Battle of the Books

Started by Valerian, July 20, 2011, 06:26:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valerian

Ever wonder what goes on in the library when no one's around to see it?  Here's your chance to find out!  (Maybe we can even figure out why that girl in the picture below has an umbrella open inside.  Is it raining books?)

The Characters:

That Girl Analise
FoamWeber
Remiel
Marguerite
Ryven
Moirae
Leorobin
Kyrsa
Imogen
Kendra
Aiden
Falanor
Josietta
Beguile's

The Rules:

Votes may be changed at any time before the voting is declared closed and the final tally is posted.  (Try not to make anyone dizzy, though.)

The first vote will be for the Librarian.  In case of a tie in the lynch vote, this person will have the tie-breaking vote.  Should the Librarian perish in the line of duty (it's a dangerous job, but someone has to do it), then another Librarian will be elected.

Do not vote to lynch yourself.

If at any point, the Antagonists outnumber the Protagonists, the Antagonists will be declared the victors.  Ditto for the reverse.

If one of the Star-Crossed Lovers is an Antagonist and the other a Protagonist, the win condition for them changes.  They must try to be the only two people left standing at the end of the game.  When the Wise Matchmaker chooses the Lovers (during the first night phase), the role of each Lover will be revealed to the other.  From that point on, they may trust each other completely, regardless of their prior alliances.  The Matchmaker may choose to make themselves one of the Lovers.

The Roles:

Protagonists (7): Where would any story be without one?  Through the power of your votes during the day phase and the use of your wits, your goal is to try to ferret out and destroy the Antagonists who will try to thwart you.

Antagonists (3): Likewise, if everything always went the Protagonist's way, stories would be pretty dull.  Each night phase, you may choose another player to attack.  If that person is protected by the Brave Soldier, nothing happens and the attack is wasted.  Otherwise, that person is killed.  If one of the Star-Crossed Lovers dies in this way, the other Lover dies of grief.

Brave Soldier (1): Each night phase, you may choose one player to protect by sending the name of that player to the Author (Val).  If that player is the target of the Antagonists that night, their attack is stopped and no one will be eliminated that night.  Go, you!

Mysterious Killer (1): Sometimes it's the character you don't really notice at first that's the most dangerous.  Once during the course of the game, during a night phase, this player may choose one person to target for elimination, by some mysterious means.  If that person is protected by the Brave Soldier, then the attack will fail and the ability cannot be used again.

Forthright Detective (1): There are always clues out there, if you know where to find them.  Each night phase, this player may choose one person to investigate by sending that person's name to the Author (Val).  Knowledge is power.

Wise Matchmaker (1): During the night phase after the first lynch vote, the Matchmaker will choose two players to make into the Star-Crossed Lovers.  The Matchmaker may choose to be one of the Lovers.  This ability may only be used once.  Matchmaker, matchmaker, make me a match.

Star-Crossed Lovers (2):  Just like Romeo and Juliet, only hopefully with a better ending.  Once the Lovers are matched by the Wise Matchmaker, they may trust each other completely.  If one Lover is eliminated, either by the Antagonists or by lynching, the other Lover will also die.  If one Lover is an Antagonist, and the other an Innocent, their win condition changes.  Their goal is then to be the only two players left standing at the end.  Otherwise, the usual win condition still applies.

Librarian (1): Special.  The holder of this elected position has the power to break any ties that might occur in the lynch voting.  Knowledge of the Dewey Decimal System preferred.
"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Valerian

It was a dark and stormy night.  One bright cold day in April, as the clocks were striking thirteen, something strange happened in the library.  No one quite knew how it had happened, but suddenly characters had escaped from their pages and were running loose, exploring every nook and cranny of the vast old library.

Then, one day, Hamlet was found mysteriously dead, killed by a poisoned blade just as in his play, and the characters knew that something was rotten in the state of Denmark...

Welcome!  This first vote will be for the tiebreaking role of Librarian.  As always, if you have any questions, ask in the OOC thread or via PM.

All players should now have a PM containing their role and the character they have chosen.  If not, please contact me as soon as possible.

