What are you playing? [SPOILER TAGS PLEASE]

Started by Sabby, May 31, 2009, 12:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hemingway

I feel like I'm talking to myself talking about Tribes Ascend, but, man ... It's a great shooter. While some weapons definitely feel overpowered, they're very situational. It mostly applies to automatic weapons, which make jetpack duels far less interesting. Normally, you're bouncing around, timing your shots so they impact where your enemy lands, when he lands. With an automatic, you just aim and spray.

That's not quite as satisfying as using a sticky grenade launcher with an enemy chasing you at over a 100 kilometers an hour, then hitting a wall and stopping, blasting off with your jetpack while planting grenades along the ground below you, so that the enemy chasing you rushes into them and explodes into a million pieces. I can't claim it was purely skill, but man it felt good.

In other news, I also felt good in SWTOR. I play it for PvP and RP, and I have a group of friends I do PvP with basically every night. One problem is that we're Republic players, and, well, the number of PvPers on the server is only so big, so we quite often come up against a group of Empire players who .. are basically way better than any other PvPers on the server. They basically win whatever they're in, and ... that leads to a lot of frustration a lot of times.

But not tonight. Because we beat them, hands down, in a straight fight. A bunch of semi-random players against the best they had, and we beat them by a decent margin. That ... was satisfying.

Tonalberry

Finally managed to get Tera yesterday, after fixing an issue with my bank card.  Let it patch through the night, and played some this morning before work, and then a little more when I got home.  So far, it's pretty fun.  When you make your first character, you get a pretty quick, 10 minute or so prologue to run through, where you're level 20.  It teaches you the basics, and lets you get a feel for how your character is supposed to play.  After that, whenever you make a new character, you can choose whether or not you want to skip the prologue, since it's the same no matter what race/class you make.  I went with a Castanic, a horned, elf-like race, Slayer, which is a lightly armored, two-handed sword DPS class.  They use evasive flips and rolls to dodge enemy attacks.   

Then, just for shits and giggles, I went ahead and made an Elin Berserker.  They Elin are the loli-ish race, but rather than just looking like little girls, they also have animal ears and tails.  Ranging from foxes, cats, dogs, I think, squirrels, and something else, I can't tell.  So yeah, Korea.  Full of creepy pedos...and StarCraft addicts.  But, it is possible to make an Elin that just looks cute, without being creepy, which is what I did.  You also get to choose a voice when you make your character, with the same 4 or 5 choices for all the races.  So my little squirrel girl, who has a greataxe bigger than she is, also sounds like she should be a normal sized woman in her 40's, with a deep voice.  Like I said, shits and giggles.

So far, I've only played the game with a keyboard and mouse, and it works just fine that way.  But I'm thinking about plugging in my Playstation gamepad and seeing how that works.  It only works with Playstation and XBox gamepads, so no pulling out that old SNES gamepad and trying to use that.

Brandon

Quote from: Hemingway on May 24, 2012, 07:21:14 PM
I feel like I'm talking to myself talking about Tribes Ascend

Welcome to the club, I was talking about Tribes for weeks but nobody seemed to care
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Inkidu

Quote from: Brandon on May 25, 2012, 12:28:49 AM
Welcome to the club, I was talking about Tribes for weeks but nobody seemed to care
So sue me, I can't play a predominantly-online FPS. Some of us don't have what you would call this magic demon sorcery of high-speed internet. :P
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Hemingway

Inkidu

If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Sabby

Well, that was amazing. Seriously, that was one of the most fulfilling victories I've had in a game in recent memory.

I won't type up a massive recap like usual, so in as short a fashion I can, we were fighting some Goblins and out of no where a Chimera just jumps in. These things like strafing runs, so they're hard to get a hold of, basically like moving turrets. It was completely wiping the floor with us, tossing my one fighter around while I rained down homing arrows 10 at a time to try and hurt it. Finally, I switch to staff, and me and my healer just barrage it with fire, and when it moves too much, I shock it to stun it. Finally, the tail comes off.... and my Healer erupts a torrent of fire underneath it.

As one, me and my Fighter hurl ourselves onto it's back, slice the goats head off, drag it to the ground and just wail on it. It throws us off, roars and stuns everyone when it scrabbles to it's feet, but I sprint at it and launch right onto it's face, shanking it's eye over and over. The Fighter gets on the back of it's neck, the Healer smothers it in fire, and we bring it down.

