Pathfinder (DnD) for Newbies and Beginners (looking for 2)

Started by hippyness, May 04, 2013, 08:24:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hippyness

Hello anyone deciding to read this.

There seem to be many Pathfinder games going up on the boards now but this one may be slightly different. I'm looking to start a game, as the title of the thread states, for people who don't have much or any experience with playing Pathfinder. Everyone has to start somewhere and here might as well be it.

Who I am:
I have been playing and DMing table top games for many years. I enjoy teaching the game to new players and helping people become more comfortable with rule sets. I however, play very loose with the rules when it comes to new people, hoping to introduce rules as needed but not to constrain everything a player wants to do with the word "No". I've had some of the best game moments come from allowing players to do what they feel. So plan on this being much more stream lined then the books will tell you and don't be afraid of all the text. I will hand hold you through all of this, this is for fun not beating the rules into you.

Who I'm looking for:
People interested in the Pathfinder (or really any table top but willing to play Pathfinder) who haven't had too much experience with the game. I'm not going to tell someone they are over qualified but if you don't think "beginner player" or "intermediate player" describes you then this game may not be for you. Level of play is a personal label, not something anyone else can tell you.
Being super experienced in role playing is not what I'm talking about, I only mean experience with Pathfinder. We are still looking to role play between player characters and between NPCs. And I hope for more fleshed out character than numbers on a sheet.

What game we'll be playing:
I'm hoping to run an Adventure Path published by Paizo, for ease of work load on me. I would like to discuss with people interested which game they'd like to play.
I am unable to run Shattered Star as I am currently playing in it. I would like to not run King Maker as one day I hope to finish playing it. I will run, but only if the group really wants to, Carrion Crown as I have DMed it before and am currently DMing it. I'd like to avoid the newest path as it is still being published.
Each game discription is here: http://paizo.com/pathfinder/adventurePath
The level of sexual interaction is up to the players. I will be willing to work it in, but I don't feel it needs to be forced into the game. Yes, you CAN buy a wench in every tavern in town but I may stop RPing that with you after the first few times. Yes, raping the bodies of all the slain foes is do able but each one will not have it's own text block. Yes, taking off your pants will make the king mad, he doesn't care how big your penis is or that you took a feat for it.

I currently have three slots taken (no characters made). I'm hoping to find at least two more players but I'd really like to cap the game at 8 or 9 players. I don't want to over whelm myself or others.

So please join me in a game of Pathfinder for Beginners, we could have so much fun.
Totally me in that avatar. ^_-
I need something exactly seven percent stronger than TEA!
Something I have found helpful from other partners. http://rh.greydawn.net/browse.php?c=hippyness

Blythe

Just wanted to pop in and say that I'm one of those three slots. I thought I would wait before making a character to see what others would be interested in having me play.

hippyness

You know, I was only like five minutes past forgetting to PM you about this. ^_^

Thanks for paying attention though.
Something I have found helpful from other partners. http://rh.greydawn.net/browse.php?c=hippyness

Marie Reynolds

I would say I fit in the lower end of the intermediate pool, so I would like to throw my hat in.

Roxy Rocket

Very interested. I guess I ought to look up the modules in case someone wants me to have an opinion/

Serious note? Blythe's avatar is more naked than mine. That's not at all fair.

Blythe

I'm peeking at the list of adventure modules to see which one I like.

And Roxy, your avatar is far classier than mine.

Roxy Rocket

Naked and Classy... must we be forever at war?

It's okay. I forgive you. Just merve them handsalittle.

*chews her flank*

Carrion Crown is haunty and cool... but O-U-T out.

Wrath of the Righteous has Demons, which is cool, but might be intense for starting on.

Serpent's Skull = Jungle and Pirates?

Reign of Winter looks neat. It's warm outside do I feel good about it.*

Curse of the Crimson Throne is urbany. Legacy of Fire is all deserty... I guess they never heard of beach blanket bingo. Oh well.

*You are right to hate me when I LINK THIS!
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Blythe

The three that catch my eye the most are Second Darkness, Council of Thieves, and Reign of Winter. I don't mind too terribly much which adventure is run, though, so long as I get the chance to learn Pathfinder, but those three got my interest the most.

hippyness

Yay for two more people. -claps excitedly-

If a few more people get in, we'll be kicking goblins out windows soon.

Welcome Marie and Roxie.

Yukina

Roxy Rocket

Allo Hippington, looking sexy in pink panties today are we?

I'm iffy on council. Wanna call it as a toss up between Second Darkness and Reign of Winter and see where everyone else is leaning?

Pleinair

I am one of the three mentioned at the start, just popping in to say hello's all around. :3

*waves*

Throwing in my vote for Reign of Winter.

Marie Reynolds

I am Torn between Reign of Winter or Kingmaker. The chance to fight Rasputin though is very tempting.

Mysterica

I must applaud you for starting up a newbie DnD game.  So many other games are so set up for people who know a lot about the game that I must applaud you for starting up such a game.  It's always good for others to have a chance to learn.

hippyness

Quote from: Roxy Rocket on May 04, 2013, 10:56:07 PM
      Allo Hippington, looking sexy in pink panties today are we?

Usually. ^_^

Quote from: Mysterica on May 05, 2013, 12:33:54 AM
I must applaud you for starting up a newbie DnD game.  So many other games are so set up for people who know a lot about the game that I must applaud you for starting up such a game.  It's always good for others to have a chance to learn.

If you ever check back, thank you for the props.

Quote from: artichoke hearts on May 05, 2013, 02:02:27 AM
Am I to understand that the modules start us all at level 1? Personally I'd like it so we can build our characters from scratch and watch them grow.

Yep, you'll all be level ones. Though, with as many of you as there are right now a house cat MIGHT not kill all of you, so that's a good thing. It also makes creating a first character easier and allows building from the ground up.

It's seeming like Reign on Winter is going to win out. I'll need to look over it and see how it is going to run. I'll start gathering info for you guys, or at least links to where important stuff is.

