Vampire the Masquerade Mafia [Game Thread] [Day Phase 4]

Started by Blythe, May 13, 2016, 11:35:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clio

I am going to have to read up on some of these things before I accidentally get myself in trouble...lol.
Signature by the amazing Amaris.

persephone325

Seems like we're damned if we do, and damned if we don't.
This doesn't have to end in a fight, Buck.
It always ends in a fight.
You pulled me from the river. Why?
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

AndyZ

Quote from: persephone325 on May 18, 2016, 03:13:17 PM
Seems like we're damned if we do, and damned if we don't.

I see what you did there.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

AmberStarfire

I think expressing a viewpoint is potentially all it would take to bring that about (getting in trouble). What's meant to be straightforward may sometimes come off as suspicious if people are looking for something suspicious in it. Hopefully this won't be read that way.

Madame Professor

Remi, I totally get your point, it would suck to lose our Seer. But hear me out:

There are 16 players. The odds that we lynch out Seer are 1 in 16.

Of those 16 players, 4 of them are Sabbat. The odds of lynching a Sabbat member are 4 in 16, or 1 in 4.

So, yes. It's possible. But less likely.
The Professor's Research Notes (O/O)  Locked away in the Laboratory (A/A) 
Not currently available for new roleplays
Procaffeinating: (verb) The tendency to not start anything until you've had a cup of coffee.
Perkatory: (noun) The anguished, prolonged period spent waiting for a fresh pot of coffee to be ready.

AndyZ

But only 4 Sabbat. So if it's 1 in 4 to lynch a Sabbat, it's 3 in 4 to lynch a Camarilla.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Mintprincess

Quote from: AndyZ on May 18, 2016, 06:06:41 PM
But only 4 Sabbat. So if it's 1 in 4 to lynch a Sabbat, it's 3 in 4 to lynch a Camarilla.
Which is why, along with my other reasons, I voted for nobody.   Because the odds without information are not in our favor.  We didn't lynch on the first day in the past ones I played and still the village equivalent did just fine. And we did fine because we actually had some information to use to determine the right player to lynch. 

I stand by my nobody. 

Intimate Ink

While, at the moment, I remain too unconvinced to move from my own stance of 'nobody'... I have been given some things to think about, so I want to add:

First, I do appreciate the communication shown about some stances.  It does help put my mind at ease about some... though, perhaps not others, admittedly.  It's only through talking through things we can make up for this information deficit between us, yes?

Also, I want to say as someone who knows other World of Darkness games much better than Vampire.. well... I rather enjoy the in-character color and would hate to see it drained out of this place out of fear of all the different ways it could be taken as different than intended.  That is the creative reader and writer in me I suppose, but I would hate to be accidentally harsh on ill-informed or accidental attempts to be simply adding flourish to otherwise dry prose.

AmberStarfire

I agree (I like the in-character dialogue in particular and wouldn't want to see that left out on the off chance it would be taken other than intended). As for V:TM, I've played it at conventions and playtested it with a tabletop group before (a couple of times I think). I've played ToS but not Mafia. I have some understanding of Vampire but not a lot, and I watched the tv show many years ago.

Galactic Druid

Alright, answer me this, those of you who feel voting nobody is the right thing to do; what do we do tomorrow if the Seer scries a villager overnight, and doesn't come forward with that information (which they definitely shouldn't.)? What if we get no new information, other than someone is now dead? Do we just go for several days without a lynch, letting them pick us off one by one in the name of not having information?  As it stands, a shot in the dark is a 25% change to kill a bad guy, and those aren't terrible odds. We already have more to go on than random guessing anyway, a few of you have already made your suspicions clear. Having an educated guess is better than a blind guess, which is still better, in my opinion, than no guess at all.

My biggest suspicions are Remi, because I know he knows better than this, and AndyZ, who seems to agree that Remi seems shady and is going for Geeklet as a result. I'm keeping my vote on Remi, however, since he wants to "turn that tables" on those of us who actually want to take action against the Sabbat.

Honestly though, even lynching me is a better option than nothing; at the very least you won't have to worry about lycan claims the rest of the game when I'm gone.
A/As last updated 11/27 - Halfway past busy season!

Seranova

Playing multi-night mafia-style games is still a bit new to me. When I was told that not voting is only helping team 'evil', I was immediately confused, as the math just doesn't add up. Sure, you can watch voting patterns, and you can watch other people defending or attacking. But with no prior info, you can't really tell if they're defending because they're protecting their teammate or if they're just blindly defending because they think it's the right call, and vice-versa.

And while you can watch vote patterns, that doesn't help in the actual picking phase. A name is called out, and by the time you realize that everyone is on board with it, it's too late. There goes team village loyalist, and another will die in the night phase. And here's the limp when it was your bodyguard or seer. The chances of actually lynching correctly on the first day just seems far too slim for my taste.

Also, RPG, there's nothing 'educated' about the guesses that have been made so far. I think Remi is evil because he made flavor text? I think Geeklet is evil because Remi is alluding to a role not in play? How are those educated?

Sticking with nobody.
Sera's Ons/Off's
Hello darkness, my old friend.
I've come to talk with you again.

Galactic Druid

The examples you used in response to me are the reasons I'm suspicious of certain individuals. Like I said before, I don't think Remi is evil because of flavor text, I have my own reason for being suspicious of Remi. I'm suspicious of AndyZ because "I think Geeklet is evil because Remi is alluding to a role not in play" was his line of logic. I totally agree that that is shady as hell, which is why, as I said, I'm suspicious of Andy.

