Deception: Murder in Hong Kong/CS Files (Rules and OOC)

Started by Galactic Druid, December 17, 2015, 02:47:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

persephone325

....Uh, what are we talking about?

I was distracted by BAMF's avatar. >.>

Oh! Right! No objections from me.
This doesn't have to end in a fight, Buck.
It always ends in a fight.
You pulled me from the river. Why?
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

Verasaille

I have gone off in search of myself. If I should get back before I return, please keep me here.

Galactic Druid

I am going to make room for one more for perse, so I'll add an additional role to help keep things balanced;

Player roles

The game will have 8 Investigators. You roles is to use the clues to discover the murderer.

The game will have one Murderer. You committed the crime, and will reveal your weapon and evidence to the forensic scientist, who has to try and get the other players to figure you out through clues.

The game will have one Accomplice. You will know who the murderer is, and win if they do. You goal is to spread confusion at the table.
A/As last updated 11/27 - Halfway past busy season!

BAMF

Quote from: persephone325 on January 04, 2016, 11:17:52 PM
....Uh, what are we talking about?

I was distracted by BAMF's avatar. >.>

Oh! Right! No objections from me.

;)  ;D ;D ;)
»O/O’s«»Ideas«»A/A's«
Great things are done
by a series of small things
brought together.

»Vincent Van Gogh«

persephone325

Quote from: BAMF on January 04, 2016, 11:52:59 PM
;)  ;D ;D ;)

lol I'm not a fan of...what the hell was the show? Doctor Who, I think? See. I don't know. Haha.

But I did watch the Fright Night remake because Colin Farrell is a fucking gorgeous Irishman. <3 And David Tennant was just an added bonus in that getup. ^^
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

Galactic Druid

Alright, so everyone's cards are posted. You guys are free to look them over. It's not a bad idea to give them a look over and think about which ones you'd want to use if you turn out to be the murderer. Which one would be hard to identify? Generally speaking, cards that are similar to other players give you a lot of cover to hide behind as people try to narrow it down, while cards that are more unique (like being worked to death) tend to be harder for the forensic scientist to identify as they give clues.

Another thing to mention is that the evidence cards are very open to your interpretation. The toy card for example, is purposely vague, and could be any toy. Similarly, any means of murder card that references drugs may not necessarily mean an overdose, but a tainted drug that was poisoned or something, so poisoning or illness/disease might apply to those, depending on the scientist's interpretation. Similarly, Machinery could refer to a variety of devices.

The key thing to remember here is that one of you is the murderer, and to win, you need to not only figure out who it was, but also what combination of weapon card they used, and key evidence card they left behind. The murderer is only about to pick one each of their own two sets of four cards.

Verasaille

Am I missing something? Where are the cards posted? We don't get them PM'ed to us?
I have gone off in search of myself. If I should get back before I return, please keep me here.

yugi006

Verasaille

Blythe

Hate to do this so suddenly, all, but I gotta withdraw. Wishing you folks the best, and I hope y'all enjoy the game! :)

Kythia

BAMF

Yes! Give Kythia Sherlock's spot! Doooo eeet!

*totally wants to sass at Kythia*
»O/O’s«»Ideas«»A/A's«
Great things are done
brought together.

»Vincent Van Gogh«

Remiel

*squints at BAMF's avatar* is that...David Tennant?  Why does he look like Criss Angel?

BAMF

Quote from: Remiel on January 05, 2016, 02:32:07 AM
*squints at BAMF's avatar* is that...David Tennant?  Why does he look like Criss Angel?
According to Persephone,
Quote from: persephone325 on January 05, 2016, 12:06:07 AM
But I did watch the Fright Night remake because Colin Farrell is a fucking gorgeous Irishman. <3 And David Tennant was just an added bonus in that getup. ^^
it's from the remake of Fright Night, which a quick Google search tells me, came out in 2011.

I've not seen it personally. A gifset came across my dashboard on Tumblr & I had to have it. >.>
»O/O’s«»Ideas«»A/A's«
Great things are done
brought together.

»Vincent Van Gogh«

persephone325

Quote from: BAMF on January 05, 2016, 02:38:52 AM
According to Persephone,
it's from the remake of Fright Night, which a quick Google search tells me, came out in 2011.

