And now, a public health service

Started by Hades, March 22, 2013, 10:06:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hades

As your neighborhood Lord of the Underworld, collector of souls, and part-time mayor of a charming little village down by the coast, I thought I would share a bit of news with my fellow Elliquiy-ians, since it's such an obscure medical fact that many of you may not have been aware of already.   So go ahead, I'll wait while you sit down for your safety, before I blow your mind.
Ready?
Okay, so the big medical secret is *drum-roll*...drinking a pitcher of tea made of 100 tea bags daily for seventeen years tends to be very bad for your health.    Don't worry, I'll wait for your minds to recover.

In a somewhat more serious note, apparently a woman in Detroit, Michigan developed a rare bone disorder called skeletal fluorosis that comes from having too much flourine in your diet.  And since tea is a natural source of flourine, trying to bankrupt the Lipton company one pitcher at a time apparently gives you entirely too much flourine in your body to be removed naturally.  So it gets depoisted on the bones and ligaments and causes pain and other complications.

So the moral of the story?  An addiction to tea is a terrible thing.   Friends don't let friends brew excessively.   

*Original post about the woman's condition can be found here.

Oniya

One pitcher + 100 tea bags?  O_o  I think the most I've ever used was four.  Maybe 8 if it was a really big pitcher, or doing iced tea (where you brew it twice as strong because of all the ice you melt chilling it down.)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Hades

Yeah, that part threw me too.  I'm really hoping that it's a typo and they meant to say "10 bags".  Which is still more than I use personally, but at least that is a more reasonable number than 100.  >.<

Oniya

I just went and looked at 100 tea bags (actually, the Lipton box says 104.)  I can't imagine fitting much water into that pitcher once the tea bags were in there.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Formless

Wow ...

You know with all these medical discoveries about our food.

I,m waiting for them to say that " bread " is causing , god knows what ...

Stella

Thorne

I keep telling people, lipton isn't tea. :/
I'm not sure what it is, but clearly, it's not TEA. Hair rinse, maybe. Or I'm just a tea-snob. *grin*  (yes. I'm a tea-snob, kind of. And I share! Tea and cookies for all. Or fudge, if you'd rather).

Is it just lipton, or do other brands of tea also run this risk?
Writer of horrors, artist of mayhem.

Currently available, frequently lurking.
Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies
Ideas and inspirations: small groups

Hades

Quote from: Thorne on March 22, 2013, 05:58:05 PM

I think it's any type of tea.  The original article doesn't mention the brand that the woman drank, so I called it Lipton because I figured that was a brand that everyone would recognize when it comes to tea.

*Helps himself to some of the tea and cookies*

Chris Brady

I prefer Orange and White teas myself.

(Black is the most acidic, and you find in most Western style are Black, Orange is medium, and those are mostly East, as are the least acidic, or White Teas.)
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

WindVoyager

How much tea is that lady drinking? Far too much to be healthy if she got fluorine poisoning from it. She could be on that show, My Weird Obsession were those people have all manner of really unhealthy obsessions like eating chalk, deodorant and drinking gas.

Oniya

One pitcher a day for 17 years, made with 100 tea bags per pitcher.

WindVoyager

QuoteOne pitcher a day for 17 years, made with 100 tea bags per pitcher.

Good gods. What color are her teeth? I'm hopping the 100 bags is a typo, that would be some nasty strong tea.

Oniya

I didn't check for myself, but there's apparently a scientific journal article that specified either the total number of teabags/month or teabags/year.  The 100/day was back-factored from that.

(Edit:  Now, that was a typo!)

Endorphin

Then there's the added factor that brewing the tea becomes abhorrently expensive in order to achieve that lofty goal.

I was going to say prohibitively expensive, but that doesn't seem to be the case, now, does it. :P
"The imagination is the spur of delights... all depends upon it, it is the mainspring of everything; now, is it not by means of the imagination one knows joy? Is it not of the imagination that the sharpest pleasures arise?" - Marquis de Sade

Vekseid

I'm not sure what it is, but clearly, it's not TEA. Hair rinse, maybe. Or I'm just a tea-snob. *grin*  (yes. I'm a tea-snob, kind of. And I share! Tea and cookies for all. Or fudge, if you'd rather).

Nothing in the article specifically calls out Lipton. In fact Lipton might be safer >_>

According to Wikipedia it's endemic to tea-growing regions in China. This woman developed a 'mild' case - getting to the point where it causes pain and stiffness. Apparently in crippling cases, it's highly deforming, and makes clean recovery from broken bones highly unlikely. Flouridation hardens bone matter, as expected, but makes it more rigid and thus brittle. Good idea for teeth, not so much fun for shins.

Kippers

I drank too much tea one  day and got sick and had an anxiety attack, but crap. I didn't know it could jack up my bones too. I'm doomed.

Oniya

It took her that much tea over 17 years to get a mild form of the bone disease.  It's only because the doctor recognized the symptoms from places where it's endemic that the cause was figured out so quickly.

Unless you're putting away a full box of tea per day, I doubt that you're doomed.

Kippers

Because your avatar is hypnotic and surreal, I will now believe you. I am not doomed.

*walks away with arms straight out like a zombie*

Trieste

Quote from: Stella on March 22, 2013, 05:12:09 PM
What colour are her teeth?!

They aren't. NEJM article itself says, "Because of brittleness, all her teeth had been extracted."

Oniya

Quote from: Trieste on March 25, 2013, 03:22:56 PM
They aren't. NEJM article itself says, "Because of brittleness, all her teeth had been extracted."

Goes to show that you can have too much of a good thing (as Veks mentioned about fluoridation and bone matter.)

Ryven

Lipton has its place just like Velveeta has its niche.  The South pretty much survives on the vast amount of sweet tea that is brewed from Lipton and other plain black tea brands.

Oniya

Quote from: Ryven on March 25, 2013, 08:50:50 PM
Lipton has its place just like Velveeta has its niche.  The South pretty much survives on the vast amount of sweet tea that is brewed from Lipton and other plain black tea brands.

I save the good cheese for family and friends.  PTO luncheons are another story.  ;D

Ryven

Quote from: Oniya on March 25, 2013, 08:54:42 PM
I save the good cheese for family and friends.  PTO luncheons are another story.  ;D

In order to make a good mac n cheese, usually velveeta is in there somewhere with a nice strong flavored cheese added.  The velveeta is just there for consistency, really.

Trieste

Yeah, I don't know if asiago and parm are considered strong flavored cheese but the mother of one of my high school friends used to make a killer mac and cheese with those and velveeta.

Chris Brady

Now I want some REAL Mac and Cheese...
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming