Rufren Mayata - Reload

Started by Ramael, June 19, 2010, 03:00:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aya

Pf I have minions to order around regardless.

Krayz

Quote from: Ramael on June 27, 2010, 05:37:06 PM
Being as we have so much Oligarchy interest...let me expand.

*swells up to twice his size*

Now I'll talk to you about the Oligarchy.

Involved with? Your usual organised crime stuff, with some spice thrown in - slave trade (both human and half-breed), drug distribution (I'll let you invent your own drugs if you decide to focus on this), arms trade, extortion, blackmail, money loaning, etc. It is worth noting that the Cartel operate in many of the same fields, hence a reason for their conflict.

I was thinking of the Oligarchy as being a lot more efficient and well-run than the Cartel. A smooth-running Mafia, with strict order and hierarchy. With the Oligarchy, the emphasis is much more on the group than the individual. With the Cartel, being of fewer number they focus more on the individual.

Thinking about it more now, I was playing with the idea of expanding the Oligarches' individuality. For instance, if each Oligarch, having his/her own set of minions that work for the Oligarchy as a whole, have their own "brand" that they administer to their servants, a mark or tatoo that not only marks them as members of the Oligarchy, but also as private property of their particular Oligarch. That way the Oligarchy breaks down into eight small gangs combining as a whole entity.

Aya, being as you've already made an Oligarch, if you want to run with this idea, it's upto you. You can have your own symbol for your minions, maybe even your own theme if you'd like.

Of course that my thinking in introducing this concept is that once you brand servants/thieves/thugs/bodyguards, they become property. And criminals+their own property+working with other criminals=conflict. The Oligarches could be waging a secret war against each other for overall dominance of the Oligarchy whilst their overt conflict with the Cartel rages. Think of the internal conflicts of the Dragonlords of Krynn, or the constant infighting between Dark Eldar Cabals, for example.

Added spice!

P.S I only said that about the Oligarchy because I thought that, out of all the four options, I figured they would be the least popular due to their more ordered nature. For some reason.
Heh, I prefer organization, in many ways.

I like the overall sound of that, in general. Seeing as aya has made the first Oligarch, however, I think that it's fair to say that she gets to call the shots on the matter.

I also like the references, btw, Ramael, lol.

aya

Heh, any ideas are more than welcome. Personally, I have no idea what I'm going to do in the Olligarchy right now. I aligned there because I thought it suited my character the best :)

Krayz

I rather liked Ram's ideas, so I think I'll stick with them when I make my character :)

Ramael

So when Krayz posts a character up, we'll have four, including me (maybe five including Ironwolf). I'd like to hold out for a couple more, but no probs starting it like this for now and allowing more players in as time goes on.

For now, I'll post up some brainstorms of mine from the old interest check thread, just some splurges of ideas I had. They're from early on, so they don't have anything concrete on the Cartel, Oligarchy, or Atayo City, but I think they still retain something of the feel of Rufren.

For more brainsauce, I like to think of Rufren Mayata as Spirited Away meets Sin City, as Gintama meets The Sopranos, and as Inuyasha meets Blacksad.

Brainsauce;

Quote from: Ramael on February 24, 2010, 08:00:25 PM

For example, maybe one character is a witch hunter on the trail of a witch he has been stalking for some time. He stops at a fairy market in the woods for supplies, and overhears talk (talk between an imp, and a group of masked youths) of a travelling circus group with a new performer whom sounds like she could be the witch he is hunting. Going to see the performance, he sees the "new girl" is not in fact the witch he is stalking but a beautiful young psychic, who wows the audience with her telekinetic powers.

Trying to find this girl backstage after the show, he is blocked by two hefty bodyguards, a chain-smoking minotaur and a giggling catgirl. The catgirl eventually persuades her partner to let the witch hunter have his mind read by the psychic, whilst the two bodyguards stand watch.

