News:

Main Menu

Miniature painting

Started by Beorning, August 12, 2015, 05:32:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dhi

Vampire Allister from the Kingdom Death Halloween grab bag is finished. That's 4/4 survivors done, 3/5 Disciples of the Witch, but back to square one on the Flower Witch centerpiece.  :-(

Dhi

Pinup Twilight Order Knight is finished!

Dhi

Kingdom Death Dark Elf Variant is finished. My goodness this drow is curvy!

All told I finished 80 pieces in 2017. This was enough to obliterate one Roubloff brush, which now looks like turkey foot grass. Thank you for your service, Roubloff #1.

Arkaniel

Done a lot of work on my legio Custodes this week for the upcoming Horus heresy tournament.

TheLaughingOne

... Damn. Those be fancy..
My Ons and Offs!

You! On our wavelength! Carry our message, its heavy! Made of rocks!! Apocolypso dancing! SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY! You'll want to cut your wrists with the whole knife, but you'll only need the edge!

Arkaniel

They are hopefully going to win a tournament for me. Haha.

2500 points of age of darkness legio custodes

Dhi

Nice smooth gold, I love it.

greenknight

Quote from: Dhi on January 02, 2018, 07:39:14 PM
Quote from: Arkaniel on January 02, 2018, 03:39:31 PM

Nice smooth gold, I love it.
They look like something out of a gloriously kitschy Flash Gordon homage! ;) :P
When you bang your head against the wall, you don't get the answer, you get a headache.

O/O: https://elliquiy.com/forums/onsoffs.php?u=46150

Beorning

Quote from: Dhi on December 28, 2017, 12:16:45 AM
Vampire Allister from the Kingdom Death Halloween grab bag is finished.

Quote from: Dhi on January 01, 2018, 06:56:24 PM
Kingdom Death Dark Elf Variant is finished. My goodness this drow is curvy!

Photos or it doesn't count  ;D  ;D  ;D

BTW. I managed to assemble that dreaded Druze hacker I screwed up a month ago... Again, thank you for suggestions, Dhi :)

Dhi

Awesome! I'm glad you could salvage her.

Until we get some warmer weather here, pictures would be terrible. Worse than usual. The way I paint leaves a gloss finish that doesn't photograph well until hit with dullcote.

Beorning

I see.

I don't have anything new to show, either - right now, I'm focusing on assembling the minis, not painting them. I want to actually start playing Infinity, it won't happen if I insist on painting each mini after assemblage ;)

Beorning

Aaaaand... I actually went against what I wrote this morning and tried painting something new for Infinity (the female Hunzakut).

The results are... frustrating. Everything was going fine until I got to painting the face. The face... came out disastrous. I tried painting some basic eyes and the mini ended looking like a rotting zombie  >:( Crap! These faces are the bane of me.

Photos coming up after I base the mini...

Arkaniel

Quote from: Beorning on January 05, 2018, 04:38:57 PM
Aaaaand... I actually went against what I wrote this morning and tried painting something new for Infinity (the female Hunzakut).

The results are... frustrating. Everything was going fine until I got to painting the face. The face... came out disastrous. I tried painting some basic eyes and the mini ended looking like a rotting zombie  >:( Crap! These faces are the bane of me.

Photos coming up after I base the mini...

I always give my marines helmets when I can, because I’m terrible at the faces, too!

Pockets

In the (in)famous words of Kenny Boucher, paint them glowing like superheroes or skip over them entirely because no matter how good you are it always looks crappy.

I hold to that. I rarely do more than paint white in an area established by the sculpt. Otherwise I leave it unpainted and say 'his/her eyes are closed at the moment'.
08/02 - New A/A Update

eBadger

I've tried to do eyes a few times, but found that anything less than great ones just detract from the model, and they're a detail that's really not very impactful during actual play rather than zoomed in photos.  I stick to shadows and highlights. 

Dhi

We had a quite nice day of 40, so I got that dullcote on.

Disciple of the Witch #??

Vampire Allister:

Hildegard von Kronigsmark

Pinup Twilight Order Knight:

Dark Elf Variant:

eBadger

Those drow skin tones are fantastic!

Dhi

Thank you!

From darkest to lightest, those colors are

RMS Dusky Skin Shadow + 1/2 drop violet ink
RMS Dusky Skin Shadow + VMC English Uniform + 1/3 drop violet ink
RMS Dusky Skin + VMC English Uniform + 1/3 drop violet ink
RMS Dusky Skin Highlight + VMC English Uniform + 1/3 drop violet ink
VMC Deck Tan + VMC English Uniform + 1/4 drop violet ink

Beorning

Very nice, as usual, Dhi :)

I especially like the glowing staff of the Disciple. Very nice colours!

Beorning

Alright, here's the promised Hunzakut:

I'm not satisfied with her - mostly because I really ruined her face. But, oh well - she should look fine on the tabletop...

(BTW. Do you guys see the photos in this post? I'm not sure if they are coming through...)

eBadger

TheLaughingOne

Tried c&p ing the links, but looks like site doesnt allow hotlinks.

Might wanna start up imgur account for pic sharing,
My Ons and Offs!

You! On our wavelength! Carry our message, its heavy! Made of rocks!! Apocolypso dancing! SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY! You'll want to cut your wrists with the whole knife, but you'll only need the edge!

Beorning

Okay, I put the images on Imgur (I hope it's free?).

So... here's the Hunzakut. As I said, not that good effort...

Dhi

I've just finished something I'm not satisfied with either, so I know the feeling. It's better than bare metal, right?

eBadger

I hate the feeling of things not turning out as good as I imagined them.  Hard to tell from the lighting and pic quality, but looks like maybe thin your paints a bit more and use some washes?