Terminator TV Series Paradox

Started by RubySlippers, February 12, 2008, 09:15:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RubySlippers

I was watching the new Terminator TV series I love the action, the plot and that GORGEOUS and powerful mother kicking ass for her son.

Kudos on that I loved her in 300 she is in her own now and I always LOVED darked haired women.

But here is the problem she wants to destroy Skynet that is the plot correct unless I missed it. But Skynet is the one that invented the Time Travel technology that allowed the Terminator in the first movie to come back. And after him the human man that was going to get her pregnant WITH the son she is protecting.

So if and when she destroys Skynet her son and that timeline ceases to exist her son will in fact die. SInce Skynet was not around to create the time technology to send the father back that impregnated her with John Connor. Therefore destroying the entire timeline in play.

So you can see if she succeeds she will fail to save her son- she will kill him or in a sense end his existance.

(sorry maybe I need to get a life but time travel plots always get me upset in sci-fi if not properly thought out)

Sherona

unfortunatly since Time is a relative thing, Time travel can never be thoroughly thought out. For example, you find a travel stone, and you go back in time to when you were a teenager,...someone shoots you in that time after you have made contact with your younger self...end of your life? Nope, cause your younger self will know you made it back in time, know you got shot..so in effect would choose NOT to go back or NOT to be at that particular spot...its a never ending circle of changing memories..*shrugs* Time travel will never be possible as since Time is not a physical thing, its just memories and in the minds of humans..

For the record...I dislike this series as I find it kind of cliche'd....

RubySlippers

Yes but the mother kicks ass, beautiful and deadly, how can she not be fun to watch.

Sherona

well yeah it is nice to see a tough as nails woman and not the same old "Silly Woman getting kidnapped and have to be rescued by a male counterpart" or "Woman who is kick-ass but only because she uses her sexual wiles to over come her male villians" type thing :)

MagicalPen

I think that while the goal is to kill skynet, they never will. Its going to be created one way or another - their search for it is just giving them the skills and knowledge to survive the end of the world when Skynet does happen. Skynet is supposed to happen in what - 4 or 5 years from now in the current storyline? That'll give them enough time to become proficient and smart fights, and for John Connor to become a leader - he is far from it right now.

Does that make sense?

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Looking/Available for New Games

Rydia

There are seeming paradoxes inevitable in ANY discussion of time travel, whether or not Sarah Connor retrospontaneously (yes, I made that word up) aborts her son, prevents Skynet from being constructed, or kills Reese's grandfather.

You cannot even posit the existence of a a time traveler who does not bring about any paradoxical. Even if he doesn't kill his own grandfather, i is nevertheless inevitable that he will cause some changes. If nothing else, he will displace certain air molecules, photons, and so on. But now, any change to the past is itself a paradox, for it implies that something both happened and did not happen at a particular moment in history. The time traveler will be visiting a past that did not originally include him. It follows that he both was and was not present at a particular moment in time. And that is obviously impossible.

My advice to you is to do what Basil Exposition suggested to Austin in "The Spy Who Shagged Me."  Relax, don't think about it too much, and enjoy yourself.  Or something like that.
Check it out.

What are you doing just reading this profile?  Say hello to the friendly Rydia.

RubySlippers

LOL   ;D

Its like other deep questions I have like in the most recent King Kong Movie how did they get him to New York in that ship the holds were all solid steel framework and could not FIT a rather huge gorilla like Kong in the hold. I didn't see a shipyard on the island with skilled engineers to redesign it on hand.  ???

Or in Angela's Ashes why was that sweet old lady ALWAYS next door even though they clearly moved several times.  ???

Or in the new Doctor Who how the heck did the Daleks have a prayer of defeating the Time Lords. In the series and I saw all the episodes the best they managed were crude time tunnels, pretty clearly the Time Lords could have snuffed the Daleks out at any time they wanted. Just go back and wipe out the planet before life evolved and no more threat. Hell they were the freakin TIME LORDS they coveted their power and often crushed anyone that would risk their mastery over it. That new line of episodes was just WRONG.  >:( ???

Serenity Vixen

Personally, I like the sexy not terminator model. I'd like both protective models for my own... protection please :)
"I once tried to take over the world, but then I got distracted by something shiny"
"There are 3 kinds of people in the world. Those that are good at math, and those who are not"

Sabby

Two ways to render a book/film endlessly debatable but confusing as all hell. Time travel and parallel dementions.

Rydia

Amusingly enough, alternate dimensions are often used to resolve time travel paradoxes.  A person really isn't travelling through time, but between alternate dimensions that include variant temporal coordinates.
Check it out.

What are you doing just reading this profile?  Say hello to the friendly Rydia.

Sabby

...as I said, confusing as all hell >.>