News:

Main Menu

Anime

Started by Null, December 15, 2013, 10:54:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yukina

Quote from: Sasquatch421 on March 16, 2019, 09:53:15 AM
....you could always give 00 Gundam a try,....

Seconded. It's a lovely blend of political intrigue and super robots. :) (I'm admittedly biased since it was my first Gundam though)

ReijiTabibito

This isn't quite anime - not yet - but did anyone watch the PV for Fire Force?  I did, and I looked up to see if it was based on a manga (sure enough, like 75% of anime these days, it was).  Anyone have an opinion on it?  Or read it?

Yukina

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on March 29, 2019, 07:50:35 PM
This isn't quite anime - not yet - but did anyone watch the PV for Fire Force?  I did, and I looked up to see if it was based on a manga (sure enough, like 75% of anime these days, it was).  Anyone have an opinion on it?  Or read it?

I saw the trailer a few times. Definitely giving it a chance.

Haruki

Sp the Spring '19 anime season starts out with a biggie for me next week.  The reboot of Fruits Basket gets underway with its first episode going online on Friday, April 5th.  I realize series with a shoujo bent aren't the most popular thing around, but this was a pretty popular series, at least in its original source manga form for a lot of folks.  At least now the old anime from 2001 can officially be set aside...still enjoyable, but a story that branches off and ends in a different manner than the source material.

This new reboot is supposedly going to put the whole story to animation, so I admit, I'm hyped.  I'll give my first impressions upon watching the first episode(s).
Always Seeking New Players!!
Want to write with me?  Please see the following below:
=====
My Introduction
O/Os & Lists -- Thread | Profile | Character Profiles | Canon Cravings
Request Threads - Haru's Canon Fodder (Anime, RPGs, etc) | Haru's Wholesome Needs
=====
Eep!! Who's Yanking Me Away by the Ponytail?! (A&As)

Azuresun

Quote from: Life in Color on March 12, 2019, 11:02:27 AM
Mm'kay. Can of worms question incoming.

I decided to subscribe to Crunchy Roll. I haven't watched anime with any regularity since the early 2000s. My favorite animes are Sailor Moon and Gundam Wing. I'm already watching Sword Art Online.

Gimme some things to start back with.

<3

Aside from a lot of titles already mentioned, I highly recommend Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. It's a hard series to sum up, but essentially, it follows the Joestar family across over a century, with each story following a different protagonist, and mixing up the genre and premise. And as the title hints, it's kind of a crazy ride, going from gothic horror to globetrotting pulp action to shonen Twin Peaks. It's very much a  fighting-centric show, but the nature of the powers and battles allow for huge creativity and variety (one of the most tense and nail-biting confrontations takes the form of a poker game!), and the fights are usually about figuring out what the enemy is doing and out-planning them, rather than straightforward contests of power level.

Sessha

Quote from: Haruki on March 30, 2019, 12:04:23 AM
Sp the Spring '19 anime season starts out with a biggie for me next week.  The reboot of Fruits Basket gets underway with its first episode going online on Friday, April 5th.  I realize series with a shoujo bent aren't the most popular thing around, but this was a pretty popular series, at least in its original source manga form for a lot of folks.  At least now the old anime from 2001 can officially be set aside...still enjoyable, but a story that branches off and ends in a different manner than the source material.

This new reboot is supposedly going to put the whole story to animation, so I admit, I'm hyped.  I'll give my first impressions upon watching the first episode(s).

I'm not exactly sure how that is going to turn out. The reboot is coming out nearly twenty years after the original series came out and more than likely a few years after the original material ended. I have a suspicion that this new series will very likely suffer the same problem the latest Full Metal Panic series did in that it's been out of the public eye so long that most people won't even take note. Also as you mentioned before it's a series with a shojou bent to it. So that is already a mark against it.

That said I could well and truly be wrong. It could be a smash hit. I doubt it but I have been wrong before and will doubtless be wrong in the future.

However at the end of the day what matters more than anything is how you feel about the series. If you love it, then do as one of my favorite youtubers likes to say and "Celebrate your fandom."  ;D ;D ;D
Locked, cocked and ready to rock!

Haruki

Quote from: Sessha on April 02, 2019, 12:14:32 PM
I'm not exactly sure how that is going to turn out. The reboot is coming out nearly twenty years after the original series came out and more than likely a few years after the original material ended. I have a suspicion that this new series will very likely suffer the same problem the latest Full Metal Panic series did in that it's been out of the public eye so long that most people won't even take note. Also as you mentioned before it's a series with a shojou bent to it. So that is already a mark against it.

