News:

Main Menu

Doctor Who Junkie!

Started by Usani, September 19, 2012, 08:12:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sublime

Has anybody read the books?

Oniya

Used to have a fairly big collection of the novelizations.  In fact, that's the only reason I know what happened (plot wise) in Logopolis and Castrovalva.  I'd also like to add that I was very disappointed that they named that one after one of Escher's few normal lithographs.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Sublime

How are they?
I saw them at the comic book store the other day...
I wanted them, but I was afraid I may not enjoy them as much as the television series

Which would you have preferred it to be named after?

Oniya

They follow the episodes very well (at least for the ones that I was able to both read and see!) 

After looking through my book on Escher, I think 'Belvedere' fits the episode best.  At first glance, everything seems fine, but then when you look closely, reality takes a hard left on you.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Avis habilis

I used to have dozens of the old Target paperbacks of episodes from Hartnell to Davison. My parents gave them all to a 10-year-old sci-fi loving cousin a while ago, so they went to a good home.

Polymorph

The books released  by the BBC since Dr Who returned a few years back are all original stories rather than being novelisations of aired episodes. They release six per series, featuring whatever companion is with the Doctor for that season. Or in the case of the year he had no companion, a temporary sidekick for each story. They are not written by the same authors who write the series and if you worry about things like canon then they are not as far as I can tell. I'd classify them as fanfiction, but generally good quality fanfiction.

I bought most of them for the first four series then tailed off and stopped. They can be entertaining, but are fairly short and if you are a quick read one will only last you a couple of days at best. This format was also repeated for Torchwood.

Callie Del Noire

I really want to kill the writers.. Just saw the last of Amy/Rory's eps. It's sad.. but good in a way too.

Stella

I am so late to the DW party ... it's timey-wimey ... :p

Agggh I cried so much when the Ponds left. They were my favourite companions. I'm trying to get excited about Oswin/Clara ... I've loved all the companions so far so it stands to reason I'll love her too but I'm having Pond withdrawls already. :/

I've read a few of the books. I was really excited about Martha's story, all about what she did in the year she walked the earth alone. It was really, really poor though. It's a shame it wasn't written better, there's so much potential for what might have happened in that year that never was!

Didact

Quote from: Stella on October 24, 2012, 03:00:23 AM
I am so late to the DW party ... it's timey-wimey ... :p

Agggh I cried so much when the Ponds left. They were my favourite companions. I'm trying to get excited about Oswin/Clara ... I've loved all the companions so far so it stands to reason I'll love her too but I'm having Pond withdrawls already. :/

I've read a few of the books. I was really excited about Martha's story, all about what she did in the year she walked the earth alone. It was really, really poor though. It's a shame it wasn't written better, there's so much potential for what might have happened in that year that never was!

Am I the only one who didn't find the last episode particularly moving?

It wasn't bad. I was just very conscious of the fact that the writers wanted the Ponds out of the way. The convoluted logic preventing the Doctor from seeing them again was so flimsy I found it jarring, and it's so sudden that there's no real time for Smith and Kingston to react in any deep fashion to the Ponds' absence. Compared to episodes like "The Girl Who Waited" - which made me cry like a baby, by the way - it felt shallow.

I like Oswin, though. Beautiful, brilliant, armor-plated and confident; my kind of lady.

Stella

Quote from: Didact on October 26, 2012, 12:21:22 AM
I like Oswin, though. Beautiful, brilliant, armor-plated and confident; my kind of lady.

I'm not sure about her yet. I feel like there wasn't anything too new or interesting about her - we've seen so much of that plucky, flirty attitude from Amy and River. I felt like all of Oswin's lines could easily have come from their mouths, know what I mean? Talking about the Doctor's chin and Rory's nose fencing, encouraging Rory to take his shirt off just for kicks ... I feel like we've seen this before and I really wanted something different.

But! I want to love her, and it really is too early to form lasting opinions, when we don't even know for sure if Oswin is Clara and vice versa!

Is it time for the Christmas special yet?

Usani

WOW!  I never thought this thread would get so many replies/hits.  Now if only I could find someone to do one of my DW roleplay ideas with.  *Le Sigh*  :/

WildCat

Quote from: Didact on October 26, 2012, 12:21:22 AM
Am I the only one who didn't find the last episode particularly moving?

