News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

It's a boy!

Started by Kythia, July 22, 2013, 02:44:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kythia

The Duchess of Cambridge has popped. 

Moraline

Oniya

*laughs*  I was wondering why this thread title was showing up in PROC!  Have the Twitwits broadcast the name of the new heir?
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

gaggedLouise

The odds on "Kevin" or "Conny" are reputed to be very high (make sure you read that right...)  ;)

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Kythia

Not yet.  My money was on James but now I think it'll be George.  Easel will be up soon, suspect the name will be on that,

Actually kinda exciting.  Was hoping for a girl but still.

Neysha

I'm hoping he'll be named Joffrey.
My Request Thread
Ons & Offs/Role-Plays Current and Past
FemDex: Index of Fictional Women
F-List Profiles: Constance Carrington, Damashi, SCP6969
Prepare For The Next Eight Years
Find me on Discord at: mnblend6567
Credit for Avatar goes to "LoveandSqualor" on Deviant Art. (and Hayley Williams)

Cyrano Johnson

Quote from: Moraline on July 22, 2013, 02:54:27 PM

The other, other white meat.  >:)

I've never really connected with Royal-watching, but it's good to see people happy.
Artichoke the gorilla halibut! Freedom! Remember Bubba the Love Sponge!

Cyrano Johnson's ONs & OFFs
Cyrano Johnson's Apologies & Absences

Trieste

Quote from: Oniya on July 22, 2013, 02:58:54 PM
*laughs*  I was wondering why this thread title was showing up in PROC!  Have the Twitwits broadcast the name of the new heir?

We have much more important things to discuss regarding #RoyalBaby.

gaggedLouise

I heard yesterday Prince Charles is said to be considering using the royal name of King George VII when he ascends the throne. One of the Charles'es that have ruled before was beheaded by parliament, not a happy memory to invoke - and Charles does have George as one of his given names.

Oniya

I've heard rumors for a long time that the Queen was looking more to William or Harry to succeed her.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Kythia

Quote from: Oniya on July 23, 2013, 12:14:33 AM
I've heard rumors for a long time that the Queen was looking more to William or Harry to succeed her.

Not a chance in hell. And not up to her anyway even if she did want it.

Nico

So very, very awesome. ;) I am so happy for the Duke and the Duchess.

Ah well, sometimes i'm a Patriot. ;D

And with all those bad news each day, something like this is like a gem.

Beguile's Mistress

It will more than likely be a few days before a name is announced according to reports from the UK.  Two specials ran on US network television this evening both saying the same thing.

Nico

I hope they will not name the boy George. James is good, I like James. But George? Please, no. I understand that it would be very traditional and suitable to the family but still.

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Oniya on July 23, 2013, 12:14:33 AM

But would she want to make her own son step down from his place? Anyway, Charles is not likely to rule for that many years. A bit like Edward, who had to wait out the exceptionally long-lived Victoria...

Louis was never going to be on the list of likely British royal names, though Louise would have been viable had it been a girl (princess Louise, daughter of Queen Victoria, etc)  :-)

Quote from: Nicholas on July 23, 2013, 12:22:34 AM
I hope they will not name the boy George. James is good, I like James. But George? Please, no. I understand that it would be very traditional and suitable to the family but still.

Someone commenting in the UK already made the link to Boy George, so umm...

Oniya

Quote from: gaggedLouise on July 23, 2013, 12:23:55 AM
But would she want to make her own son step down from his place? Anyway, Charles is not likely to rule for that many years. A bit like Edward, who had to wait out the exceptionally long-lived Victoria...

Well, she was kind of ticked off at him over the whole Camilla thing. 

gaggedLouise

Mmm, but I think her instinct as a monarch would be to hope the breakup of his marriage will not be a big deal to anyone except to a devoted band of followers of Lady Di - when the time is finally coming for Charles to step up.

This guy died before he had a chance to cause even more trouble (note the allegations that he could possibly have been Jack the Ripper...)

Oniya

... But he did last long enough to get a piercing named after him!  X-D

Beguile's Mistress

Princess Diana, who would have been the child's grandmother, has already had a strong effect on the new heir to the throne and will continue to do so because of her revolutionary, for the royal family, methods of child rearing.  I'm not looking for it for the first son, maybe the second, but the name Spencer was rumored to be one of the names that could be selected.

I'm looking for something like Edward John Albert Philip but I'm not sure if that is acceptable - two uncles, one grandfather and one great-grandfather.

Moraline

The discussion of royal succession is an interesting one. Last I heard, essentially Canada's laws will impact succession (for better or worse). I can't say that I studied them thoroughly but I do know that succession is not up to the royal family. The process is decided currently by governmental legislation and regulation.

Here's some links to the recent scuttlebutt around it:
Legal challenge on Canada’s Royal succession laws could echo through the Commonwealth
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/dailybrew/legal-challence-canada-royal-succession-laws-could-echo-210122469.html

Could Quebecers give royal baby the bump? Law to allow female succession may require constitutional amendment
http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/06/10/could-quebecers-give-royal-baby-the-bump-law-to-allow-female-succession-may-require-constitutional-amendment/

Succession to the Crown Act 2013
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Succession_to_the_Crown_Act_2013

Anyways.. I can't be arsed to read though it all because I don't care that much but I'm sure someone here might be curious enough to study what's going on and comment on it.

Personally...

If it were up to me, I'd say we make the position of King/Queen completely a celebrity thing and have absolutely no power at all of any kind. Then we should have a reality TV show around it - UK's Got Royalty! (Season 1)

Cyrano Johnson

The Canadian Succession to the Crown mess actually brings up Canada's ongoing political trainwreck at the hands of the Harper Government. What's at issue is not the law itself but the fact that it proposes a kind of change which would normally require Constitutional amendment; when a government that's enmeshed in an endless array of ongoing scandals because it openly hates oversight and transparency tries to sidestep normal process, this concerns some people.

Finally saw the royal baby. I think he looks like a George.

Kythia

Would the constitutional amendment not pass anyway - assuming one was needed?  Not gonna be an issue for like thirty years but is even Quebec gonna stand up and say "We don't think women should be treated equally under law", which is essentially the position they'd be forced to argue.

Cyrano Johnson

Quote from: Kythia on July 23, 2013, 04:19:47 PM
Would the constitutional amendment not pass anyway - assuming one was needed?

It probably would have done so routinely, yes. Which makes it curious as to why they tried to sidestep it. (Basically the Harper government seems to suffer from a chronic need to behave in Big Swinging Dick fashion even when it's totally unnecessary and counterproductive to whatever they're doing.)

Kythia

"Harper acts like a nob and refuses to interact".  Hold the front page.

Cyrano Johnson