That said I could well and truly be wrong. It could be a smash hit. I doubt it but I have been wrong before and will doubtless be wrong in the future.

However at the end of the day what matters more than anything is how you feel about the series. If you love it, then do as one of my favorite youtubers likes to say and "Celebrate your fandom."  ;D ;D ;D

That is a fear I have.  As I didn't have a nearby theater that showed the first 2 episodes' screening, I had no way to gauge how popular / anticipated people are for the new Furuba series.  Online buzz, at least among dedicated fans like myself, is quite high, but it's the whole 'Can it impress us old fans AND catch the attention of the newbies / casuals' of the anime fanbase?  I do know for newer fans of anime, the show has to be real sleek and flashy, something the 2001 series is not.  But a compelling narrative, world and cast of characters are more crucial IMHO.  Lack either of those or all, and the series will bomb.

I mean, between CCS Clear Card and this, it is nice to see a bit of shoujo making a comeback, but it's been mainly with reboots / continuations, not with new material.  I'm not sure how the manga / light novel scene in shoujo is doing, but I imagine it's pretty quiet right now.

We shall see in a few days.

------

Didn't want to double-post so I figure I'll just add it here.  Watched the premiere episode of Fruits Basket the minute it went online this past Friday afternoon.  Simply beautiful all the way around.  I'm watching this in its English dub version.  I doubt there was a dry eye in that recording booth, and I enjoyed their new take on these familiar-sounding characters.  My expectations going in admittedly were through the roof, and it's only the first episode, but so far I wasn't one bit disappointed.

Can't wait for the next episode at weeks' end.
=====
My Introduction
Request Threads - Haru's Canon Fodder (Anime, RPGs, etc) | Haru's Wholesome Needs
=====

Sasquatch421

Right now I am going old school with Galaxy Railways 999 and rewatching Metropolis. I honestly wish I could find a streaming service that plays all the Gundams. Really want to rewatch Turn A....

Yukina

Quote from: Sasquatch421 on April 12, 2019, 09:33:12 PM
....I honestly wish I could find a streaming service that plays all the Gundams.....

One thousand times this!

Haruki

I'm frankly shocked no streaming places, at least none of the legit kind, have bitten on the Gundam franchise yet.  If I had such access, I would be tempted to poke my head into those.  My only exposure was years ago (2001) with Gundam Wing.  Sad, I know.
=====
My Introduction
=====

Sasquatch421

Quote from: Haruki on April 13, 2019, 10:00:28 AM
I'm frankly shocked no streaming places, at least none of the legit kind, have bitten on the Gundam franchise yet.  If I had such access, I would be tempted to poke my head into those.  My only exposure was years ago (2001) with Gundam Wing.  Sad, I know.

Nah, it takes some of us some time to try some things. It took me forever and some constant badgering from a co-worker, before I even gave One Punch Man a try. I'm so glad I did though...

Honestly Crunchyroll has Mobile Fighter G-Gundam, which starts slow, but if you stick with it the show really picks up at the end. The final big battle even has quite a few Easter eggs in it. Hell, most of the suits came from other series in it... It had the original RX-78-2, the F-91, Guncannon, GP01-fb (0083 Stardust Memory), the GP02 and the GP03, you could even see the Zeta Gundam in the scene. The best part was they even added the Wing Gundam as an egg, even though Mobile Suit Gundam Wing wasn't out yet.

They even added the Daitarn 3 from Invincible Steel Man Daitarn 3 and the Zambot 3 from Invincible Super Man Zambot 3 in the scene.

I did enjoy Mobile Suit Gundam Seed as it was a retelling of the original series, it had some great mobile suit designs as well. Mobile Suit Gundam Seed Destiny started out great, but ended up not that great.

My favorite series is still Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket which tells the story from the eyes of a young boy dreaming of Mobile Suits and space battles. Only 6 episodes long, but it still makes me cry at the end.

Other series you have to look for... I found most on Kiss anime, but I really don't frequent the place much anymore... After War Gundam X, 08th MS Team, and Zeta Gundam. Gundam F-91 is a movie, but still a fun watch. I myself enjoy Mobile Suit Gundam Double Zeta, but some of the gags overstayed...