Feel free to chat as much as you like.  If you wish to reveal your character you may do so, but consider playing out your character and seeing if the other players can guess who you are.  And remember, the chosen character does not relate to any of the game roles listed above, which are assigned randomly by me.

Enjoy!
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

That Girl Analise

Analise walks in, her long hair tied half up, wearing her radish earrings and has a seat. She was the first to arrive, it seemed, and she wondered what was holding the others up. Today was the day they chose a new librarian.

Ryven

He walked in, his body covered by a long trench coat.  His face looked that of a man a few years older though he was not an elder by any means.  Ryven picked a spot at a particularly cozy looking nook nearby where he could rest his body and mind as he began to look out for others who might have found their way out of their own world such as himself.

Marguerite

Marguerite walked in paint covering her ass and the dress, though the dress would be rid of once her sculpture was complete. "Where is everyone?," she asked, Analise, her eyes humming a tune beneath her breath all the way throwing her hood over her head. Her art studio was chilly but it boasted her privacy from anyone trying to steal her pictures or interrupt her when she got into the mode.
*R.R*A.A*O.O*Wiki*Bordello*Whip and Apple*
You Keep On Crying, Baby, I'll Bleed You Dry
Mar Is Currently: Taking On Threads
Check My Absence Thread For Updates, Thank You

Remiel

Remiel sprawled in the Adventure section, snoring.  Once or twice he rolled over, smacking his lips and murmuring incoherently.  After some time, he awoke with a great snort, and yawned, yellow teeth gaping wide.  A hand shot out, feeling along the floor; beringéd fingers scuttled across the carpet like a plump pink spider.  When they closed around a book instead of a bottle, Remiel's eyes shot open.  He stared straight upward; his pupils then danced left, then right.

He sat up quickly, his gaze still darting around himself, flitting here and there.  "It would appear I'm in a library," he muttered to himself.  "Interesting.  Quite interesting indeed."

Falanor

Falanor stumbled out of the stacks, brushing the trail dust from his duster, absently flicking a rose petal from his collar and looked around at the room from under the brim of his hat.  “Well, this is interesting…” he said in a rough tone.  The spurs on his boots jingled as he stepped, taking in his surroundings.  Now where am I? he thought.  Ducking his head down under the sign that read ‘Suspense’ he heard the murmurs of others.

Josietta

Shifting up and down the aisles, the chiffon skirts of a white gown swished back and forth with her movements. Upon reaching an opening to view the area, she stopped and stood upright in the front of the "Fiction" section. She watched as the others woke and stirred or settled into their places in the library. She had been here before or rather herself in another life. As there were so many ways of portrayal one could hardly figure out just where they were going, how they got there, or when they would move again.

Her right hand smoothed the back a pale golden lock from her creamy snow white skin and remained half upright at shoulder height. It rested there giving her some extra support as she leaned into the shelf relaxing slightly. A hint of pink highlighted her cheeks and soft pale blue eyes peered out at those around her. This was interesting. Enough to make one almost curious to see who was next to show themselves.

❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤍💖                    ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤍💖
                                 O.Os   / A.As / Ideas 
                           Warning:  Finicky Muse Ahead!

Kendra

Kendra carefully adjusted the books upon the shelves, not particularly liking how they were organised. It seemed like such deplorable sloppy work and felt that it was a good job that there was a vote for a new librarian. It was quite clear to her keen mind that 'order and method' were required in this particular place. With hands behind his back he moved with a casual purpose through the rows of shelves to where the voting would commence.

[edit reason: incorrect gender]

Beguile's Mistress

Stepping delicately between the scattered books that littered the floor Beguile came around the end of a stack of shelves and stood quietly for a moment staring at the motley assortment of characters before her.  Long and slender fingers, the nails buffed to a high sheen, brushed absently at dust that clung to the long, sheer sleeve of her white silk organza afternoon gown.  A wide-brimmed hat constructed of the finest straw, painted white and decorated with a sky blue silk ribbon to match the sash of her dress was held between the thumb and fingers of her other hand. 