Fucking epic.

Sabby

Walking through a cave, big ape like thing see's my loli, tilts it's head and starts dancing and hooting.

"It is excited by the presence of women!"

O.O

RUN! D=

I NEED AN ADULT! I NEED AN ADULT!

Wolfy

Quote from: Sabby on May 25, 2012, 08:12:04 PM
Walking through a cave, big ape like thing see's my loli, tilts it's head and starts dancing and hooting.

"It is excited by the premise of women!"

O.O

RUN! D=

And what game is this?

Inkidu

Quote from: Sabby on May 25, 2012, 08:12:04 PM

"It is excited by the premise of women!"

O.O

RUN! D=

Did one of them really say that? 0_o

The most exciting thing I did in a game today was a perfect Arkham City combo.

For the uninitiated that means doing the following:

Strike, counter, overhead jump, cape stun, ground take-down, quickfire baterang, quickfire electrogun, knife-counter, jump-smash, disarm and destroy, sonic bat vortex thingy, takedown, multi-takedown (it has to hit), quickfire explosive gel, quickfire batclaw, quickfire ice grenade, and (because you never use it on one enemy that shows up twice) super cape stun.

All that, one combo, no damage, no breaking it. Sanity is a fragile thing. Look ducks!

|\__(o)>  |\__( -)<  |\__(n)>

Sabby

Yeah, I got all the Gamerscore for the first Arkham, but with Arkham City, I'm not touching the high level Achievements just now... did what I can, but Perfect Combo is not even on the table right now. Good work on that man, seriously. How long did it take?

And Wolfy, it's Dragons Dogma. And yes, my team mate did yell that the monkey things get excited by women. And it's actions were't aggressive, it looked genuinely excited the way it jumped and hollered. I just sieged a fort full of Goblins, took down four Cyclops, a Chimera, and narrowly escaped a Dragon, but a dark cave with a 12 foot tall horny gorilla? My 10 year old Elven Magick Archer didn't have a Stamina bar long enough!

Inkidu

I started it a couple of days ago so all-in-all it probably took me three hours and the kicker was that I squeaked the last cape stun of the super cape stun in there just as an assassin hit me with a regular sword attack. My reaction went something like this

NOOOOOOOOOOOO--*bing*YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

Sabby

I can't keep up with things like this. Guitar Hero, DDR, certain QTE's, anything that demands a constant and rapid series of buttons will confuse me. Same problem with keyboards, after a couple of seconds of movement, my fingers just get lost. So whenever I hear a game has a scoring system I'm not happy about it -.- granted, the Arkham games aren't as bad, but start racking up a combo in anything and you're on the clock, and that makes me rush and then I fuck up. I don't like it. Arkham City is a fucking perfect game, but I'd enjoy it a lot more if it didn't have a combo system.

Inkidu

Quote from: Sabby on May 26, 2012, 06:02:15 AM
I can't keep up with things like this. Guitar Hero, DDR, certain QTE's, anything that demands a constant and rapid series of buttons will confuse me. Same problem with keyboards, after a couple of seconds of movement, my fingers just get lost. So whenever I hear a game has a scoring system I'm not happy about it -.- granted, the Arkham games aren't as bad, but start racking up a combo in anything and you're on the clock, and that makes me rush and then I fuck up. I don't like it. Arkham City is a fucking perfect game, but I'd enjoy it a lot more if it didn't have a combo system.
I think the flow of it is a little more intrinsic than arbitrary. They've also added in a few fudges to the system this time around. You can do any number of overhead jumps without breaking your combo and stuff like that.

It irritates me sometimes, but it does help motivate you into that mode of badass that Batman is. When he's taking down fourteen people with guns with his bare hands and some clever gadgets.

EDIT: I can't believe it. Greatest. Shot. Ever. I'm playing Deus Ex: HR and unless I'm going nonlethal or full combat I don't carry anything but the totally modded 10mm pistol. It's compact, plentiful ammo, and punches through  medium armor easily enough. So I'm lining up a shot on a guy who's on the other side of the catwalk. It's in the first big hideout so if you've played you know it's probably greater than a football field by some change.

Well guy's walking I put the dot on him and it looks like he's going to drop right out of the way. I led him. He walked right into it, it was magnificent. However, he fell right in  the path of a camera.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUU! >__<#

Sabby

Quote from: Inkidu on May 26, 2012, 06:43:41 AM
They've also added in a few fudges to the system this time around. You can do any number of overhead jumps without breaking your combo and stuff like that.