We need either one or two other people to join, or I'll start posting up stuff later Monday and we'll run a few players short.

This is happening much quicker than I expected and I've very excited!

Roxy Rocket

snip

Yukina

Kinks: Transformation, funny situations, danderes, dominant partners, being captured

Role: I prefer being a utility role. I always prefer my characters to be tactical and efficient

Character type: Mary is the shy, but handy bookworm type. She not commonly wanted due to her shy, skittish nature, but those who accept her will find efficient assistance.

Blythe

Kinks: Depends on my character's gender. If I RP as a female, I will not participate in sexual situations whatsoever (just not comfortable with that). If I RP as a male in this particular game, I prefer bitchy submissive partners, voyeurism/exhibitionism, and some BDSM. I tend to play bisexual male dominant characters, if no one minds that. Players can inform me what gender they'd prefer me to play.

Role: Either Utility or Control. I like wizards and rogues quite a lot.

Character Type: Playful, tricky, and greedy opportunist (whether a wizard or rogue). This is a character that isn't so much persuaded to do good things because it's good, but because it's profitable or exciting. Looking at a CN alignment here, or maybe even NE. Don't worry; I'll still be a team player.  :-)

SeraphBlade07

I may be interested in this. I've played D&D 3.5 before but never using any of the campaigns that have been published always an original campaign and I have limited experiance with pathfinder.  I've also never played D&D in a forum setting so I'm interested in seeing how this would work. (also when I played always started at level 5 so never had the experience of starting as a level 1 character)

If you'd let me join you guys I'd like to play if the party is not already full and you don't think I'm overqualified

hippyness

Quote from: Blythe on May 05, 2013, 02:47:36 PM
Kinks: Depends on my character's gender. If I RP as a female, I will not participate in sexual situations whatsoever (just not comfortable with that). If I RP as a male in this particular game, I prefer bitchy submissive partners, voyeurism/exhibitionism, and some BDSM. I tend to play bisexual male dominant characters, if no one minds that. Players can inform me what gender they'd prefer me to play.

I kind of made the assumption you'd be a male, Blythe. Hope that wasn't wrong of me...

Quote from: SeraphBlade07 on May 05, 2013, 02:48:57 PM
If you'd let me join you guys I'd like to play if the party is not already full and you don't think I'm overqualified

You are very welcome into the bunch Seraph! Like I said, I wouldn't turn people away for being "overqualified".

Wow... one more and we're full. O.O

Lurking

Mind if I grab the last slot going? I've seen loads of pathfinders posted since I joined E but haven't joined any as I've never tried it before. Would be good to have a chance to get into it.
On Hiatus

Blythe

Quote from: hippyness on May 05, 2013, 03:08:48 PM
I kind of made the assumption you'd be a male, Blythe. Hope that wasn't wrong of me...

I sometimes leave what gender I'll play open in a large group, as to let people be more comfortable. But if I can play as a male, I'd enjoy it better. So let's assume a male. But yeah, not wrong of you. I do even have it in my O/Os that I almost never play female characters anyway.

*hugs and adores on Lurking*

Oooh, yes, take Lurking. She's a good writer. <3

SeraphBlade07

awesome ^_^ thanks guys. I'll probably play a male character as in the past when I've played table top games in person I've always had to play females because it's too hard for the other people to remember that my character is a guy.

Lurking

*snuggles Blythe*

I shall probably play a female as I'm playing a male in every other rp I'm in at the moment.
On Hiatus

hippyness

Okay, last slot to Lurking.

Always play what makes you happiest, to both Blythe and Seraph. I tend to crossplay if I ever end up on the player's side of the table.

Yoshi, Artichoke, Seraph and Lurking, do you guys have a preference towards which game we play?

Everyone, you might as well bookmark
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/
It has almost every Pathfinder rule posted there and is searchable.

I'm going to double post the next bit because I'm slightly crazy about lay outs and flow and such.

Blythe

I do have a question: do we have to play humans? Roxy's post had a mentioning of "keep it human."

Roxy Rocket

Quote from: SeraphBlade07 on May 05, 2013, 03:20:17 PM
awesome ^_^ thanks guys. I'll probably play a male character as in the past when I've played table top games in person I've always had to play females because it's too hard for the other people to remember that my character is a guy.

Helps if you name him Bob or Dave or John-Dick von CocknBalls.

Blythe is going man, Seraph Man, Artichoke Man...

Yugi is going female, Marie probably female? Lurking Female.

Dunno on Lurking, Dunno on Plenair.

Huh. I guess I'm not picky but we'll see. I read the druid stuff recently so... huh, probably Druid (any role) or Summoner (I think they default to tank/utility) Could also do fighter-gal or cleric. Oh, there's also inquisitor... which is like, damage/utility? Fleh.

Quote from: Blythe on May 05, 2013, 02:47:36 PM
Looking at a CN alignment here, or maybe even NE. Don't worry; I'll still be a team player.  :-)

I think Alignments have to do with your true nature. Evil aims may have good paths and good intentions can produce atrocities, the lawful spy may join the barbarian horde and the even Robin Hood (Mister Chaotic Good) got himself married.

~Buuut Aayyyyeee Dooooon't Knoooooww What I'm Talkin' Booooout!~

Quote from: Blythe on May 05, 2013, 03:36:50 PM
I do have a question: do we have to play humans? Roxy's post had a mentioning of "keep it human."

I meant, like, human characters like old star trek where everyone behaves just like a human, even if they're slightly different via culture.