"Is there any one about who could furnish us with a pot of tea?" she asked with a long-suffering sigh.  "I'm quite parched after my walk up from the beach house.  And what is this nonsense about electing a Librarian?  Why don't you place an advertisement in the news and hire one?"  One elegantly arched brow beneath her upswept blond waves was raised to emphasize her question and provided excellent punctuation for her aristocratic features.

Imogen

One of the attractions of hitching a ride from a complete stranger was that you could never be sure where you'd end up. Imogen didn't mind. It was part of the attraction of travelling without a plan. As long as there was a cafe at the end of the rainbow, Imogen could ignore the driver's chatter and watch the scenery roll by. Only this time, he couldn't remember the driver, which was far from usual. He also didn't remember entering the library, which was even more unusual. There was a tall cup of coffee on the table before him, which on the other hand, was quite common. He stretched his legs and leaned back, raising the cup to his lips.
[tr][td]
[/td]
[td][/td]
[td]Woo's and Won'ts / Absences
Stor-E Writers Registry[/td]
[td][/td]
[td][/td]
[/tr][/table]

Aiden

Aiden came around a corner fixing his shirt with one hand as the opposite arm held a brown coat folded over on his forearm. His fingers made sure the collar on his starch shirt was perfect before running his fingers down the suspenders that kept up his black slacks up that ended in a pair of shined black leather shoes.
"Am I the only one who missed the palpable irony back there?."
He said as his threaded his arms into his coat before working the buttons up.
"How about you "Bemi" Beguile's Mistress."
The man voted for as he turned around and looked for something he had misplaced.

FoamWeber

Miss Weber shuffled slowly into the library. "I hear we're electing a librarian?" the elderly woman quietly asked the woman standing next to her, as she squinted around the room. She loved books; her vision wasn't as great as it used to be, though, so she couldn't read as much as she would have liked. There seemed to be a growing number of people in the room; was it really that much of an event to get a new librarian in the library? Wasn't the murder more of a priority?

Valerian

Vote ~ Librarian

Kendra (2) - Josietta, Imogen
Beguile's Mistress (1) - Aiden
Leorobin (1) - Remiel
Marguerite (1) - Ryven
Aiden (0)
Falanor (0)
FoamWeber (0)
Imogen (0)
Josietta (0)
Kyrsa (0)
Moirae (0)
Remiel (0)
Ryven (0)
That Girl Analise (0)

Yet to vote: Beguile's Mistress, Falanor, FoamWeber, Kendra, Kyrsa, Leorobin, Marguerite, Moirae, That Girl Analise

There are 7 Protagonists, 3 Antagonists, 1 Brave Soldier, 1 Mysterious Killer, 1 Forthright Detective, and 1 Wise Matchmaker.
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Josietta

Josietta rose a brow at Aiden's choice and gave a simple shake of her head. She didn't speak up or try to talk over any noise there might be, no matter how little since it was a library. Her tone was actually pleasant but soft.

"I believe Kendra would rather get their hands dirty and seems to already be doing the job."

❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤍💖                    ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤍💖
                                 O.Os   / A.As / Ideas 
                           Warning:  Finicky Muse Ahead!

Zelric Miras

Leorobin walked up to the gathering, he dusted his shirt with a hand while adjusting his rifle on his back. He would rather be enjoting the solitude he cherished, yet Hamlet's death was in his mind. He had a slight limp from a wound, but he managed to move about with making it too aparent or making himself uncomfortable. He stood a few steps away of the rest and glanced with a cautios eye. "Some tea would be nice indeed." He spoke with a light accent on his words. "A librarian? Perhaps I will cast my vote when I see whom are up for the role."

That Girl Analise

"A library is a curious thing to run," Analise said, looking at those gathered. "I'm not sure who yet to vote for, though. I can't say I know any of you yet."

Remiel

"Not I," muttered Remiel, who was by now leaning against the Reference section and making a show of inspecting his nails.  "To be the librarian of this lot, a man--or woman--would have to be brave indeed, and I am nothing if not craven."  He flashed a yellow grin, then shrugged.  "Nivver saw wot's wrong with being a coward, though.  Perfectly legitimate character flaw.  Plenty of men would be cowards, if only they were but brave enough."

