XD