I've not seen it personally. A gifset came across my dashboard on Tumblr & I had to have it. >.>

A lot of people don't like it, though.

I'm one of the weird ones. Like you guys didn't already know that. lol

Colin Farrell and vampires? I couldn't pass that up. He can be MY neighbor... Unf.
I don't know.

Verasaille

Is there an order to the play at all? I mean who goes first, etc.

Assassini

Quote from: Verasaille on January 05, 2016, 03:34:31 AM
Is there an order to the play at all? I mean who goes first, etc.

Never played the game at all, but as I understand: no, there is no order of play. We can all immediately get to chatting.

However, it is currently a pointless exercise as we need the Forensic Investigator (TRPG, yes?) to post the first details about the murder.

So, correct me if I'm wrong, but TRPG will post some clues via a board and we then have to discuss what the clues mean. Admittedly, I didn't fully understand the board system from the description given, but I'm sure that'll clear up as we play.

Galactic Druid

Quote from: Kythia on January 05, 2016, 01:47:27 AM
Can I take sherlock's seat? Didn't get in in time.

Yes, absolutely! I'll PM you their role!

Galactic Druid

Quote from: Assassini on January 05, 2016, 04:38:32 AM
Never played the game at all, but as I understand: no, there is no order of play. We can all immediately get to chatting.

However, it is currently a pointless exercise as we need the Forensic Investigator (TRPG, yes?) to post the first details about the murder.

So, correct me if I'm wrong, but TRPG will post some clues via a board and we then have to discuss what the clues mean. Admittedly, I didn't fully understand the board system from the description given, but I'm sure that'll clear up as we play.

I promise, it's pretty simple in practice. In short, I'll be giving you guys 6 clues selected from possible sets. The clues are set into small boards so that they can be shuffled and drawn randomly, that was the forensic scientist isn't always giving the same type of clue each game.

Once I drop the first clue, discussion can begin. The first 2 clues will always be cause of death and location, but the FS chooses which they give first.

Galactic Druid

Remiel

Wait, I have a question, RPGuy.  Could your clues (Location of Crime, Cause of Death, State of the Scene) refer to any of the Evidence cards as well as the Means of Murder cards?  Because, if so, I've been going about this all wrong.

Galactic Druid

Needless to say, I can't tell you exactly what I'm trying to imply, but ideally, the clues the forensic scientist gives should help the players find both the key evidence as well as the murder means.

Sometimes it all falls into place nicely; say the murderer used a knife and had food ingredients as their key evidence. Playing the kitchen as a location is a great way to indicate both. Other times, the two will be much harder to indicate in a single clue, and the scientist will need to divide their attention. Let's say the cards picked were a pistol and teddy bear as key evidence. The forensic scientist plays a card indicating the victim was young. That tells you very little about the means used (they may use other cards for that, such as an indication the death was sudden), but it does give a decent hint for the evidence card.

One game I was in the murderer thought they had it dead to rights; there were so many blunt instruments around the table. He had a table leg and wrench, other players had candlesticks, hammers, steel pipes, police batons, a baseball bat etc. however, the key evidence they used was "grass". The forensic gave the location as the park. At that point, most of the table was so focused on him for having one of the few pieces of evidence that could fit, that they got him by process of elimination. That was a little lucky though, as the players could have just as easily seen park and focused on the baseball bat. It's really up to the players to keep an open mind about how the evidence could be interpreted.

Assassini

Hey folks. Sorry I've been so inactive in the game over the past couple of days. I started back at work around the same time and so I've been pretty knackered the last few days as I try get back into a normal sleeping pattern. Add the that to the surprisingly rapid pace of the game and I haven't engaged the way I'd normally like to. Hopefully will properly dive in over the next few days.

Verasaille

I have a question regarding the accomplice. Would it make sense to look at the evidence and murder weapon, etc, of two people?

Galactic Druid

Quote from: Verasaille on January 08, 2016, 05:43:39 PM
I have a question regarding the accomplice. Would it make sense to look at the evidence and murder weapon, etc, of two people?

Not really. The investigators, and FS win if the investigators correctly guess the means and evidence cards used in the crime, which will always be the murderer's. The accomplice is there to try and confuse the investigators, and is usually only used in larger games, since more players means more guesses.