Quote from: hippyness on May 05, 2013, 03:34:57 PM
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/

This other one doesn't have as much of the splat material on it but it's way easier on my six year old netbook.

http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/

Yukina

I think I'll make Mary either a Wizard or an Oracle. It will fit her smart, but meek nature.

hippyness

So to begin, hello everyone and welcome to our Pathfinder game. The story hasn't been set in stone but certain things, like character creation, can be done before that is settled. I don't know how knowledge able about the terminology used in Pathfinder (and many other table tops as well though, some change the label but the meanings are the same.) I do know for sure that you guys understand RP terms, such as GM, PC, NPC, HP and you're all probably nerdy enough to understand d20, but to level the field I'll define some terms. Please please please if I missed anything, don't explain something well enough or am just down right wrong, tell me. Also, a lot will be explained as we progress so if right now Fort/Ref/Will doesn't mean anything, we'll get to it.

Dice labeling and meaning:
Every roll of the dice in the game will be in the same lay out. Most commonly will be 1d20. Which means to roll a single 20 sided die. The first number indicates the number of dice to roll, the second will tell you which dice type to roll. It's also typically pronounced that way out loud.

Character Creation:
Each character has six basic Ability Scores (stats). Each Ability Score will represent how well your character is in each area. A high Strength (STR) means you hit harder and lift more, Dexterity (DEX) controls movement and agility, Constitution (CON) is how tough your body is (mostly for HP purposes), Intelligence (INT) is your active understanding of the world and book knowledge, Wisdom (WIS) represents understanding and force of mind, and finally Charisma (CHA) is the presentation of your self both in appearance and the way you handle yourself.
Obviously, the higher the number to better your character is in that area. Each class relies differently on each stat, a rogue needs DEX more than a mage but both should have it to help them not get hit or use ranged weapons better. Primary stats are listed in the Class Description area.

For ease of bookkeeping and keeping the level of players balanced we will be using the Point Buy method of rolling stats (boo and hiss later). We'll start with 25 points to spend and the cost for each is listed here http://www.d20pfsrd.com/basics-ability-scores/ability-scores. Again, higher is better but a lower number offers more RPing opportunities.

All the classes are available for you all to pick from, and each class has break downs for a more specific class called Archetypes or Alternate Class which can be used if you want but you do not have to. Make sure to read for the Ability Scores the class you like will need. I may have to read over anything that isn't part of the core set up and approve it first, just to be sure.

Any race is playable that is not labeled as "3rd party" or the label that links to "More Races". The Core races are the typical Human, Elf, Dwarf fair while the more exotic races are Tengu , Merfolk and Changeling. Play what you want, but read how each race will affect the stats of a character. This doesn't mean ONLY Halflings make good rogues because they have a DEX increase, or that Half Orcs are bad Clerics. Having a minus just means something your character will have to over come. As stated before, this is a game for fun. You're characters will probably win in the end so don't think you HAVE to play a perfect being.

That should give you guys some stuff to think about. We can talk about what the rest of the information means (all that BAB and whatnot) after races and classes are settled.

Blythe

Would anyone object if I played a dhampir (or maybe a drow) rogue? If dhampirs or drow are not allowed, I'll switch to halfling happily. I'm pretty intent on being a rogue, though. *will work on point-buying statistics only after knowing race/class choice is okay*

EDIT: Just noticed dark elves. Added that in as an interest of mine.

Lurking

QuoteOkay, last slot to Lurking.
Wooo! And I don't mind which game we play, I'm happy with whatever.

I shall pour over the links posted and work out my character. I'm thinking most likely a ranger atm. But I shall read through everything and then decide exactly.
On Hiatus

Lurking

All that information is giving me brain ache, and I've only skimmed over the information regarding class & race.

Anyway, I'm going with a female half-elf ranger.
Kinks: Not a particularly sex driven character, I'm still working out what makes her tick. Someone who engages her mind and not just her body is a must. Doesn't really do dom/sub, prefers a more equal ground, although prefers men with a more dominating edge to them rather then submissive.
Role: Damage. Up close and personal with a blade, or two.
Character Type: Independent, strong willed. A good heart deep down, but has a jaded (she calls it realistic) view of the world. CG. Will only do what she is told by someone who has earned her respect.

Is that all the information you need atm or did I miss something?
On Hiatus

hippyness

Blythe, the only warning I'd have for a Dhampir is that they can't be healed like the rest of the group. I can allow Weakness Negative Energy Affinity to be dropped in exchange for the loss of the Undead Resistance. This Dhampir would be slightly more human, their body failing in all the same ways as a mortal's. We can talk more specifics if you want.
Rogue is always fine.

Sound like a good start Lurking, there are some game related questions to answer though.
Do you wish to use Two Swords as a main means of attack? There's also Sword and Shield (sword and board if you will) and Two Handed Sword as options.
How much spell casting would you like to do?

Marie Reynolds

Iam thinking a grappler and Improvised Weapon Specialist.

Roxy Rocket

Quote from: Blythe on May 05, 2013, 04:29:06 PM
Would anyone object if I played a dhampir rogue?

I hate the word dhampir but that's about it. Can we call them Hampires? Mmm. Ham.. pires.

Quote from: Lurking on May 05, 2013, 06:02:57 PM
All that information is giving me brain ache, and I've only skimmed over the information regarding class & race.

Huh? Oh... didn't my blabbing didja? Sorry about that.

Um, hm, I guess if we're getting by on real casters I can do something stupid like Magical Girl Summoner or something.

FallenRanger

Dangit, it's full D: Been looking to start playing something like this for a while V_V
Request Thread

You think lag is your ally? You merely adopted the lag. I was moulded by it. Changed by it. I didn't see latency till I was a man ಠ_ಠ

SeraphBlade07

hm... was kinda of looking at the catfolk or Teifling. they look cool. I always go elf so wanted to try something new if that's cool.

hippyness

Blythe, did you mean a Dusk Elf?

Marie, are you looking to use a Monk class, a Fighter or a Barbarian? Each one of those can do the basic idea of what you said.

Roxie, the Summoner is a good class but you can also say your magic comes from the cards as you cast your spells if you wanted to use another caster type. Just thoughts.

Yugi (I may have called you Yoshi earlier, sorry), the major difference will be spell selection. Wizards will by far have the most selection but Oracles get their boost from their mysteries.

