Under Siege (Captured City Fantasy Freeform, LGBTQ and Hetero Friendly)

Started by Deamonbane, January 11, 2015, 10:15:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ontan

I'll give it one last check before officially submitting it, but here's the (largely) complete character sheet. I've invented a few details for one of the cities (Ard Carriagh) based mostly on its proximity to ruins. If that's a problem, let me know!

Caeso Antius Ursus

Ontan

Character Name: Caeso Antius Ursus
Alliance: Barbarian Supporter
Title: Liberated Slave
Face Claim: Nil (see artwork)
Other Images:
Scholarly Garb
Ritual Garb
Discovery of the Arachnid Shrine

::General::

--Appearance--
Race: Human
Height: 186cm (6’1”)
Weight: 82kg (181 lbs)
Hair Color: Soot black
Eye Color: Chestnut brown
Sexual Preference: Straight
Distinguishing Marks: Tattoos on the top of each hand, marking him as a convicted criminal.

Equipped Items

Enchanted rings that summoned dogs, a miniature ship that grew into a full-sized vessel when placed in water, ‘pleasure enhancing’ devices for adult recreation, a strange fish encased in ice that whispered at night… Caeso claims to have once held all manner of outlandish treasures. Some of these assertions are pure fabrication, while others did indeed grace his possession at one time, though in the long run it matters little either way. The sum total of his worldly wealth was confiscated when he was indicted for treason.

Caeso has since looted a few items from the Arena storehouses and armouries, providing serviceable if mundane equipment:
- A set of worn, comfortable leathers that provide excellent protection against scrapes and gashes: perfect for adventuring, but meagre protection in an armed conflict.
- A light wicker shield.
- A hooked spear that serves as both a polearm and magical focus. Sturdy but otherwise unremarkable, Caeso has nevertheless taken to the weapon, and has started engraving the shaft with decorative runes.
- Two knives, more for use as tools rather than weapons.
- A small wooden totem that serves as a secondary focus.
- Various sundries: water skin, coin pouches, flint, and cord.

::Character::

Personality: Energetic, sarcastic, and humorous, Caeso is not what most people expect from a scholar… or a slave, for that matter. Bitterness and anxiety have done nothing to stymy his restless vitality, merely redirect it into constant activity, and Caeso is always looking to strike a deal or steal a march on his rivals. There’s also a more sociable side to Caeso, and he’s ever ready to share a story over food and drink. Sometimes it’s the history of a fabled relic, other times a tale from his adventuring career… and other times still, it’s a complete lie. Caeso insists that he has a strict code of conduct – one truthful story for every exaggerated one – but it’s seemingly impossible to tell which is which.

If Caeso were to describe himself in a single word, though, it’d be survivor. Worldliness often comes with pragmatism, and his past has taught him that cruelty and ruthlessness are needed to survive life’s more sinister twists and turns. Coupled with his status as a convicted traitor, it goes a long way towards explaining his difficulty in re-establishing networks or alliances. There’s always a dark edge and predatory gleam to his mannerisms, as if he shares his stories and meals with one hand, while the other cradles a dagger behind his back. Regardless of whether these impressions are merited, most people prefer to keep him as a fair-weather friend, easily acquainted and just as easily cast off. 

Biggest Fear: A Royalist restoration, which would see him returned to slavery or incarceration. 

Talents/Flaws:
- Arachnid Cult: Although the cult’s membership is down to one person, ready access to monstrous spiders is still a handy resource to have. Contrary to popular belief, it takes years of careful study (not animal magic) to control the giant arachnids, though this isn’t quite the boon it seems: with nobody to help command them, Caeso can only manage one or two of the primordial creatures at a time.
- Scholar: The obligatory ‘loremaster’ of every adventuring cohort he’s ever joined, Caeso knows how to put his learned background to good use. Natural history and archaeology are his specialties. 
- Escapist: Whether it’s fleeing a losing battle or escaping a cave in, Caeso has an uncanny knack for slipping away just in time. He can’t work miracles, but Caeso always knows when it’s time to cut and run, and is usually agile enough to pull it off.
- Militiaman: The adventuring lifestyle taught Caeso to be passably competent with polearms, staves, and light shields. He’d be a poor match for any veteran, though.
- Outcast: A fugitive to the resistance and a foreigner to the barbarians, Caeso is a pariah in all but name. At best, he’s considered an ally of convenience; more often, he can only rely on himself.
- Agoraphobic: War-torn cities are never the safest place to begin with, but Caeso’s aversion to urban exposure goes into the realms of irrationality. Large public spaces – plazas, temples, courtyards, marketplaces – fray Caeso’s nerves to breaking point. This isn’t a problem on the open road, but in a metropolis like Cydilla it’s a constant source of anxiety.