Yeah, see, that doesn't actually help much. You're still like MOVE MOVE MOVE MOVE MOVE DON'T BREAK RHYTHM DODGE DODGE DODGE. You're still moving to prolong this combo counter and it makes it hard to think. I prefer fighting games where it's not considered a blunder to stop and consider/anticipate an attack. So naturally, the Captain America game was like a dream come true for me. Arkham Asylum's combat system without the combo thing hounding you.

Exelion

Quote from: Inkidu on May 26, 2012, 06:43:41 AM
I think the flow of it is a little more intrinsic than arbitrary. They've also added in a few fudges to the system this time around. You can do any number of overhead jumps without breaking your combo and stuff like that.

It irritates me sometimes, but it does help motivate you into that mode of badass that Batman is. When he's taking down fourteen people with guns with his bare hands and some clever gadgets.

EDIT: I can't believe it. Greatest. Shot. Ever. I'm playing Deus Ex: HR and unless I'm going nonlethal or full combat I don't carry anything but the totally modded 10mm pistol. It's compact, plentiful ammo, and punches through  medium armor easily enough. So I'm lining up a shot on a guy who's on the other side of the catwalk. It's in the first big hideout so if you've played you know it's probably greater than a football field by some change.

Well guy's walking I put the dot on him and it looks like he's going to drop right out of the way. I led him. He walked right into it, it was magnificent. However, he fell right in  the path of a camera.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUU! >__<#

Loved Deus Ex: HR. I just wish that, for those of use that went purely nonlethal/stealthy, the game had given some better options for dealing with the forced boss battles.

Inkidu

Quote from: Exelion on May 26, 2012, 09:47:12 PM
Loved Deus Ex: HR. I just wish that, for those of use that went purely nonlethal/stealthy, the game had given some better options for dealing with the forced boss battles.
I treat them as purely combat interludes. They actually have little impact on the narrative. There are some fun things you can do though, and save for the last one the first two can be done fast even for sneaky people. Besides nonlethal runs to don't count the bosses. :D

Exelion

Quote from: Inkidu on May 26, 2012, 09:59:10 PM
I treat them as purely combat interludes. They actually have little impact on the narrative. There are some fun things you can do though, and save for the last one the first two can be done fast even for sneaky people. Besides nonlethal runs to don't count the bosses. :D
Oh I know. I just wish there were options besides "shoot the dude". The first Deus Ex you could literally talk or hack your way through anything.

I played through the second time as a "charge in and shoot EVERYTHING" type...just lacked the appeal of sneaking around and hiding bodies.

Inkidu

Quote from: Exelion on May 26, 2012, 10:14:12 PM
Oh I know. I just wish there were options besides "shoot the dude". The first Deus Ex you could literally talk or hack your way through anything.

I played through the second time as a "charge in and shoot EVERYTHING" type...just lacked the appeal of sneaking around and hiding bodies.
I don't know busting down Icarus style knocking away the people and then busting out a typhoon blast to wipe everyone out. Or running full out popping off three shot burst head shots with a sniper rifle and then double killing another two people.

Exelion

Typhoon, fully upgraded, is in fact rigged. Don't get me wrong the combat was fun, I just seemed to enjoy being sneaky.

Inkidu

Trying to figure out what to play in the future. So many good games are dropping this Fall.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown, October 9th.
Assassin's Creed III
Resident Evil 6

Shoot, how am I going to afford all this? Well.... XCOM's going to be a late birthday present.

Bayushi

Giving Aion a try, since it's now Free to Play.

Exelion

Quote from: Akiko on May 27, 2012, 01:12:50 PM
Giving Aion a try, since it's now Free to Play.

it's....not a bad game....just not what I'd call good either. Spamming and bots aside (and there still is quite a bit of that), the combat is still fairly standard fair, and questing is gernally kinda slow and dull. There's a "story" questline your character engages in that's somewhat interesting. And the flight mechanic is fun, if underused.

I understand high level game/pvp is quite fun, but I can't see myself playing long enough to get there. Ah Guild Wars 2, you have spoiled me.

Hemingway

I'm about to be playing something I can't talk about 'cos it's a closed beta.

I just thought I'd share.

So people can be curious.