I also started watching Valvrave the Liberator, not to bad to start... Has given me moments where I feel sad, jump for joy and laugh.

Yukina

Awesome to see another War in the Pocket fan. :)

Drake Valentine

Been watching Nanocore, Doulou Dalu,  and Doupo Cangqiong. More of Chinese CGI, but pretty much still animation. By the way, all these you can only find in Eng subs and will probably never be dubbed over. Unlike Japanese anime, Chinese anime variations from CGI and actual 'anime style' animation hasn't overall been out long nor does it market much over in the West with its studios. It is a shame as there are plenty other good Chinese animes beyond those I listed out there.

Nanocore - Sci-fi world with various factions fighting one another. Few different character focus points as well(I haven't gotten that far in it as it is at three seasons currently with probably a total of 40-50 episodes to it.  I am only early in first season.)  So, overall plot is currently hazy to me beyond desolated world, alien(Zerg/bug looking creatures) roaming the outside word. A resistance faction fighting some form of other humanoid alien rule on humanity? 

Doulou Dalu - Basic reincarnation type anime where the lead awakens in another world that is much different from his former one; and ends up growing up through the series with a weaker power than others but also retains former training/techniques knowledge of his earlier life. (Personally I like this one more out of the three as it shows good character progress and growth and doesn't feel like your typical 'oh  I am OP reincarnated in another world and gonna wreck everything that Japanese animes do a lot.' No, the lead does suffer at times and is powerless at others, even with knowledge and skills of earlier life. The only bad thing about this one out of three is that in some episodes the sound from the subs wasn't.. Hmm, exactly off, more like it had an annoying buzz to it. This was only in a few episodes. Namely the first episode and two or three after it in some instances. Then later it pops up later in series once or twice.  And of course I also already caught up with second season's current airing.)

Doupo Cangqiong - Feudal China like world. Is alright, more of a 'mix-feelings' with it.  There also feels like some gap in narrative between the seasons as they didn't exactly fully cover what happened to certain characters at end of first season and did some time skip/jump as first season ended with cliffhanger.

Out of three, Nanocore has been pretty heavy action pack. Dalu does have a good amount of martial arts fighting in it mixed with story progression. Doupo has been mostly lacking in fighting till later in series, short bouts of it does spring up whereas Season 2 seemed more action heavy.

"When I'm Done With You, You'll Be a:
Raped, Bloody, And Humiliated, Little Alice in Wonderland."

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)
Pale Eclipse - Group Game Project{Paused} 

psychogurl

Quote from: Haruki on April 02, 2019, 12:48:23 PM
That is a fear I have.  As I didn't have a nearby theater that showed the first 2 episodes' screening, I had no way to gauge how popular / anticipated people are for the new Furuba series.  Online buzz, at least among dedicated fans like myself, is quite high, but it's the whole 'Can it impress us old fans AND catch the attention of the newbies / casuals' of the anime fanbase?  I do know for newer fans of anime, the show has to be real sleek and flashy, something the 2001 series is not.  But a compelling narrative, world and cast of characters are more crucial IMHO.  Lack either of those or all, and the series will bomb.

For the last month or so since the series was announced, several of the voice actors have been doing a good job at building hype on twitter. They seemed genuinely excited about the project, making memes and jokes with one another about the series. While I'm not a big fan of the series these days, it was nice to see people excited for it.
I think Persona is a pretty cool guy. eh shoots himself in head and doesnt afraid of anything...

Haruki

Well, so far, this Spring anime season has been a busy one for me.  I'm following these:

Fruits Basket (2019) - I am LOVING this reboot to bits!  With the first couple episodes, I was trying to compare the story and all the characters' nuances up against the 2001 anime, but by the 4th episode, figured 'Screw it, I'm going to enjoy this one for what it is; a re-envisioning overseen by the author of the original source manga.'  It has not let me down yet, but for those who grew up on the 2001 anime, be ready for the comedy to be a bit more dark, and for the emotion to be ramped up ten-fold.  It's supposed to be a story of tragedy and overcoming such with the strength of friends and those who do show love.

The Rising of the Shield Hero - I had my doubts early on as I posted about when I started this show, but we're now 2/3 of the way in, and it's really grown on me.  I can empathize with Naofumi & Raphtalia's situation and want to see them get down to the bottom of things.  Clearly they are pawns in a big, evil and corrupt chess game.