Mage: Yes
Used spells:
Fireball: A perennial classic, the fireball spell conjures up a sphere of flame that detonates with explosive force when thrown. Many mages (especially non-humans) consider it artless and crude, but there’s no denying its efficacy.
Distant Potential: It’s a fever dream that causes him to wake drenched in sweat, an ache he can never quite pinpoint, a muse that torments rather than inspire. Caeso certainly has the potential to develop his magic further, but it won't unlock on its own: it would require time, resources, and a great deal of meditation.

History:
Mage, scholar, treasure hunter, cultist, slave… Caeso has an extraordinary tale to tell. It even happens to be true, for once.

It begins in Ard Carraigh, City of Spires. It is a place where a vast gulf exists between the wealthy elite and the struggling poor, yet also a place where each must forge their own fortune. When a child comes of age, they are given the mandated allowance and thrown into the slums to fend for themselves. It is forbidden for the elite to aid the lower caste, even where it concerns their own children; one must claw their way up from the muck before they can claim their birthright. Such was the case with Caeso, who is yet to be reunited with the rest of his family in the upper echelons of Ard Carraigh society.

Like many ambitious youths, Caeso hoped to win his fortune by exploring the plentiful ruins in Ard Carraigh’s neighbouring wastes. In this endeavour, he had a considerable head start: despite the city’s culture of brutal meritocracy, exceptions are made for the rare souls who display magical potential. Granted one of the city’s precious few scholarships, he had the benefit of an extensive education, and by the time he left the academy Caseo had an excellent grasp of archaeology and natural history – both priceless resources for any adventuring party. Coupled with his innate skills as a mage, it wasn’t long before his adventuring career started to take off.

The wasteland ruins are a perilous place, though, and the death toll was (and still is) horrifying by most nation’s standards; often equipped with just a knife and rope, ambitious slum-dwellers have only their courage to defend themselves against all manner of ancient traps, monsters, and desperate rivals. Caeso was the sole survivor of several disastrous expeditions, thanks chiefly to his quick wits and agile escapes, while his learned background made sure he knew the value of any loot he claimed. Little by little, he invested in better equipment and started making a name for himself, working his way up the food chain until he stood alongside professional treasure hunters. Ascension to the elite caste seemed tantalising close.  The tragedy is that Caeso would have almost certainly made it, had he not stumbled upon his ‘big find’.

Every adventurer dreams of finding a clutch of dragon eggs – the power of kingdoms, just like that! – but Caeso and his companions found the next best thing: a dormant nest of ancient, monstrous spiders. Far beneath the ground, hidden in a city of strange statues and grotesque effigies, they found the arachnid eggs seemingly frozen in time, waiting for new caretakers to awaken them. More than just a prize to be sold, the eggs presented a pathway to power, a means of spawning their own private army. Drawn in by the charismatic leader of the group, Caeso and his companions hatched a mad plan to elevate themselves as conquerors. Ard Carraigh would be spared, of course… but the sprawling city of Cydilla would be their first target, a fitting capital for a new empire.

The rest, as they say, is history. The adventuring party formed the Cult of a Thousand Eyes, a conspiratorial society that hoped to conquer the metropolis of Cydilla by secretly breeding an army of monstrous spiders in the sewer system. In their defence, the bizarre plan came reasonably close to fruition, and over the years they slowly learned control the creatures, while also cultivating enormous nests in the unseen depths of the city. Unfortunately(?), the later stages proved too risky and the deception was discovered all too early. A short but ferocious battle ensued in the dark passages beneath the city, and a band of Cydillan champions ultimately destroyed the Cult, crushing the very heart of their operations. All but one nest was put to the torch; all but one cultist put to the sword.

Caeso’s story could’ve easily ended there, but Cydilla is a place where commerce ever prevails over justice. Rather than squander two valuable resources – a human mage and a clutch of rare monsters – it was decided that both should be put to work in the city’s grand arena. As the last surviving person with the requisite training to control the arachnids, Caeso was pressed into slavery rather than executed, though it’s open to debate whether this fate was kinder or crueller than the alternative. For two years his monstrous arachnids have delighted and repulsed arena spectators, always under the watchful eyes of suspicious guards, but the recent conquest of the city has finally put an end to Caeso’s captivity. Granted a reprieve he never dared hoped for, he now strives to ensure the old regime remains deposed – an act of self-preservation more than vengeance.

