News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Resources to teach kids thread?

Started by Sara Nilsson, November 12, 2020, 08:05:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sara Nilsson

A discussion spawned on discord about remote teaching in these days and what resources exist to help with that. I know Oniya has posted a few links here and there but do we have a place where those links are collected and where people can go ask about it?

Britwitch

Sounds like a very useful thing to set up given the world situation and as a teacher I'd be happy to share some links that I know about. ;D

Current status : Selectively seeking new stories

Oniya

We had a thread in Elliquiy U a while back - not specifically 'kids' oriented, but might work for the teens.  I think that Elliquiy U would be the best place for such a thread.  I'll see if I can track down the other one and poke it to the surface.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Oniya

"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Black Howling

This would be a wonderful thread, speaking as someone that's had to get resource advice for remote teaching themselves.

Envious

Help for the guardian or the scholar? What grade level? Do you want concepts taught or concepts supported? Do you want them plopped down in front of a screen listening or do you want them actively doing? How much guardian involvement? Is there ability for monetary investment?

KhanAcademy is a great all-around resource. If you narrow down your need, I may have specific directions to point you toward if they align with things I've taught. Feel free to message me.

Nachtmahr

What about a thread where people could essentially post what they've got, with a short description of why they're recommending it, target audience and more? That way it wouldn't just help people find material to educate their young ones, but also potentially stuff they could use to educate themselves on interesting topics, as well, as a sort of directory of users (voluntarily, of course) who maybe specialize in different fields and are willing to share their insights or recommendations if approached?

As a soon-to-be (hopefully) historian myself, I think it could be both fun and interesting to have an official channel, of sorts, to share material I think might be good for those interested in my field. Maybe others (teachers, academics, etc) feel the same?

Either way, spreading knowledge is always a good thing, so I'll happily help out if need be.
~Await the Dawn With Her Kiss of Redemption, My Firebird!~
~You Were the Queen of the Souls of Man Before There Was the Word~

Oniya

This is an excellent idea.  I should be able to whip up something template-like in a little while.

Oniya

And, started.

Everyone feel free to contribute.  :D