It wasn't bad. I was just very conscious of the fact that the writers wanted the Ponds out of the way. The convoluted logic preventing the Doctor from seeing them again was so flimsy I found it jarring, and it's so sudden that there's no real time for Smith and Kingston to react in any deep fashion to the Ponds' absence. Compared to episodes like "The Girl Who Waited" - which made me cry like a baby, by the way - it felt shallow.

I suspect I was probably choked up at the time. But in retrospect... yeah, not as touching as many. And it does seem to me that new-Who goes a bit too far in justifying why the companions leave. It starts to seem... silly. I guess they were too flip about it in old Who but... some middle ground here. Also, as much as Moffat got as much advance notice as possible to plot out the Ponds leaving... he didn't really seem to do the elaborate long-term planning I'm used to from him.
ONS and OFFS: Make Wildcat purr
Absence: Where's the cheshire Cat?

Don't want to lose track of crossrealms and my room

Polymorph

Stella

Oniya

Quote from: Usani on October 26, 2012, 10:34:53 PM
WOW!  I never thought this thread would get so many replies/hits.  Now if only I could find someone to do one of my DW roleplay ideas with.  *Le Sigh*  :/

You might want to try linking them, like you have with your others.  I know there are quite a few people who do fandom RP (I'd probably mess up any Doctor after 7, though, no matter how adorable I find some of the newer ones.)

Usani

Quote from: Oniya on October 27, 2012, 02:58:00 PM
You might want to try linking them, like you have with your others.  I know there are quite a few people who do fandom RP (I'd probably mess up any Doctor after 7, though, no matter how adorable I find some of the newer ones.)

Thanks I'll give that a shot!  :D

DW rp ideas- https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=152448.msg6957405#msg6957405 (Also, to anyone that reads my ideas I will also do a rp with Rose and the 10th Doctor.)

WildCat

Quote from: Usani on October 26, 2012, 10:34:53 PM
I guarantee, there are people on E that are open to DW rp's. Myself, I'm dubious about playing established characters but would certainly be open to non-MarySue OC's in established fandom realities.

Usani

Quote from: WildCat on October 27, 2012, 04:18:36 PM
I guarantee, there are people on E that are open to DW rp's. Myself, I'm dubious about playing established characters but would certainly be open to non-MarySue OC's in established fandom realities.

I thought the same thing but I've had the thread up for 2 months and nothing.  :/

WildCat

Quote from: Usani on October 27, 2012, 05:27:01 PM
I thought the same thing but I've had the thread up for 2 months and nothing.  :/
Can't speak for anyone else, but I rarely actually look at rp idea threads. Usually, I just meet people on social threads and if there seems to be a literary spark there then maybe we talk about rp ideas.

WildCat

Also... I just glanced through request threads and didn't see anything by you. If it's dropped back to the second or third page, maybe people aren't seeing it for that reason?

*researches* yup, page 10. I rarely check rp request threads. I never read all the way down to the tenth page.

Oniya

That's why I always recommend linking in sigs.  It keeps your post 'accessible' to anyone who interacts with you on any thread.

WildCat

That's a great idea. I do that to help more easily follow my rp threads. Also to make it easy for people to access my O/O list.

Sabby

I just gave Season 5 a try... First episode. I know I've been pretty critical of the show, so I'll stress again I don't hate it. I still dislike the key jingling and the over used Deus Ex Machina, but I will totally admit that that was fucking awesome. Episodes like this are what got me through 4 seasons. I just wish it could always be this good.

Now I'm pretty certain I'll hate episode 2, because there's no way I can find two in a row to gush over :P

Theta Sigma

How I haven't already found this topic is beyond me >_> huge fan, have been since I was a kid. I was utterly devastated when I found out the last series was a year before I was born, and when the revival was announced I was bouncing off the walls.

I'm collecting the classic episodes (54 released ones to go before it's complete currently) and avidly awaiting christmas, which can't come fast enough.

O&Os

A&As/Tracker
They/Them pronouns

Silverfyre

Mm, we just started Season 5 and so far... I'm not a big fan of the 11th Doctor.  I know he is still feeling the role out this early into the season and we are dealing with Moffet now (God, I miss RTD already...) but there just feels like something is missing from the show that the last four seasons had.