Artichoke, you're Alchemist sounds well thought out. It does sound like we need a healer, but with a Rogue and an Alchemist (I may have seen someone say Druid, I'm going to have to get a some sticky notes to keep all this straight), you could be able to get by with wands and potions.

Seraph, what class would you be looking at, that may help narrow down a race.

Note for everyone, Charisma doesn't dictate who's the leader. It'll be knowing how to move the high Charisma character into place.

Sorry Fallen, but maybe this will start a trend with other DMs.

SeraphBlade07

well I always go Ranger or Druid and once I went Sorcerer (cause I like the animal companions/familiars XD) but I think I may go rogue or ninja... this time around but I don't know...

Blythe

Errr, I thought they were referred to as dark elves? I was looking at Drow when I thought about it.   :-[

Roxy Rocket

Quote from: hippyness on May 05, 2013, 07:18:39 PM

Roxy, the Summoner is a good class but you can also say your magic comes from the cards as you cast your spells if you wanted to use another caster type. Just thoughts.

If that was a reference to something it's lost on me.

Honestly, the druid looks its... sigh, loaded for bear. But being better at everything isn't always the answer. So yes, magical princess that summons another magical princess... but with a sword. Hur-hur-hur Roxy is funny today.

I'll crack open a book, er, website and put something down that's concrete.

Yukina

Mary is almost complete. (She is an oracle) All I have left is equipment selection.

Blythe

*whispers to Seraph* Oooh, be a ninja rogue! My rogue and your ninja rogue can be friendly rivals that way!   :-)

And I'm going with dhampir. I'll keep the normal race traits. If I die, I die. I'm okay with this risk, and I understand it. It'll just encourage me to be a very cautious and intelligent rogue, now won't it?  ;D

EDIT: Why did I type ninja? I meant rogue. *facepalm* Epic fail on my part.

Yukina

FallenRanger

Request Thread

You think lag is your ally? You merely adopted the lag. I was moulded by it. Changed by it. I didn't see latency till I was a man ಠ_ಠ

Roketto

While I don't believe myself to be eligible to be a player for this (been playing, and GMing, Pathfinder for years now), I just wanted to drop in and say that this is a fantastic idea.  I think it's important to have good, solid, introductory games to get folks used to a system and I wanted to thank hippyness for being an awesome person to GM a game like this. 

I wish all the players (and the GM) the best of luck!

SeraphBlade07

Quote from: Blythe on May 05, 2013, 08:47:14 PM
*whispers to Seraph* Oooh, be a ninja rogue! My rogue and your ninja rogue can be friendly rivals that way!   :-)

And I'm going with dhampir. I'll keep the normal race traits. If I die, I die. I'm okay with this risk, and I understand it. It'll just encourage me to be a very cautious and intelligent rogue, now won't it?  ;D

EDIT: Why did I type ninja? I meant rogue. *facepalm* Epic fail on my part.

Totally. well I was considering Rogue or Ninja lol XD

Though Summoner sounds good too...but I think I'll go with Rogue since I always go with something that I can have animals and summon them and what not. besides that's more work for me dealing with all those XD so I'll go simple with Rogue lol

hippyness

Okay Blythe. Like I said, I wouldn't say no, just giving you the warning.

Quote from: Yugishogun on May 05, 2013, 08:49:09 PM
Mary is complete.
http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=565120
Quick things, you misstyped your Con and the sheet read it as a 1. Also, there are stats in Pathfinder not on that sheet called Combat Maneuver Bonus (CMB) and Combat Maneuver Defense (CMD). Those will need noting later.
Also, I wasn't going to bring this up til later but with a sheet done, you get two Traits to add to your character. We'll talk more about those later but you'll get one from the general list and one from the Adventure Path we end up picking.

There will be a format for posting character sheets for everyone to see in text form. But we'll get to that as well.

Yukina

Quote from: hippyness on May 05, 2013, 09:53:49 PM
Okay Blythe. Like I said, I wouldn't say no, just giving you the warning.
Quick things, you misstyped your Con and the sheet read it as a 1.
Also, I wasn't going to bring this up til later but with a sheet done, you get two Traits to add to your character. We'll talk more about those later but you'll get one from the general list and one from the Adventure Path we end up picking.

Thanks I'm on it.

Ebb

Quote from: Roketto on May 05, 2013, 09:36:42 PM
While I don't believe myself to be eligible to be a player for this (been playing, and GMing, Pathfinder for years now), I just wanted to drop in and say that this is a fantastic idea.  I think it's important to have good, solid, introductory games to get folks used to a system and I wanted to thank hippyness for being an awesome person to GM a game like this. 

I wish all the players (and the GM) the best of luck!

+1

I was coming in here to post pretty much what Roketto just wrote here. Good on you, hippyness.

Roxy Rocket

Alright, I need to get off the fence.

Roxy is playing a PrincessSummoningPrincess and that's pretty lame but she gonna work for flavor, not effective character building.

There we go. Mission statement accomplished. Now be very very quiet cause we gunno hunt some @$%&ing rabbits. Let's start with a simple name that doesn't begin with a vowel. Aasimars are out too. Proper stat choices are probably a recipe for YAAAAAWWN.

Dana Hardy
      Human Summoner, Level 1, Neutral Good

Dana has fled her studies of the planes and things and stuff-that'd-be-all-cool-to-know-and-junk to go help out her cousin or aunt twice removed or something. What? Hardy? No that's not her real name. Shut up or you're getting sword-in-the-faced!

She's got a big girl boner for Aroden, progenitor of the coolest members of Humanity but her prayers are for Iomedae The Inheritor. This is because Iomedae still answers prayers (and accessorizes a sword like nobody else can.)

Dana's Eidolon is a beautiful maiden clad flamboyantly for battle and look suspiciously like her, (ahem, not self important enough are we?)  All her summons are of the celestial type when push comes to shove.

