News:

Sarkat And Rian: Happily Ever After? [EX]
Congratulations shengami & FoxgirlJay for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Must See movies of 2011

Started by Callie Del Noire, January 05, 2011, 12:08:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Violence

Quote from: Michi No Sora on July 31, 2011, 06:08:12 PM
I saw Smurfs last night. I went by myself because no one would go with me. I liked it, but then I rarely have anything bad to say about a movie unless it's really, really bad acting and a bad story. Smurfs was a nice trip back to my childhood and one of those 'turn your brain off and just laugh' movies.

As for Hugo, my husband bought me the book for Mother's Day. I tore through it in less than a day and I've gone back to it several times just to look at the drawings and the detail in them. I wouldn't wait till after the movie, but that's just me.

Smurfs was kind of a recaptured part of my childhood a few years ago.  I'd leave it on Boomerang on the Satelite TV while I was working in a Video Store (back when people still rented from those *laughs*).  That's pretty much exactly what I expect out of the movie, coupled with a healthy dose of self-parody.  So I'm glad to have at least that much of a possitive review.

I probably will read it before then, I'm sure.  My class schedule starts back up soon and I like to have stuff to read between classes or for when I get there early.  I would just hope that it wouldn't make me enjoy the film less.

For example, I can't imagine how much of a pain in the ass I must be to watch Stardust with...
"Inciting Violence" (O/O) | "Random Acts of Violence" (Requests/Ideas) | Language of Violence (A Story I'm Working On)

And it all breaks down at the role reversal . Got the muse in my head she's universal . Spinnin' me round she's coming over me.
Domestic Violence (My OC's) | The Art of Violence (Stuff I Draw'd) | The Absense of Violence (A/A)

Cravings::  ANYTHING with Ballerinas! | Playing a cheating wife/girlfriend scenario. | Something that lets me play Jaime Lannister.

Jag

I have about 60+ episodes of Smurfs on my DVR. My daughter and I watch them together. We bought her (and secretly me) all the McDs Smurfs toys (which are now in Happy Meals) and she sets them up and stomps through them going 'rawr'. I <3 Smurfs. Gargamel made the movie. *nods*

I think the Hugo film looks really good from the previews. Very visually nice, just like the book. So I don't think it'll be an issue for this one.
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Violence

Quote from: Michi No Sora on July 31, 2011, 06:25:01 PM
I have about 60+ episodes of Smurfs on my DVR. My daughter and I watch them together. We bought her (and secretly me) all the McDs Smurfs toys (which are now in Happy Meals) and she sets them up and stomps through them going 'rawr'. I <3 Smurfs. Gargamel made the movie. *nods*

I think the Hugo film looks really good from the previews. Very visually nice, just like the book. So I don't think it'll be an issue for this one.

My favorite episode is the one with the mind-control rings... just because the entire thing confounds me. *laughs*  To be fair, though, Gargamel kinda made the show, too.

Well, I will trust your recommendation and pick it up, then. ^.^ I really do need to read more new stuff, instead of just re-reading Fight Club for like a fourth time...
"Inciting Violence" (O/O) | "Random Acts of Violence" (Requests/Ideas) | Language of Violence (A Story I'm Working On)

And it all breaks down at the role reversal . Got the muse in my head she's universal . Spinnin' me round she's coming over me.
Domestic Violence (My OC's) | The Art of Violence (Stuff I Draw'd) | The Absense of Violence (A/A)

Cravings::  ANYTHING with Ballerinas! | Playing a cheating wife/girlfriend scenario. | Something that lets me play Jaime Lannister.

Anyalyss

Paul was realy funny, I liked it too :p Anyway, from the top of my mind...

- Super 8 (loved it, Elle Fanning is very talented!)
- Cowboys and Aliens (went a few days ago with my SO, it was good except for a few nasty alien killing scenes, but oh well)
- The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 1 (*hides*)
- Johnny English Returns (it looks like lots of fun! here is the trailer)

Johnny English Reborn - First Trailer
O&O's    A&A's

Diabolus Lupus

Fright Night. Yep they remade it with Collin Farrell and Anton Yelchin (He was Chekov in JJ Abbrams Star Trek). Was actually a pretty good, I got passes to a free 3D showing.

The trailer for those interested...
Fright Night Movie: Trailer Premiere

Jag

I saw the trailer for that. I'm always iffy on vampire movies. Anton Yelchin was also the voice of Clumsy Smurf for the Smurfs movie! Which is, surprisingly, where I saw the preview for Fright Night. Didn't think they would show a preview for that in a kids movie. *shakes head*

Diabolus Lupus

maybe because they don't show much if any blood in trailers, and they also don't so the scene of the guy bemoaning leather's lacking of breathing while he tugs at the crotch of his leather pants.

and I thought the fact that Anton was Clumsy Smurf was amusing when I read that last night.

coolhands

That is awesome, I didn't know they were making a new Johnny English movie.  I am super excited for it now.  The first movie is so funny, it is one of the few movies that i can watch as many times as I want and find it funny every time.