I got bored yesterday, so I went and started The Helpful Fox, Senko-san.  While I did take in the first couple episodes, and there are mostly wholesome moments, a couple of scenes pretty much wrecked the mood for me.  One in particular right off the bat in Episode 1
Possibly a Spoiler, so tap me to read
where our male MC fluff's Senko's big floofy foxtail, and she reacts quite, we'll just say, in a NSFW manner.  And yet again they decide to throw us the beaten trope of "I may look young, but I'm hundreds of years old so it's okay'.

OOOF!  It did give me that squeamish uncomfortable feeling.  Really, did the scriptwriters & production team find that real necessary to give her such a reaction?  Why couldn't it of been just a cute light blush?

It's a crying shame because this seemed otherwise like a halfway decent, nicely animated, and relaxing SoL.  I've heard the manga isn't as 'played up', so it's a shame they took that route.  I may or may not finish this one.  I'm thinking I should stick to the classic moe stuff (like 2006's Kanon) from the mid / late 2000s for my relaxing fluffy fix.

Anywho, I do plan to also try Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba.  It seems good.

EDIT: Re-watched the first couple episodes to Senko-san and decided clarification, and a spoiler tag, were needed.
=====
My Introduction
=====

Sain

Kimetsu No Yaiba is pretty nice so far. Only thing that annoyed me was
ep 5
the setting having yet another 'ranking system' for the adventurers, demon hunters, or whatever. I'm just so done with all these fantasy ranking systems in organisations. It's very rarely imaginative.
Also a few other things, but nothing that isn't commonly seen in anime in general. All in all enjoyable show for the unique aesthetics if nothing else!
PM box is open. So is my discord: Sain#5301

Haruki

Quote from: Sain on May 07, 2019, 06:03:56 AM
ep 5
the setting having yet another 'ranking system' for the adventurers, demon hunters, or whatever. I'm just so done with all these fantasy ranking systems in organisations. It's very rarely imaginative.
Also a few other things, but nothing that isn't commonly seen in anime in general. All in all enjoyable show for the unique aesthetics if nothing else!

Thinking I'll swap out Senko-san for that one then.  I'm dropping the former.  The more I think about those first two episodes of that show, the more I go cross-eyed and cringe.  I've been into anime long enough to know that it's a show that would NOT have been picked up back in the 1990s due to its content / uncomfortable nature for most folks....it seems, including myself.  It's probably something to the tune of. "you guys want this big blockbuster title, you also have to license this other show.".  You'd think in the age of simulcasting, this would be a thing of the past.

To each their own of course.  This also isn't new territory for me, where I pick up a series thinking "Oh, this looks cute / relaxing." and then I'm slapped in the face with the (in my opinion), at times ugly dark side of the anime medium that gives it the bad reputation it has with the general public.  A couple shows I watched last year, like Kakuryo; Bed & Breakfast for Spirits, and Sakura Quest, are more of my thing.  They're relaxing, and feature cute (to me) girls who are more 'of age', and aren't in your face...if at all, with any lewd subtext, which both literally feature none of that.
=====
My Introduction
=====

Capone

Quote from: Haruki on April 13, 2019, 10:00:28 AM

I think a lot of the problem there is Gundam has been around so long, and no doubt its disparate series are stuck in licensing Hell spread across the different companies that had rights and shuttered. War in the Pocket is a perfect example. A Blu-Ray was released in Japan "recently" (two or three years ago? Maybe five?), but there's yet to be one outside of that because whoever had the rights in the States may not exist anymore, or it may be locked in with someone else that's just not interested in pursuing War in the Pocket since it's obscure. I mean, why release a single 6-episode OVA when you can continue to cash out on Gundam Wing and its Toonami nostalgia?

It's also possible that no one service has an exclusivity contract with Sunrise, allowing them to barter rights for each series to the highest bidder. It's kind of funny, because up until Gundam Wing, that entire franchise was kind of like Dragon Quest: huge in Japan, but meh in America. With Toonami introducing a whole generation to anime and Gundam Wing being one of the series that was there early on, it really developed a fan-base that was otherwise never so passionate.

Me, I'm a case-by-case basis with Gundam. I found the first season of Iron Blooded Orphans to be meh, wanting to seem way darker than it had the guts to be (for all its talk of death and sacrifice, only red shirts died when it counted). Maybe this changes later on, but I found it to be meh. On the other hand, I checked out Gundam Unicorn on Netflix and was pleasantly surprised. Still no Macross, but it was pretty good.