Kinks: Dana is an Ice Cunt. You're welcome.
      Role: Dana is a utility caster for her Eidolon, which is like a second rate fighter.
      Archetype: Maiden of Virtue.

Blythe

Okay, I noticed people using Myth-Weavers. So....I tried that, too.

This is my sheet so far.

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=565292

I haven't added in a favored class bonus yet, though. If there's anything wrong with it, let me know, and I'll fix it. I'm not even sure I filled this all out right, by the way. Kinda took hours. Mistakes are likely inevitable.

SeraphBlade07

My math is probably funky, math isn't always my friend....

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=565803

That's so far...

hippyness

Yugi - Where did you put your +2 Ability Score? I'm guessing CHA right?

Roxy - Is Dana carrying any sort of weapon or armor? The Eidolon wouldn't have reach with both the Greatsword and it's claws. It would also have 11 HP. Full Hit Die plus Con.

Blythe - You have another skill point to spend, I might suggest Use Magic Device as Rogue is one of the few classes that can. Also, you may place either an extra skill point or an extra HP for favorite class.

Seraph - You're AC also includes your DEX modifier, the +3. As a rogue you should have a Reflex save base of +2 giving you a total of +5. Also, you can use Weapon Finesse on your rapier as well. And you're either missing two Ability Score points or we both misplaces Racial Mods. What numbers did you buy? You can choose three more languages to speak, having a +3 INT mod. There's is the favorite class bonus of +1 skill point or +1 HP.

Okay, seems like everyone is doing very good. We'll see what everyone's character's look like and then I guess it'll be about getting started. ^_^

Yukina

Blythe

Okay. Got it fixed.  I took the skill point in Use Magic Device, and keeping in mind about healing, I decided to take my favored class bonus as an extra hit point.

SeraphBlade07

Quote from: hippyness on May 06, 2013, 10:04:31 PM
Yugi - Where did you put your +2 Ability Score? I'm guessing CHA right?

Roxy - Is Dana carrying any sort of weapon or armor? The Eidolon wouldn't have reach with both the Greatsword and it's claws. It would also have 11 HP. Full Hit Die plus Con.

Blythe - You have another skill point to spend, I might suggest Use Magic Device as Rogue is one of the few classes that can. Also, you may place either an extra skill point or an extra HP for favorite class.

Seraph - You're AC also includes your DEX modifier, the +3. As a rogue you should have a Reflex save base of +2 giving you a total of +5. Also, you can use Weapon Finesse on your rapier as well. And you're either missing two Ability Score points or we both misplaces Racial Mods. What numbers did you buy? You can choose three more languages to speak, having a +3 INT mod. There's is the favorite class bonus of +1 skill point or +1 HP.

Okay, seems like everyone is doing very good. We'll see what everyone's character's look like and then I guess it'll be about getting started. ^_^

I bought the Misc Racial mod of Fiendish sorcery which I am replacing with his tail which was 1 and his spell like ability of darkness which is 2. and I'll add in those other things.

on another note... I'll leave this here...it applies to this XD

Never Split the Party

hippyness

Always split the party! Always, always go your own ways. Casters one way, warriors multiple ways. It'll be great.

SeraphBlade07

XD haha lol

another note I fixed those things on my CS...think my math still might be off with my stuff though...but...

Roxy Rocket

Quote from: hippyness on May 06, 2013, 10:04:31 PM

Urg, arg, must return to sleepwhenmicrowavemakesthinghot.

http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2kqlo?Animal-companioneidolon-HD-question

fourth post, from the developer, it's a bit like an animal companion and defaults to average (or rolled) hp even for its first hit die.

Haven't finished the sheets yet or reading stuff about stuff and just stuck in claws without reading, ugh.

sleeeeep

Aaaaand I haven't done the sheet for the celestial eagle summon that I should maybe do yes in mor ing mwahahaha microwave made the hot thing I WIN

hippyness

Hmm... didn't know that. I always though that animals got full HP as well. The thing about monster stat blocks is they are in fact an average. It's assumed a party of four can handle any given monster at the correct level. But when parties go above four, the stat blocks have to be adjusted, full HP, a few more points of AC and such.

Besides, rolling a 1 would be detrimental any companion, let alone one that should make up a good portion of your classes power. A druid or ranger companion maybe, because it's a side feature of the class but a Summoner only has the one trick. Go ahead and take full Hit Die for first level, Roxy.

Roxy Rocket

Quote from: hippyness on May 07, 2013, 01:18:00 PM
Go ahead and take full Hit Die for first level, Roxy.

Enh. Sure. Don't worry about me though, it turns out I have the nastiest version of summon monster anyone gets. So if PrincessEidolonPrincess goes splat I pelt people with bags of celestial eagles and things.

Going to finish the sheets. Do we have a count of who is doing what for combat roles?

arkhos

Just thought I would toss out a quick note...

I bought the Pathfinder book in order to play in an online game that folded after one session, but I'd love to join a "PF Noobie" game in the future.

If any slots open, or if there is a waiting-list of some kind, please feel free to toss me on it.

Thank you, and good luck with the game! :)

-ark
Wheels within wheels in a spiral array, a pattern so grand and complex; Time after time we lose sight of the way, our causes can't see their effects.

Roxy Rocket

AutoCAD another started one.

Ctrl + F on the group ads section you'll probably find it real easy.

Dana Hardy (again)
http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=565605
Dana's Eidolon (again)
http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=565632
Face Eating Bird (nom)
http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=566227

hippyness

Quote from: Roxy Rocket on May 07, 2013, 01:42:05 PMGoing to finish the sheets. Do we have a count of who is doing what for combat roles?

Here's the line up thus far, (I haven't heard from Marie yet):
Blythe - Male Dhampir Rogue
Roxy - Female Human Summoner and Fighter type summon
Yugi - Female Half-Elf Oracle (of Lore with Tongues)
Pleinair - Female Samsuran Orcacle (of Nature with Haunted)
Artichoke - Male Half-Orc Alchemist
Lurking - (pretty sure) Female Half-Elf Ranger
Seraph - Male Tiefling Rogue

I'd have to go back through all the character sheets to make better guesses at roles, although with this much versatility, I think you guys should do well. Maybe a little squishy, but with the Roxy's summon and Lurking's Ranger I think you're front line is solid.

So without further put offness, we are playing... -trumps sound-...

Yeah, it's Reign of Winter. I've already started flipping through the first book. The Player's Guide can be downloaded from Paizo's website for free http://paizo.com/products/btpy8x1t?Pathfinder-Adventure-Path-Reign-of-Winter-Players-Guide. In it, you'll be told helpful information for how your characters get involved with the story, a basic idea of the story and most importantly, the list of traits for this game (they aren't on the SRD -_-).

TRAITS! Some of you have them, some didn't know they are going to get them.
You'll each get two traits to add to your character. One trait may be picked from ANYWHERE you want it (the SRD has most of the traits listed, it's alot..) Try to be RP about them. They are to help define your character, not make them overly more powerful. But, I'd like if everyone would pick one of the few traits listed in the Reign of Winter Player's Guide. It ties your character closer to the region and story.

COLD WEATHER STUFF!
Okay, I haven't read far enough to know how important this is at the beginning of the story but start thinking about loading up on survival gear. This site is for roleplaying so I'm going to be a little tighter with the role playing rules. You all get a free outfit (worth less than 10gp) at the start, I shall suggest a Cold Weather Outfit or Explorer's Outfit. Blankets, tents, fire making tools. I won't harsh on weight rules too much in exchange, just don't go TOO crazy. Besides, if you don't have a tent, maybe you'll have to share with someone. ^_-

Once I get a chance, probably tomorrow, I'll make a thread in a game forum to start up some town based interactions. We'll keep using this as OOC until we get character sheets finalized.

I've totally excited for this guys. Let's save the Winter Witch.

Blythe

*is super excited* Awesome. I'll get to hunting down some traits.

Also, if the group turns out to be too squishy, I can switch to fighter or barbarian. Just let me know.

Yukina

Roxy Rocket

Easier to download
http://www.kingdomofmorrain.com/rein_of_winter_players_guide.pdf

I'll add traits soonish.

I wouldn't bother switching. We've got piles of people. I could do like a dozen things to be more front-line while still being a summoner (change my eidolon, change my archetype, blah blah blah)

And I think half the point of the cold weather is it's an obstacle in itself.

Blythe

Cool. Got traits selected and added to my stat sheet.

Pleinair

Not got specifics Hashed out, but here is my general sheet thingy XD Will add details, as I think of them.

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=565916

I play better then I make characters...or chat...<_<;;

SeraphBlade07

okay I updated my sheet I think I'm pretty much good to go with it now. and I bought a tent big enough for two...cause I like to share ;)

hippyness

Quote from: Roxy Rocket on May 07, 2013, 10:00:40 PM
      And I think half the point of the cold weather is it's an obstacle in itself.

Yeah, pretty much. That's why I'm trying to make in important.

Quote from: Blythe on May 07, 2013, 09:36:29 PM
*is super excited* Awesome. I'll get to hunting down some traits.

Also, if the group turns out to be too squishy, I can switch to fighter or barbarian. Just let me know.

Don't change, keep on keeping on. You don't get to pick your heroes perfectly, sometimes they have to work out the kinks themselves.

Roxy Rocket

Traits picked, sheet updated.

I read up on the Master Summoner Archetype. It's definitely better for holding a front line and very mean at early levels... but it'll quickly lead to me having 2-4 summons out besides the Eidolon, which means annoying the hell out of people.

But we've also got two rogues that might want things flank their targets, though Ranger/Alchemist might do that fine.

What else...

What kind of quick reference information do you (Hippyness) want? (so you don't have to keep peeking at the sheets.)
      AC / Saves?
      Perception / Sense motive bonuses?
      Vision / Sense types?
      Supernatural abilities?

Quote from: hippyness on May 08, 2013, 11:54:36 AM
Don't change, keep on keeping on.

Goody. No archetype swapping for me.

SeraphBlade07

hippyness

As for what I need for quick reference, I'll be covering a DM screen (for Changeling: The Dreaming) in my own sticky notes that I will make. Some classes I'll need to know different stuff. I need to note which progression of Uncanny Dodge people have, feats that may or may not affect enemy movement and such. And of course, with the internets being what they are, I can always look up your sheet with out you knowing, I just need to get use to Mythweaver's layout...

SeraphBlade07

Blythe

Is there a good online resource I can use to read about the setting? Just asking.

Roxy Rocket

Golarion (I keep thinking Galore-ian) is a mash of kingdoms and empires and things in a region called The Inner Sea. Each one is basically a flavor specific setting (Galt is a continuous French Revolution, Ustalev is Transylvania land, Brevoy is a redo of A Song of Ice and Fire.) There's on nation that's all Barbarians, Dinosaurs and wrecked Alien Spaceships. There's even a region (the world wound? I forget) that's basically warhammer: a constant crusade against the demons crawling out of the earth.

It's generic for D&D. There's room for steampunk, barbarian hordes and even some Planes (as in planescape... don't ask.) They're covered in splats, one for each race and region, a core book (Guide to the Inner Sea?) and the important bits are on most Pathfinder Wikis if you peek around for Golarion.

Specific to us:

The jumping off point is Taldor. It's a former empire, mostly human and well enough off, but its upper crust is corrupt and wasteful and enamored with Knights and Sorcery.

The group turns up in... um, Hemskelt? Some backwater village, population less than five hundred. It's the nearest settlement to a forest that's fallen under a spell of winter, true winter, harsh and blasting and out of season, localized on the forest.

A noble woman of Taldor (I forget the reason, getting married or such) was traveling and was waylaid near the forest. The adventurers are concerned with her rescue (for reward or reknown) and perhaps seeing about the trouble of the weather over the forest.

The broad plot has to do with Irresen, a nation up north where a witch of ice and snow rules. This witch changes every hundred years as they're brought by their mother, Baba Yaga, left to rule and ripen for a hundred years and then join their mother on some other plane.

The change hasn't happened, Baba Yaga hasn't turned up and Winter is going all over the place, with the PC's trapped in the far north and trying to fix things.

So, mostly it's about Irresen, Taldor is just a generic fantasy hole we jump off from and then we get to freeze out bits off for the good of the world.

Blythe

*reads what Roxy posted*

Oh, good. I feel better about the setting now, since it's supposed to be generic.  :-)

Roxy Rocket

Quote from: Blythe on May 09, 2013, 06:12:02 PM
*reads what Roxy posted*

Oh, good. I feel better about the setting now, since it's supposed to be generic.  :-)

Generic setting for generic people like us.

And put your pants back on for godsake.

Blythe

Roxy Rocket

Quote from: Blythe on May 09, 2013, 07:19:03 PM
...no.

You know, just cause y'aint the only misfit halfbreed in this here convoy doesn't mean y'ain't special.

And Yer takin "stand out" a little literally thar.

*wonders where everyone went*

Blythe

Quote from: Roxy Rocket on May 09, 2013, 08:14:48 PM

Lurking and I keep in touch via PM, and she's still working on a character sheet, the last time we chatted. As for everyone else, I've no clue.

Roxy Rocket

Well, that's okay. More Ice Witches for the rest of us.

*yawns starts trying on witch-burning outfits*

Mmmm. Repressing their heathen religion...

*drools*

Yukina

Quote from: Roxy Rocket on May 09, 2013, 08:14:48 PM
      You know, just cause y'aint the only misfit halfbreed in this here convoy doesn't mean y'ain't special.

And Yer takin "stand out" a little literally thar.

I am still present.

Roxy Rocket

Quote from: Yugishogun on May 09, 2013, 09:04:09 PM
I am still present.

Nawp. Too late ya little stuffed baar thang, ya missed roll call.

No treasure for you today. We've got this Enrique guy fillin' yer place.

Yukina

Quote from: Roxy Rocket on May 09, 2013, 09:14:54 PM
      Nawp. Too late ya little stuffed baar thang, ya missed roll call.

No treasure for you today. We've got this Enrique guy fillin' yer place.

I have been fully present. I have only not posted due to lack of things to say. In what way would that mean I get replaced? My character sheet link is on the second page as well.

Blythe

Yukina

Sorry. I don't take unnoted teasing as a joke really. I have never found teasing funny, but just hurtful....

SeraphBlade07

Roxy Rocket

Quote from: Yugishogun on May 09, 2013, 09:29:22 PM
Sorry. I don't take unnoted teasing as a joke really. I has never funny, but just hurtful....

Sorry big guy. I'll stow the chatter in mah handi-haversack fer the present.

(And Enrique was, ya know, mexican type person or something stealin' yer jerb...)

Ahem, shutting up now.

Blythe

I don't think Roxy meant it badly, Yugi.   Ninja'd.

Oh, I did want to ask those of you here if any of you wanted to think of ways some of our characters might know each other? I mean, the whole party might not be fully acquainted, but maybe some of know each other already? Might be interesting.

Yukina

Quote from: Roxy Rocket on May 09, 2013, 09:31:53 PM
Sorry big guy. I'll stow the chatter in mah handi-haversack fer the present.

(And Enrique was, ya know, mexican type person or something stealin' yer jerb...)

Ahem, shutting up now.

It's fine. Just please tell me before you do that though.

Roxy Rocket

Honestly, I thought I was going to take the Rich Parents Trait, turn up with a wagon of equipment and gold and hire me a team of upstanding citizens to help retrieve my dear cousin from yon winter wood.

I kinda scrapped most of that so I'm down to "wander out to the boonies with my implausibly strong twin and start looking for a carriage tipped over, maybe with a lot of arrows in it."

Maybe I could find the nearest bar and make some awful, pretend-drunk speech:

*Loud and badly acted*

"What? How dare you sir. Just because I'm rescuing a damsel, doesn't mean I'm going to ransom her back to her family for piles of gold. Yes, yes, maybe I'd ask politely for compensation for having dealt with some minor and inconsequential bandits and ruffians, but that is hardly a ransom. Besides, I bet she wasn't even carrying her golden tiara or bejeweled handkerchief when they took her into those woods. What kind of lady would keep those things in her luxury carriage to get stolen by inconsequential bandits, who wouldn't even know where to hide such treasures properly, lest they be stolen back by stout hearted adventurers. If I were looking for riches, you rude person, I would hardly need to ransom grateful, generous, high born ladies."

*Stops hamming it up before we run out of pigs*

Yukina

The bar bit seems interesting. Mayb my character could meet your's on he journey. She the runaway oracle of her town, having only been accepted by her human hometown due to her powers.

Marie Reynolds

Sorry College just started and it ate me, but I am back and I hope their is still a slot for me?

SeraphBlade07

Understandable about college eating people it does that...

hippyness

Quote from: Marie Reynolds on May 10, 2013, 09:03:04 AM
Sorry College just started and it ate me, but I am back and I hope their is still a slot for me?

Of course. As for being quiet, I had not expected this game to fill up and be ready to start so quickly. I have real life obligations that take some of my time during the week and of course unexpected things as well. Tonight I should be able to post a starting thread.

Sadly, this Path doesn't have a built in reason for why your characters come together in this tiny town so we'll say it's fate that you're souls happen to be in the area. For whatever reason, heading somewhere else, born there or unlucky enough to be stuck there, you guys are in, around or a part of the town.

Force that into your back stories and away we'll be. ^_-

SeraphBlade07

Marie Reynolds

Okay so I have settled on a Ulfen Human Female Shield Maiden With the Cavalier Class and the Archetype Beast Rider and will have an Auroch as my mount. Would anyone like to make some background ties?

Blythe

I figure my character is in this backwater in Taldor because he's laying low. Seems likely his roguish ways have gotten him in trouble, and this place in the middle of nowhere seemed a great place to stay while letting the commotion he caused elsewhere die down. Once he hears about the noblewoman, he'll want in just for a reward, because he's probably itching for cash at this point. If a group looks like it's forming, he'll want in, of course. Especially if he hears Roxy's character saying this:

Quote from: Roxy Rocket on May 09, 2013, 09:56:10 PM
      "What? How dare you sir. Just because I'm rescuing a damsel, doesn't mean I'm going to ransom her back to her family for piles of gold. Yes, yes, maybe I'd ask politely for compensation for having dealt with some minor and inconsequential bandits and ruffians, but that is hardly a ransom. Besides, I bet she wasn't even carrying her golden tiara or bejeweled handkerchief when they took her into those woods. What kind of lady would keep those things in her luxury carriage to get stolen by inconsequential bandits, who wouldn't even know where to hide such treasures properly, lest they be stolen back by stout hearted adventurers. If I were looking for riches, you rude person, I would hardly need to ransom grateful, generous, high born ladies."      

There are so many money references that my greedy rogue wouldn't be able to resist. His eyes just light up with golden coins, and he starts to drool in anticipation of generous noblewomen and treasure.

I'd be happy to tie in my dhampir, Syrex, to anyone else's character. It's entirely possible that he's, er, "bumped" into another character before, perhaps unburdening them from a few of their less needed coins.  ;)  Doesn't mean he's out to start trouble now, of course. He's supposed to be behaving right now to avoid further trouble.

It's also possible that he knows any other rogue character, maybe if they were in a guild together.

Roxy Rocket

Quote from: Marie Reynolds on May 10, 2013, 11:39:44 AM
Okay so I have settled on a Ulfen Human Female Shield Maiden With the Cavalier Class and the Archetype Beast Rider and will have an Auroch as my mount. Would anyone like to make some background ties?

Maybe the north has been having trouble for a while and folk have come south trying to avoid it ( and maybe with unseasonal winter popping up all over galorian however you spellit, all over the place she decides it might be time to see about fixing it?

short term: our party is probably not full of people used to real winters... and yours finds put we're going to wander into the woods and probably get ourselves killed... unless you come along?

Also? AUROCHS! Woo! Yeaaaah.

sorry about the mess, I'm typing on this useless... phone... thingnevermind.

Quote from: Blythe on May 10, 2013, 04:32:25 PM
It's also possible that he knows any other rogue character, maybe if they were in a guild together.

The village is a backwater in the south of the kingdom. Sounds like the kind of place you'd be able to run a fence out of: Naughty people bring their ill gotten goods here, have them run over the boarder or shipped over the sea to that bigass city... one with the starstone... whatever.

Fence runs goods out and brings gold or ordered items in. Maybe one of is that fence, or has just been smuggled in after a bad go in another territory, or hanging around waiting for a well to do naughty person to team up with.

Shame there are no rich people in the group, you could be their butler.

Jeeeeeeeves!

Yugi: I didn't read about the class, butdon't oracles and priests and stuff... don't they get circumstances arranged so they turn up at the right place and time? Or maybe just get an address, like a pizza delivery person, handed to them by the powers that be?

Yukina

Mary finds her beeper went off. "Hmm..one miraculous presence at a random village and they also need a medium sausage pizza." The oracle then goes on her way.

hippyness

Okay everyone, here we go. We'll mostly move into the IC and OOC thread but I'd like to keep character creation and totally off topic conversation here.

Please read whichever link goes to the OOC thread first. It will explain some stuff. I like to teach in to moment, table tops are easier that way but I will answer questions as they get asked.

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=173718.0

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=173716.0

Roxy Rocket

Joy. I'll cut a chunk out of my fluff, go and expos...ition myself into play and try to decide where to take my diplomacy roll for information.

Juuuust as soon as Ihave a little nap

Blythe

Quote from: Roxy Rocket on May 10, 2013, 05:37:30 PM
Fence runs goods out and brings gold or ordered items in. Maybe one of is that fence, or has just been smuggled in after a bad go in another territory, or hanging around waiting for a well to do naughty person to team up with.

Shame there are no rich people in the group, you could be their butler.

Jeeeeeeeves!

I quite like the idea of someone being a fence that my dhampir would team up with.

And nah, wouldn't be the butler. Maybe gigolo, but not a butler.  ::)

Now I'm off to check out the OOC and IC. If anyone wants to plan anything with my character, feel free to PM me. I'll work on a description of my character, a bit of history, etc. to be posted where it belongs so there's some info about him.

Marie Reynolds

Thanks for the opportunity but it seems I will have to withdraw.

hippyness

We are currently looking for two people to join us on our wintery trip. Any other people interested but new to Pathfinder that would like to play can post here and I'll contact you by PM as soon as I am able.

chaospaladin

Hey there. I would love to play, but I'm afraid I'm not all that new. But if the slot remains open let me know if you'd be okay with a bit of an experienced player.

Kay Tana

I've played a decent amount of 3.5, but sadly my DnD days died out right before 4.0. I need to read back over all the posts, but I'm going to just blindly throw in my hat on this one.

PS I've read the whole thread now and I'm even more interested. I think the inquisitor I made for Autocad's game would be a good fit here with a few tweaks. Is there set starting gold or do we have the recommended average per our class? Here is what I'd have so far.
http://plothook.net/RPG/profiler/view.php?id=12253

SheepishRogue

An opening :o now's my chance!

I am completely new to pathfinder/DnD would like to try out a DnD system for once in my life (especially since my roommate just joined one XD). Will brush up on the basics in the meantime. :)
More about me!       Ons and Offs
Skype Available