Anyalyss

Yup! *giggles* he's just sooo much fun, I was dissapointed when Rowan announced that he would no longer play Mr. Bean, but, at least he's going to play mr. English again! ^^
O&O's    A&A's

Diabolus Lupus

Columbiana very good in my opinion.

Lady Kalypso

Oniya

Is it too early to put in the 2012 movies?  Because...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0401729/
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Inkidu

Quote from: Oniya on September 06, 2011, 08:43:44 PM
Is it too early to put in the 2012 movies?  Because...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0401729/
I was wondering what that was about. I saw it previewed for both Captain America: The First Avenger and Rise of the Planet of the Apes. Both of which I recommend as must-see movies.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Oniya

I liked the Mars books a lot more than the Tarzan books.  I even wanted to make my own Martian chess set.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Missy

Slaven

Quote from: Michi No Sora on July 31, 2011, 06:08:12 PM
I saw Smurfs last night. I went by myself because no one would go with me. I liked it, but then I rarely have anything bad to say about a movie unless it's really, really bad acting and a bad story. Smurfs was a nice trip back to my childhood and one of those 'turn your brain off and just laugh' movies.

As for Hugo, my husband bought me the book for Mother's Day. I tore through it in less than a day and I've gone back to it several times just to look at the drawings and the detail in them. I wouldn't wait till after the movie, but that's just me.

Glad I wasn't the only one who thought so. I found Smurfs absolutely fantastic. I went with my gf and a ton of our friends about a month back and we all loved it. I don't get how so many people complained about it. Actually, most of the people complaining didn't even actually grow up with the show..
Don't worry. That's not my breath on the back of your neck! >.>

Slaven's O/Os and some RP ideas!

Elfboi1337

I havn't heard much about anything except "The help". Anyone see it?

meowpiepanda

Quote from: Michi No Sora on August 05, 2011, 05:42:42 PM
I saw the trailer for that. I'm always iffy on vampire movies. Anton Yelchin was also the voice of Clumsy Smurf for the Smurfs movie! Which is, surprisingly, where I saw the preview for Fright Night. Didn't think they would show a preview for that in a kids movie. *shakes head*

Out of curiosity are there vampire movies you've particularly liked?  I think mostly what I tend to re-watch are certain fun cheesy ones with plot.
Ons and Offs     A/A

vtboy

The pickings in 2011 have been awfully slim, but "The Debt" was terrific, edge-of-the-seat suspense. Especially good was the first gynecologist scene -- can't remember when I've been more creeped out by something on screen.

Slaven

I'm picking up Thor tomorrow. :D Saw it in the theaters and loved it.
Don't worry. That's not my breath on the back of your neck! >.>

Slaven's O/Os and some RP ideas!

Chris Brady

Thor I need to get, as will Captain America, once it's out on BR or DVD.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

tsc

Quote from: Kuroneko on May 30, 2011, 10:58:35 PM
Priest was awesome.  It was like Firefly with vampires, lol.

Glad to see someone else liked Priest.  I know the critics hated it, and it didn't do well in theaters, but it doesn't pretend to be anything other than what it is:  a simple story where the badass hero kicks monster ass around.  I liked the vampires -- they were something original, instead of the same old slight-variant-on-the-usual vamps.

Sure, I saw all the plot twists coming a mile down the road, but it wasn't trying to be a movie with a complicated and innovative plot.  For what it was, I found it good.

Chris Brady

So Priest was just an action flick?  Nothing overly complicated?  Sounds good to me!  Will have to look for this one.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Belle33

Tonight, I saw Real Steel starring Hugh Jackman :P  and I'm pleased to recommend it. 

Movie going is such a nice escape.  You go, you sit in the dark with a lot of strangers.  You watch a movie that doesn't really add anything to your life.  And you leave, $20 or so poorer. 

This experience was something else.  Nothing life altering.  Just a good story, well cast, and well constructed.   

You want characters with some meat on their bones?  Done.

You like action? Done

You want to laugh?  Yes

You want to dance?  Got it

This film handled the integration of larger than life robots into the daily lives of people in a playful and interesting way.  I was pleasantly surprised, and almost found myself clapping with the rest of the audience when it ended....(almost - I'm not sure what the point of clapping at the movies is... but - yay for audience enthusiasm). 

It's a great little distraction and, yes, Hugh Jackman fans will not be disappointed. 

Ons/Offs, Stories & Poems, Currently Not Available for RP

Jag

*saw Real Steel yesterday*

It was nice. Not prolific in any way, but nice and cute.

Hugh Jackman shirtless is always worth it. *nods* Even if it's only for a minute or two. *nods again*