AndyZ

Let me put this into Werewolf examples:

Remiel: Boy, my arms sure hurt after working with heavy rocks all day.
AndyZ: So, you're a Mason?
Geeklet: When did Remiel claim Mason?
AndyZ: Come on, Geeklet, you're smarter than that.
Remiel: Oh...I wasn't claiming Mason.  I don't know what that is.

Remiel might be shady; I'm not sure.  However, Geeklet not knowing that Toreadors are pretty is quite shady.

Honestly, I think the best way for Village to win this is for Seer to reveal.  Bodyguard can watch them every night and Mafia won't even know when they get the Bodyguard, which would give town a LOT of time to get info.  However, I know full well we won't do that.

I'll give 24 hours from Guy's reveal for someone else to try to claim Ventrue/Lycan, and if no one else does, I can assume with reasonable certainty that he's the real deal and take him into my confidence (via PM) for what I think is going on.

Seranova

Quote from: AndyZ on May 18, 2016, 08:12:37 PM
I'll give 24 hours from Guy's reveal for someone else to try to claim Ventrue/Lycan, and if no one else does, I can assume with reasonable certainty that he's the real deal and take him into my confidence (via PM) for what I think is going on.

So... I can claim anything I want, and if nobody counters me, you'll believe it? I'm a purple people eater.
Sera's Ons/Off's
Hello darkness, my old friend.
I've come to talk with you again.

Geeklet

Quote from: AndyZ on May 18, 2016, 08:12:37 PM
Remiel might be shady; I'm not sure.  However, Geeklet not knowing that Toreadors are pretty is quite shady.

Quote from: Geeklet on May 18, 2016, 03:05:10 PM
Except that Tories aren't necessarily known for being PRETTY, they are known for being ARTISTS. The two are not always one in the same.

Anyone who knows VTM, please try to tell me what I said is false.

AndyZ

Quote from: Seranova on May 18, 2016, 08:16:31 PM
So... I can claim anything I want, and if nobody counters me, you'll believe it? I'm a purple people eater.

If you claim to be a particular role and someone counters you immediately, we know that one of you is lying, and we have time to get to the bottom of things.

If, on the other hand, someone waits until they've been accused by the seer to claim Ventrue, then no way am I going to believe them over the guy who claimed it the first freaking day.

Honestly, if Guy is lying, the real Ventrue should speak up and say so.

Quote from: Geeklet on May 18, 2016, 08:25:03 PM
Anyone who knows VTM, please try to tell me what I said is false.

Quote from: Blythe on April 04, 2016, 09:38:04 PM
The Toreador Harpy: The Toreador are a clan well-known for their intrigue and beauty. They are exceptionally adept at knowing all the juiciest gossip.

I let you get off the hook in a previous game with such semantics because you claimed to be having RL difficulties.  I won't do it again.

Geeklet

AndyZ

Which is why I quoted Blythe and his explanations, which is all Remiel would have to go on ^_^

persephone325

Quote from: AndyZ on May 18, 2016, 08:31:32 PM
I let you get off the hook in a previous game with such semantics because you claimed to be having RL difficulties.  I won't do it again.

Kinda want to point out that OOC knowledge and complications shouldn't be considered when determining who to vote for. As such for all mafia games.
This doesn't have to end in a fight, Buck.
It always ends in a fight.
You pulled me from the river. Why?
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

Geeklet

Except the reason you point the finger at me was MY knowledge, not his.

I hope someone investigates you tonight and finds you to be evil.

It would prove my conspiracy theory.

Blythe

Quote from: persephone325 on May 18, 2016, 08:49:29 PM
Kinda want to point out that OOC knowledge and complications shouldn't be considered when determining who to vote for. As such for all mafia games.

Correct.

If someone says they are having RL difficulties or give notice they might be away/delayed on E, they should be believed, please.

It's generally very bad form to penalize someone in-game for this sort of reason.

I really do not want to see that in this game, please.

I also do not want to see people penalizing players based on their lack of knowledge of VtM. I told people that they could play, even if they were not familiar with VtM, if they just wanted to play a mafia game. If need be, I'll take a headcount in PMs of who is familiar with VtM and who isn't and make a quick list, if that would resolve this particular matter.

Mintprincess

But even if someone is familiar Blythe that doesn't mean they can't make a mistake.   I pointed out that it isn't very fair to be more critical of someone who is supposed to have knowledge since we aren't on an even playing ground.    Regardless if people think that's better that's fine, but also those without knowledge can't use those mistakes to call people out anyway.   

I'd rather we used the skin for some fun rp and dynamic and not as a way to accuse people of things that might have no bearing.   

Blythe

Quote from: Mintprincess on May 18, 2016, 09:24:22 PM

I'd rather we used the skin for some fun rp and dynamic and not as a way to accuse people of things that might have no bearing.   

This is, ideally, what the theme was intended to be for. Just for flavor. :-(

Galactic Druid

Quote from: Blythe on May 18, 2016, 09:21:33 PM
Correct.

If someone says they are having RL difficulties or give notice they might be away/delayed on E, they should be believed, please.

It's generally very bad form to penalize someone in-game for this sort of reason.

I really do not want to see that in this game, please.

I also do not want to see people penalizing players based on their lack of knowledge of VtM. I told people that they could play, even if they were not familiar with VtM, if they just wanted to play a mafia game. If need be, I'll take a headcount in PMs of who is familiar with VtM and who isn't and make a quick list, if that would resolve this particular matter.

This, right here. In general, votes shouldn't be over things like knowledge of a game's lore or online availability (though a GM may have no choice but to eliminate a consistently inactive player at times), but about in-game activity.

Mintprincess

Quote from: Blythe on May 18, 2016, 09:26:04 PM
This is, ideally, what the theme was intended to be for. Just for flavor. :-(
. -licks the theme-  yup it tastes pretty damn good!