O/O's: Linked in my profile!
Et Ceteras: PM friendly.

So... thoughts, comments? Consider this your last opportunity to complain about something before I submit it for approval  ;)

EDIT: Thirteen pages!

Kendra

Quote from: Euron Greyjoy on January 16, 2015, 04:09:35 PM

You just may. I'm undecided if Valtýr will avoid drinking in fear of losing control or be in his cups as a coping mechanism.

well a tavern or her smithy, I'm sure they'll meet at some point *grins*

Quote from: la dame en noir on January 16, 2015, 09:26:43 PM
My fingers are aching for thissss

for some reason...this doesn't want to work in my signature.

tried to save it to the wiki for you but it won't upload.
Maybe Ojima can load it up for you and get our GM's to repost the E wiki version ??

Quote from: ReaperDouble0 on January 16, 2015, 04:12:43 PM
Church / religion information
Thank you, you flatter me <3
My character's title as blademaster is separate from the church, and it was under the Cydillan yearly election (See Cydilla) that she attained the rank. Within the church, her title of Battle Maiden is what establishes her rank within the church, with the title of blademaster having nothing to say for it, it only establishes rank in Cydilla, as well as influence. It has not been discussed if there's a necessary connection between the church and the blademasters, but it could be brought up to the GMs if it should be seen as a necessity for your character.

The religion focuses on the human (etc.) superiority, and puts them as the most worthy one. The High Bishop is said to be elected by Lady Vysarene (The establisher), but it doesn't go further than that. It's not incomparable with Atheism. What is considered to be the holy texts would be the old lore that has been passed down from the point of which the church was established, but there are no obligations to read or have read them. They are normally read from each Thursday, with priests/Priestesses (More commonly the latter) available for extra readings outside of the normal schedules. There are two days of celebrations throughout the year, the 19th of March which was the date Lady Vysarene passed away, and the 23rd of August, which marked the date the initial cult was formed.

As far as the hierarchy goes, note that everything here might be subject to change.

High Bishop
Cardinal
Archbishops
Battle Maidens
High priestess/high priests
Bishops
Priestess/priestess.
Guardsmen/women

The High Bishop and the Cardinals rarely leave the Cathedral that the church has its main headquarters however. Archbishops are normally positioned in central cities. Battle Maidens are scattered around in different provinces and normally act as protectors of the church operators, with more than one normally being present in every church. They are however not locked to one specific location, but it is a necessity to have at least one present in every established church, two in cities without an established guard. A High Priestess would normally be located in every city with a church big enough to consider it necessary, it goes by the size of the church and the populace of the city. Bishops are normally scattered around in the bigger cities and act as a connection to the archbishops. Priests/priestesses operate the churches as per usual. In churches with high priestesses/priests, they act as vergers.
Normally women are considered more qualified for the various roles, but not to the point of which the other gender is hard to find. The High Bishop is always to be female however. Battle Maidens are also only female, going by the belief that the only one who would be able to pick up on Lady Vysarene's desires would be another woman. It's normally a title attained after proving one's capability in the normal guard, most don't reach the title before an age of around 35/40, and have to pass an exam involving beating an already elected Battle Maiden. the challenger would only get one chance to do so. The exam used to consist of killing a set amount of orcs or performing an established raid singlehandedly, but it was changed when the church became more passive. Guardsmen/women are normally considered the lowest in most cases and only work as crowd-control and are present as the first layer of defense towards the priests/priestesses.

I hope this answers your question! If you wish to establish some specific rank, do tell me and I'll add it in :)

... This turned out far longer than I planned it to... Sorry for that...

This is truly amazing stuff.
Thank you for going to so much trouble for me.
I seriously appreciate it.

I am considering a member of a noble family who are avid worshipers of the Zetsian church.

@Viper, perhaps their/ her  father could have been one of the Queens advisers but was killed during the seige?
would this be alright?

@Ontan,  love it though it's not for me to decide on approval or not ;)
adore the Arena ... *makes note to do puppy dog eyes on the GM's so Cydilla can have the arena after the seige and on approval* :P
;)

afternoon all  :-)

Lynnette

Quote from: Kendra on January 17, 2015, 09:50:01 AM
This is truly amazing stuff.
Thank you for going to so much trouble for me.
I seriously appreciate it.