Evidently Gundam has, like, two or three timelines, though, so who knows which series are related to one another.

Andol

Quote from: Sain on May 07, 2019, 06:03:56 AM
ep 5

I have adored watching that show every single episode... especially because Tanjiro's sister Nezuko is cute as a button... and straight up Jojo posed in one episode. 

Azuresun

Quote from: Capone on May 24, 2019, 09:48:51 AM
Evidently Gundam has, like, two or three timelines, though, so who knows which series are related to one another.

As I understand it, the timelines with more than one show set in them go like this:

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

With Origin and Thunderbolt being part of the UC timeline, and everything else (IBO, G-Gundam, etc) in its own timeline.

Sain

I'm still enjoying Kimetsu No Yaiba. It keeps on being good :-) Sadly Dororo is starting to lose steam and the episodes begin to feel kinda pointless.
PM box is open. So is my discord: Sain#5301

Andol

Quote from: Sain on May 27, 2019, 03:21:52 PM
I'm still enjoying Kimetsu No Yaiba. It keeps on being good :-) Sadly Dororo is starting to lose steam and the episodes begin to feel kinda pointless.

And Nezuko is still being a cute as a button... :D

okintsukoro

I have only recently found an anime called 'Warau Salesman' (The Laughing Salesman), which is a shame because its original run was in the 80's and its reboot was back in 2017 with only 12 episodes and apparently didn't do well enough for them to make more.

Bothers me that there's not much out there to watch since I'm so late to the game. A lot as the 'NEW' version has really great animation and really plays into the emphasis that the salesman seems a bit inhuman in some ways, but as always, it's never explained what or who he truly is outside of what he himself tells the audience (his name is Fukuzou Moguro, he helps out people young and old by filling the 'hole in their hearts', doesn't ask for monetary compensation).

It is highly serialized, with each episode being its own story about whoever has a run-in with the Salesman that day/night. I'm personally fascinated by the concept of the Salesman, like some sort of cryptid almost.

Anyways, if you get a chance to see it (the original or the NEW reboot, in which the original is super hard to find with English subtitles), please tell me what you think of it!

Blythe

I've binged the first two seasons of Tokyo Ghoul. (Yes, I'm behind & know this show isn't a new one; I'm never up to date with any anime nowadays <_< )

I like it more than I thought I was going to like it--the aspects of personal horror in season 1 really appealed to me. But I can tell the anime is leaving stuff out from the manga that is needed for viewers to understand certain characters (esp. in season 2), though, and I've never read the manga. It's that apparent--mostly because certain characters come off as very disjointed without certain explanations of their history and connections.

Art style is remarkably pretty to me.

Haruki

I don't have too much on my anime playlist for the Summer.  This time of year is generally too busy for me to do more than the bare minimum.  For me, that will mean basically keeping up with Fruits Basket each week.

Evangelion (TV and original 2 movies, Death & Rebirth & End of Evangelion) and Record of Grancrest War also recently went live on Netflix.

The former, which I have started to rewatch, has the anime community, mostly old fart fans like me (but I'm not one who's in the complaining camp) all throwing a fit.  I'm just sitting here, taking it in as-is, since I still own my old ADV discs.  Visually the show looks great...about as good as a show done in 1995, and on an insanely tight schedule and limited budget as GAINAX had at the time.  I'm honestly partial to both dubs and translations.  It's like watching the show over again with someone else's take, both vocally and with a more 'literal' translation.  I guess I'm the odd guy out in this whole mess as I prefer to look at it from a pragmatic angle rather than dig my feet into one or the other side of the line.

The latter, Record of Grancrest War, I'm grateful for.  Now I don't have to sacrifice my non-existent firstborn and put up with Aniplex's ridiculous pricing on their Blurays to at least check it out.  All I know about it is that it has a very loose connection, or some relation, to the classic RPG-styled, high-fantasy OAV series Record of Lodoss War, which I own and have enjoyed in the past.  Beyond that, I know nothing more, so it'll be a blind watch for me.

As for NEW anime this Summer, it's looking only like Fire Force has my passing interest.  I'll give it a try.  It's based off the manga of the same name which the author of Soul Eater had done prior.

Summer 2019 is looking like a quiet one for the anime world overall, so it seems.  Waiting for October...seems the big dogs are dragged out October and April each year.
=====
My Introduction
=====