"Anyway, Leorobin seems like a perfectly decent bloke," he went on.  "But I shall endeavour not to hold it against him."

Imogen

Imogen sat back, leaning his back against the wall. Occasionally he brought the styrofoam cup to his lips and sipped his coffee. He didn't seem to pay much attention to those around him, but when Josietta mentioned Kendra he looked over at the one rearranging the books. He said nothing but downed his coffee and got to his feet. Standing six and a half ft tall, he towered over most of the others as he crossed towards the aisle where Kendra had been working. Shoving his hands into the pockets of an ugly dark blue but warm looking jacket he looked at the now clean-looking shelves and nodded.
[tr][td]
[/td]
[td][/td]
[td]Woo's and Won'ts / Absences
Stor-E Writers Registry[/td]
[td][/td]
[td][/td]
[/tr][/table]

Ryven

Leaning up against one of the shelves in the science fiction section, Ryven hid both hands in the deep pockets of his coat.  His eyes looked from one of his fellow comrades to the other.  It would be so easy to just use his private eye to find out who would be the best for the role of Librarian, but as he didn't want to attract any unwanted attention to himself as was always the case in such matters, he decided to go with his gut feeling instead.

"Marguerite..." he stated confidently.

Kendra

Kendra smiled graciously for the recommendations and puffed up like a peacock, taking it as a natural order of things that he should have been voted by some of these people. His short yet dextrous fingers curled his perfectly trimmed moustache as he removed his hat and coat. There had been a murder here and that to him was infinitely more important than the organisation of books.

"I do thank you my dear, a well ordered mind tends to lead to a well ordered life. A place for everything and everything in it's place" he smiled at the Josietta kindly as a very tall man approached the shelves he had straightened only moments before. He watched the man's actions without seeming to do so as he continued to speak.

"We will need to find a suitable librarian indeed so that we can all get back inside our books but I would hate for my keen intellect to be put to such monotonous use" he had no shame in how he spoke of himself, others might have termed him pompous and egotistical. He simply knew he was a clever man.

Valerian

Vote ~ Librarian

Beguile's Mistress (2) - Aiden, Falanor
Josietta (2) -  Kendra, Kyrsa
Kendra (2) - Josietta, Imogen
Leorobin (1) - Remiel
Marguerite (1) - Ryven
Remiel (1) - Leorobin
Aiden (0)
Falanor (0)
FoamWeber (0)
Imogen (0)
Kyrsa (0)
Moirae (0)
Ryven (0)
That Girl Analise (0)

Yet to vote: Beguile's Mistress, FoamWeber, Marguerite, Moirae, That Girl Analise

There are 7 Protagonists, 3 Antagonists, 1 Brave Soldier, 1 Mysterious Killer, 1 Forthright Detective, and 1 Wise Matchmaker.
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Kye

Kyrsa woke in a pile of books, curled up in a corner where no one could see her.  She could hear voices however and soon enough she made her way out of the Fantasy section and looked up at everyone with curiosity written plainly in her eyes.  She didn’t speak at first, but simply settled down on a convenient stack of books and dusted off her breeches as she watched and listened to the debate about who should be Librarian.

“I think that Josietta would be a good Librarian,” she said, her nose wrinkling in amusement at the sound of the woman’s dress rustling as she moved.

Falanor

Falanor, keen of eye, looked over the gathered folk in the room of books carefully.  What purpose are we here for? he pondered as his thumb traced over the sandlewood grips of his guns as he listened to them.  Looking over at the one that reminded him of another.  "I think Beguile would do fine, do ya ken it?"

Zelric Miras

"I believe Remiel has a good eye." Leorobin sat on a couch to free hsi leg from his weight and waited, the votes were a bit tied and he'd rather not take a side that could win yet. He would wait and see which was fit for him, besides, he was the type to stay around at night so he would have his opportunities to study the others. Still he couldn't hide a degree of pleasure at being voted for, yet his modest side led him to say nothing about it.