Another idea...two magicians, from rival schools of magic, engage each other in regular and friendly magic-based "duels" taking place across various settings, atop a huge white tower, in a secluded mountain resort, at a student festival, etc. The two are quite famous and acquire interesting sidekicks with their own abilities over time. One of these sidekicks summons a hungry Jinn for a duel...only to find out, halfway through the magician's battle, that the Jinn is on a demonic Wanted List, and suddenly elite demonic policemen appear on the scene. Chaos ensues, with both magicians' teams classed as hostiles along with the baffled Jinn, who only agreed to be summoned in the first place if he was fed his favourite brand of dumplings, and promptly flees the messy battle in pursuit of them...

Now say that the sidekick who summoned the Jinn was the witch who was being hunted in the first story.

Another one...say a rogue succubus happens to find comfort and solace in the companionship of an attractive homosexual ninja assassin, whom also happens to be a supermodel, and whose chiselled features are seen on the front of magazines and billboards. The two have a happy friendship, the famous ninja giving the vein and flirty succubus camera time and her own photoshoots in return for added protection being as the whole world knows the ninja's identity.
Enter a glamorous pop diva who is a celebrity in her own right, and who used to be on the same modelling agency as the ninja. She hires (read:seduces) a motley crew of unlikelys(harlequins, catboys, wizards) into kidnapping the succubus and using her to blackmail the ninja into retirement, and also because she has the hots for our ninja, and believes that she is "the right woman" that he "needs" to find. Hilarity ensues.

If you felt a little dash of steampunk in amongst any of this, you wouldn't be too wrong. Only a little dash, though.

Ironwolf85

yes including me!
I'm playing even if I'm starting as nuteral
Prudence, justice, temperance, courage, faith, hope, love...
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.
Civilization: the ability to put that psycho in prision for killing people.

Ramael

Threads up! - Game
- OOC
- Characters

I would've posted up the characters myself, but I want to leave it open for you guys to modify your characters histories and whatnot.

Ramael

"Wanteds".....wanted.

Slots still open for fugitive demon/mortal half-breeds!

That, and the Brimstone Burger Cartel could use another PC member, I think.

Ironwolf85

Prudence, justice, temperance, courage, faith, hope, love...
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.
Civilization: the ability to put that psycho in prision for killing people.

Ramael

Rebooted.

Old playerbase, come back if you can!

New players, drink in this Interest Thread, the OOC and Prologue, and let me know here or via PM if you want to carve out a piece of Ayato City or the unforgiving Outlands for yourself.

aya

I'll revive Lilith for this, it was one of the most fun RPs and settings I've played. And here I thought I slaughtered it with my ungodly long posts >_>

Vampricprincessty

Wow, Ramael! I didn't know you restarted this rp! I would love to come back if its ok with you!

Ramael

Aya, Vampy - I would be honoured if you both rejuvinated your characeters!

Aya, those posts were delightful and meaty. Not too long at all!

Still looking for Brimstone Burger Cartel members, another Oligarch or two, a meddling Bounty Hunter (/huntress), and a couple of panicked but powerful Wanted.

Vampricprincessty

Name: Mayu
Race: Half Demon
Appearance:
Her human appearance:
Equipment: A sword she inherited from her father.
History: She is the daughter of a great demon Lee Gong. Unforuately she never met him for he died soon after her birth. He had two kids. Meaning she has a older brother somewhere. She barely remembers him but she does remember one thing. He was vampire. Her father must have had some weird sex partners to make the two kids he did. Anyway, she searches for brother. Wondering why he left her the way he did. Nothing is going to stop her from finding him.
Personality: Aggrestive, Reckless, short temper
Powers: Claws: Her claws have a poison in them. Which she uses when fighting otherwise her claws are harmless.  Sword: The sword Tangasu has many abilties but she has not mastered any of them yet. Also on the nights of a full moon, she loses her demon powers. She is only a half demon after all so she hides out on these nights. Not wanting anyone to see her human side. Then, if some power is strong enough she loses herself. Becoming a full demon but not able to control herself. Thus going on a killing spree.
Alignment: Most would see her as evil for her demon side but she is not. All she wants at the moment is to find her brother.

Is it ok to post my character here? I am going to change her a little but wanted to place it here so I could find her.

Ramael

I was just garnering interest for now Vampy. I'll set up a character sheet template soon, but you don't need to reapply or re-post a CS, you're definately in! :D

Vampricprincessty

Thanks! I was doing it for myself more than anything. I tend to lost my CS alot.