I am considering a member of a noble family who are avid worshipers of the Zetsian church.

By all means, I needed to add more details to it all either way :) I'll ask for Viper to edit it into my sheet as well so it's available for later in an easier way :3 Do ask if there's anything more you'd like to know, I'll gladly answer :3
I'm available on Discord!
Feel free to message me if you want to chat
Lynnpai#4726

My O/O     My guide to set up a home server and Plex
My request thread

Kendra

Quote from: ReaperDouble0 on January 17, 2015, 09:55:26 AM
By all means, I needed to add more details to it all either way :) I'll ask for Viper to edit it into my sheet as well so it's available for later in an easier way :3 Do ask if there's anything more you'd like to know, I'll gladly answer :3

this says it better than I could

Lynnette

Lynnpai#4726

My request thread

Kendra

Lynnette

Lynnpai#4726

My request thread

Kendra

Deamonbane

Awwww.... I want awesomeness affirmations...

Working towards opening the OOC thread today! Also working on the city map...
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

Lynnette

Quote from: Deamonbane on January 17, 2015, 11:16:52 AM

Lynnpai#4726

My request thread

Viper

One more post to write and then I will have the beast roster up along with descriptions and limitations. Also, when the ooc opens, please wait for me to post a holding spot after deamonbane and then y'all can have at it!

Deamonbane

Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

Nowherewoman

Instead of obsessing on the person you want to be, focus on who you DON'T want to be. It's much easier to not do certain things than to break your head on some ideal of yourself.

When the dust settles, you may find out you've become who you were supposed to be all along.

more me here now!  (O/Os, ideas and junk): https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=215830.0

and mea culpas  (A/As): https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=221151.0

Lynnette

Lynnpai#4726

My request thread

Sharon

God Kat is taking soooo long to get out of my head fully. I mean she floating there than goes proofed.

la dame en noir

Games(Group & 1x1): 7 | Post Rate: 1 - 6 days | Availability: Actively looking!
A&A | FxF |
O/Os | FxF Writers Directory

Deamonbane

Quote from: Sharon on January 17, 2015, 01:02:14 PM
God Kat is taking soooo long to get out of my head fully. I mean she floating there than goes proofed.
Ummmmm

Quote from: la dame en noir on January 17, 2015, 02:08:43 PM
Is it too late to leave this roleplay?  :-[
Yes, you are already in too deep...

Kidding, but my I inquire why you want to leave?

Euron Greyjoy

Quote from: la dame en noir on January 17, 2015, 02:08:43 PM
Is it too late to leave this roleplay?  :-[
It's up to you dear. If you're no longer interested there's nothing we can do to stop you. It's only a role play there's really nothing to get worked up about.
"The Devil is in the details, and that's where you'll find me."

"The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

"There is no such thing as status quo when it comes to relationships. You either come closer together or drift further apart."

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=209937.0

Deamonbane

Thanks to Miss Sharon, the new and updated signature pic-links are up on the third post of this thread!

la dame en noir

Quote from: Euron Greyjoy on January 17, 2015, 02:17:50 PM
It's up to you dear. If you're no longer interested there's nothing we can do to stop you. It's only a role play there's really nothing to get worked up about.
lol i'm not worked up. just a little nervous.
A&A | FxF |

BeckyAnnn

Quote from: la dame en noir on January 17, 2015, 03:12:19 PM

Don't be nervous.  You have created an awesome character.   8-)

Kendra

Quote from: la dame en noir on January 17, 2015, 03:12:19 PM

I agree with BeckyAnnn you have created an awesome character
but it's ok to be nervous.
I always get nervous, it's meeting new people, writing with entirely new people, not sure if you get on with them or if all of our writing styles suit or not but keep dipping your baby toe in here a while longer, you might find that you're not as nervous as you once were and then after another while, you might discover that you're not nervous at all and then you can ease the rest of us wretches out of our nerves :P

Quote from: Deamonbane on January 17, 2015, 11:16:52 AM

:P

la dame en noir

Lol thanks you two. I won't be pulling out *hehe* but I'm just anxious.
A&A | FxF |

Kendra

we'll make an anxious bench then lol
push over already and make some room woman :P

;D
and YAY!!! glad you're staying ;)

Lynnette

Lynnpai#4726